Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:37 pm 

Has anyone rubbed/impregnated a jacket with one of these waxes in order to increase the water repellancy?

I'm considering getting a new jacket with a heavy synthetic outer shell, because I'm abrasion paranoid. I have no experience with GoreTex, so I'd be paranoid about damaging it. I don't trust silicone sprays after doing an ALICE pack with marginal results.

I'm not even sure if it's worth the effort - I'm looking at a Duluth Trading Superdot combo. Right now I'm running my issued Gempler's PVC suit, it's nearly identical to their "Bang for your Buck" combination, and it's not roomy enough for cold weather insulation.

What sayeth the hive?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:35 pm 

My only experience with a wax on a garment is the Australian Duster (Kakadu brand), which I've had for nearly 20 years. In that case, it's Carnuba wax, I believe, and oil on a canvas material. It works REALLY well- ignores water like it wasn't there, and does the same for wind (I wore it once in Chicago, to give you an idea- no wind felt anywhere the coat covered.)

That said, I have also had some items in Gortex, and I would have to think that waxing Gortex would eliminate it's ability to breathe. Since this is the big selling point for Gortex, I don't think you'd want to do that.
How you waterproof depends a lot on WHAT you are waterproofing. Leather will need something different than nylon, and canvas something else again. Since you mention you're concerned about abrasion AND waterproof, I'd suggest you look at something like the cotton duck (which is a canvas weight, so it's canvas) work clothes like Carhart makes. I know a lot of guys who have used them, and I have myself, in the construction fields, for every type of job from mason to roofer. Canvas isn't water PROOF, more like water resistant, but the same places that sell these clothes also usually carry a good waterproofing spray, often on display right near the outdoor clothing.
I've never seen the need to waterproof my own, but being a plumber, I was usually working in out of the rain. I would think that a silicone spray on these would work well, but you could buy the same wax/oil mix they use on oilskin dusters for it, as these are just a heavier version of the canvas the dusters are made of.
HTH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I also have a an Aussie Duster and it is impervious to rain. It is beeswax mixed with Mineral Oil I believe, and you can buy it mixed at Western wear stores. It's better for natural fabrics. For Synthetics I think you would be better off with Kiwi Camp Dry.

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:12 pm 

This guy
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37489

has the dope! If you cannot afford Filson tin cloth, make it your self.

HINT: DO NOT use the wife' iron for the beeswax part - don't ask. BTW New irons are not all the expensive.... A heat gun (like the kind used for paint removal) will work if you are *very careful* - another don't ask.

pratice on scrap before you fix that jacket.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:23 pm 

Beeswax mixes work best on natural materials, cottons & canvas type things, Works great on those to be sure, take it from a beekeeper.. :-)
Not sure how it would, or if it would work on other things. Goretek is good stuff, I have some left over from my Military days..

FYI... Federal Reserve Notes are NOT money, dollars or real currency, they ARE Fiat Notes or Currency, with no value except what the Fed says, So I now call them Federal Reserve Fiat Notes. Better to call things as they really are...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:35 pm 

Paraffin burns very well I think i would pass.........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:39 pm 

For a nylon jacket, stick with Scotch-Guard type sprays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I wouldn't start with a new Duluth jacket. Maybe hit up a thrift store and get an old denim jacket or something like that and experiment around with different things.

Beeswax works good on leather and wood too. It is the #1 thing to use to waterproof linen bow strings.

One weekend, I use animal lard to waterproof a widebrimmed felt hat at an SCA event to see if it worked. Here are the results:
1) Repels water well.
2) When it dosen't rain and the sun comes out, put the hat far away.
3) I did #2 and never saw the hat again ... I'm sure a dog got it or yellow jackets flew away with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:25 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Buy something like this http://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/Barbour-Thornproof-Dressing.html rather then trying the make your own wax mixture, at least for the first few times that way you know if it leaks then its your technique at fault not the wax (two unknowns make troubleshooting difficult)

A Waxey can be repaired or patched and then be re-waxed and be as waterproof as ever....try that with Goretex

Winner, PMBoB

ZS:X- Its time to top Zed and drink Earl Grey... And we're all out of lemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 pm 

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Buy something like this http://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/Barbour-Thornproof-Dressing.html rather then trying the make your own wax mixture, at least for the first few times that way you know if it leaks then its your technique at fault not the wax (two unknowns make troubleshooting difficult)

A Waxey can be repaired or patched and then be re-waxed and be as waterproof as ever....try that with Goretex

Wow, thanks for the link. Didn't know this stuff existed.

Any US sources you can point to?

thx