Thrift Shop finds

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Thrift Shop finds

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:00 am

Little score today: double sized wool blanket for $7.99 and a pair of fleece-lined genuine horse leather mitts for $1.99.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

For a couple dollars, I came home with an old (but unused) Garmin emap. Had to buy a new cable, and I need to buy a new memory stick (the 8Mb stick it came with is too small for ANY map available). So I'll end up putting a total of $25-30 into it, plus it's initial cost of $5. Not the BEST deal in the long run, but these the hand unit alone goes for $50, minimum, on eBay.

Also scored an old solid-fuel hand warmer. Never seen those before. Consists of a felt-covered case lined inside with fiberglass batting and stainless steel. Takes a special, solid, fuel rod which you light, let burn for about an inch of it, then place into the case and snap it closed. Supposedly burns quite hot. Comes with 2 fuel rods, spent a WHOLE DOLLAR.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:18 am

Case-It back-pack for carrying my Pelican case around
MOLLE Pouch from a quick Clot Trauma Pack
Large shock cord

All these for $4.01
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Just got a brand new (all stickers and tags still and no obvious signs of use) one of these at the local Value Village for $1.99:
http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum- ... ottle.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also scored a like-new winter infant bunting bag for $9.99, and two LS acrylic/polyester/wool blend sweaters for $4.99 each.

I also saw a Hillary brand sleeping bag for $14.99 but the tags were gone so I couldn't verify the rating and, though it was in good shape and rolled up small for the weight, it was much heavier than I'd like for cold weather camping or a BOB so I left it for someone else.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

SteveCA

Post by SteveCA » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

I don't go as often as I'd like but last winter I went looking for something warmish, a pullover or wool sweater and found a very new condition fleece pullover with HP brand on it, probably retail for 30 - 40 bucks and paid 5 for it, sweet deal. I've found professional grade hard anodized aluminum cookware which is $$$ for a few bucks. good deals to be had, if you get there at the right time.
Two wrongs don't make a right but two "L"'s make a "Y".

DriveInMutant
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead(78)", "Zombi 2", "The Dead"

Post by DriveInMutant » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:36 am

Had some luck this weekend, found an esbit stove with a full pack of fuel tabs for 3 bucks, Some tins for storage for a dime and Coleman air compressor for fifty cents.
"If I were stuck on an island, and could only take one thing with me, I'd take you, because you would get me off that island!"

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 am

Three PASGT helmets, Great shape for a total of $100.
Beretta accept no substitute.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Got a "Barbers Kit" at a local consignment shop...$20. It was housed in a $130 Pelican Case :0). Turns out, it was a USGI Barbers Kit, complete with hand operated clippers, and an NSN sticker listing on the inside of the lid. My dream of finding a pelican at a thrift store has come true :0).

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:34 am

angelofwar wrote:Got a "Barbers Kit" at a local consignment shop...$20. It was housed in a $130 Pelican Case :0). Turns out, it was a USGI Barbers Kit, complete with hand operated clippers, and an NSN sticker listing on the inside of the lid. My dream of finding a pelican at a thrift store has come true :0).
That's an awesome find. Any chance for a picture or two?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 am

74 or more wrote:
angelofwar wrote:Got a "Barbers Kit" at a local consignment shop...$20. It was housed in a $130 Pelican Case :0). Turns out, it was a USGI Barbers Kit, complete with hand operated clippers, and an NSN sticker listing on the inside of the lid. My dream of finding a pelican at a thrift store has come true :0).
That's an awesome find. Any chance for a picture or two?
Will try to get some up this afternoon, after work. I'm glad I just didn't dump the "trash" out of it...I found a $70-$120 pair of Heritage barber shears. I didn't know scissors went that high in cost. But they are VERY nice scissors, and they have a life time re-sharpening warranty. The only pics of it are in my Bartertown thread. The case was a medium sized one, the 1400.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1400

justin12234

Post by justin12234 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:00 pm

didnt go to a thrift store but i went to trade day and managed to find what looks like a usgi sleeping mat that self inflates and a usgi canteen, $.50 for both, and a hunting pack for $15. my dad managed to find some thick overalls when i found the sleeping mat and canteen and paid $.25 for them and he also found a brand new abu garcia silver max combo for $50. the sleeping mat had something on it, i think usn numbers that had been rubbed off.

justin12234

Post by justin12234 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:22 am

managed to score a thermobak 2l in desert camo for $5, very good condition and the 70 oz bladder doesn't leak at all, and at the same spot we got a hydrastorm vector 72 oz. hydration pack for $5 also.

