What is your favorite edged weapon?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

awg3

What is your favorite edged weapon?

Post by awg3 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:51 pm

I just want to know what kind and why. My favorite is a hand and a half sword because you can have the power of a two-handed or the handling of a one-handed sword.

Confucius

Re: What is your favorite edged weapon?

Post by Confucius » Sat May 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Blue cat-5 wrapped katana, so I can have the vicious speed of a katana with the grip and networking capabilities of cat-5.

Seriously though, this has been done to death, use the search function (and while you're at it, pop over and write an introduction).

Mangangali

Post by Mangangali » Sat May 28, 2011 9:18 pm

toss up. Balisong or Kerambit.
I am Murphy's favored son.

navajojoe

Post by navajojoe » Sun May 29, 2011 1:38 am

You know I have to go old school on this one: I love my tomahawk, it does all I need it to do. It is both practical and tactical at the same time.

Navajo Joe
"Keep your powder dry"
Navajo Joe
"Keep your powder dry"

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sun May 29, 2011 2:20 am

Emerson Persian folder. But then again why can we only have one favorite?
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Sun May 29, 2011 2:29 am

the best blade to use is the one you have on you. hence my love of my buck vantage, my edc blade. i disbelievingly shaved a patch of hair off my arm earlier with it.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

Witch Doctor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun Of The Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, Land Of The Dead, Dead Snow, 28 Days Later, cocknies versus zombies, 28 weeks later, dog soldiers,

Post by Witch Doctor » Sun May 29, 2011 4:02 am

Ooh....... Short sword or machete.......
The Seven P's:
Prior Planning and Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sun May 29, 2011 6:47 am

Last year, I had Kevin_The_Professor make me a Langsax. It is 22 inches long, .25 thick, full tang, handmade Damascus steel. The handle is period correct Walnut, as is the sheath.
This blade is razor sharp, has a most beautiful Damascus pattern, and is very stout. It chops like crazy, the edge retains it's shape and sharpness.
Currently, he is making me a companion sax, a smaller blade, some 11 inches long, with the same design and steel.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun May 29, 2011 2:55 pm

For what target ?
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

drifts14x
Favorite Zombie Movies: N/A- I read Zombie Books

Post by drifts14x » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm

As far as bladed weapons go, I have to say my friend's Scottish Claymore (5' blade) makes a sweet cleaver.

We hit a watermelon with it and didn't even feel the blade contact due to the amount of momentum we build up with the baseball swing.
"Look Alive, Sunshine"

Guns may be useful in a Zombie Apocalypse, but nothing is a match for:

Attack Chihuahuas- God help you if I loose the attack chihuahuas...

bamboo spear

Post by bamboo spear » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Any kind of shortened katana, like a kogatana, shinobigatana or wakizashi. I need to get a Cold Steel Chisagatana, just need some more $$$.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:41 pm

favorite...hmmm...most partial to a double bladed axe. While they're marveling at the axe, I'll shoot 'em.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank the Tank
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie-Land
Shawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 2
Night of the Bums

I read more than I watch........

Post by Frank the Tank » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 pm

I desperately want a battle ax..... Because the are bad ass. A war hammer would be better in a fight.
A kaiser blade would be the best tool I have in the shed and a sharp sharp shovel if I was bugging out would be what I grabbed because you can't just lug around a battle ax a war hammer 200 lbs of mre's 5 shotguns a bazooka, 7 katanas and a Dustbuster.

So..... I pick the shovel it has a million uses, you can cook on it, swing it, hammer with it, bury the dead, fortify, scoop grain and kindling. Put out fires and dig holes if you run out of other clever uses.
The muzzle of a Colt .45 says 'Go Away' in every language.

Hunt Hard, Shoot Straight, Kill Clean, Apologize to No One
BOV 5 Spd 4.0 04 ext cab ranger lifted 6 in 4.56 gears on 33 in Toyo O/C M/T's
RimFire, Trapping and Predator Enthusiast

If I knew how to use a computer better I'd have a nifty profile and a super cool siggy image.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:44 am

Soo when we say edged weapon imma go on defensive/offensive blades.

One answer is not an all answer.

My favorite small blade would be my Bowen Belt Knife. My dad bought it back when he was an Eagle Scout, now it is mine. I made a new belt for it, wear it almost every day. Since this thread needs more pr0n;

Favorite midsize weapon is one I don't own (but will), the Phalanx from Zombie Tools. Until I found this beauty, I'd always draw short swords exactly like it and plot out making one day. Now I just get ZT to do it :mrgreen: I'm not super hot on the aluminium grips, either micarta or rose/hardwood

For a full size weapon, something that is a custom blend between a long sword an a cut and thrust / side sword. Enough control so as not to be totally outclassed by a rapier or katana, but with enough heft for effective cuts and use against heavier weapons. And no, not a katana. Of European descent. A good bit like this, but with heavier quillions and a long enough pommel for hand and half use. And a nice matched dagger :D

Or a bit like this with more raper-ish guards and ricasso.

