It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Show your katana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 am 

I am sure I am not the only one with one, In fact I know it.
Show them off here for a bit of edge fun.

Here is my preferred sageo. (now lost)

And my current blade. A Musashi Home build. With leather wraps down it...

Last edited by 8thsinner on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Show your katana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Hmmm, is purple leather the new Blue Cord?

When I searched for Musashi Home build, I got this: Trusted Performance Nutrition, so I'm assuming you mean it's built using parts from http://www.musashiswords.com/shop/home.php. Did it come as a parts kit, is it cannibalised from other swords?

Now, Lets all have a Shoe Off.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 am 

I meant that it was a parts kit. Much like this one
http://www.xandlnet.com/musashi-hand-forged-grape-vine-katana-japanese-sword-box-set/
Only it's a good few years old, so not sure which version it was officially. Cost about $400

It has a nice balance, okay edge which has been re polished by me and holds up well.
I am not sure what this reference to BLUE cord means, I saw it on another thread there today or yesterday.
What does that mean exactly?

My choice of purple kangaroo leather wrap was because I had 30 yards left over from making a whip for someone. It has since been removed and made into bracelets though. And is being replaced with bright red kangaroo wrap instead. I just think it looks nice. And it helps protect the original finish. Also doubles as cordage should the need arise.

In time I do intend to also replace a few of the parts just never got around to it. I want a slightly lighter tsuba (crane/Musashi), and silk wrapped. Plus my old sageo back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 pm 

Here is a full review of my Kissaki morha zukuri on the SBG (Sword Buyers Guide) forum
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=124

Here is a little historical info for those who might be curious but not enough to follow the link to the review.

Historical overview

Kissaki-moroha-zukuri seems to be a difficult style to find good information about. Much is speculation, educated and otherwise. It has been called the Grandfather of the katana, being an evolutionary step between Ken and tachi. It seems though this may not be right. More likely Kissaki-moroha-zukuri was a branch off from the evolution. One that was found too difficult to mass produce. What made it difficult is the distinctive second edge. To temper properly took more skill from the smith, and a lot more time and attention in the crafting.

The Kogarasu Maru "Little Crow" is the most famous of the known Kogarasu Zukuri blades and currently in the Japanese Imperial Collection. The tang of the Kogarasu Maru is not signed but the blade is believed to have been made during the either the early Heian period (794 to 1185 AD) or late Nara period (710 to 794 AD), by the famous Japanese swordsmith Amakuni, who is said to have created the first curved Japanese sword and is believed to have lived during this period. Two other Kogarasu Zukuri blades exist from this era, but many other blades of this type have been created throughout Japanese history.

There are a few of these Kissaki-moroha-zukuri surviving and they are shrouded in mystery, speculation, confusion, misinformation, and curiosity.

The reason for the thoughts of Kissaki-moroha-zukuri being considered the grandfather to the katana may be due to the Kogarasu Maru and its accredited smith Amakuni. With Amakuni being sited as the first smith to create a curved Japanese sword and also the creator of the Kogarasu Maru puts this Kissaki-moroha-zukuri in the evolutionary path of swordsmithing to the eventual Katana. However there may be some leaps and speculation in this train of thought. We may never fully know how the Kissaki-moroha-zukuri fit in the evolution.

I am currently customizing this sword. I have made a new hexagon tsuba out of 10 oz silver coin. I have carved a new tuska and have the ray skin to wrap it, I just need the ito and to make silver Fuchi-Kashira and habaki to replace the stock ones. I have two silver bars I plan to place under the ito wrap. I am also planning to customize the saya by replacing the rattan with 550 cord.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 pm 

Ad'lan wrote:
Hmmm, is purple leather the new Blue Cord?

When I searched for Musashi Home build, I got this: Trusted Performance Nutrition, so I'm assuming you mean it's built using parts from http://www.musashiswords.com/shop/home.php. Did it come as a parts kit, is it cannibalised from other swords?

Now, Lets all have a Shoe Off.

