Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thrift Shop finds
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:14 pm 

I found a Pendelton wool coat for my wife at Goodwill. Fits her great and goet almost to her ankles. five dollars.

She loves it. If she hadn't been with me, I might have saved it for a christmas present.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

ForgeCorvus wrote:

Nij-bow. Promise me you'll stay over there, I don't need that kind of karma when charity shopping :wink:

I will wreck your day! It will be a day of an aisle wooden salad bowls and sweaters marked "large" that are actually "medium". A day of the one style of shoe you are looking for - there will be only one of them and no one will ever find the other. A shopping trip that will end with you finding a drill only to take it home and it will not work. Do you need 4 matching dishes? How about only 3 in a set. That TV? How would you like to own the only TV in your country not comaptible with the norm? "Shit, didn't notice this has a different klind of plug!"

This is my power. :|

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ninja-elbow wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:

Nij-bow. Promise me you'll stay over there, I don't need that kind of karma when charity shopping :wink:

I will wreck your day! It will be a day of an aisle wooden salad bowls and sweaters marked "large" that are actually "medium". A day of the one style of shoe you are looking for - there will be only one of them and no one will ever find the other. A shopping trip that will end with you finding a drill only to take it home and it will not work. Do you need 4 matching dishes? How about only 3 in a set. That TV? How would you like to own the only TV in your country not comaptible with the norm? "Shit, didn't notice this has a different klind of plug!"

This is my power. :|

I didn't tell you where I live did I ?? :shock:

You sir, are the inverse of my brother (a man who cannot hold a piece of paper without winning a raffle with it)...... My only worry is working out which one of you is the Super-Villain :lol:

Winner, PMBoB

ZS:X- Its time to top Zed and drink Earl Grey... And we're all out of lemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:07 pm 

Thrift stores are great but you need to go often, it becomes a life style. If I find an unusually good piece of gear I look harder than normal because there may be more. For example, if you find a Carhartt jacket (or anything with tags) you want to look around because sometimes retail stores or factories will dump brand new old stock rather than put it in the garbage.

You sooo need to sell me that Carhartt lol, I got the vest to match and paid $10 for the vest; no tags but it looked unworn.

Also, when at thrift stores, do not buy junk just because it is cheap. A crap 70's mess kit sold at family department stores to parents who have no clue about camping or real gear, is going to be just as crappy for $2 at a thrift store. You don't need to fill your life up with junk just because it is cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 am 

DeadCanadian wrote:
You sooo need to sell me that Carhartt lol, I got the vest to match and paid $10 for the vest; no tags but it looked unworn.

The Miss would kill me. She was the one what found it and claimed it for herself. (growing up on a horse ranch, She has great taste) The best thing I found that day was an antique Chefs knife steel for $3. (My old one was getting smooth)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:17 am 

I got a sealed quart bottle of lamp oil for .25 and I got 2 boxes of used candles for free (the had been burned down less and an inch each.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

polliedes wrote:
........ I got 2 boxes of used candles for free (the had been burned down less and an inch each.)

Time for a cardboard and paraffin wax stove then mate

ODA226 has a thread on them ATM Here

Winner, PMBoB

ZS:X- Its time to top Zed and drink Earl Grey... And we're all out of lemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:27 pm 

I found a pair of REI nylon backpacking pants, and a polyester top at a local store for 10 bucks.

http://mormon.org/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:46 am 

Hit the "tactical gear junkie jackpot" today. I bought a "climbing harness" for $7. Turns out it was a tactical rappelling rig. And wrapped up in it was a Black Hawk SERPA chest rig. Still trying to find the brand of the rappel rig, but since there's ZERO markings on it, I'm thinking ti might be GI???

Both of these appear never used. Total about $130. Paid $7. THIS is why I go to thrift stores.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:11 am 

angelofwar wrote:
Hit the "tactical gear junkie jackpot" today. I bought a "climbing harness" for $7. Turns out it was a tactical rappelling rig. And wrapped up in it was a Black Hawk SERPA chest rig. Still trying to find the brand of the rappel rig, but since there's ZERO markings on it, I'm thinking ti might be GI???

Both of these appear never used. Total about $130. Paid $7. THIS is why I go to thrift stores.

Damn, sport. I thought I was bad ass with the Miss finding that Carhartt. You got me beat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:52 pm 

Just be on your edge with that climbing rig. As a climbing instructor, I can tell you harnesses can look great, but be extremely compromised. I wouldn't ever trust second hand gear climbing gear from an unknown source. You get excited for new gear, go climbing and on your first real repel, snap and you fall.

http://mormon.org/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:45 pm 

WWII issue greatcoat with 1/2 length wool lining - $7

M65 style jacket in brown leather like new - $7.00

Pair of muck boots, like new - $5.00

Tons of candles.

Tons of books.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Picked up a Food Saver Vac550 yesterday for $8.50. The roll of bags at Walmart cost more than that. Last weekend found a couple practically new 5 gal Jerry cans for $5 each. Thrift stores and pawn shops rock!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:50 pm 

Wow, some great deals.