Yes it is Strider's sword. Of course I'd have to have a version of his Elvish dagger to go with it. I reckon Storm Crow would make a wicked awesome version of it, maybe a bit bellied to match the Phalanx. To be honest I think it would take a good bit of work to make the war sword just right for me. Or just give me a longsword.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

bamboo spear

Post by bamboo spear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Is that a Gerber Gator folder I see? I've been wanting one of those for years, just too lazy to drop 25 bucks for one on Ebay. Someday...

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 pm

KentsOkay wrote:... Stuff...

My favorite small blade would be my Bowen Belt Knife. My dad bought it back when he was an Eagle Scout, now it is mine. I made a new belt for it, wear it almost every day. Since this thread needs more pr0n;

... other stuff...
I like that, are you able to take a picture of it in your hand as it would be used, and how comfortable is it while wearing - does the belt have a sheathing on the back?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:39 pm

bamboo spear wrote:Is that a Gerber Gator folder I see? I've been wanting one of those for years, just too lazy to drop 25 bucks for one on Ebay. Someday...
Snapped the blade in half on mine in 2 weeks. =/ Just saying.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:43 pm

bamboo spear wrote:Any kind of shortened katana, like a kogatana, shinobigatana or wakizashi. I need to get a Cold Steel Chisagatana, just need some more $$$.
http://www.casiberia.com/ Highly recommend you check them out before making a sword purchase. :D

Their stuff just doesn't die. Swords are strong and solid, yet can flex and return to straight just fine.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Gaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chuck Norris and Jason Statham movies. I mean, you can't kill them, they don't suck blood so they aren't vampires, or change into an animal during a full moon so they aren't were-beasts, so they pretty much have to be Zombies, right?

Post by Gaston » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 am

Well, I'll stick my neck out and post the most obviously uncool answer - a katana from the "bugeisha" period, not a war sword. There's something very natural in the way one handles. I'd prefer something more durable than pretty. I don't even own one at the moment, but I've owned and used them and like them a lot. Hard to carry one around in today's world, though, even as "camping gear".

A medieval bastard sword (a.k.a. hand and a half) is a nice weapon, and I've owned and used Del Tin's mid 14thC version. It's quick enough to surprise most people, but slow and awkward compared to a light katana, however it was designed to cut through light armour or break the bones beneath it (and also to find and pierce the inevitable gaps by means of half-swording techniques), and the version of katana I prefer was made for dueling/defending against unarmoured opponents.

To me, if there's no restrictions on maneuverability, the spear is still queen. It takes such a tiny touch with any decently made and balanced spear to bury it into anything made of meat - really, the first time you try it you'll realize that a toddler who manages to poke you with the thing lined up is going to drive it out your backside. They aren't very good in tight spots and they're easy to overrun if your opponent has the brass and experience to try it, but most likely he'll be nailed before he makes the second step of his rush.

If you take into account portability and handiness, I'm torn between a narrow-bladed tomahawk (I think Ragnar sells such as his "Iroquois" model), and a decent machete. With either, the average person can afford to scatter spares and backups around their property.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:44 am

Depends... am I inside, outside, ROL/WROL/fullblown PAW

I own plenty of knives, but they're mostly tools... I have a couple of knives which would make decent weapons but either my KABAR Bowie/USMC knife or my Gerber LHR would be up there...

My favourite knife would be my BM Nim Cub II... wouldn't mind the fullsize Nimarvus but I don't have the cash to spare at the moment
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:38 pm

BullOnParade wrote: I like that, are you able to take a picture of it in your hand as it would be used, and how comfortable is it while wearing - does the belt have a sheathing on the back?
Belt is sheathed on the back. My dad had an original belt, I made a new one with some improvements, namely a rapid snap off belt keeper.

The blade itself is decent. I have never used it for utilitarian purposes, mostly because it is double edged and the push dagger grip doesnt lend to ease of use in a utilitarian role. Over all length is just under six inches, blade is three inches long. It fits very comfortably into my palm.

The grip portion is curved, really helps with the ergos.

I've worn it for at least 4 years, my only complaint with the original belt of my lanky frame is it would come undone. The snap off belt keeper solved that. If you are considering one Bowen Knife is still alive and kicking, I'd recommend getting some one to make at least the belt keeper to add on, if not a whole new belt. http://www.bowenknife.com

Vel454 wrote:
bamboo spear wrote:Is that a Gerber Gator folder I see? I've been wanting one of those for years, just too lazy to drop 25 bucks for one on Ebay. Someday...
Snapped the blade in half on mine in 2 weeks. =/ Just saying.
The Gerber is my dad's, never has seen much heavy use. Does have first production run etched on the blade though :D

Only really used it once, to cut a shredding serpentine belt. It is just too damn big for a pocket carry, out in the field I would rather have a fixed blade.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

mr. right-wing

Post by mr. right-wing » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:13 pm

I also like my Bowen:

And my Kukris

And my EDC Crusader Forge VF-01

R.I.P HK33K

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:16 pm

I've got a Gerber made dagger of the design and size of a Raider 2:
That is by far my favorite. Doesn't do well with everyday work (cutting straps or fruit or stuff like that) but I would fully trust my life to that blade.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 pm

My wit. :|

Spyderco Native II
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Return to “Other Weapons”