Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 am 

Does anyone recommend any of those pull apart kitchen or hunting scissors/shears? Like these CRKT ones:

http://www.crkt.com/Crossover-Shear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:40 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Red Tamarillo wrote:
Does anyone recommend any of those pull apart kitchen or hunting scissors/shears? Like these CRKT ones:

http://www.crkt.com/Crossover-Shear

Cutco scissors kick ass in the kitchen, workshop, etc. They pull apart like that, but are not intended to be used separated. I have to admit, though, every time I pull mine apart to clean 'em, I think about how cool it would be if they doubled as knives. No idea how well it works in practice, sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not used them, don't even know about them.

However, the one thing that springs to mind is in order to work as scissors the knife part must be a single bevel blade. Not too much of a problem as long as you remember that you need to sharpen them differently.

Its a good idea, weather or not its a good tool remains to be seen.
Great if you want to have a decent sized fixed blade knife in a non-knife friendly place, after all......Its just a pair of scissors ;)

If you get one Red, be sure and post a review

Winner, PMBoB

ZS:X- Its time to top Zed and drink Earl Grey... And we're all out of lemon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:22 am 

I think I'll probably get a pair, can use them in the kitchen if nothing else.

Forge- the problem with non knife friendly areas, is they're non scissor friendly too. Here they were confiscating scissors in a blitz at a train station recently:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 6295906020

At least this time the machete and axe were legit seizures, their last blitz they took a machete off a guy who'd just come back from camping (had his large backpack and everything else as well).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:55 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Place as in workplace, not area as in public area

Looked at link.........Thats mental, at least here we have 'Just Reason'

919 people stopped for two weapons and four tools........Of which three of the tools were scissors :shock:

PR stunt, "We may of hassled nearly a thousand people....But we seized 6 weapons"....If I say any more I will be getting into politics

Winner, PMBoB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:30 am 

The line I found weird was this "Six men were issued with a penalty notice for carrying a prohibited weapon.", so you can carry a machete and hatchet stuffed down your pants (for gang fights?) and get a penalty notice.

It's all PR, here's the link to the first news report where it mentions the machete confiscated (from a camper), and swiss army knives:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/polic ... -v5iz.html

I just did a brief google to remind myself of your UK laws, seems like a folding (but not locking) knife with 3" blade is legal (as long as you have a reasonable excuse). But butter knives classified as offensive weapons/blades (from a Charlie Booker 2005 case).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I keep a pair of pull apart scissors in my arm rest in the jeep. I haven't used them for much, but I trust them to cut a seatbelt if I needed to. I'll post pictures of mine tonight.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:10 pm 

Red Tamarillo wrote:
I just did a brief google to remind myself of your UK laws, seems like a folding (but not locking) knife with 3" blade is legal (as long as you have a reasonable excuse). But butter knives classified as offensive weapons/blades (from a Charlie Booker 2005 case).

IANAL, so for entertainment purposes only, but that's a bit mixed up. In the UK there's the law on carrying knives (primarily CJA S139) and the law on Offensive Weapons. First, I'll mention that "self defence" is generally not a good reason or reasonable excuse so far as these laws are concerned.

Now, CJA S139 requires you to have a good reason (or lawful authority) to carry a bladed or sharply pointed article in a public place, but makes an exception for (non-locking) folding pocket-knives with a cutting edge of less than 3 inches.

Any item that is made, adapted or intended as a weapon is an Offensive Weapon, and cannot be carried without Reasonable Excuse (or lawful authority). Certain semi-banned items such as automatic knives are also considered de-facto Offensive Weapons. Now, this law can in theory apply to absolutely anything, and could apply to a S139-exempt pocket-knife, but unless the item is made or adapted to be a weapon, they'd have to show intent (for example, if you were to unwisely say it was for "self defence").

So, assuming you have no intent to carry anything as a weapon, you can generally carry an ordinary sub-3-inch non-locking folding pocket-knife in public just because you want to, and most other knives and sharps if you have a good reason to do so (for example, to use them for some lawful activity).

Also the case above (the knife/"weapon" searches) was in Australia, not the UK. I believe the Aussie laws on knives are generally even more strict than UK law.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Red Tamarillo wrote:

EDITED I posted a reply and explaination here, but Rule 9 quoted the relevant laws so I'll just point at their post and say "That"
One thing I will add is that locking knives are classed as fixed blades by Judicial Precedent.

BTW, I was recently down in London at one of the Olympic venues, no sharps of any kind allowed there (unless you're a Sikh as its one of the five K's)

Now we're totally off topic, so I'd better stop here.

Bull, Have you done any test cutting with yours and are they the type that just come apart or more like the ones the OP linked to ?

Winner, PMBoB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Mine are much like the set in the OP. I have used them for general tasks around the house, and less so from the car since moving them there. I don't rely on them for much, they're mostly there for seatbelts as I said above.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

OK,.....But if you had the money in your hand, would you buy them again ?

Winner, PMBoB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I tried finding them online, but the stores stock is inconsistent, and their website shows it. I think I paid $8 or $12, on sale from ~$20. If I could do it over, I'd buy them again, as they do what I need them to do. Thinking back now, I've used them to cut leather, paper, some plastics ... I've never had problems, but I've never tried anything ridiculous either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:52 pm 

Red Tamarillo wrote:
Forge- the problem with non knife friendly areas, is they're non scissor friendly too.

Not necessarily. I don't want to go into too much detail as it will only infuriate me, but I had a crooked cop confiscate a 2" pocket knife (after the police responded to a complete clerical error on their end, beat the crap out of me because I was talking on the phone in the middle of a long-distance business call, then claimed they beat the crap out of me "because they saw a weapon"... this so-called weapon was a 2" pocket knife discovered deep in my pocket when searching me long AFTER the beating) At the station the cop then laughed at me and mocked me saying, "you should just carry a pair of scissors" while grabbing a full-sized set of office scissors from behind his desk (since I couldn't open anything after they confiscated my pocket knife), and told me "See? This is all you need to carry on you".

I was dumbfounded... like... WTF!? What is this guy on, thinking that a normal person carries office shears around in their pocket, and wouldn't think of carrying a 2" pocket knife because it's a dangerous weapon? Yeah, I could just imagine how well I would fit into society with a big pair of scissors hanging out of my pocket everywhere I go! lul wut!?

Of course... this is a completely 100% crooked cop we're talking about and not a "normal thinking person", so I don't know if this example really applies to much of anything. Naturally this incident popped into my head on the notion of being scissor friendly but not knife friendly. In general I agree with you... normal people in normal areas which are not knife friendly will also not be scissor friendly... normally. But there are exceptions, and you can't expect anybody with a lawful power of "enforcement" to be anything but absurd. ;)

If you're talking about courthouses, airports, bus stations, train stations, etc. where "weapons are prohibited", then yeah... scissors will usually get you into trouble as much as knives. I've even had to throw away a military can opener because I forgot it on my keychain.

Last edited by Neddog on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have a set of Wustof scissors in the kitchen. They cut through about anything I've tried. My buddy had a pair for field dressing game animals. Most good kitchen shears will come apart for cleaning and are generally robust enough to cut through small bones.

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am 

It is theorised that Leonardo da Vinci created scissors after connecting two knives. Remember that if you find a decent pair you will have one if not two knives. The CRKT ones you linked to are in senescence a steak knife and its peripheral attachment.

Just mi' tuppence worth.

Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?