Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:15 am 

Hmm I have some OD and black paracord laying around somewhere I'm going to have to make me one of these.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Here are three examples of the bracelets I have made.
The wide bracelet features the ITW whistle buckle made with Approximately 30' of paracord.
The double cobra was made with 18' and the single used 9'.
I didn't like the way most people just simply cut off the excess cord and melted it to itself so what I did was take the excess and threaded it back through the buckle so it would be on the outside then threaded it back through the bracelet under the weave back to the opposite end.This way if it ever comes time to use the cord for something I won't need a knife to cut the melted ends loose ,also when you melt the ends to the rest of the cord that compromises the strength where you melted it.

When I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie, I get the sensation of the life draining out of a man's body as I crush his windpipe, silencing forever his irritatingly cheerful banter, when all I wanted was to pay for my coffee and leave. Get the sensation.

TravisM.1 wrote:
I'm not squeamish about much, but I don't fuck with poop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:22 pm 

I got a couple of buckles in the mail before I hit the road again so I think I will make my first attempt at a bracelet on Friday when I have some time home alone. Pics hopefully to follow this weekend.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel

DaJoker wrote:
In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:58 pm 

So here are my first two attempts at bracelets, a his and hers in OD green.

She wants a purple and green one to match her purse.

Also, Stormdrane can you post something on how to start that flatter design? I am not good with visualization and getting the loops right is driving me somewhat batty.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel

DaJoker wrote:
In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:28 pm 

Damn, there are some artists on this thread! It's like Knitting for survivalists. Now all we need is for someone to start selling Kevlar 55 cord.

I built my own bracelet back when I discovered the Instructable, but I wasn't happy with the length I got out of one turn of the wrist, so I made mine just over three times as long and looped it around my wrist more than once. It adds thickness where the buckle crosses over, making tight cuffs a pain, but it's good to have over 30 feet of cord available at all times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 am 

pyratemime wrote:
Also, Stormdrane can you post something on how to start that flatter design? I am not good with visualization and getting the loops right is driving me somewhat batty.

Nice job, those look great. Which bracelet("flatter design") in particular were you refering to?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:36 pm 

Stormdrane wrote:
I get the occasional request for photos on this weaving method for a paracord bracelet, so here's a few:

This one. How do you thread it through the buckles so that everything is on the correct end to start the weave?

BTW, I have really enjoyed learning to make these bracelets and have been fascinated by several of the other wrapping projects that I have seen. What book would you recommend to teach knot tying both basic and advanced?

DaJoker wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:12 pm 

pyratemime wrote:

This one. How do you thread it through the buckles so that everything is on the correct end to start the weave?

BTW, I have really enjoyed learning to make these bracelets and have been fascinated by several of the other wrapping projects that I have seen. What book would you recommend to teach knot tying both basic and advanced?

Most of the paracord bracelets with the side-release buckles start off the same way when looping on and getting the size set before knotting/weaving. The difference is how many core strands do you want and is the buckle wide enough for two or four strands wide? The 1/2" and 5/8" sized buckles work well for running the cord back and forth to increase the number of core strands which means more cord used for the bracelet compared to the two strand core. Most start with looping onto the buckle with the center of your length of cord and doubling up around that buckle end then the other at wrist size, and you have both ends to start knotting/weaving.

This blog post has examples(bottom of the post) showing the paracord on the buckles for two, four, and six strand cores. I've used the two strand core the most often because it keeps the paracord bracelets/watchbands from getting too thick/stiff and bulky. If it's uncomfortable, you're less likely to wear it often. Hope that helps. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am 

Indeed, thanks.

Any recommendations for a knot tying book?

DaJoker wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:02 am 

Stormdrane wrote:
The difference is how many core strands do you want and is the buckle wide enough for two or four strands wide?

Seems 100 times easier now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:13 am 

pyratemime wrote:
Indeed, thanks.

Any recommendations for a knot tying book?

A couple of good ones that I like, are Creative Ropecraft and The Book of Decorative Knots. Most of the knot books that I have and have looked through, don't have much in the way of start to finish projects, like for lanyards. They have knots, braids, and weaves, but you're somewhat on your own on figuring out how to combine them to make a project of of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm 

Here's a two-bight turks head paracord bracelet. About 2 ft of cord used for the loop/lanyard knot core/closure, and about 12 ft used for the 3 pass 2 bight 23 lead turks head knot over it. It could be done with a side release buckle and also used as a longer length flexible lanyard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:26 am 

Not a paracord survival bracelet, but I thought I'd put it in here rather than start a whole new thread.

