The maker of the Crovel is kickstarting a survival watch

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Would you want one of these watches?

It is everything I have been waiting for, I can't wait to buy one
No votes
Maybe if it was really cheap and I was really drunk
31%
I might try it out if it was given to me by a friend of family member
15%
I would never in a million years wear one, even if given to me as a gift
50%
Planning to buy one just to review it and make public everything wrong with it
4%

Total votes: 54

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

The maker of the Crovel is kickstarting a survival watch

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:14 am

I just spotted this from "shoot his own thumb on Doomsday Preppers" Tim Ralston.

14-in-1 Adventure & Survival Recon Watch

From the Kickstater page, note he uses Bear Grylls as an example of what this watch will let you do. LOL
The most multifaceted utility watch you'll ever own. Life in the great outdoors is no fashion show, but there is a tough and rugged accessory I am getting ready to launch that not only lets outdoorsmen make like Grylls, but could also save your life. I created the Recon 6 Watch to tackle the unexpected and perform multiple tasks. Inspired by the desire to always be prepared, a cross between the Swiss Army Knife and MacGyver will take this multi-featured watch to a whole new level. After months of hard work, my idea is almost ready to become a reality.
The Kickstarter page if for some reason you actually want to learn more, or worse want to help fund him. Though it does have some good comedy in there too.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... e-and-surv

And the funny video he made for the Kickstarter page.

I know I shouldn't poke fun and laugh at the guy. But he really made preppers look like a bunch of idiots on Doomsday Preppers when he shot himself with his own gun, plus he seems to think we are all idiots and tries to market a bunch of over priced junk to the prepper community. So a little teasing should be expected. :twisted:
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Re: The maker of the Crovel is kickstarting a survival watch

Post by dtwn92 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:48 am

You gotta give the half a thumb guy credit for trying to do new things. As with any inventor, some of these things work others...well, not so much.
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:35 am

I wouldn't buy it, but I have to give the guy credit. It is a nifty idea, and he did a decent marketing video. To any non-prepper, it would be the perfect watch. By non-prepper, I mean anyone that isn't willing to put forth even the lowest effort of researching something, and simply buys "as seen on TV". Laugh and joke all you want, but this guy can retire off of this novelty gift. While I can't agree with his end goal of preying on idiots, I can't blame him for it either. Uninformed people will buy the watch. Lots of uninformed people. Which is also his target audience. The exact same people that spend thousands on a "survival kit" that holds one MRE, a rifle, and some ammunition.

If you know this is isn't for anyone with half a brain, then it's a joke. If you realize this is something your Mom will buy as a stocking stuffer for your kids, then you understand that this is an awesome novelty idea.

Props to Tim for the idea. We can't stop fools from being parted with their money. Grandma's are obviously excluded from the fools comment.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 am

Can't help but be reminded of Data from Goonies or Billy's dad on Gremlins.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 am

I give this watch half a thumb down. Here's the problems I see...

1) Ugly as sin, watch people like myself would rather wear a fossil and die then this crap and live.
2) I don't think the hinge/locking system would be secure, it looks pretty cheap & weak.
3) The watch doesn't light up, it glows (not the same). Glowing hands after about 15 mins in darkness are useless.
4) A lens and a fire rod? But no striker?
5) Why would you need a compass? The watch face is a compass!
6) Shoot your thumb off...
7) Seems to bulky to be comfortable.
8) Any survival situation where I can use a fishing kit isn't really a life or death situation.
Last edited by manowar1313 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:24 am

I was going to vote "never in a million years" but then I noticed there was an option that involved getting drunk.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am

That would actually be a great gift for a youngster to get them something for show and tell...but not for $500...
Last edited by Caenus on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 am

majorhavoc wrote:I was going to vote "never in a million years" but then I noticed there was an option that involved getting drunk.
:clap: Yep I realized some folks might "accidentally" buy one if drunk enough.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 am

manowar1313 wrote: 4) A lens and a fire rod? But no striker?
Not to defend the product but there is a knife/can opener/bottle opener/striker in the watch band. You can see it on the kickstarter page. It is part of the watch band clasp. Of course he did not use it for the video to start his fire. And the video did not mention that he soaked the tinder with some sort of flammable liquid. Even he seemed a bit surprised at the burst of flame he got from it. LOL

*edit to add, I found a picture showing the "knife" middle left.

