Feb 28th, Omaha Area

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Feb 28th, Omaha Area

Post by qwertyuiop » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Saturday, Feb 28th, I'm going to take some guns out that need to be shot for various reasons. I'll be taking them to The Bullet Hole (http://thebh.com/), and ZSers can consider this an open invitation. Any ZSers who want to shoot a Galil clone, a Remington 870, or a 1911 that killed Nazis is welcome to show up. Bring your own ammo - .223, 12ga, and/or .45acp. Read through the rest of the post, and let me know if you want to show up!

If any of you Omaholer dwellers is familliar with The Bullet Hole's rules on ammo, follow them. If you're not: The .223 will have to be SP. The 12 ga. will need to be slug or buckshot, and it will also have to be 2 3/4 shells, as the 870 I'm taking out is older than the hills. The .45 can be unjacketed, jacketed, JP or JHP. The Ultramax bulk stuff runs great in this particular piece. If you can't find the stuff you're looking for, they DO sell it at the range. It's actually not too horrible of a gouge, either...

The Galil clone runs great on most ammo, I'm still playing around with some of the steel mags to get the kind of reliability I want. The synthetic mags work great, though! The 870 is an old bird gun that has recently had a trigger group rebuild and is going to be an SBS soon. The .45 is grandpa's, and I want to see how it shoots. Haven't put more than 25 rounds through it since he passed it down.

Things to keep in mind:

If you're under 19 (Yeah, it's 19 in Nebraska), you'll need to bring Mom and/or Dad. Them's the breaks, kid... But they're welcome to shoot, too.

Be prepared to pay for your own ammo, range time, and either bring your own eyes and ears or rent some at the range. I'll bring a couple handfuls of foamies, but if I forget or run out, you're SOL. Bring your own targets (paper, cardboard) or buy them at the range. They range from $.50 up to $3.00, depending on what you want.

The place gets P A C K E D on weekends, so I'm showing up 15 minutes before they open. Be prompt, or be prepared to wait! There are only 3 people allowed at any given time in a lane. I'm taking three guns, so we can get three lanes side-by-side if we get there early enough (and if the turnout is high enough to warrant it).

If you've never shot guns before.... GREAT! I've grown up with them, and I've been teaching people how to shoot everything from BB guns to the M60 since I was old enough to talk. If you've shot guns before, but aren't familiar with how these particular guns work, DON'T WORRY. I'll explain everything you need to know. If you know how to shoot, that's cool too.

If you aren't prepared to be SAFE and POLITE when you handle my guns, don't show up. If you don't think you'll like the idea of someone getting real loud, real quick if you aren't safe, don't show up. There shouldn't be any hurt feelings when firearms safety is the topic of discussion. An honest mistake is an honest mistake, but if I ask you to put the gun down because I don't like the way you're handling it for whatever reason, you WILL put it down - this is not to say that I am not ready to have you come out and play with all of the knobs, levers, switches, ask questions, and have a great time... But I want to make it clear due to problems in the past that I won't tolerate silliness with firearms.

If it looks like it's going to be a nice weekend, I've heard rumors of some public land over across the river in IA that is OK to shoot on. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It would be a lot nicer to be able to shoot bulk jacketed through the .223, and shooting outdoors is always more fun anyhow.

JohnnyMayhem

Re: Feb 28th, Omaha Area

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Dammit!

Wife has some friends in from out of town.

I'll see what I can do though.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Bring the wife and friends!

Rhep

Post by Rhep » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:45 pm

I can try to make it, good excuse for the wife and I to play with the new toys (her Walther and my AR).

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 pm

misterfuffie wrote:Bring the wife and friends!

I'm trying but their knitters. (and she isn't a big fan of guns)

Can you still rent the full autos there?
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 am

Johnny: Yeah, you can. They're junkers, and so worn out that you have to use low velo ammo HAHA. God forbid they replace any springs...

If I remember correctly they have an Uzi and a Mac. :roll:

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:09 pm

misterfuffie wrote:J

If I remember correctly they have an Uzi and a Mac. :roll:
Am I required to hold it sideways and to shoot it as well? :D

I'll work on her a bit, and if I can swing it, I might just bring my 995. (if not, well I don't know)

(And yeah I kind of wish that I could bring my old laptop to send down range there too.)
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Well, if any ZSers end up showing up, look for the tall guy in the red plaid hat... I'll wear it so I'm easy to pick out!

Rhep

Post by Rhep » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:40 am

Wont be able to make this one, friend from work is making us help watch their kid's b.day party at that water resort/hotel thing.

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:11 pm

What are the roads like today? I just got done clearing out 6 inch deep snow up here.

They really half ass the road clearing here.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Rhep

Post by Rhep » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:23 pm

So how did the shooting go?

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 am

I still feel crappy for not making it.

It was though kind of funny watching my wife's friend freak out becuase he has only seen snow twice in his life. (I'm easily amused)
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Shooting was good. It was just me and some non ZS friends.

I'm headed out again tomorrow (the 7th) and the same deal goes, if anyone is interested.

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:29 pm

AAARRRGGHHHH

I just got back from taking my dogs to the vet. (and that was an experience from hell)

Now I gotta vacuum all of the hair and drool out of the van. (and who knows what else at this rate)
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Rhep

Post by Rhep » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Wish I would have checked the board sooner! I woulda swung out, was looking for something to do all day! (aside from getting the new re-loading stuff all sorted out).

On another note, Friday my great-uncle gave me a few grand in centerfire reloading gear:

1 multi-stage press
1 Single stage press
somewhere around 23 different caliber dies
several thousand rounds of primers/bullets/cases/powder for everything from .222 - .44 - 7mm mag

All I have to do is reload a few thousand shells for him a year, and I got it for free 8) My family kicks ass

Return to “Meeting room”