My local Salvation Army stores are insane, the prices in there for some stuff is almost retail. I don't know who is setting the prices out back but they are nuts.
I was looking for candle sticks, I found two of them, looked to be brass, the kind that have one base and three slots for the candles. They still had the price tags from the store on them $18.00 a piece, SA had them marked at $15.00 a piece, WTF. they sat there for three months that i know of, and they will not change the price, I asked.

It just seams to me that in my AO all of the thrift stores are just way over priced on there stuff.

I have a lot better luck at yard sales, craig's list, garage sales and swap meets.

I got a Coleman gas stove and a gas lantern (both were duel fuel) for $5 each off of CL.

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.

Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

GlockASP wrote:
Wow, some great deals.

My local Salvation Army stores are insane, the prices in there for some stuff is almost retail. I don't know who is setting the prices out back but they are nuts.
I was looking for candle sticks, I found two of them, looked to be brass, the kind that have one base and three slots for the candles. They still had the price tags from the store on them $18.00 a piece, SA had them marked at $15.00 a piece, WTF. they sat there for three months that i know of, and they will not change the price, I asked.

It just seams to me that in my AO all of the thrift stores are just way over priced on there stuff.

I have a lot better luck at yard sales, craig's list, garage sales and swap meets.

I got a Coleman gas stove and a gas lantern (both were duel fuel) for $5 each off of CL.

The "chain" charity thrift stores are trying to get savvier about pricing, especially as "thrifting" is now in, rather than an abashed declaration of shameful poverty. Overall it's a good thing, and the charities tend to need the money. I do <3 my non-chain, really disorganized local thrift outlet. It takes a while to dig thru but I get some good stuff and it's kinda hit or miss.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:43 pm 

The terrible economy and amazing thrift shop placement in my rural, blue collar "town" allows from great thrifting.

My thrift store is situated between a shop that customizes Carhartt items and an auction for construction materials and outdoor supplies. Where do you think all the stuff they can't sell ends up? I always find ridiculously cheap (but primarily free) items at the thrift store. A good way to do it is to volunteer some of your time there, it allows you to meet some great people as well as see the items when they first come in and price them CORRECTLY or get them jump on them yourself before anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:27 am 

The Salvation Army was always a store for the poor and should remain so no matter who shops there. At the same time, they need to raise their prices to adjust with inflation and the costs to run their free type services.

Value Village on the other hand is more high end for the most part and is where I find more good stuff. VV should still be cheap, they are getting the goods for free after all and it is second hand.

Only the vintage stores should have high prices, but I know of own owner of a vintage store that shops for stock at VV then marks it up. But you are going into a vintage store to see a set selection already hand picked, not random donations like at SA and VV.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:51 pm 

Mrs.Davo goes thrifting every week. A little while ago, she found an REI pack, unused with tags still on it, for $5.00, and that is now her go-bag.

Also, ALL of my work shirts come from thrift shops. Sometimes my coworkers tell me that I'm wearing a shirt that once retailed for $80.00 or more, but it cost me $5.00 or less.

A tip, though: do NOT get footwear from a place that sells factory seconds or "slightly irregulars" - don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:59 pm 

Davo wrote:
A tip, though: do NOT get footwear from a place that sells factory seconds or "slightly irregulars" - don't ask me how I know.

Ok. I won't ask. As an aside, and while I know people will think I'm strange, I wear Crocs probably 95% of the time. Started back when I was living on my boat. There's something special about footwear that's dishwasher safe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:49 pm 

I thrift store all the time, just for fun. My best finds of 2011:

kendo set [boken and shenia [sp?] in a canvas case $7
Fleece sleeping bags, $3 each
fleece poncho with cowl neck and snap sides 0.99
fleece blanket $0.25
heavy black fleece vest $0.25
heavy full tang 8" blade kitchen knives $1.29
and my favorite
a norlund boys axe $2.99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:17 pm 

I don't go as often as I used to (one of my local places moved to a new building which is always packed with cars, hence the good stuff is snatched up quick) but I have picked up a crap load of stuff from them. One of my favorite things to look for is old carbon steel butcher knives. You can usually pick them up for $2-$3 in decent shape, then my dad sticks new handles on them and makes them look like pretty swanky. I just found a rather nice "Old Hickory" for $2.75

glock 17/daewoo DR200(?)/chrysler sebring/hostess cupcakes/OMAM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:00 am 

Not typical thrift shop finds, but I also look at the retail stores that may have items on display, no product in stock, and ask if they will sell what's on display. I picked up a MSR Whisperlite stove, w/o a pump and bottle for $20.00. All MSR items were marked as closeouts. I was able to pickup a pump on the web for $12.00 and a MSR gas bottle for $9.00 at REI on sale. Found the MSR stove repair kit for a few bucks on ebay.

For $35.00 I pieced together a complete stove worth about $80.00. I also look for Coleman stoves and lanterns at yard sales.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:11 pm 

Brand-new pair of USGI Woodland BDU pants for $3; Not super exciting being in the military, but I seriously miss the old woodland pattern :0(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 pm 

Buying used items is an art. I very seldom venture in to a retail store

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next