Last edited by ineffableone on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 pm

dtwn92 wrote:You gotta give the half a thumb guy credit for trying to do new things. As with any inventor, some of these things work others...well, not so much.
Except he really isn't doing much real innovation. The Crovel for example is just an attempt to refine the already existing folding shovel concept. The Nax is just a tacticool knife/ax combo and similar have been done long before his. The X Caliber, the ability to alter a shotgun with drop in adapters has been done for ages too. And this survival watch, people have been putting out survival paracord braclets for years with different things imbedded in them, or the survival knives like the old Rambo one, or Altoids tin survival kits, this survival watch is the most unique of his "inventions" but that really isn't saying much since he probably got the idea from one of those spy watches for kids. His "inventions" are taking other ideas and putting his own spin on them to market as prepper survival items.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 pm

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
- H. L. Mencken

Sometimes quoted as
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
- Henry Mencken

IF you missed the memo.. H. L. Mencken
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:20 pm

just think of how many of each of the things in the watch you can get for $500. OK so it wouldn't be on your wrist, but they would be big enough to actually use.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 pm

TacAir wrote:"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
- H. L. Mencken

Sometimes quoted as
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
- Henry Mencken

IF you missed the memo.. H. L. Mencken
Especially these days with crowd source funding for your project. You don't even have to talk a bank into a loan, or fork over your own cash, just get an indygogo or kickstarter page and get the idiot consumers to fund your dumb ideas.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 pm

ineffableone wrote:
manowar1313 wrote: 4) A lens and a fire rod? But no striker?
Not to defend the product but there is a knife/can opener/bottle opener/striker in the watch band. You can see it on the kickstarter page. It is part of the watch band clasp. Of course he did not use it for the video to start his fire. And the video did not mention that he soaked the tinder with some sort of flammable liquid. Even he seemed a bit surprised at the burst of flame he got from it. LOL

*edit to add, I found a picture showing the "knife" middle left.

Missed that, still though I think it's a waste of $500 bucks. You can get some para and make a half decent survival watch for under $20.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:33 am

majorhavoc wrote:I was going to vote "never in a million years" but then I noticed there was an option that involved getting drunk.
That's how I rolled as well. With enough booze anything is possible.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:43 am

On a side note there is something wrong with that firesteel fire. Look starting at 1:19 in the video. I can see what appears to be discolored grass and the flare up is unnatural given at first no grass was burned. How is that even possible? Thinking there was some sort of fire accelerate used for dramatic effect or maybe they failed to ignite the grass using the firesteel and needed extra help? Once the fire accelerate heated the grass it then ignited hence the magical flare-up without visible initial burning of the tinder.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:48 am

For $500? Not even if I was drunk. Not enough whisky in the damn world for that.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Achso_42

Post by Achso_42 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 am

Led by inovation, not by experience...

If it was for $49, I would buy it to test and propably laugh about it, but $495?

And is it just my crappy laptop speakers or is this whistle really so quiet?

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Wot no paracord?

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 pm

OK so for 90 bucks
http://www.survco.com/watch.html

Has a little p38. That is kind of cool.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:06 pm

drop bear wrote:OK so for 90 bucks
http://www.survco.com/watch.html

Has a little p38. That is kind of cool.
LOL, see he was not even the first to do the survival watch. The link above is already on the market and looks way more functional. Still not my cup of tea but hey props to them for making it.

*edit to add, and for $400 less than Recon 6's survival watch.
Last edited by ineffableone on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Woods Walker wrote:On a side note there is something wrong with that firesteel fire. Look starting at 1:19 in the video. I can see what appears to be discolored grass and the flare up is unnatural given at first no grass was burned. How is that even possible? Thinking there was some sort of fire accelerate used for dramatic effect or maybe they failed to ignite the grass using the firesteel and needed extra help? Once the fire accelerate heated the grass it then ignited hence the magical flare-up without visible initial burning of the tinder.
Yes I mentioned the fakeness of the fire starting, and found it quite funny. If you watch again he even seemed a bit surprised when it just burst into flames. :clap: Great comedy. Oh wait this guy is actually serious, oops I just though he was doing a segment for the Onion News.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:47 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:On a side note there is something wrong with that firesteel fire. Look starting at 1:19 in the video. I can see what appears to be discolored grass and the flare up is unnatural given at first no grass was burned. How is that even possible? Thinking there was some sort of fire accelerate used for dramatic effect or maybe they failed to ignite the grass using the firesteel and needed extra help? Once the fire accelerate heated the grass it then ignited hence the magical flare-up without visible initial burning of the tinder.
Yes I mentioned the fakeness of the fire starting, and found it quite funny. If you watch again he even seemed a bit surprised when it just burst into flames. :clap: Great comedy. Oh wait this guy is actually serious, oops I just though he was doing a segment for the Onion News.
Check the video around 2:40. Notice how they never actually got flames with the small magnifying lens which isn't surprising given the method shown. Better to ignite a coal in tinder first like dry fungus or punkwood then blow that coal into flames when using such a small magnifying lens IMHO. Given the fake firesteel fire shown earlier and this I believe whoever was demonstrating lacks sufficient firecraft skills to get the job done with the available tools. Kinda funny if yea think about it. :lol: Also the whistle sounds like a dying chick or duckling's last weak gasp.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Also the whistle sounds like a dying chick or duckling's last weak gasp.
Did you notice absolutely no sound until the whistle was blown? There was zero background noise which is hard for me to believe. I honestly think they dubbed that sound over the original video.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Other Gear”