It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

sworbeyegib wrote:
williaty wrote:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
Stay away from Scripto or any disposable lighter with an adjustable gas valve. The gearing on those thing suck and you can end up turning the valve wide open to the point where you get 8-12" flames.

I had a friend lose some eyelashes because of this.

My right nostril was nearly cauterized and I lost half my mustache.

Now officially an Arkansasshole.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 am 

I assume you guys that had facial burns were trying to light something sticking out of your mouth?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:16 am 

williaty wrote:
I assume you guys that had facial burns were trying to light something sticking out of your mouth?

Yeah, you can burn your face off lighting a cig with a shitty lighter.
I still vote for a Djeep.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 am 

Cigarette in, of all places, my doctor's waiting room. Ended up with kind of a reverse Mohawk. Not a cool look for a 17 year old guy in 1974.

Sent using secret methods known only to squirrels... and selected hamsters.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:33 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

williaty wrote:

Time fuse in my hand, cigarette, the end of 550 cord, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 am 

Well, I'm going to try to find a Djeep. Internet says CVS had them back in 2008, so I'll check that. Otherwise, I'll have to try to figure out where the hell a smoke shop is. I've never tried to find such a thing :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

williaty wrote:
Well, I'm going to try to find a Djeep. Internet says CVS had them back in 2008, so I'll check that. Otherwise, I'll have to try to figure out where the hell a smoke shop is. I've never tried to find such a thing :lol:

You tune Subies, right? I GUARANTEE your clientele knows where to find a head shop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:56 am 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
williaty wrote:

You tune Subies, right? I GUARANTEE your clientele knows where to find a head shop.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:58 am 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
williaty wrote:

HAHAHAHA... yeah, that's true. Hadn't thought about that. I had to get real public about a "no illegal drugs at the shop" policy for people stopping by before they'd quit. I have enough headaches with staying out of legal trouble just from a accounting/OSHA/EPA perspective, I don't need to add DEA to that alphabet soup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:18 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You can buy display flats of Djeep lighters on amazon and have a bunch to last you a while. I'm sure they're around elsewhere too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 am 

Another vote for Djeep. They last a lot longer than Bics, too.

Sent via mimeograph.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not a bic but this should help with the size issue

http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Disposable- ... ic+lighter

My EDC/GHB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:08 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Caenus wrote:
I hate to say it, because you already discounted it, but I've tried dozens of types and brands of lighters and my go to is always a Bic. Supposed are okay, but you have to fill them and they can leak if over filled. Then you have to replace flint from time to time.

I'd say learn how to hold a Bic.

Truth.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:16 am 

I walked into CVS tonight and said "The internet claims you guys used to sell a lighter called Djeep back in 2008. Still carry them?". The sales drone behind the counter assured me that they sold nothing but Bic's and never had. I decided to look anyway. Sure enough, on the endcap right in front of her were about 4 different brands of lighters including two Djeeps. I bought them, obviously.

They're better than Bics. They're enough bigger to be easier to hold and the controls are far enough away from the business end that I can keep out of my own way. The only thing I don't really like about them is that they're about half as tall as they need to be. I kind of have to perch it on top of my ring finger to hold it at the right level. I was also surprised that there's nothing to prevent you pushing the butane release valve by accident. I guess that means it'll have to go inside something in a pack rather than just tossed in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 am 

williaty wrote:
I walked into CVS tonight and said "The internet claims you guys used to sell a lighter called Djeep back in 2008. Still carry them?". The sales drone behind the counter assured me that they sold nothing but Bic's and never had. I decided to look anyway. Sure enough, on the endcap right in front of her were about 4 different brands of lighters including two Djeeps. I bought them, obviously.

They're better than Bics. They're enough bigger to be easier to hold and the controls are far enough away from the business end that I can keep out of my own way. The only thing I don't really like about them is that they're about half as tall as they need to be. I kind of have to perch it on top of my ring finger to hold it at the right level. I was also surprised that there's nothing to prevent you pushing the butane release valve by accident. I guess that means it'll have to go inside something in a pack rather than just tossed in.

The ring finger perch is something I had to adjust to and forgot all about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:09 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

RugbyFire wrote:
Anyone can light a Bic... even when Man created Fire. They rubbed those Bic lighters together and BAM!

