Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-Packed Travel Bag
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:15 pm 

Recently I noticed that I've been going on a lot of last minute travel. So much so that I've considered a mostly pre-packed bag. I've been working with this list below, but it's hardly perfect. I think it would be more everyday type stuff, and very minimal survival/bob type things. The contents would be enough to last a few nights out of town. Any suggestions?

Gov't ID
Money
Travel Confirmations
Cell Phone + Charger
Sunglasses
Pen / Sharpie
Toiletries
Clothes Work / Casual
Swimsuit (optional)
Sleepwear
Hat
Jacket
Fleece / Hoodie

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 pm 

Looks like a good kit that won't get you stopped at the gate. Remember to throw a business card or two in the bag, just in case things get lost. When I traveled a lot, I kept the kit to almost exactly what you have, figuring that the hotel or a store close by would always have what else I would need.

Breaking down the toiletries a bit, remember motion sickness meds, even if its for the person in the airline seat next to you. Also cold meds and benadryl. You'll never want a stuffed up set of sinuses when trying to fly, I was on a flight that had to circle for an hour while the meds kicked in for a passenger, he was screaming in pain when they started to land because of pressurization. All meds need to be kept in their original packaging of course...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:13 am 

I see you listed money, and I am assuming it means paper money. I would add a large handful of quarters. They come in handy when everything is closed and you're forced to graze from vending machines. (Been there, hated it) :( They can also serve as a backup for the cell phone, a way to distract people, and when dumped in a tube sock and swung with some force, they can raise a good knot on someone's head. 8)

I would also add some kind of way to kill time, like a good paperback. Long layovers are effing booooring.

---Ford---

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:02 am 

I'll break down the toiletries and meds this evening. I was thinking last night I should have a more standardized "pill pack" Tylenol, Imodium AD, Sudafed, etc. I could see having the pill packs in my bag, at work, in the car, additional to my BOB FAK.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:52 pm 

Murph wrote:
I'll break down the toiletries and meds this evening. I was thinking last night I should have a more standardized "pill pack" Tylenol, Imodium AD, Sudafed, etc. I could see having the pill packs in my bag, at work, in the car, additional to my BOB FAK.

Here's my pill pack:
4 GasX
3 SudaFed
2 Neosporin 2 Go
4 Band aids
6 Floss Picks
4 DayQuil
4 Imodium AD
8 Cough Drops
4 Pepto
9 Tynenol

I'm thinking that'd fix 90% of anything I ran into.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:08 pm 

Murph wrote:

Or 90% of anything that runs out of you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm 

Holy crap Batman, I just dumped my tolietries bag. I didn't realize all this stuff snuck in there.

Mini Pack of Tums
Bar of Soap (Hotel sized)
Disposable razor
shaving cream
Shoe shine cloth
Ear plugs
Toothpaste
deodorant
Shampoo
Body wash
mouthwash
Body powder
Floss
Blistex
Nail Clipper
Band Aids
-Partial Pill Pack (as listed above)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:24 am 

I like to add a locking carabiner [sp?] and a long nylon strap wit a fastex buckle. You can fix all manner of luggage problem with those.

A stuff sack, never know when you will have more to carry than you thought.

A book of paper matches in a ziplock bag . . .because you still can.

snacks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm 

I traveled full time for the last 5 years. Looks like universally bad advice in this thread. You're better off making a list of things not to pack. If you want smooth travel, travel light.

Toiletries are the first to go. Pack a stick of deodorant if you're really paranoid, but everything you need is free at the hotel or less than <$10 at walmart/walgreens/cvs or the airport. I threw away a full size tube of toothpaste every week for years. Any liquids will slow you down in security. If you're running late, this is the difference between making a flight, and not.

A checked bag is a lost bag. PERIOD. Never check a bag, there's no reason. At best you now have to wait in line at check-in to give them your bag, then wait for it to arrive (that can take an hour of your time and be the difference between making a flight or not). If you can't fit all your crap into a carry-on, you're carrying too much. You can wash clothes, have them drycleaned, or just wear them again if you are staying > 1 week. Get some exofficio boxers.

Loose change (quarters). What's this metal in your bag? I'll have to rerun it through the metal detector for the next 10 minutes. Oh you missed your flight sorry. No joke, happened to me.

Books and magazines are available in the airport and on the plane.

Matches? Are you insane? Who's butthole is going to get the extra exam? The guy with the matches or the guy without? Also you have to pull your matches out, wasting time. The things you CAN do, the things you will be ALLOWED to do by the retards running the line, and the things you SHOULD do are complete opposites.

Meds are a good idea. A bottle of ibuprofen may be the difference between 6 hours in hell or a nice nap. More important than meds are earplugs (for the screaming children and engine noise next to you). They don't fail when ipods do.

Also get a bag you can run with (good quality wheels). I highly recommend neon barbie pink. Every douche in the airport has a black, then navy, then dark green, then red bag. Hot girls have brought me my pink bag from the back of the plane on several occasions because they remembered me.

The key here is only bring what you absolutely can't buy and must have. The likelihood of a zombie attack (<1%) is much much less than the likelihood of a fucked up flight (95%).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:14 pm 

Murph wrote:
Here's my pill pack:
4 GasX
3 SudaFed
2 Neosporin 2 Go
4 Band aids
6 Floss Picks
4 DayQuil
4 Imodium AD
8 Cough Drops
4 Pepto
9 Tynenol

I notice you listed GasX first... interesting.

Only things I would add are real benadryl in case someone has an allergic reaction with no epipen (those under tongue strips work great) and real aspirin for heart attack, possibly also in the new tongue strips.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 am 

nice discussion about Pre-Packed Travel Bag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:42 am 

DVM had an article about this..
Here it is:
http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2011/01/2 ... rn-prison/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am 

I always travel with an IFAK, and I include a small pair of medical sheers (they are considered tools less tehn 4"). Yes, you may have to deal with the TSA about it, just explain that you used to do something medical related, and you never travel without it.

As for Fatmoocow, I wish I could figure out how to pack for a week long conference without having to check a bag, even if I ditched the toiletries there still wouldnt be enough room for 4 sets of clothes.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 am 

sigboy40 wrote:
As for Fatmoocow, I wish I could figure out how to pack for a week long conference without having to check a bag, even if I ditched the toiletries there still wouldnt be enough room for 4 sets of clothes.

These things have helped me out big time when it comes to packing tight:
http://www.rei.com/product/739705/eagle ... ession-set

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

http://www.onebag.com/ - has some good tips and lists...

Jamie - nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:53 am 

I travel for work as well and have a standard bag packed. When I am driving it I attach a pouch with all the stuff the TSA would shriek with horror if they found. If flying I have a another pouch with toiletries attached so they only have to look through that instead of disassembling your whole bag.

ETA- Looks a lil weird but I also have a pouch on belt that all my pocket contents go into and I just unclip it and toss it in a bin with my jacket and shoes for scanning so I'm not the douche going through the metal detector 6 times like my last flight out of DTW. After I'm in my rental car I transfer all my stuff back to pockets.

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.