It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Strictly Multitools
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I think there may be some variance on the interpretation of "destructive testing". YouTube has show plenty of examples of folks that will buy a knife, demonstrate its proficiency under normal use, and then test it in increasingly impractical and unreasonable scenarios (hammering a knife through a cinder block) until it is completely destroyed. That is a bit beyond the pale. If it is a question of testing these heavy-duty products under real-world conditions, and then expecting warranty service in the event of failure, that's perfectly reasonable.

The people that irritate me are the ones that buy broken tools for cheap and then try to get them repaired/replaced under warranty. Fortunately the companies with good warranty service seem to have found ways of dealing with those folks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:25 pm 

airballrad wrote:
If it is a question of testing these heavy-duty products under real-world conditions, and then expecting warranty service in the event of failure, that's perfectly reasonable.

Exactly. But that's not a destruction test.

As for function, I've done a deal of testing on the MTs I own, and have posted some of my findings.
Scissors: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.0.html
Wire cutter on 12-gauge wire: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36641.0.html
Can Opener: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37059.0.html

There has been... emm... 'substantial debate' on the MT.O boards over can openers' ability to function on #10 cans, and as I don't get a lot of #10 cans, I haven't been able to do testing on them yet. So that portion is still up for debate. Although honestly, can openers aren't exactly the most necessary tools for most folks.

The only tools I've tested that have absolutely failed at their intended task were the can opener on a SOG Powerlock, and a phillips driver on an (admittedly old) Voctorinox Explorer swiss army knife. Everything else is just degrees of how good the tool is, or how heavy duty it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm 

Greetings,

Right... MT.O... which is? I keep seeing that.

I can't count the number of philips No. 2 tips I have destroyed on philips screws. Didn't know about the issues with the powerlock can-opener but a multi-tool that your company says is chosen by "our nations finest" would have to be able to open T-rations & #10 cans. Wire cutters would need to consistantly cut concertina. Flat head screw drivers would need to open paint cans, etc. What is normal use is definitely subject to interpretation. Hence so is misuse.

airballrad, your beloved Leatherman is one who doesn't specify an original owner requirement for their repair or replace warranty. And as such, if someone buys a broke tool on the cheap and is willing to pay the shipping to get it fixed... I think it is reasonable given the price tag on their tools. That is really standing by their product.

I have a Gerber LMF II ASEK that is supposed to "cut through helicopter sheet metal for downed pilots." I have seen it has been tested on sheet metal and passed. I would expect Gerber to honor the warranty if it was damaged cutting through sheet metal. Have a great week. So long as I am the original owner.

S/
K

EDIT: MT-O = Multi-Tool. Org: Got it now. Clicked your links and good reviews. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

kevlarsamurai wrote:
airballrad, your beloved Leatherman is one who doesn't specify an original owner requirement for their repair or replace warranty. And as such, if someone buys a broke tool on the cheap and is willing to pay the shipping to get it fixed... I think it is reasonable given the price tag on their tools. That is really standing by their product.

My observation on this is that when someone suddenly starts flooding them with warranty tools, they eventually stop doing the repairs. There was a dude who used to post on MT.O that decided to do this as a side business; he'd buy messed up ebay tools on the cheap and mail them in to get refurb tools which he would then resell. I'm not sure just how many they did for him before pulling the plug, but I know they did eventually cut him off.

When you cut your way out of a helicopter with an LMF ASEK (great knife, btw), you are using it to its design spec. If you try to do the same with a Gerber MP600 or a Leatherman Wave you're probably exceeding the design spec, although I am positive that Leatherman and I suspect that Gerber would replace them anyway.

I have heard many stories of Leatherman replacing tools that had been abused because the perception of excellent service has paid off for them in the long run. The guy who does it 12 times in 6 months is the one who threatens to screw up a good system like that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:31 pm 

No need to be a dick, it's just an opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm 

kevlarsamurai wrote:
Didn't know about the issues with the powerlock can-opener but a multi-tool that your company says is chosen by "our nations finest" would have to be able to open T-rations & #10 cans.

Yeah, well, that'd be what I'd expect too, but surprise surprise, it won't open cans for crap. Shocking, but ... I mean, I tested this thing, and it simply doesn't work. I know must military meals these days are MRE, but not all of them.

Also, on the reviews: Thanks. I try to make them reasonable, realistic, unbiased, and helpful.

Hey Airballrad, I seem to recall (for some strange reason) that you have a SOG Powerlock. You ever tested the can opener?

EDIT: also, let me reitterate, my can opening tests have not yet included #10 cans, since I don't (ever) get them. And talking my husband into letting me buy 6lbs of food I don't intend to eat just to test my crazy doesn't set real well with him. :lol:

Tookieblueeyes, nice video review.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm 

And now I HAVE tested #10 cans...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37113.0.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:01 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

In case anyone is interested, the recently discontinued Leatherman tools seem to be getting put on Clearance at some stores. I picked up some at half price the other day, and I've seen/heard of other stores doing the same.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 am 

airballrad wrote:
In case anyone is interested, the recently discontinued Leatherman tools seem to be getting put on Clearance at some stores. I picked up some at half price the other day, and I've seen/heard of other stores doing the same.

Good to know...which ones have been discontinued?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Black Optimus wrote:
Good to know...which ones have been discontinued?

