Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am 

Fire wrote:
If anyone cares , all the cold steel hawks now come with an allen wrench adjustable screw set into them to keep that annoying head slidey thing from happening anymore......

Doesnt work in my experience. The allen screw just dug a furrow about an inch long on one 'hawk. On another, the screw just fell out. Locktite would have fixed that, but it was my first outing with it and didnt know what to expect. YMMV

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 am 

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:
Locktite would have fixed that, but it was my first outing with it and didnt know what to expect. YMMV

Good tip - I just picked up a Cold Steel Trail Hawk on clearance, I'll Locktite the screw before I take it out...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:06 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Fire wrote:
If anyone cares , all the cold steel hawks now come with an allen wrench adjustable screw set into them to keep that annoying head slidey thing from happening anymore......

Doesnt work in my experience. The allen screw just dug a furrow about an inch long on one 'hawk. On another, the screw just fell out. Locktite would have fixed that, but it was my first outing with it and didnt know what to expect. YMMV

Same here.. :(

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:11 am 

Woods Walker wrote:
Fire wrote:

Same here.. :(

I added some Locktite to the screw on mine last night - I'll test it next time I'm out and post my results. Worst-case scenario, I'll drill through the other side of the head and put a bolt all the way through it...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 pm 

Thread RISE FROM THE DEAD!!!!
Seriously, there is no good hatchet/tomahawk discusion currently on the forum so I had to practice necro on this one.
I have the old 14" Fiskars and have loved it dearly and last year bought the new X7 on sale at Crappy Tire for $20 and I haven't any reason to beleive that it won't be as good as my old friend.
I also picked up a Cold Steel Trailhawk last year and after sharpening it (had a blunt edge at best) tossing the set screw and properly seating the head then shortening the handle to 17" (seems to ballance the best there for me) it is a pretty decent little tool.
cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 pm 

Since my last post in 2008, I have put a lot of miles on my large and small Fiskars in the picture at the bottom of the last page. I re-sharpened all of them and repainted the small one for rust protection. Yes, it is just a hatchet but I could use it as a hawk. I've looked at a number of hawks that would not work as well as a hatchet for me. I'll stick with the small Fiskars. Don't get me wrong, some of those hawks out there now look sooooo cool.

DK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:22 pm 

I use a CS norse hawk in my game processing bag.
I've used it on a few moose and an elk and it worked well.
I also have fun with my trail hawk.
I am not fond of the rifleman's hawk I have but I have heard they handle much better if you cut the hammer poll off.
I cut mine off a while back and it seems better but I won't know for sure until I take it camping

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:25 pm 

coyotebc wrote:
I use a CS norse hawk in my game processing bag.
I've used it on a few moose and an elk and it worked well.
I also have fun with my trail hawk.
I am not fond of the rifleman's hawk I have but I have heard they handle much better if you cut the hammer poll off.
I cut mine off a while back and it seems better but I won't know for sure until I take it camping

Did you have to heavily modify your CS hawks as I did my Tralihawk before it was realy usefull?
cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:37 pm 

I just sharpened the norse hawk and tossed the set screw.
I bought my nephew one for Christmas back in 2009 and he has used it as his only hatchet/throwing hawk since. He loves it
The trail hawk I just sharpened and tossed the set screw, I did buy a longer handle for it but I haven't put it on yet to try it.
I sharpened the riflemans hawk, didn't like it but a friend of mine cut the poll of his and he really likes it now.
I just did the same and will try it out and see what its like

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 pm 

I forgot the first thing I always do to a cs hawk is to smooth out the inside of the eye.
It helps keep the handle from breaking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm 

I also have two of the fiskar hatchets and I think they are great for the money.
My one daughter bought me the gerber gator pack axe (the one with the knife in the handle), even though the head looks like the fiskars hatchet it is not the same.
My fiskars are made in findland and my gerber in taiwan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:48 pm 

coyotebc wrote:
I forgot the first thing I always do to a cs hawk is to smooth out the inside of the eye.
It helps keep the handle from breaking

This is very important! I forgot to mention it as well.
As for the Gerber being made in Taiwan I am going to have to check in to that!
I always just figured they were an over priced version of my much loved Fiskars.
cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:58 pm 

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11182.html
here is mine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:01 pm 

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11182.html
here is mine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 am 

I have a Rifleman's Hawk and the Norsehawk. I love the Norsehawk and use it all this time. I keep the head and handle separate when not in use. As for seating the head I took a small steel 3/4 inch length screw and screwed it in an upward diagonal angle under the poll. It practically cements it in the wood. I also drill a hole in the bottom of the handle where i can feed a leather strap though to keep my power hand from sliding on heavy chore work. For chores if your head is coming loose you are cutting with it wrong. You're greatest point of impact will be the lower half of the arch in the blade, which drives the head up into the shoulder. I rarely use anything other than a firm tap to keep it in place, unless we are talking about combat. (this is where I add the screw)

As for the Rifleman's Hawk, not a fan. Too much weight in all the wrong places. The cutting edge is way too small for any heavy chore use.