Or they used an empty Bic. :lol:

All firecraft fun aside I think the OP should get a Bic.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 am 

Woods Walker wrote:
RugbyFire wrote:
Anyone can light a Bic... even when Man created Fire. They rubbed those Bic lighters together and BAM!

Or they used an empty Bic. :lol:

All firecraft fun aside I think the OP should get a Bic.

See... It works!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
Truth... I once lost a good deal of hair to one of those. :shock:

Then again, sometimes you just need an 8-12" flame. :mrgreen:

We used to intentionally do that to 'em in grade school. Ah, the good ol' days. Another one was to fill an oil dispenser with gasoline and light the tip. I mini flame thrower. Nothin' but fun.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

MacWa77ace wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Truth... I once lost a good deal of hair to one of those. :shock:

Then again, sometimes you just need an 8-12" flame. :mrgreen:

We used to intentionally do that to 'em in grade school. Ah, the good ol' days. Another one was to fill an oil dispenser with gasoline and light the tip. I mini flame thrower. Nothin' but fun.

When I want that, I start up my Svea 123, let it run... then remove the flame spreader. Hoo boy. About 20 inches of flammen to werf with.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm 

I have always been a fan of the old zippo type lighters. You can get them in lots on ebay for not a lot of money. They are fun to rehab and get working again. The main problem I have with them is that the fuel evaporates off after a few weeks, so you will need to have a small can of lighter fluid in your supplies if you plan on going that route. New Zippos and the gas Ronson lighters (now owned by Zippo) can be had at your local Walmart fairly cheap. I like the butane Ronsons too, but the fuel is a pressurized gas, so if your seals go, they don't work. I toss a couple of mini-Bic style lighters in with any survival bag. They are cheap, and even is you somehow manage to break their fuel storage area, you can still use it to make sparks for lighting tinder.

-Mb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My EDC for the last few months has been a Windmill JP with a P7 suspension clip to keep it clipped to my back pocket.

Combined with a backup mini-bic, it's served me very well for ocassional use in high winds. Lights first time every time- but not suitable for high altitude.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:24 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

spyderco monkey wrote:
My EDC for the last few months has been a Windmill JP with a P7 suspension clip to keep it clipped to my back pocket.

Combined with a backup mini-bic, it's served me very well for ocassional use in high winds. Lights first time every time- but not suitable for high altitude.

That is classy as fuck. I want one, even if they are 50 bucks. You said occasional use in high winds - do you mean that you've not frequently used it in high winds, or that you use it only when there are high winds (and you Bic is not satisfactory, I assume)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dogan wrote:
That is classy as fuck. I want one, even if they are 50 bucks. You said occasional use in high winds - do you mean that you've not frequently used it in high winds, or that you use it only when there are high winds (and you Bic is not satisfactory, I assume)?

Well, I've held it out the window at 70mph and it has remained ignited, and I have used it many times in other high wind, urban and beach areas. Going on 300+ ignitions now, and every single one was a first strike ignition, which is something that I cannot say about my Zippo, IMCO, Blazer, Prince, Colibri, Bic, DJeep, Peanut, and other assorted lighters.

Now, its a superb lighter, but high end jets simply do not last as long as a Bic or Zippo in terms of "round count" ie # of total ignitions before failure. So, if you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, thats 600 ignitions a month... I would be surprised if it would last a year in that sort of situation.

However, for my needs (a few cigarettes a week, candles, occasional firestarting) it's made for a superb EDC tool, that has proven itself extremely reliable and with unmatched wind resistance. Going at this few lights a week pace, I expect that my JP will last me many years to come.

Make sure to buy a P7 suspension clip for it. The JP is shaped like a bar of soap, and you will almost certainly lose it without one. The pocket clip also just makes it 200% cooler in my book :mrgreen:

I think my blog has been hacked, so this review has some weird spam about discount loans that I have to get rid of, but here's the 2000 word scoop on Windmill lighters:

http://www.good-kit.com/windmill-windpr ... er-review/

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Who has two thumbs and a bright orange Djeep as a result of this thread? This guy. Built so much better then Bics. Now to remove the safety.

And Spyderco Monkey, I'm reading... well, all of your blog. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next