It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Should I get one?
Yes. 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
No. 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Smatchet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:32 pm 

I recently picked up a copy of the "Encyclopedia of Handheld weapons" which basically covered every kind of major pistols, shotgun, rifles, sub machine gun, combat knife, survival knife, and tool that you could possibly ever come across in the real world, their basic construction, strengths and weaknesses, and how to operate them.

So far it has been a GREAT book, but I found one entry in the "survival knife" catagory that REALLY perked my intrest, and it is...

THE SMATCHET.
http://www.gutterfighting.org/smatchet.html

It seems to be the best possible balance between a knife and a hatchet i've ever seen.

Its good for chopping, hammering, used as a rudimentary paddle, stabbing, cutting, and of course SMASHING.

It seems to me to be the ideal survival weapon, and I want one.

I was just wondering if anyone here either has one, has handled one, or knows something that I don't that can give me some advice on it.

And if so, should I get this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:59 am 

Its another descendant of the greek kopis, with the curved weight forward balance like the kukri. Being double edged has good and bad points. Edge get dull? Turn it around. Has a decent point for stabbing. It could be pricey, though.

Post subject: Re: Smatchet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:32 pm 

Cricket wrote:
It seems to me to be the ideal survival weapon, and I want one.

If the price is right, it might be worth a try to test it out. I can't say I've ever handled or seen one, but I'm not sure it's best to call it "the ideal survival weapon" if you've never used it. You <i>could</i> be looking at a good survival weapon, but you could <i>also</i> be looking at an overpriced weapon that makes a crappy knife and a crappy hatchet.

As those I most condemn. "
L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:48 am 

I can't see the picture, but the book itself sounds like something worth hunting for this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:41 pm 

It looks like Sting, from the Lord of the Rings.

Post subject: Re: Smatchet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:02 pm 

RealityDeviant wrote:
you could <i>also</i> be looking at an overpriced weapon that makes a crappy knife and a crappy hatchet.

Give the man a cee-gar!

-Mark Twain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:30 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I just picked up that same book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:37 pm 

bolth the book and knife could be very useful, and i take back my no vote

-Douglas Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:29 am 

Looks like it could be used for throwing.

But unless anyone has actually had a chance to test it in the real world. We really aren't sure of it's capabilities. I agree with RD than it can be a good survival tool or a really expensive sucky knife and hatchet.

ps: And in case you come across a harder surface to cut through and you have to hammer the back somewhat, it's gonna dull the blade that sou hammered. Leaving you with two dull edges.

Bear_B wrote:
I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:17 am 

BloodLust wrote:
Looks like it could be used for throwing.

Well, not that you can <i>really</i> tell until you get a hold of one, but from just looking at it I'd think that it isn't balanced for throwing.

If you want a decent multipurpose thrower, Cold Steel's True Flight Thrower will work.

L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:09 pm 

that true flight thrower looks like it would make a good boot knife

what about this thing
http://www.coldsteel.com/92sfs.html

-Douglas Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:28 pm 

RealityDeviant wrote:
Well, not that you can <i>really</i> tell until you get a hold of one, but from just looking at it I'd think that it isn't balanced for throwing.

Its a big, heavy POS. You could throw a rock that weighed as much at someone and hurt them badly, so Im sure the knife would work just fine.

-Mark Twain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:18 pm 

Wylycoyte wrote:
Its a big, heavy POS. You could throw a rock that weighed as much at someone and hurt them badly, so Im sure the knife would work just fine.

There are a number of problems with this:

1) It’s generally considered stupid to throw your only knife in a combat situation, and with the weight and bulk of the smatchet, I doubt it would be sensible to carry several on you.

2) I Googled smatchets looking for price estimates, and it looks like a full-size smatchet can sell for anywhere from seventy-five to over two-hundred dollars. That’s an expensive knife to go throwing around.

3) If a knife is not balanced and meant for throwing, it <i>can</i> be thrown, but there’s a lack of precision and non-throwing knives are prone to breaking when thrown. In order to throw a knife with any measure of skill you will have to practice your ass off. I’d sure hate to go through a dozen or so smatchets before I became “skilled” with them.

4) A good knife-thrower needs to be able to properly gauge strike distances and throw accordingly. Even expert throwers tend to use targets that have a fixed distance and are either immobile or are moving slowly and regularly. When you’re in a combat situation and dealing with a faster target that moves more erratically, it gets really tough.

