Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:32 am 

As said before: This was just an experiment if the hole thing is working during a boring (only a few responses during twelve hours) shift on duty at the EMS. We only wanted to see if that can heater would work or not. All we had was the normal fuel which was extracted from one of our cars :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:48 am 

scavenger wrote:
As said before: This was just an experiment if the hole thing is working during a boring (only a few responses during twelve hours) shift on duty at the EMS. We only wanted to see if that can heater would work or not. All we had was the normal fuel which was extracted from one of our cars :D

I really wouldn't use auto gas... really wouldn't.

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:10 pm 

Brash wrote:
<image>
I got bored in work. :lol:

Where's the action pic? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:47 am 

FUCK YES! :D I got my Crusader Cup yesterday and I've just eaten my second pack of noodles cooked in it with a "V" energy drink can stove. Thanks Biff, this rawks.

I found the I could do the whole lot with a pen, a pair of scissors and a drawing pin. Put the pen on something to mark the correct height, put the can in contact and turn the can, marking a circle around the can. Cut with scissors. Repeat. Discard tops of cans.

Bend in the top of one of the can bottoms several times, so it fits easily into the other can bottom, then push the two halves together. You're compressing the air trapped inside, so it's a bit of effort but you know your seal is tight. Use the drawing pin to make the holes, job done! To make it easier, bluetack your drawing pin onto a large coin, less pressure on your finger when you push it into the can.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 pm 

. . .

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:29 am 

On mine, I followed the instructions for the zen stoves. I put a piece of cotton gauze in the can before sealing it.. "Zen" recommends using fiberglass insulation,, I didn't see either in your stove, why not ? if you would

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 am 

. . .

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 pm 

fair enough !!

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 am 

Squirrley wrote:
Ellie, have you used both kinds? I was always a little confused as to how the kind with a big ol hole in the middle was supposed to work without just having a lot of fire in the middle. Biff's style makes more sense to my brain.

The open style is actually a bit harder to make, as it is a double wall design.
But it is a LOT easier to fill and start.
In anything except very cold weather, you just pour the fuel in and light it... No need for the preheat, as it does that for you. In less than a minute, the center outer burners start up and the center flame goes out, and you have a very nice burn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:17 am 

Biff,

This is so cool I almost can't stand it!!!!! I'd almost purchased one of the Swedish mess kits (never even heard of the Crusader Cooker before) when I ran across your post. I'd been flirting with the idea of making a Pepsi can stove for the fun of it and now I can create a light and compact kit with the ability to burn a variety of fuels. Thank you!

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:47 am 

Biff-

Thanks, I just made one (soda can version) yesterday. For some reason yours were the first instrutions that made sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:43 pm 

. . .

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:23 am 

Biff wrote:
prepper7 wrote:
. . . and now I can create a light and compact kit with the ability to burn a variety of fuels.

Well, I don't know that a Crusader Cooker or a Swedish mess kit will ever be part of a "light" kit. But if you have a ti cup and a can stove you can fab up a simple wire pot stand, grab some HD aluminum foil to use as a wind screen, and fit everything in the ti cup. That would be very light indeed.

Point taken, thx. :oops:

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:30 pm 

If You put the jet holes on the side of the stove, You don't need
a pot stand. Just place the pot on the stove.

Cheers!

thefirebuilds wrote:
your memory creeps me out kinda.

I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:02 pm 

Allen wrote:
If You put the jet holes on the side of the stove, You don't need
a pot stand. Just place the pot on the stove.

Cheers!

You also dont need the double wall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:08 am 

. . .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:21 am 

Great post! This really makes the Crusader cook system a key piece of kit. Question about the design; Any benefit to filling the stove with a non-flammable absorbent material like fiberglass insulation fiber? I've read it doesn't impact performance but does make the stove safer so no fuel will dump out if the unit tips over.

HC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 am 

I was always under the impression that the fiberglass was a wicking material. That is clearly the purpose on trangia models. If you tip a trangia over the fuel will spill out. THe first popcan stove i made back in the early 90's called for it to be filled with perlite, which is like tiny beads of very lightweight volcanic glass popcorn. You get it at the garden section of whatever big box you're near. I don't know if it's really necessary though. I never did a side by side.

I suppose the typical two bottoms type popcan stove would spill less if filled with fiberglass or perlite...

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 pm 

Thanks Biff,
Great post!

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”
Sun Tzu The Art of War

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one”.
Jesus Luke 22:36

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 am 

I just made my first attempt with this. I used denatured alcohol as my fuel and when I lit it off, it blew the top can off, leaving me with a two small, invisible fires. I'm thinking my top can needs more jets. Any other tips?

I doubled the number of jets.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Wow, talk about a zombie thread! This one's been resurrected three times! A recent article in Backwoodsman Magazine was about making one out of a Foster's Beer oilcan. Lots of heat, and it fits in a Sterno stove I had laying around. For comparison, I made a double-wall stove, and a standard pop-can stove fit inside it (No, I didn't light the one inside the other, that just seemed dangerous and my wife was on her way home.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:16 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.
Way to necro an AWESOME THREAD. I used two silver bullet cans to make one of these little stoves and it took no time at all, just followed Biff's instructions from page 1. Here are some pics:

I got a can of denatured alcohol at Menard's. Outside it was as cold as the Rockies, about 19 D Farenheit. I left the fuel can on the porch for a few hours along with the stove. Then filled up the little stove, put a nickle over the center fill hole and filled the center above the nickle with fuel. I used a BBQ lighter to torch it off. It started very gently, not in the least explosive. It burned the center fuel nicely but it didn't get hot enough to heat the fuel in the can to set off the burners, I think due to the cold. I refilled the center again and it still did not get hot enough to start the stove fuel. The third fill above the nickle was the charm and the stove burned merrily. It was a bit windy out, so the flames got fanned up on occasion.

It burned for 19 and a half minutes. The girls got some marshmallows out and we toasted several. There was no alcohol/methanol flavor to them at all. I'm really impressed by the little stove that is so easy to make, even I could do it. It is now in my get home bag, along with a small bottle of fuel. I''m going to work on a pot stand and wind screen next.

Thanks Biff!

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us.'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.
Another bump for a great thread on how to make a simple "penny" or "beverage can" stove that uses ethanol as fuel. I find the yellow gas line antifreeze ethanol works great. But don't use the red ones, it makes flames that are way too high.

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us.'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:01 pm 

Well looks like this thread has risen again.... so I'll add my little stove to the mix. It isn't a pop or beer can stove instead I make mine out of a cat food can. works great!!! and primes in seconds its a lot faster then any of the pop can stoves I've made. I use denatured alcohol as many do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next