Try searching "Musashi assemble yourself" You will find things like
http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/musashiassembleyourselfjapaneseswordsblacksakurakatana.aspx

some good sword vendors are
http://www.musashiswords.com/
http://www.trueswords.com/
http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/
http://www.swordnarmory.com/
http://www.swordsofmight.com/
http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-guide.com/

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 am 

Thanks for the links but I will not be ordering a new sword any time soon anyway. Maybe a tanto or wakazashi at some point but not until this one is customised to me liking anyway.
I like yours and didn't know much about this type before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:25 pm 

8thsinner wrote:
Thanks for the links but I will not be ordering a new sword any time soon anyway. Maybe a tanto or wakazashi at some point but not until this one is customised to me liking anyway.
I like yours and didn't know much about this type before.

I totally understand the customizing thing, I am doing the same with mine. :D

In the end the only original piece from my sword will be the blade. Though the parts are all decent enough to use for now, I am slowly upgrading till it is my sword.

I am adding the 550 cord to the saya and silver for prepping. What better place to carry a small hoard of silver than on a sword that can protect your silver.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:39 pm 

i would love me a good quality sword... only thing that stops me is that i am not trained to use 1 and probably wouldn't have the time to learn.. so i can't ever justify buying a "tool" that i won't be able to use... :( but those are nice, and u know, i dig the purple wrap! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:40 pm 

smokinbunta wrote:
i would love me a good quality sword... only thing that stops me is that i am not trained to use 1 and probably wouldn't have the time to learn.. so i can't ever justify buying a "tool" that i won't be able to use... :( but those are nice, and u know, i dig the purple wrap! 8-)

It is a wise person to know when not to get something that looks cool that they don't know how to use. I have been practicing with sword over 20 years, and still would like to learn more :lol: I have learned various styles and mix them into an original style my own.

I am a bit surprised there are not more posts of people's katana here. I have seen quite a few people mention katana as part of BOB preps, and katana is a popular anti zed weapon. Next to baseball bats and shotguns katana are highly mentioned. Though I feel a good Euro long sword might do the job better than katana, given the longer reach. Sadly I only have a Viking style Euro which doesn't have a longer reach than my Kissaki-moroha-zukuri. It is funny though you don't see much mention of Euro long swords as anti zed weapons, mostly katana. Guess more hype in the katana as a legendary sword of superb quality, though many Euro swords were just as good quality or better than many katana. Oh well, hype and reputation often wins. I do hope to see more posts of other katana here on this thread.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
smokinbunta wrote:

It is a wise person to know when not to get something that looks cool that they don't know how to use. I have been practicing with sword over 20 years, and still would like to learn more :lol: I have learned various styles and mix them into an original style my own.

I am a bit surprised there are not more posts of people's katana here. I have seen quite a few people mention katana as part of BOB preps, and katana is a popular anti zed weapon. Next to baseball bats and shotguns katana are highly mentioned. Though I feel a good Euro long sword might do the job better than katana, given the longer reach. Sadly I only have a Viking style Euro which doesn't have a longer reach than my Kissaki-moroha-zukuri. It is funny though you don't see much mention of Euro long swords as anti zed weapons, mostly katana. Guess more hype in the katana as a legendary sword of superb quality, though many Euro swords were just as good quality or better than many katana. Oh well, hype and reputation often wins. I do hope to see more posts of other katana here on this thread.

when it comes to blade weapons for a ZPAW im not a huge fan of fancy blades for the amount of not only training but the maintenance(sharpening, polishing, cleaning after use)... i think a lot of the peeps here tend to perfer the Kukuri (i have 1 as well :P ) but something simple and rough like a machete would probably be preferable. I do like doing things and looking good while doing it (form AND function) but i doubt i would be worrying about how good i look in the PAW... lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 pm 

smokinbunta wrote:
when it comes to blade weapons for a ZPAW im not a huge fan of fancy blades for the amount of not only training but the maintenance(sharpening, polishing, cleaning after use)... i think a lot of the peeps here tend to perfer the Kukuri (i have 1 as well :P ) but something simple and rough like a machete would probably be preferable. I do like doing things and looking good while doing it (form AND function) but i doubt i would be worrying about how good i look in the PAW... lol

LOL :lol: Yes Kukuri or machete are useful, and can take the place of a sword. Though a sword has a further reach which is why I would carry a sword into the PAW. Swords need not need more maintenance than you would put into a good knife really. Yes you do need knowledge and skill to maintain and use a sword, but the same goes for knives, kukuri, and machete. As mentioned though I understand if you have not the skills and knowledge for sword use, I respect your not wanting to use one. What surprises me is how few of those who say they have a sword in their BOB aren't posting in this thread. Do a search of katana and you will see people mention them quite often on the ZS forum.