EliFrankenear
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by EliFrankenear » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Found NIB Ozark trail 5 piece aluminium cook set for $1 last week.

Today got a Eureka Tetragon 5. Looks like it was used once judging by the fold lines. $4.95. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 am

Nothing... absolutely nuthin'.

:lol:

Did I ever tell you guys about the cross-dresser shoes I found once? It was before my wedding last year and I went to go hit-up all the thrift stores in PDX for some good dress shoes for my wedding. I took my 11 year old step-daughter with me. Daddy-Daughter day!! Anyways was striking out at the first 2 stores and got to Salvation Army. Was in the shoe section, men's 12-13s and found about 6 pairs of size 12 (men's) platform heals.

Now, I got some lady friends that are Amazons. One is 6'2" amd wears a 12 in men's. I texted her to let her know what I found and she called her other Amazon friend and they made a day of it. They bought all 6 pairs.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

livinitup

Post by livinitup » Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 am

most of the thrift stores in my area are chain stores... prices suck, selection is even worse, and anything actually decent is either sold as a "boutique" item or is snatched up by the workers or hardcore resellers before it even hits the floor.

That being said... Garage sales >>>> Thrift shops (and its not even close)

Last weekend I picked up:
large stock pot - $1
Full size (random brand) hiking pack (with frame) in good condition - $1
candles candles candles - couple bucks for a ton of them
dewalt cordless drill - $8 (needs a $3 part ordered online and about 5 minutes to repair it)
Columbia waterproof jacket - $5

About $200 in gear for less than $20
boom...take that Goodwill

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 am

I, too, have better luck at garage sales. I just don't hit enough.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

livinitup

Post by livinitup » Thu May 02, 2013 1:47 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I, too, have better luck at garage sales. I just don't hit enough.
the stuff above (along with a ton of nice clothes for me and the kids and a couple nice backpacks) came from a neighborhood-wide garage sale. I really cant justify just going one at a time unless I know theres stuff there I want.

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Got myself an East German jacket, pants, and suspenders from their rain pattern days. Both parts for 9 bucks. Now I'm gunning for the belt, canteen and pack with E-tool. I don't see myself ever using it, but it's a cool as hell collectible.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:35 pm

usgi goretex jacket 15 bucks. And it actually fit my far bigger than when I was a US GI self. Granted I think it was the size bigger than when I was in but still. It had that starting to fade look a 1-2 year of use goretex gets but was still in great shape.

DriveInMutant
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead(78)", "Zombi 2", "The Dead"

Post by DriveInMutant » Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 am

Found an brand new pair of Vibram boots for $6.
"If I were stuck on an island, and could only take one thing with me, I'd take you, because you would get me off that island!"

livinitup

Post by livinitup » Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 am

another garage sale win this weekend

like-new coleman sleeping bag - $2
game knife (skinner) and axe w/ combo sheathe - (no-name brand but decent steel) - $7
numerous small mini packs to put inside BOB to keep stuff organized and from making noise when moving - $1 total
2 like-new mini sleeping bags with backpack cases for the kids - $3 total
2 Insulated water bottle sleeves with straps - $1.50

Went fishing and found a belt case for a multi-tool in the grass - $0... (no one was there when i got there so I couldn't attempt to return it to the owner)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat May 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Various & sundry garage sales:

Box of 10 pint mason jars - $2
Bandage and iris scissors (autoclavable) - 25 cents each
set of nesting camp cookware - 3 pots, 1 tea pot, 2 pans, 4 metal plates - $2
Eta: opened the tea pot and found 4 metal cups & 4 metal bowls. So, just add silverware and it's a full serving set.
Nice old axe with leather cover - $10
Last edited by duodecima on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Sun May 19, 2013 10:43 pm

LL Bean travel shaving kit bag (in red)- $.25
OR bottle parka (with MOLLE straps where the belt loop usually is)- $1.00
Ceramic cow (full of change) - free, found in a desk that some landlord trashed when everybody moved out last week

Tapatalk kinda sucks.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Mon May 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Manliest wrote: Ceramic cow (full of change) - free, found in a desk that some landlord trashed when everybody moved out last week
Don't forget to check the dates on the 'silver'....you never know it might be Silver
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Return to “Other Gear”