Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 pm 

azrael99 wrote:
that ok, not everyone like Cold Steel and\or their choice of steel. i would prefer that model in sk5 personally but we can't always have what we want. i have a AK47 made of AUS8 and for now i'm not disappointed at all. the knife is strong, the only thing is the AUS8 don't keep is edges razor sharp really long. it stay sharp long enough but will not stay arm shaving sharp as long as certain other steel. but the strength is more than enough.

I actualy like Cold Steel!
I just have doubts of a cheap stainless (AUS8 is actualy a bargain stainless) being good for such a large knife, I could be wrong I mean Buck does a good job with thier 420HC and I like that steel a lot! You're right that 1085/SK5 would be better but I'll keep my original Recon Tanto in Carbon V/1095CV.
If you do get one will it be a camp knife or a suburban survival blade?
cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

the tanto is not really a camp knife in my eyes,

you can certainly use it as a woodwork knife because of the chisel shape of is edges, even the 45 degree tip can work as a chisel. The tanto is at is best as a penetration knife. obliviously it will cut really well but the tanto is the best as a penetration knife. but the tanto is also a really strong shape. i never see a tanto fail. never see one broke, except the edge that could chip.

*edit*
don't freak out but the 2012 leatherneck will be in 4116 krupp. i actually love that steel for best bang for the buck knife (the lite series, the kudu, roach belly, canadian knife etc...) but for such knife as the leatherneck i'm not sure, the recon and srk are made of sk5.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:25 pm 

azrael99 wrote:
obliviously it will cut really well but the tanto is the best as a penetration knife.

IDK, man. In regards of tip strength, sure best of any. As far as effortlessley sinking in to someone/some body, it's not that great.
The tip being way off center (sometimes peaking way above the spine) could be an issue, but one that does not at all affect the Mini Tac Kiridashi, Janich designed folders by Blackhawk and Pypderco, pikals, stanley box cutters etc. I'd say the tanto is strong in design, less than ideal for general utility, best suited to a longer blade, and if you're into drawn out knife fighting, is the best at the snap cut (if anyone even practices this today). To penetration, it can probably be pounded with a rubber mallet thru materials no other blade could and come out unscathed, but is not a style that allows effortless insertion. that may sound like crazy talk, but get a dagger, a long tapered clip point, a triangular wharncliffe, etc. and check it out yourself on something. And FWIW, 3 and 4 sided (true definition) stillettos only do one thing, pentrate, stab into people. And they suck at it compared to a large percentage of knives, at least what is around today replicating those blades of centuries ago, hit knives. You gotta have some force to make those burrow in. And that's all they were designed to do, along with leave a complicated wound

I fell in love with my Mini Tac Kiridashi. Weird feel at first near the top of the grip, but you get used to it pretty quick. outstanding value too.
Dying to get a Natchez bowie though still do not have a kukri which is far more versatile. (Would also like to get original, 1917 and 1918 trench knives, 1918 the no-ridged version. Might even try it inside my left boot, LOL. But that stuff has to wait, I have many preparedness needs to meet)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:11 pm 

My KA-Bar full size tanto

S&W M9 bayonet (I know, made in Taiwan...)

and my new Gerber Gator machete

:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:16 pm 

I absolutely love my ESEE 4 and would highly reccomend one!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm 

I am a new convert to Busse knives and these are AMAZING knives...you cant do any better!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 pm 

anyone know or have heard of the Kizlyar knifes ?

i'm interested about those models:

Kizlyar Alligator - Russian Spetsnaz Military Machete

Kizlyar DV-2

Kizlyar Phoenix 1 - COMBAT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 pm 

Turtlewolf wrote:
azrael99 wrote:
that ok, not everyone like Cold Steel and\or their choice of steel. i would prefer that model in sk5 personally but we can't always have what we want. i have a AK47 made of AUS8 and for now i'm not disappointed at all. the knife is strong, the only thing is the AUS8 don't keep is edges razor sharp really long. it stay sharp long enough but will not stay arm shaving sharp as long as certain other steel. but the strength is more than enough.

I just have doubts of a cheap stainless (AUS8 is actualy a bargain stainless) being good for such a large knife, I could be wrong I mean Buck does a good job with thier 420HC and I like that steel a lot! You're right that 1085/SK5 would be better but I'll keep my original Recon Tanto in Carbon V/1095CV.
cheers

My current EDC is a old model CS Recon-1. Good knife. Really strong lock, I've bayoned with it just fine. It's AUS-8. Takes an edge better then anything I have. Scary sharp. Just doesn't have as good of retention.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm 

An an above poster mentioned, the SOG Seal Pup is a great buy for the money. Through the years I've had mine, it rode on my raid belt while an LEO, and did a lot of cutting and prying, and never failed. Have used it in the woods for general duty, as well as batoning it in splitting wood. Also have used it extensively while SCUBA diving. Knife has never rusted, always kept a good edge, and never let me down. That's about all I can say about it... My 2 cents...

slik

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39 pm 

proteus wrote:
I am a new convert to Busse knives and these are AMAZING knives...you cant do any better!