5) The smatchet may not be light, but throwing it at someone does not mean that a “no stick” throw will do the same damage as a rock of equal weight. Throwing a knife is not the same as throwing a rock. But let’s say for argument’s sake you have a two-pound rock and want to “hurt [someone] badly” without the use of a sling. You would probably have to hit them in the head or the extremities. In this case, your target area would become smaller and even then you may not end the combat.

I’m not saying successfully throwing this knife or any knife in combat is impossible, but it’s very difficult. Doing it with a knife like the smatchet would probably be more difficult than with a throwing knife, and aiming at a smaller target in order to do more damage on a "no stick" would make it harder still.

Smersh, as far as the shovel is concerned, it looks like it would make a decent multipurpose tool.

L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:49 am 

Ladies and gentlemen, I HAVE thrown a smatchet, and they are fine for throwing. Heavy knives are EASIER to throw, plus the smatchet is long, so it's easy to control the spin.

And the thing hits targets like a Mac truck, believe me.

PLUS, the smatchet used to come standard with the loadout of British infantry (or paratroopers, I'm not entirely sure). So it has seen military experience, which means it is reliablie (provided you get a good one).

Finally, you can actually find pamphlets and training guides on the proper application of the smatchet. I don't own one, but have done extensive research and know people who DO own a smatchet, and I believe it to be a fine weapon.

...Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:58 am 

Reality, it seems I wasn't clear. I wasn't advocating throwing knives at all, especially not that one.

What I WAS saying, is that the fricking thing probably weighs enough to do hurt no matter what end hit.

As for it being a multipurpose tool...to say that I think the shovel would be a better pick is putting it mildly. The Smatchet's double edged and has a full guard. That means that the thing will be extremely cumbersome to try to work with. The shovel's not exactly a woodworking favorite either, but it's not really pretending to be.

For a pure weapon, the smatchet's great. For a multipurpose tool, a $5 machete would probably take you farther.

-Mark Twain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:42 am 

No worries, Wyly. You weren’t the only factor that motivated that post. Since people are often misled when it comes to knife-throwing, I consider it best to stomp on that idea when it comes up.

Okay, so we’ve got someone who has used the smatchet and favors it as a weapon. Of course, since it’s touted as a “survival knife,” we’re looking for a bit more. Pro, in your experience, is it also a good multipurpose tool?

And it’s comforting to know that the smatchet can be used as a throwing knife. However, as most of my objections to it still stand, I believe that it would be a bad idea to throw it in combat unless you are A)using it as a diversion, B)have no other choice (e.g. your assailant is pointing a gun at you), or C)have some sort of backup if you miss or get a “no stick” hit.

L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:44 pm 

Throwing one's knife in combat is almost always a bad idea. I would not throw the smatchet unless there was an assailant with a gun within range and I was absolutely sure he intended to kill me immediately. And I had no other weapon. Or clothing. Or anything I might use as a weapon.

Or cover. Get the point?

The smatchet was designed for use as a weapon, and, much like the Brit's other military knives, is excellent for use as a weapon, but has few other practical uses.

If you need an all-purpose knife, I'd recommend a K-Bar. if you have fantasies about running into the midst of your foes and chopping heads left and right, bring along a smatchet.

A machete is better for clearing brush, but the smatchet's better for in-fighting. Period.

...Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:33 pm 

The article on the knife mentioned that with a good smatchet you can use it for a lot of things, like as a hammer, a rudimentary paddle, and of course a sawing or chopping tool.

I really wish I could test one out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:52 pm 

You can do all of those things better (except maybe paddle) with a KBar.

Plus KBars are easier to come by. You'd have to find a novelty collector to get your hands on a smatchet.

...Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:34 am 

The smachet looks like a good bladed weapon, it has the power of a kukri so it can go in a skull, but since its flat you can get better leverege on it and pry or wiggle it out of a zombies skull easier. Definetly give it a try, if you got the cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:31 am 

The Smatchet design was superceded by the Fairsword. I do not know why they keep producing the Smatchet instead of the Fairsword since the newer design dates from 41 or so!

It was designed as a weapon and it works pretty well, but it ain't much of a camp knife.

The Fairsword had a guard and an asymmetrical [bird's head] grip, FYI.