Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:28 am 

Here she is, a J. Adams Survival knife.

I've owned it for many years now and it's time to have a review buzzing about YT...

Video Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUDKQeparU

Blade length is 7 inches and it weighs just over 1lb

http://youtu.be/5VNkFgCjjHc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:18 am 

Looks like a very tough blade...

Scandi grind?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:17 am 

That looks like a British MOD knife... or at least that's what I've seen retailers call them. It looks really nice and its at the top of my next to buy knife list.

Frozen zombies pose little trouble until they thaw. So for 4 months or so Wisconsin is safe from the roaming hordes. Unless they develop an antifreeze agent in their bodies. What are the odds of that though?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 pm 

Scrap hound has it!
It's a British Army Survival Knife and still has the issue number on it :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:41 pm 

My ambiguous (Scandi Grind?), was in reference to the edge. Does the edge have a secondary bevel, or is it simply a saber grind to the edge, without a secondary bevel?

What is the thickness of the blade?

Nice knife! Prior to this I'd never seen nor heard of one. Thanks for the review!

Dom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:52 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Dominion wrote:
My ambiguous (Scandi Grind?), was in reference to the edge. Does the edge have a secondary bevel, or is it simply a saber grind to the edge, without a secondary bevel?

Nice knife! Prior to this I'd never seen nor heard of one. Thanks for the review!

Dom.

Since the blade appears blued or Parkerized, if the grind goes all the way to the edge, doesn't that mean you'd have to put a secondary bevel on it when you sharpen it, unless you want to wear all the finish off the primary (only) bevel maintaining the scandi grind? For this reason I assume it's got a secondary bevel already, since there's little point in putting a Scandi grind you're not going to be able to preserve.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:12 pm 

Jeriah wrote:
Dominion wrote:

Dom.

Since the blade appears blued or Parkerized, if the grind goes all the way to the edge, doesn't that mean you'd have to put a secondary bevel on it when you sharpen it, unless you want to wear all the finish off the primary (only) bevel maintaining the scandi grind? For this reason I assume it's got a secondary bevel already, since there's little point in putting a Scandi grind you're not going to be able to preserve.

Similar to my thoughts and the root of my question. In the vid review, a closeup of the blade is given. While looking as close as possible, I was not able to see a secondary bevel... thus the question was born.

He did say it was some sort of stainless, so it may not need as much protecting. In this application, the coating actually more likely for anti-reflection. Even so, this is an unusual application for a scandi grind, if indeed it is, for the reason you mentioned above.

Dom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:22 pm 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdt/420852179/

it has a sec grind

I really find it hard to believe its stainless... I dont see why it would have to be blued if it was SS and he did say it rusts pretty easy.. but I know nothing so I could be wrong but I will tell you that I think this knife is bad ass

they dont go for cheap ether. :evil:

Glocks never killed no Nazis. :D

AR15: Pray (it works) and spray
AK47: Spray and pray(you hit something)
Mosin-Nagant: The hammer of God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:29 pm 

Ah, can definitely see the edge on that one.

If you look on Kyle's vid review at 4:23, it's difficult to see.

Dom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm 

I know that knife it's an MOD survival knife commonly on aircrew issue.

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatal ... nives.html

Good quality carbon tool steel with a heavy duty baked on coating just like a service rifle so an armourer can re-coat it if needed, they are a full 1/4" thick.

They are flat ground on the bevel with a second grind on the edge, it doesn't need or want to be stainless.

I am not sure why some boutique knives like a RAT cost so much in comparsion, you can pick an MOD knife up for about £35-40.

It's a beast, you could batton with that thing using a sledge hammer.

An intersting knife is the IDF Knife lower down which is like a SOG knife for about half the price and probably the same build quality if it's a sheffield job

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:20 pm 

Weren't those knives made to hack through airplanes for rescue and recovery; stuff like that?
Well...that's what I heard, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 pm 

Nope.

They were meant for downed aircrew in the jungles of Belize who need to make a fire.

Pilots are surounded by plexi glass, the idea of suriving a crash and hacking through aircraft skin is bullshit, if you are trapped in the wreckage of a downed helicopter then you are probably dead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:39 am 

Dominion wrote:

Dom.

I'm just going out the door but off the top of my head from memory (it's back in it's drawer) about 1/4 inch...
Thanks for the responses.
You could cut through thin aluminium with this thing btw as it's got good weight behind it.
I may of been wrong when I said stainless steel, this is due to the finish on it and going off memory of the other knife like this one I saw 12 years ago it may of been carbon...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:05 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Pretty cool knife, especially for the price. My only quibbles are the guard, which would get in the way of certain tasks, and the bluntness of the tip, I'd prefer something slightly pointier (but not much). Those rivets are sexeh.

What's the sheath like?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:43 pm 

These knives were also issued to the Royal Marines and Army units on arctic training. I have what I believe to be an early model D version, blue blade and bolts holding the scales on rather than parkerised blade and copper rivets holding the scales on.

Couple of good write ups (with pic’s) here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54345
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... ival-knife

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:07 pm 

The short lived yet not widely issued replacement was this beast before Wilkinson Sword stopped making military blades.

http://www.dartmoorknife.co.uk/

I think these guys picked up the remaining knives.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:04 pm 

My wilkie [shitty pic, didn't want to bog down the thread]

Did some fairly simple mods to it over the years. Ground down the upper parry protection. Smoothed out the grip and put bicycle inner tube on it.

Lanyard is currently off since it will be reground and reprofiled a bit. Full skandi and that is a problem sometimes. It is my favorite chopped short of an axe, but if you slip up and hit something like gravel with a skandi that long, well here is the result.

So you wither go with a beveled edge or you regrind allot and act all paranoid every time you chop something. :|

3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:09 pm 

I got it right what do I win? :D JK

Wow the more I see of these the more I want one. I've been looking at kabar's too but these look more like what I want. Excellent Knives.

SeaLegs I'm already paranoid I might as well get the knife too :lol:

Frozen zombies pose little trouble until they thaw. So for 4 months or so Wisconsin is safe from the roaming hordes. Unless they develop an antifreeze agent in their bodies. What are the odds of that though?