I made it using a modified version of the sling on Stormdrane's blog, which I saw over at http://www.slinging.org. Here's the link for the tutorial on this Five Strand Paracord Sling.

As with all paracord projects, this was fun to make. I always find making things with paracord strangely theraputic for some reason.

As for the use of the sling, it is very difficult to get the hang of. I'm sure after doing it for a long time that one could get pretty good at getting your missile where you want it to go, but I've only had half an hour or so of playing with mine. It's hard, but it's really very fun too. Just make sure that you do this in a place where nothing can get damaged and no one could get hurt by a bad shot with your sling. It's not my fault if you make one of these and then have an accident.

TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Carefull with that thing, I broke a car windshield on accident when I made one of those bad boys in highschool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:10 pm 

ZMace wrote:
Carefull with that thing, I broke a car windshield on accident when I made one of those bad boys in highschool.

Yeah, I think I'll be ok. I'm not in London right now, I'm in my hometown. The place where I've been using it means that the only thing I can possibly hit is grass or... more grass.

You're dead right though, a stone from this thing would do a lot of damage alright.

TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 pm 

Im going to order a lot more paracord. Ive seen these before but from the pics, they look easier now. I have a few trips I have to take up to chicago to pick up some coaches. I think I will try to play around with it on the drive up before I have to drive a bus back. I think I'll buy a couple just to make sure everything turns out ok tho. lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:39 pm 

OK, question time....

What would be the minimum useful length for paracord in ones EDC or BOB?

I have been making all sorts of bracelets, key fobs, knife sheaths, and fire steel sheaths using the Solomon Bar/ Cobra Knot/ Portuguese Knot/ whatever you call it. I am wanting to make compact items but am not sure how much cordage I should set as a minimum. Currently I am sticking to 10 feet as a minimum. Do you guys and gals think that is sufficient?

I also have some that are 20 or 30 feet of total cord, I like the larger items better myself. Have not tried the belt idea yet, mostly because I think it would be a poor substitute for the thick leather belt I usually wear. Though I have been working on an ID lanyard that looks like it will take about 50 feet of paracord.

OK, enough rambling about my paracord addiction.

Thank You
Timber Wolf

“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality.” - Nikola Tesla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:21 pm 

I went a little crazy over the weekend. Still making stuff lol

free whistle clip
Bought the knife for 5 at a army surplus and it had dog tag chain on it. So I re did it with cord and wrapped the handle as well as lanyard for quick grab
My daily bookbag I take pretty much everywhere as well as put my gun in when im not carrying
The clips are .99 at harbor frieght. I want to go buy some more since Ive found about 10 uses for them and counting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 pm 

A crown sinnet(round) paracord bracelet with a side release buckle...

A separate strand of paracord was used for the buckle and wrist sizing and the sinnet was tied around that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:28 am 

After reading through this thread and doing a couple of these small projects myself I decided to make a 3 point sling for my shotgun. I finished it an hour ago and spent the last half hour getting used to carrying with it (in the privacy of my own home of course) :D I'm not confident in it's longterm durability ATM but the novelty of it for the moment is off the charts. I have another sling that was given to me that doesn't function nearly as well as the parachord one because I think it was supposed to be for as M4 rifle, and it's too short. I don't have any way of taking pictures of it right now but I'll probably start a new thread or post it here when I get the chance.

I used up all my parachord in the last 2 days doing different things with it. I made a 7 foot emergency bracelet with a homemade buckle out of wire. I'll have to put that in this thread. I also made a lanyard for my EDC knife. Everything turned out better than I thought it would. Now I just have to go get way more parachord. :lol:

Thanks for posting the tutorials and pictures. They were very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:01 pm 

1. This has been such an enjoyable and informative thread. I've never done any sort of knotting or creative endeavors such as these, but can't wait to get started.

2. Stormdrane, your blog is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:40 am 

Here's a slip-on style paracord bracelet, just an alternative to using a buckle, knot & loop, bead, and button type closure versions...

and a few more variations of the same slip-on type...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 am 

Here's a paracord bracelet verison of a Slatt's Rescue Belt. TyingItAllTogether put up a good youtube video of the process and posted more info on the IGKT forums.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:16 am 

First sorry for the necro... I had some time to kill so I thought I would try one of these. (King Cobra)
I found this video on youtube that seems easier than others. (your tying two knots at once)
It goes VERY fast!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next