The Kick and Fuse have been discontinued; the new Rebar should be appearing in stores in the next couple weeks so the Blast will likely be discontinued soon too.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 pm 

Leatherman Rebar is now out in stores, if anyone cares.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 pm 

If anyone cares, I recently picked up a Victorinox One-Hand Trekker. It is the best one-hand opening blade I've found so far as a lefty. I don't own a ton, mind you, but it's better than my Spyderco Delica. Plus it has a lot of other good tools on it. The saw is excellent. The flathead driver is extra heavy-duty, and locks. And the testing of the Reamer on Victorinox tools has shocked me how well they work. The Saw on the Trekker is also the best in the small group of tools I own.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 am 

Lynn LeFey wrote:
If anyone cares, I recently picked up a Victorinox One-Hand Trekker. It is the best one-hand opening blade I've found so far as a lefty. I don't own a ton, mind you, but it's better than my Spyderco Delica. Plus it has a lot of other good tools on it. The saw is excellent. The flathead driver is extra heavy-duty, and locks. And the testing of the Reamer on Victorinox tools has shocked me how well they work. The Saw on the Trekker is also the best in the small group of tools I own.

I care!

(picks or it didn't happen)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:23 pm 

It TOTALLY happened.

Here's the pic. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:08 pm 

It's a good looking tool, but I don't care for all of the serrations on the blade.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:42 pm 

I'm not the biggest fan of the serrations myself, but I've done a little reshaping of vic blades, and should the urge grab me, I don't think it would take much effort to turn this into a full straight-edge.

However, I used that serrated blade today, and it was very nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:46 pm 

Do you think a plain jane Leatherman Wave would make a good bugout/camp multi-tool?

SMoAF wrote:
Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:50 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I think so 0122. I have one and been useing it for umm 10 years edcing and work,hunting,camping and its been fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:26 am 

I don't own a ton of top-end MTs, but I have a Wave, and it has thus far been a great performer. Every single tool works well. The bit holders greatly expend its potential usefulness. It has a LOT of functionality: both serrated and standard blade, very good saw, excellent file (IMO), wire cutters work pretty well, can opener is good. When i got mine, the person selling it (used) was kind enough to include the partial bit kit from a Charge (I think), along with the detachable pocket clip. So mine might be a little more useful than stock.

The only repeated shortcoming I've heard is a lack of awl, but if you have a full or partial bit kit, you can grind one of the less used bits into an awl to cover that.

I found out the other day that the mini screwdriver bit is good for cleaning stuff out of the saw blade after use. I've heard of folks using the diamond file to sharpen other blades. Unfortunately, the file isn't removable like with the Surge, so you can't use it to sharpen its own blades.

I have my wave in my BOB. So, yeah, I'd consider it a good tool.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:27 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Lynn LeFey wrote:
I don't own a ton of top-end MTs, but I have a Wave, and it has thus far been a great performer. ...When i got mine, the person selling it (used) was kind enough to include the partial bit kit from a Charge (I think), along with the detachable pocket clip.

That is correct; that is the bit assortment that comes with the Charge.
Lynn LeFey wrote:
I've heard of folks using the diamond file to sharpen other blades. Unfortunately, the file isn't removable like with the Surge, so you can't use it to sharpen its own blades.

That's why you get another Wave/Charge so they can sharpen each other. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:36 pm 

Its hard to find a good one I have a wave and a kick, I like the wave but really have never used the micro bit or the scissors would rather see maybe an awl. But I love the fact you can open the knives without have to open the entire tool.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Lynn LeFey wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of the serrations myself, but I've done a little reshaping of vic blades, and should the urge grab me, I don't think it would take much effort to turn this into a full straight-edge.

However, I used that serrated blade today, and it was very nice.

I picked up a Victorinox Soldier, which seemingly looks more or less the same as the Trekker. I love the one-handed design. I thought I'd hate the main blade being serrated, but I'm discovering that it's better suited for what I use it for. Opening up boxes, that kind of thing.

I really like the bottle opener on this thing, too. So I mix it up -- I have the Leatherman Surge for more serious work, and the Soldier for lighter EDC.

Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:
BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)

But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html - Errors in English Usage

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:11 pm 

Yeah, the only difference between the Soldier and Trekker are the scales. The Trekker has plain scales in some single color (read or black, maybe other colors), which have the toothpick and tweezers in them. The Soldier has the double material scales, OD green with black rubber grip areas.That's the only difference I know of.

And yeah, that flathead/bottle opener on the Trekker/Soldier is a monster, isn't it? Locking, and SUPER sturdy.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:23 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Lynn LeFey wrote:
Yeah, the only difference between the Soldier and Trekker are the scales. The Trekker has plain scales in some single color (read or black, maybe other colors), which have the toothpick and tweezers in them. The Soldier has the double material scales, OD green with black rubber grip areas.That's the only difference I know of.

And yeah, that flathead/bottle opener on the Trekker/Soldier is a monster, isn't it? Locking, and SUPER sturdy.

Yeah totally - it's definitely a quality tool and I am loving it so far.

Sometime tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm going to take a family photo of the SAK's I have. I recently found some that I thought I had lost, including my first ever!

Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:
BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)

But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html - Errors in English Usage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next