Carrying a sword in the PAW for me has nothing to do with looking good or stylish. For me a sword is a very good long lasting weapon for defense and offense. Long after the bullets are gone the sword will remain. This is why I also include a take down recurve bow in my INCH bag. A bow stays useful much longer than a gun will in total collapse as you can make arrows much easier than bullets.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:41 pm 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:28 pm 

shoggoth80 wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Ouch

What happened there?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm 

I have a katana a friend of mine picked up in Japan for me. I know nothing about it, no clue who it was made by, what kind of steel was used, and since I don't know any of that information it's used as a wall hanger only. The blade looks nice, with what appears to be a natural hamon, and the tip is obviously hardened. The tang is the issue. The handle is completely wrapped with no exposed parts to tap out the dowels, so I can't inspect it thoroughly. I have 0 training when using a katana anyway, so even if it was a well made sword I'd probably just hurt myself using it. I'll post some pics soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm 

USMCSergeant wrote:
I have a katana a friend of mine picked up in Japan for me. I know nothing about it, no clue who it was made by, what kind of steel was used, and since I don't know any of that information it's used as a wall hanger only. The blade looks nice, with what appears to be a natural hamon, and the tip is obviously hardened. The tang is the issue. The handle is completely wrapped with no exposed parts to tap out the dowels, so I can't inspect it thoroughly. I have 0 training when using a katana anyway, so even if it was a well made sword I'd probably just hurt myself using it. I'll post some pics soon.

The handle (tsuka) should show the pegs (mekugi) for disassembly. While most katana that come out of Japan tend to be of at least decent quality, there are some subpar katana sold in Japan. The reason you get mostly decent swords from Japan is they have a limit on how many are allowed to be exported, so it is not too common for them to let a poorly made katana take the place of a decent one. Your mekugi might be hidden under the ito wrap. You might also have only one, many nonproduction katana have only a single mekugi around where your forward hand rests.

Here is a video explaining how to dissemble a katana

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:35 pm 

The pegs are hidden under an intricate wrap, a wrap I'd never in a million years be able to put back like it was. It isn't the normal wrapping or any like I've ever seen. I'm sure those pegs are under there, and I'd like to inspect the tang and find a makers signature, but it isn't worth it..LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 pm 

USMCSergeant wrote:
The pegs are hidden under an intricate wrap, a wrap I'd never in a million years be able to put back like it was. It isn't the normal wrapping or any like I've ever seen. I'm sure those pegs are under there, and I'd like to inspect the tang and find a makers signature, but it isn't worth it..LOL

hmm, now you got me curious to see this katana, I look forward to you posting some pictures of it.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 pm 

I think the wrapping is to hide the quality, something about it to me seems off. But again, I really shouldn't be using it for anything other than decoration. Sorry for getting off topic here. Looking forward to more katana pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:29 pm 

5 years of cutting exercises, and a target that would have probably been rated as "too hard" for the blade design, coupled with a lack of flex.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 am 

Shoggoth, what maker/brand?

Forged blades: www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 pm 

Hanwei Practical Plus. I am not lnocking it. It served for many years. The target was heavy irrigation tubing, with grass mat and duct tape on the outside. It was made for light targets, and that was a medium to heavy target. So, know your sword.models before indiscriminantly cutting. I turned the broken off portion into a brush knife.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 pm 

shoggoth80 wrote:
Hanwei Practical Plus. I am not lnocking it. It served for many years. The target was heavy irrigation tubing, with grass mat and duct tape on the outside. It was made for light targets, and that was a medium to heavy target. So, know your sword.models before indiscriminantly cutting. I turned the broken off portion into a brush knife.

Wouldn't mind seeing that too. Any pics?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 am 

8thsinner wrote:
I am sure I am not the only one with one, In fact I know it.
Show them off here for a bit of edge fun.

Here is my preferred sageo. (now lost)

And my current blade. A Musashi Home build. With leather wraps down it...

I really like the purple one, is it brandnew? It's really my dream to have a katana.