Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:37 pm 

I have been trying to think of a way to set up a very simple home on a large lot of land that is in the sierra nevadas at about 4,000 feet., annual snow is about 36". My thought is to purchase a large prefabricated shed from home depot and modify it to withstand the winter conditions with a wood burning stove and loft sleeping arrangement. any info or links about similar solutions are greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:26 pm 

You might want to check local zoning codes and building ordinances first, CA has some odd laws that could affect what you are able to build.

I built this

10 x 12 with wall height of 8 foot. I have a loft with almost 5 feet of space over the deck.

I put this up over a long weekend with help from two other folks - and I screwed everything together.
A chopsaw, nailgun and knowing the kind of roof you want and you can get started. I made my own plans and it took very little effort. Framing in the commercial door was the biggest issue.
I built a second shed at my SIL place and we had a nailgun for that - took less than a day to have it framed and covered.

Since I put this up we've had record snowfall (for Alaska) and a huge, knock trees down windstorm and didn't loose a shingle.

Good luck, it can be fun to build your own.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:27 pm 

insulation for comfort, and safety are my main concerns, years ago i saw someone use corrugated sheet metal spaced with carriage bolts to help radiate heat and keep the walls from catching on fire around the woodstove. Will most likely have a stone or tile floor(?) and use drop rugs around the rest of the living space.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 pm 

I've always thought some of those large sheds would make a nice little cabin... But you can build them cheaper yourself and they are easier to transport that way, lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm 

JFlagg wrote:
I've always thought some of those large sheds would make a nice little cabin... But you can build them cheaper yourself and they are easier to transport that way, lol.

Much cheaper to build yourself or maybe even hire a contractor to huild one. That is how our last shed got built while I was deployed. It was half the price of the same shed at HD

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:52 pm 

Exactly... Some of the bigger ones are $5-6,000 and only really have $1500-2000 in material in them... Not to mention I can engineer it to fit what I want a little better. I could find 100's of plans online too if I actually needed them.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

housebrew wrote:
insulation for comfort, and safety are my main concerns, years ago i saw someone use corrugated sheet metal spaced with carriage bolts to help radiate heat and keep the walls from catching on fire around the woodstove. Will most likely have a stone or tile floor(?) and use drop rugs around the rest of the living space.

You can insulate the shed with standard construction insulation (the pink stuff that comes pre-cut in 8ft lenghts for 16" center studs). Hang that stuff inside the shed and sheet-rock the interior. Add a proper flue and get a hearth pad sized for your stove. Make sure you've got enough space between the stove and the wall and you shouldn't have any problems with fire hazards.

Since you want to put a loft in it (you can buy those sheds pre-lofted, BTW), you'll have to take that into account when you install the flue.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:13 pm 

thanks everyone, will look into cost vs convenience. I really like the idea of being able to have more control of the design and floorplan.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:39 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

CA does have weird zoning laws. We lived out in BFE, only falling under county, not city limits. We had to build two lean-to's for our horses, because one would have been too large and require permits and inspections. These are simple 3 sided buildings that aren't designed as any sort of residence, but they still fell under the zoning laws. The idea itself is pretty solid though.

Check out http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/. That will give you a lot of ideas on how comfortable you can make such a small floor plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:19 pm 

where i want to build my shed is really remote and full of timber, it will go unnoticed. i think a pre fab will be a great start, then modify slowly. have no intent on making look like a home, simple and discreet though the future addition of a small array of solar panels is going to be hard to hide from the sky. working on it......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My grandfather-in-law purchased a prefab wooden shed kit which was roughly 12x20 or 12x16 and basically built a bunkhouse of of it. Ran electric/insulation along the walls, threw up some sheet rock and paint and added some carpets/ceiling fans and we always had a clean/dry place to stay. The only issues he ran into was with the propane heater he attached to the wall for the winter months, it required a few additional vents to avoid carbon monoxide build up. Otherwise it was a great space to sleep in, there was always a double bed in there and you could easily add two single cots when needed. While he did put in a camp sink, there were no formal facilities, however it was only a walk across the driveway to the main house for those.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 pm 

Sewage, water, road access? How is the area zoned for use? Are there other small cabins in the area, large mansions or does there seem to be a strange absence of construction (prohibition?)?
I think legal sewage, water and access will be your biggest legal obstacles. I seriously doubt you will be able to build without getting noticed and tagged for illegal construction. CA is very strict about this.
This is why many people just build a pad for a camper (or Yurt) and tow it away during the off season. It avoids most of the legal issues and logistical headaches. The neighbors and inspectors are placated this is not going to be some hovel with a sewage issue that becomes a long term problem.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:42 am 

