The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy)

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Re: The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy)

Post by Anianna » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 pm

I added some info to the resources section of the original post.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm

What do you use in your smoker?

We have tried a mix of pine needles and gum tree prickles, which works ok but doesn't last long. We have also tried cotton fluff from GreenBeehives which lasts longer but, of course, costs more than foraged materials. We are now looking at the Ponderosa Pellets we can buy at Pigeon Mountain Trading Company. Has anybody tried these? I'm curious if they last longer than the cotton fluff.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am

Anianna wrote:What do you use in your smoker?

We have tried a mix of pine needles and gum tree prickles, which works ok but doesn't last long. We have also tried cotton fluff from GreenBeehives which lasts longer but, of course, costs more than foraged materials. We are now looking at the Ponderosa Pellets we can buy at Pigeon Mountain Trading Company. Has anybody tried these? I'm curious if they last longer than the cotton fluff.
We don't actually use a smoker often, most of the time we don't even use suits unless it's honey collecting time then we suit up and use the smoker. In the smoker we use burlap, it gets a really good thick smoke and lasts quite a long time.... Have you tried it? Fabric stores have it for relatively cheap or old sacks of potatoes
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

We have used burlap. It's great, gives lots of white smoke. We have also used white pine needles (dead, collected from under the trees) we have also used staghorn sumac bobs, collected in the fall and used year round.
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 am

My husband had the kids gather pine needles and gum fruits last year and put them in a little can with the intention of storing his smoker fuel. It decomposed in the can quickly and I now have a nice compost. :lol:

We have not tried burlap. I'll look into getting some. Thanks, guys.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm

I like this beeKeeping thread should get more keepers on this to help share information.

I checked with my dad and asked him about when he checks his hives during the winter. I was mistaken he does not check them once the temps drop below 50 deg unless he is really worried about the hive. Where we live though its not uncommon for the middle of winter to creep right around 50 deg on a warm day so that could have been my mistake is that he waits for those warmer days to check the bees out. Just wanted to clarify my previous mistake.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

My husband gets antsy about checking the bees in cold weather. He is constantly asking me when the weather is predicted to be above 50 so he can plan to check them. He prefers 60, though, just to be safe.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am

Yea I think my dad is a little more liberal about it. I know he's opened them when it's "50" whether or not it actually was is his say. Honestly from what I've read (I read what the bees actually do not what people say) I'd be ok to open them even under 50 deg.

The reason I say this is because the winter bees don't go out and gather pollen like other bees. What they do instead is vibrate and dance to keep their bodies warm that's how they actually heat the hive in the winter. Also they keep in the center of the hive to concentrate the heat and protect the brood. Anyways as long as you are careful and don't open the hive and mess with them that much, and as long as it's not to cold out you should be fine to check them...... Especially if you are worried about the hive.

erik_in_tx

Post by erik_in_tx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 am

Anianna wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:Loss of hives always sucks.
We had considered it. The plan was to get two more hives, which would give us four total. The idea was to split the survivors between two of the hives and get nucs for the other two. We ordered the nucs (if you wait too long you don't get any), but something came up and we were only able to purchase one additional hive, so I guess we'll have to not split at this point unless I can find some cash somewhere for another hive.
Sorry for your winter loss. I had a similar loss due to starvation. How many of the HSC/Permacomb frames do you have. I'd suggest taking out the 2 most outer frames. Put in a couple foundationless frames (you'll need a guide, I like the camfer triangle trim board from any home store secured to the top of the wood frame. They'll draw their own comb down from that. Put the new empty frames in the CENTER of the hive. That way they should build small cell brooding cell sizes. They may build some bigger drone cells. That's ok, they're normally raising drones in the wild, your domesticated hive should as well.

For the two HSC/Permacomb frames you removed, just buy a cheap unassembled hive body for $10 or so. The "used" comb will be very attractive to swarms, and since it's plastic it'll be safe from wax moths. Just use a solid plywood board for a bottom board if that's all you can afford. I have that on one hive and the bees don't mind at all. They just go out the notch in the top board. Another opening I'm starting to use is just a side wall opening. Just drill a 1/2 hole in the SIDE (not front) of the hive body and they'll go in/out that. If you do that you can save $$ and just use a plywood roof as well. For very little $$ you'd have a very nice swarm trap. They'll be attracted to the used honey comb. It'd be best if you can fill out the box with empty frames. Either foundationless or small-cell plastic foundation. If you put in wax foundation, wax moths may decimate it before bees can stop them.