For a busse new be you got two mighty fine ones! Some of my favorites!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:50 pm 

The7thNazgul wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:
azrael99 wrote:

cheers

My current EDC is a old model CS Recon-1. Good knife. Really strong lock, I've bayoned with it just fine. It's AUS-8. Takes an edge better then anything I have. Scary sharp. Just doesn't have as good of retention.

I said large knife as in large fixed blade of 7+inches, I have had great results with bargain stainless such as AUS-8 on folders but a shorter blade is less prone to break due to a lack of toughness than a large blade and we generaly use them differently, right?
cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 pm 

sar5 wrote:
proteus wrote:

Thanks...I got a few more...

These are amazing blades...also getting a few more.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 am 

I have had great results with a few of the Folders from Cold Steel as of Late...I would hihly Reccomend the Rajah II and Rajah III(Serrated) to be aquired and carried as a set. I drive Truck for a living and as of late my current Run requires a few hours on the Dock each Evening. I have cut quickly and effortlessly through numerous Tie Down Straps rated at 2500pounds per square inch,hacked through pallet boards,trimmed cardboard sheeting used for Dunnage ranging from a quarter inch to almost 3/8 of an inch thick depending on the supplier along with a variety of other cutting chores taht one would expect with a folding knife. Both blades have held an edge reasonably well and resharpened with what I feel is an acceptable amout of effort. I do reccomend getting the Gatco Dogbone specifically for the Serration Pattern Cold Steel puts out.The down sides,minor in my opinion is keeping after rust on the blades especially with pocket carry when One really works up a sweat.When I say minor I do mean it. To me it is probably just a trade off with the Steel they are using.A bit less in the Corrosion Resistance dept for a bit more in the Edge/Durabilty dept.

I have stripped the Pocket Clips off of mine and prefer to carry them dropped in a pocket or in my EDC Pack along with a few other items I utilize or could need as I go about my buisness as a Driver. So far both carry well.however the Raja II does take a bit to get used to because of it's size.Speaking of size the Rajah II definetely has an intimidation factor,which I guess might be a good thing if the knife was pressed in to service as a defensive weapon.Then again it definetely gets attention when put to use for more peaceful tasks.The locking mechanisms on both knives have lived up to the claims.I as a matter of course am always careful as to where my fingers and other body parts are in relation to the Blade I am using but so far no problems.I have not gone out of my way to attempt to re create or test out the validity of the tests shown on the Cold Steel Proof Videos.I do beileve that they are great for showing just how far one of their products can be psuhed when it comes to lock tests,bending ect,but as they say not to attempt the same at home.

Dtrain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 pm 

i use cold steel knives almost exclusively. i can honestly tell you that these knives have never rusted nor failed on me in any way what so ever. you can literally abuse them to death and they will still perform when you need them. also, the locking mechanism on the folders is probably the best in the industry. next on my list is the laredo bowie. i've seen the tests done with it, so i'm sure it will be awesome.

side note...the folders with the grey coating on the blades are rumored to rust, that's why a lot of guys remove the coating.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Ok i figured this would be the best place to ask this, im looking for a good boot knife my requirements are:
1. Easy to conceal in the boot comfortably(talking army boots here)
2. Double sided blade, no sserrations
3. Locks into sheath securely to keep from falling out while running, hiking, climbing, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:17 am 

US_Army_Z28 wrote:
Ok i figured this would be the best place to ask this, im looking for a good boot knife my requirements are:
3. Locks into sheath securely to keep from falling out while running, hiking, climbing, etc.

cold steel peace keeper maybe ? it even made of VG1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thats a gorgeous blade dont get me wrong but its a littles big for my use, im thinking a 4.5in blade maximmum and well i cant afford to throw 200 bucks at a knife right now lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:20 am 

US_Army_Z28 wrote:

I'd vote for the Gerber Mark I.
The Gerber Mark I is on the left - Gerber Guardian's on the right

The Mark I is 5 inches (the Mark II is 7 inches and it's a little long for a boot knife) and it fits inside a boot just fine.

You can find them on the web for less than $100 if you look around. I'm guessing that you'll use/carry it on deployments, so there's no issue of it being illegal to carry.

If $100 is too expensive there are a bunch of Gerber Mark I knock-offs...I think that S&W makes one.

