Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snares for Zombies?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:38 am 
I've been trying to learn to snare small animals for food, and then it occurred to me: Snares catch small, stupid animals. Would they be able to catch zombies?

Squirrels are sometimes caught by snares made by leaning a new piece of wood against a squirrel's tree. The squirrel naturally walks all over the new piece of wood, investigating it. If there's a small loop of wire about the size of the squirrel's head, it will investigate, get caught, and then end up dangling from the wire.

Most snares involve getting the animal to step into a loop, or to stick it's head into a loop. There are many books on how to cosntruct them. If zombies are too stupid to pull a rope off their leg, we might have an easy imobilizer.

Could we take advantage of something similar by having a board seperate two roofs (one that you are one, and one that's full of zombies) so that the zombies try to come across, and (instead of falling) they get hung up on the rope - effectively immobilizing them?

I'm trying to get a feel for what level of intelligence the zombies have. In DOTD '04, the one (fast) zombie was hit with the large propane canister, and it was about to throw it back. That implies that they might be able to do simple things. I'm pretty sure any loop that was self-tightening wire would work wonders.

Then there's always those 'nam era traps - would a warning sign saying "don't step on the yellow tarp" prevent anyone other than a zombie from being hurt?

Yhe infantry depends on dug-in defenses as a force multiplier when they are being shot at. What kind of defences would be apropriate against zombies other than the standard "board up the windows, and shoot them through the slots."

Would knee-high barriers slow shuffling zombies significantly?

Andy Out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:47 am 

Snares would probably not work because the zombie would struggle enough to take whatever limb was caught right off. Pitfalls would work until they got filled- clean 'em out no worries.

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:12 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm thinking, a backhoe with time to dig can make a 30ft long 10 ft deep hole, thats enough room for a lot of zombies, get some keorsine and or flammable substance, and you have a no-hassle zombie creamtorium fully functioning 24/7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:09 am 

could be useful to slow a break-in as well. especially because you could design it to make a lot of noise or something.

hopefully your defences would be adequate.. but it'd be nice for peace of mind maybe :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:44 pm 

I think a snare would be a wonderful idea in some situations. I don't think that a stagger would really pay attention to a big sign saying "Don't walk here!!!". As far as the board between roof tops, Who wants to play bait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My middle name is bait, i am psyched by the idea of hand to hand combat with zombies, i'd be 6 inches away if they couldnt touch me, i love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:24 pm 

Snares sound good to me, but Gallagher might want to curb his entuhusiam a touch over being deisgnated as "bait".

I don't think dumping chemicals on pitted zombies would be a good plan either. You never know where that fire's gonna go, and that much fire, with a little wind to stir it...

...You'd be better off hurling rocks or bricks or something from up above.

...Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well. So what if i'm a freak for hunting the undead, is that so wrong? but if you take time to dig the pit, you can easily bait them into it without personal injury, and if you are smart you will dig it in lets say a field, or an open area a block or two from the stronghold, so you don't have to worry about any 'ashes" or anything drifting. Hurling rocks and bricks eventually fills the hole, and then you have to dig a new one, very time consuming and in efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 pm 

All I know is that if this were a movie, more zombies would appear out of nowhere when we went to kill the ones in the pit, and someone would get pushed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:04 pm 

... I hope I'm not the only one who has any faith in my throwing arm, because that's a LOT of rocks.

Of course, if I had a bunch of zombies trapped in a hole, I'd probably just surround the hole with "CAUTION" tape and abandon them.

...Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:06 pm 

Gallagher wrote:
Well. So what if i'm a freak for hunting the undead, is that so wrong? but if you take time to dig the pit, you can easily bait them into it without personal injury, and if you are smart you will dig it in lets say a field, or an open area a block or two from the stronghold, so you don't have to worry about any 'ashes" or anything drifting. Hurling rocks and bricks eventually fills the hole, and then you have to dig a new one, very time consuming and in efficient.

To me there would be way to much oppurtunity for Mr. Murphy to get involved while being the bait for this trap. A broken shoe lace, a zig when you should have zagged, hell even a cramp could lead to you being one more to lure into the pit. Well, not lure, fall into the pit because I don't think volunteers would be easy to get for the next run.':)'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The only time i have ever cramped, was when i was involved in an extra curricular activity..... very strenuously..... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:06 am 

hey that's a great idea actually. imagine having a moat of zombies around your stronghold! be an excellent deterrent to any would-be scavangers/attackers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:53 am 

I brought it up before, but using a post-hole digging tool to make a 6-8 inch hole, three feet deep would trap a zombie leg and we are pretty much in agreement that they lack the coordination to extract themselves. Without the ability to bend their knee, they would be stuck in the hole where you could finish them off in the morning with a spear. This is a nice, quiet, and efficient way to safeguard your BOL and most other people would be able to haul themselves out of the hole. The leg is also too large a limb and too well attached to the trunk of the body to simply "tear off". This trap also doesn't use spikes or wires to hold the zombie in place, so you don't need to have any extra supplies other than the post-hole digger, that has other more practical uses around the camp or base.

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 pm 

If the snares were densely placed in a perimeter, I think that would work nicely on zombies. And occasionally you'd catch a small woodland creature for dinner. Two birds with one stone.