I do a lot of cutouts (sideline extra money) and find that bees love little holes to come and go through. Many a house/building wall has just a tiny crack or hole. They like their openings small so they're defensible against robbing neighbor hives. They also seem to love to build comb cross-wise from the entrance hole. My theory is that any wind/draft comes in and gets blocked by that wall of comb. Standard beekeeping seems to have the entrances on the ends, which is probably fine. I'm just noting what I find in wild hives. If you get a swarm or decide to split you don't need to spend lavishly on a full setup. I've founds bees in all kinds of places that they decided they liked to live in. Our little human boxes with removable frames are for our human convenience and honey harvesting. Give them a ghetto home, they won't mind. Add on with more boxes and frames as necessary. I think you could rotate out your plastic frames 2 at a time and let them draw their own comb. Re-use the plastic to give a head start advantage to swarms or nucs. Let your big hive(s) draw new comb rather than making small swarm/nuc hives have to do so when they're already running with minimal reserves.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 am

HOLY CRAP!!!! That's a lot of bees!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hours.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun May 12, 2013 5:09 pm

We ordered nucs and the company is having a hard time meeting the demand of the pre-orders this year, so hubby's been checking Craigslist and spotted this:
I have two hives only. They are the meanest , bad ass bees that ever lived and will follow you into hell in order to sting you, but make the best honey you ever tasted and a lot of it too. If you think you can handle them, 400.00 each. Come in full armor, you will need it.
:shock: :lol:

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon May 27, 2013 11:24 am

Apparently, this year is a disaster for our bees. The nucs we ordered (to be delivered at the end of April) never came and now our one existing hive appears to be queenless. There is no brood whatsoever. That's not the only problem. See anything wrong with this picture?

If you look closely, you see some of those bees are orange with black stripes and some of those bees are black with some yellow stripes. Ours are the orange ones. There on top of the frames, they don't seem to care. They're just milling about as if nothing is wrong and we didn't even realize anything was at first.

Here they are just walking right by each other like it's nothing (left center-ish) and, on the right, one of ours checks out what appears to be a young black bee and then just walks around her as if she's nothing unusual:

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the hive, some of the bees are not so tolerant:

Epic battle right there.

We never did see a swarm, though we kept checking for it. We're not sure what exactly happened - whether the queen swarmed away or was killed by marauders or what. Hubby wants to buy a new queen, but money's tight right now and we're not even sure we can introduce a queen into the mixed hive, so it looks like the beekeeping may have to be put on hold until we can figure out what to do. Hubby's not happy. :(

He's not ready to give up, though. He's calling all over to find a more experienced beekeeper who can give him some advice.

ETA: Further research indicates different color bees in the same hive is not unusual and not a problem, so I'm not sure what instigated the epic battle in the bottom of the hive there. I guess that means we can get a queen for that hive.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 27, 2013 1:35 pm

Sorry to hear about the hives Anianna. Hopefully you get a queen soon and get those hives going! Hoping for the best!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon May 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Hubby managed to find somebody who still has queens available. We should have her by Wednesday. Hopefully, the place that was supposed to send us nucs (which we paid for in advance) will get back to me this week, too. I'm worried it will be too late to put them in this season if we have to wait much longer.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 pm

So, new problem. We got a queen bee in today. Here's a pic (not a great one) of Her Red-spottedness (perhaps we'll name her Scarlett or even Hester) in a JZ/BZ cage with two attendants (the cage is taped to a piece of wood and it all came in a cardboard envelop with holes punched in it):

That's not the problem, that's the good bit. I couldn't get a good pic of the problem, but the workers started laying. If you don't know, this is a bad thing. The workers can only lay drones and if we introduce the queen, the workers who think they are queens and are laying drone cells will kill the queen. I didn't get a good pic of the cells with multiple eggs (an indicator of laying workers), but I did get some pics of drones that we don't see very often but seemed to be all over the place today, like this guy:

and this guy:

Not having any experience with this, we weren't entirely certain what we should do about it. We had a queen in hand but could not introduce her safely to the hive. So, we made a nuc of three empty frames and two end frames from the existing hive. The laying workers should be on the frames on the center of the hive, so should not be transferred to the nuc, but the queen should have some bees to start her hive with. I have no idea if it is enough and neither does my husband, who is the more knowledgeable of the two of us regarding the bees (I just take the pictures and do what is asked of me). So, here's the queen cage installed between the two frames taken from the old hive:

Hopefully, we haven't screwed this all up and the new queen will be able to start a new, healthy hive. We'll see.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed May 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Have you taken the queen out of the case it came in?? If you haven't then great what you want to do is..... Use the frame that the queen came in as put it in the hive. What this will do is allow the hive to get used to the new queen without being able to kill her. They will eventually get used to the smell of the queen and will tolerate her. It can take up to a week, but as little as a few days.