Your idea is really good. Instead of venturing in making a cement base home wood one feels a little more homely and related to environment. I was just thinking of insects rodents and other such stuff will not spoil the wood. So special care have to be taken in that way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:06 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Just a thought... 20 foot Conex? Way more tweeker-proof when you are not there... Be careful of code enforcement though. They are a PITA...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:35 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I live in a modified garage kit from Sutherlands lumber.
Been living in it full time for over a year and a half, since my last marital mistake :clap: .
Its 12x20, and I left the end bay door as a solid wall. Insulated the Hel out of it and installed a thru the wall chimney from Simpson. I took the wood cook stove out when I had a residential propane tank delivered.
All appliances (full sized) are propane. Fridge, range/oven & wall heater.
I put real house doors & thermal windows in. Its quite comfy.
Its never dropped below 40F indoors with only the pilot lights on! But... in the summer you can cook a meal & have to sleep outside.
I've used 45% of a 500 gal propane tank in the past year.
Enjoy your project.
(edited, for grammar)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 am 

Unnoticed is hard in the Google Earth era...

phractal - 4/2/13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm 

What about building a car port that can handle the weight of snow and a camper or RV? I can find Halfway decent campers on craigslets for 4-6 grand. It's go everything you need in a small house and can run everything off propane. You could proably run everything off a battery bank/solar if you got that set up. That MAY be a way of getting around some building codes/laws by making it a camp site. Every once and a while you have to move it to get rid of the sewage so that may alleviate a "permanent" redisidence problem. But this is all just conjecture and guessing, I don't know any of the local laws where you're planning on building. That would be the first thing I would check out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:57 pm 

Or a yurt. On a budget, cut some corners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 am 

I am doing something similar for my Off The Grid Home life goal. Here's a list of a few things I was looking at getting for it. But one thing I recommend is you get a place with a loft space and make sure to make that one extra floor by adding boards to cover any hole or gap. Also if you want to be smart, replace all windows with 3 pane windows. Here's a list of stuff I have on the side so I know what to buy.

$2,499.00 For Windturbine
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nature-Power ... kz9TBD_Dis

$2,000.00 Extra Odds and Ends

$439.00 Cast Iron Wood Stove
http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-Log ... kz--RD_Dit

$699.00 Green House
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-8-ft- ... kz_PhD_Dis

$2,897.00 Solar Panels
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar- ... kz_sBD_Dis

$218.00 Wood Shed
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Newpor ... k0AMxD_Dis

$38.99 Indoor Wood Storage
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-Stor ... k0AYBD_Dis

$458.00 Compost Bin
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Mar-100- ... k0CGBD_Dis

$2,399.99 Underground Water Tanks
http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetail ... rt=N-42559

Some things I don't have that could be useful is a ram pump, more storage, and other things that could be useful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:10 pm 

Zoombee wrote:
Or a yurt. On a budget, cut some corners.

Fortress Yurt A yurt with wood walls and real windows
http://www.spiritmountainyurts.com/fortress.htm
Standard Fortress Prices:

16 ft (200 square feet) ($5,930.00)

20 ft (315 square feet) ($6,920.00)

24 ft (450 square feet) ($7,820.00)

30 ft (710 square feet) ($9,980.00)

Standard Yurts from Spirit Mountain Yurts
http://www.spiritmountainyurts.com/priceinfo.htm

16 ft (200 square feet) $3,860.00

20 ft (315 square feet) $4,850.00

24 ft (450 square feet) $5,930.00

30 ft (710 square feet) $6,920.00

There are plenty of good deals on shed/cabins out there. If you hunt around you can find some stuff like this $99 down no credit check
Buy A Tiny House for $100 Down

There are of course other designs out there, some much bigger with 2nd stories. Of course you could easily build rather than buy premade ones which would cut the hassle of getting it to the property and could cut the costs.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ineffableone wrote:

That interior is just gorgeous. Proof positive that living frugally/simply doesn't always mean you have to live a tiny, cramped hovel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
Proof positive that living frugally/simply doesn't always mean you have to live a tiny, cramped hovel.

Given what I've been forced to learn lately about doing that kind of an interior, I can guarantee you that "frugally" does not enter into it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:52 am 

I had a similar thought, the shed in my back yard would be perfect for out on the property as a place to crash (not as a permanent residence) with a wood stove for winter and window mounted A/C + Generator in summer...

But codes and laws and permits... I know there are some (though I haven't a _clue_ where to start), and it's certainly frustrating. I know they exist for good reason, but knowing you can't just go on your property and build a little cabin to crash in for a weekend without being a damn lawyer...