Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paracord Storage Knot
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:32 pm 

Paracord Storage Sinnet

It's kind of a slipped, single-strand ringbolt hitch. It just never occurred to me before to use the knot as a way to compactly store paracord like this. I wound 75 feet of cord today into a ring small enough to put in my bag. I'll be winding up a bunch more that I have lying around as well.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:51 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Neat find! 8)

I wonder if one could "flatten" the main coil and do the braids up the outside of the resulting cylinder of cordage? I don't have any paracord here in hand to, but I think that by doing so the overall number of braids would be halved (saving much time) and you'd wind up with a nice, space-saving cylinder of rope instead of something resembling a mini-bike tire. You could probably do more than six coils at first, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm 

I'll do some experimenting. I have no shortage of paracord.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 am 

This is a very cool way to store cordage. I found an older video a while back and started doing this. It works great. You can store 50 ft or para in a nice little ring that can be attached to a biner for quick deploy. Very cool way to have it.

Yes you can also just start the knots on a linear shape as well. Around a walking stick or even a standard flattened coil length or lengths of cordage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:12 pm 

It is a neat way to store paracord. I learned how to do it from shawn's post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40007&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

One caveat: Doing this will cause the 'cord to crimp if you leave it wound up for any length of time. This probably wouldn't matter in a survival situation, but I found it somewhat frustrating when trying to make lanyards and the like. It didn't affect the finished product, but it was a bitch to work with. For that reason, I don't store my "project" paracord like this anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 pm 

A+ thread, guys, thanks for the link.

However, be warned, it does take a long time to do, and even longer if you don't get it just right (like I did, took me a good three tries and an hour and a half to do 50'). To be fair the trouble seems to be worth it for the extra convenience.

ETA: If you wanted to put the loop on the outside of a pack, even 50' makes too thick a "donut" to get through a Grimloc, unless the loop is really large.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 pm 

The first donut I made, which has about 75 feet of paracord, took a really long time. I did another one tonight with around 60 feet of cord in about half the time.

Edited to add: I missed shawn's post in the thread that TheQuietOne linked to. Nice catch!

I also tie a figure-eight knot in mine when I get to the end to keep it from slipping back through the last bight.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Bookmarked. Awesome find!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:32 am 

TheQuietOne wrote:
It is a neat way to store paracord. I learned how to do it from shawn's post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40007&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

I tried it and I found it was complicated to get the paracord off. So, rather than doing a ring, I just did the same thing but keeping it long. Thickness and length are determined by how much cord you have and how you pack it, you just go back and forth from one end to the other. If you are doing it right, it ends up looking like a big caterpillar, which is why I call it a caterpillar coil.

I've taken to leaving a little sticking out from the "base layer", if you will, with a loop on the end- just pull the other end in the other direction and it will give you the amount you need in a hurry. I keep a couple of 25 footers in my EDC bag, and while they are a pain to recoil, they deploy cleanly, never had a snag, and never had one get caught up in anything.

Theoretically, you could do a caterpillar with a climbing grade rope, and just toss the coil with some weight on the end rather than a rope bag, but I haven't tried it yet. Heck, a caterpillar coil made of 3/8" rope would probably made a suitable tool for dealing with unruly people.

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.