Best of luck. Hope this little info helps.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 am

IceMyst wrote:Have you taken the queen out of the case it came in?? If you haven't then great what you want to do is..... Use the frame that the queen came in as put it in the hive. What this will do is allow the hive to get used to the new queen without being able to kill her. They will eventually get used to the smell of the queen and will tolerate her. It can take up to a week, but as little as a few days.

That was the initial idea, but our bee guys told us not to put her in the hive if there was potentially a queen or if the workers had started laying. Giving them time to get used to her wouldn't matter then. That's what you do for a hive that needs a queen, not for one that thinks it doesn't need a queen. Or, at least that's what we've been told by our mentors.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 am

Here is what a wax moth invasion looks like:

These were not in our hive, but in some frames that had been stored carelessly in a shed. If you want to keep the wax comb on frames in storage, it is best to freeze them. If you don't need to keep the wax on the frame, melt it off and used it to make stuff. I put these frames in the freezer to kill the infestation and then we'll either cut the trails out or we'll melt the wax off the frames.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 am

Anianna wrote:
IceMyst wrote:Have you taken the queen out of the case it came in?? If you haven't then great what you want to do is..... Use the frame that the queen came in as put it in the hive. What this will do is allow the hive to get used to the new queen without being able to kill her. They will eventually get used to the smell of the queen and will tolerate her. It can take up to a week, but as little as a few days.

That was the initial idea, but our bee guys told us not to put her in the hive if there was potentially a queen or if the workers had started laying. Giving them time to get used to her wouldn't matter then. That's what you do for a hive that needs a queen, not for one that thinks it doesn't need a queen. Or, at least that's what we've been told by our mentors.
I'm going down to my parents today I'll ask my dad and see what he thinks I guess I didn't completely understand what you were saying. I haven't run into that myself so I'm not 100% positive. Beekeeping is always an adventure!!!! Ha!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am

IceMyst wrote:
Anianna wrote:

I'm going down to my parents today I'll ask my dad and see what he thinks I guess I didn't completely understand what you were saying. I haven't run into that myself so I'm not 100% positive. Beekeeping is always an adventure!!!! Ha!
I look forward to the response. Basically, we had no brood whatsoever over the weekend and only one open queen cell. Our bee guys told us that if the hive has a new queen, we should see more than just the one queen cell. When we went to insert the new queen we had ordered, we found some brood, which means that we either have a queen or we have laying workers. Considering the poor brood pattern, the fact that most of it was not at all capped, and we have a larger than usual drone population, I'm thinking that it is most likely that we have laying workers rather than a queen, but we shall see. We saw only one cell with multiple eggs and we have been told that, if it was laying workers, there would be a lot of cells with double eggs. That hive may actually have a queen.

On a somewhat related note, I've been considering these wax melting boxes. Wouldn't it be simpler to just hang the wax in some screen in a glass jar and set it out in the sun for the day?

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Yea, I haven't come across what you just explained I'm completely out of my element my dad my have better info ill ask him when he's off.

As for the melting process I could see that working if its hot enough. What I do is get an old pot (I went to a thrift store and got one), get all the wax and melt it on low heat so all the bee bits and other stuff sink to the bottom. Wait for it to cool and beak it free. Then cut the bottom part off, it's the part with all the black and ugly looking wax. Melt the good wax and when it's hot send it through a strainer into a pot or container with parchment paper. Let cool and you have pretty looking wax great for what ever you want to use it for.

Edited for careless typing errors
Last edited by Halfapint on Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Awesome, thanks.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri May 31, 2013 4:52 pm

My husband posted on a local beekeeping site and a local beekeeper contacted him. He said that we basically did the best there was to do given the situation and now it's a waiting game to see if the hive has a new queen (some cells I initially thought were drone cells may have been queen cells) and to see if the bees placed in the nuc with the new queen will take to her. So, we wait.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 pm

I forgot to post yesterday (but scatterbrained) but that's exactly what my dad said as well. Wait and seeing you get a queen, and see what happens. The Nuc should be alright from what he said he's actually taken small swarms and combined them with weak hives and they've done really well. If the queen is strong as most queens are that get shipped she should have no problem having the others take to her.

I have a feeling you'll be presently suprised at the end of the season!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”