"Cynicism is my armor, sarcasm my sword and apathy my shield."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:59 pm 

Ok. Im getting my firs fixed blade knife, and wanted to see what you guys had to recommend. Currently I have a k ka bar dozier, a ka bar zk pestilence chopper and small Ka bar archeron
I was looking to fill the gap between my3" blades and my 11" chopper, other than being a "midsize" knife, my only request is that it is under 75$ :ooh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:21 am 

GOODdaysir wrote:
Ok. Im getting my firs fixed blade knife, and wanted to see what you guys had to recommend. Currently I have a k ka bar dozier, a ka bar zk pestilence chopper and small Ka bar archeron
I was looking to fill the gap between my3" blades and my 11" chopper, other than being a "midsize" knife, my only request is that it is under 75$ :ooh:

Well I guess that puts it in the 5-9" range.
If you're looking at bigass 9" blades there's ones like the Kabar Bowie, Ontario SP10 marine raider bowie (a kinetic monster).
Towards 5" are those new Becker BK15, BK16 and BK17, the BK2, Gerber LMF, SOG seal team pup.
Edit: also the SOG NW ranger, SOG Tsunami, Kabar Navy Mark 1.
Halfway inbetween Onatario SP43, SP42, all those Kabar fighting knives etc...
In Cold Steel you've got ones like the Tanto Lite, OSI (in AUS8), Leatherneck, Outdoorsman Lite etc...

You'll just have to do some browsing and see what appeals to your desired function (some will also have better sheaths than others).

Last edited by Red Tamarillo on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 am 

I definitely like the 5-7" blades more, I was thinking that I like the LMFAO but I feel like I would be making a mistake if I don't have a ka bar, and plus what is the difference between the LMF and the prodigy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 am 

Ninja Elbow's got/had a prodigy but I can't (easily) find a review of it here like I think he did.
It uses cheaper steel and is slightly smaller.

The thing to remember about cheaper steel is that some guys obsess a lot about steel and which is x % better, ignoring the fact that most hunks of steel will never break with normal use or even a little abuse, they're hunks of steel afterall.

Though saying that, if I had a career that put me in harms way I'd be spending extra cash and buying the 'best' I could- a Busse or Swamp Rat. It depends on your circumstances.

There's so many choices out there, it just comes down to how much research you want to do, plus aesthetics/function/history etc... and when you decide to pull the pin.
If you're already heading a certain way and it's within budget you might as well go with your gut.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

proteus wrote:
sar5 wrote:
proteus wrote:

Thanks...I got a few more...

These are amazing blades...also getting a few more.

Awesome Collection! I just ordered a SARGE-7 For my self, First busse! I have seen them in the field and few compare to such high quality.

Sarge7 -7 Inch - Cost 514$ - With Mad Catz Kydex Sheath.

http://www.bussecompanystore.com/knives.htm

Currently for gear I am using a CRK - Yarborough, the Green Beret 7 Inch Version. Excellent Knife, Durable, and micarta scaled - I am picky on my sheath and it needs immediate replacement with something along the lines of dependable kydex. The BLAWKHAWK! Sheath it came with is very insecure and WOULD NOT recommend it, my reasoning behind this is, the sheath at the top is extremely floppy and does not secure the knife well at all, which under harsh conditions could leave you missing your knife. Cost - 325$ -7 Inch

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

For my Tomahawk I just received my RMJ Kestral- (8 months - Soldier for delivery), it is a beautiful piece of steel, and it is truly a master-piece. Cost - 450 $ - 13 Inch model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew7WalMf68Q

- Excellent Reviewing of a kestral - Note Extremely sharp from factory!!!

For smaller gear in field I would highly recommend a Leather-man CORE - I think I paid around 50$?

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Core

For a Tanto blade I would strongly recommend against the cold steel blade and direct you towards the KA-Bar Versions. The grips on the ka-bar are much better designed with a hand guard on the upper to prevent self injury in combat. -50-75$ -ebay. (6 Inches)

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/12

Same design but I have the smaller version, the kydex sheath is EXTREMELY well made.

Lastly For cheaper - large choppers I have a Ka-bar Becker BK 3 Tactical tool

This thing is a monster. Literally. If you are on an assault team and need to smash things this is something to consider. It makes a great camp tool however it is very heavy to handle. The sheath is of OK quality, the knife is however well designed and performs camp tasks well. It should be noted this is a single sided blade, and sharpening is more challenging. (The seat belt hook on back requires sharpening from factory **)

That one tool could build an empire if used right due to the massive amount of steel it has in it. 87$- Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK3 ... bar+becker

Good luck to all in your Steel searching adventures!

-Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:18 am 

hey, anyone have experience with the TOPS M4X Punisher ?

i heard good stuff about it and for what i saw, the only thing i didn't like is the sheath.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next