It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:09 am 

DOHC_Holiday wrote:
Can't be worse than mine. I have iffy wooden fences on 3 sides and a half-assed chain-link in the back (which also happens to back up to a cemetary). If the dead rise, I'll be the first to know. Subscribe to my Twitter for early warning!

You are so screwed.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 am 

400 Grains wrote:
DOHC_Holiday wrote:
Can't be worse than mine. I have iffy wooden fences on 3 sides and a half-assed chain-link in the back (which also happens to back up to a cemetary). If the dead rise, I'll be the first to know. Subscribe to my Twitter for early warning!

You are so screwed.....

boned...

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 pm 

5' high high tensile multi thousand volt electrified agricultural fencing with posts 3' deep

The greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and shelter - B. Mollison

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

AdLucem wrote:
5' high high tensile multi thousand volt electrified agricultural fencing with posts 3' deep

:shock:

What are you keeping in there?? I've been raised on farms and around farms and I've never seen such a thing. My curiosity is piqued.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 pm 

Anianna wrote:
AdLucem wrote:

What are you keeping in there?? I've been raised on farms and around farms and I've never seen such a thing. My curiosity is piqued.

Cyberdog and I were out on a hike once pickney waterloo, we came across this 12' tall VERY Heavy fence with barbed wire on top facing inside, with no tresspassing signs every several posts... we didn't thin anything of it... both of us being in ZS we made a few jokes about how the fence was to keep the zombies from getting out...

then we saw signs saying "biological testing facility- DO NOT ENTER"... :shock: :shock:

we started walking a bit quicker lol, we also heard rapid multiple gunshots.. and apparently the range was closed... we LOL'd a bit, but I slept very lightly :lol:

technician level ham \ Range Safety Officer

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Erie quiet wrote:
Anianna wrote:
AdLucem wrote:

Cyberdog and I were out on a hike once pickney waterloo, we came across this 12' tall VERY Heavy fence with barbed wire on top facing inside, with no tresspassing signs every several posts... we didn't thin anything of it... both of us being in ZS we made a few jokes about how the fence was to keep the zombies from getting out...

then we saw signs saying "biological testing facility- DO NOT ENTER"... :shock:

we started walking a bit quicker lol, we also heard rapid multiple gunshots.. and apparently the range was closed... we LOL'd a bit, but I slept very lightly :lol:

:shock: :gonk:

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 pm 

Anianna wrote:

yea, we officially call it the zombie farm now....

weirdest part?... it was run by U of M :?

I guess in this world

but for real... OT my perimiter security is non existant :(

technician level ham \ Range Safety Officer

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 am 

Not very. It needs constant reassurance.

There used to be a Dunkin' Donuts near my house, one night my roomate and I walked up to get coffee and crullers. There's an older cemetary on the way, separated from the sidewalk by a high black wrought iron fence.

On the way back we noticed that there was a sign on the fence, repeated every six feet or so, that said "After hours EMERGENCY number call: ***-****"

We joked about what could constitute an after hours emergency at a graveyard. My friend suggested "IDK. Zombies?" and we laughed a bit. Then picked up our walking pace...
Edited spelling

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Last edited by squinty on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:07 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

There is a church here with a graveyard having no perimeter, but the graves are each capped with a concrete slab rather than dirt. My husband says it's so the zombies can get out easier when it's time for them to rise. :gonk:

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:00 am 

Not very. We rent a place with ten acres. (All of the plots in this area are all at least ten acres.) There are only 3 usable acres and the rest is a swampy type area in the back. ( I guess this is a good way to keep some folks out). We have one neighbor that is right beside of us. Half of the front yard and the line next to that neighbor is fenced with old hog wire. The first owners did a good job with the shrubs and trees that they picked for the front yard and that side yard though. We have azalea bushes, cedar trees and several other species lining the roadway in. There are also several climbing vines such as honey suckle that are running along the fence as well. The fence is on the outside of the property but the bushes and trees are very close to the fence. You can just barely see the house as you are driving by during the warm months when all of the leaves are sprouted. The house is easily seen during the winter periods however. There is no gate and after the drive way the fencing falls into disrepair. I would love to fix it up and add to it to cover the 3 or so acres that are workable. The house itself is a 3 story monster. It started out as a brick ranch. Then the owner added on a basement level and a first story addition as well as an attic addition. There are 3 entrance doors. The ones on the front and on the side are solid wood with lock and deadbolt and one has a hinge lock and the other a bolt lock addition. The basement door is steel with a regular lock and a bolt lock as well. This door in on the extreme outside that leads into hubby's work area ( he has all of his tools and stuff set up there. The doors into the basement from his workshop area are french glass doors. We have the glass covered in the break proof film and two locks on the door but I really don't like having all glass doors! I worry about 5 windows on the first level and the two windows in the basement room being breached. We put the film on the two basement windows as well but have not put it on the first floor windows. Three of the front windows are easily accessible from the ground and the two side windows are high up but the AC unit is directly under one allowing access and the side porch makes it easy to get to the other one. I would love to finish putting the film on all of these windows as well as the small battery operated alarms that disconnects and screams when the window or door is opened. The rest of the windows are high enough off of the ground that they would require a ladder to get into them and there are no objects nearby that could be used to climb up on. We have an excellent dog that barks at everything from the birds to cars driving by. She is on her toes and does a great job. I can count on her to sound the alarm if anyone drives by the road or comes onto the property. I would love to be able to buy this place and fix it up the way we want it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 am 

70 acres of thick briar infested swamp on one side that is fenced with only one opening to allow me access and deer to come and go at their leisure.
200 acres of open field cow pasture behind us all fenced with a nice hill to pick zombies off at a distance.
fron is road all fenced with heavy woodland and wire fence.
other side is also heavily wooded one neighbor on 30 acres and fenced as well.
only one access road onto property being our driveway. Has dakota alert on it at various locations to track movement of vehicles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:19 am 

Location: Leaning on an acacia, deliciously shaded, with the occasional sunbeam streaking through leaves.
I believe we're okay here. Our house is on the top-most part of a private subdivision, which gives us a good view of the surroundings. We have a 9 ft concrete fence with an equally high steel gate--this was insisted on by my Dad because he's BIG on privacy. Iron grills on the windows and doors, a second exit at the back that is also protected with iron grills. We have our own water tank, fruit trees, vegetable garden and will be adding a small poultry set-up soon. Behind our house is a gigantic tank that supplies the entire subdivision next to ours. We also have other fruit trees in the surrounding area beside our house.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 pm 

I have plywood. Lots and lots of plywood. And 2X4s.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:55 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

bonanacrom wrote:
I have no fence. I rely on the over powering sense of evil that radiated from the house to keep people away.

It must be all the collars jingling in the breeze.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:57 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Don't go there. There is evil in that place.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Thorn hedges, fencing & gates surround my farm but all those could be clambered over with varying degrees of difficulty.
My sheep would also either spook & make a commotion or think its feeding time & make a commotion. They're an alarm system of sorts.
Also both doors have 5 lever mortice locks, and I keep my ground floor windows locked.
The lane into the my farmyard is the weakest link as we rarely ever close it's gate.

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread