Flashlights that double as decent impact weapons?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Leif3141
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like fast zombies! I like the infected!

Flashlights that double as decent impact weapons?

Post by Leif3141 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 pm

The only kind I can think of is maglite...but maglites aren't the brightest flashlight I've ever held. Anyone know of a brand with a nice bright light that would fulfill this role? Seems like most of the flashlight topics I searched for are regarding what kinds to attach to guns. I currently carry my maglite with me at night when walking my dog, but would like an improvement.

jor-el

Re: Flashlights that double as decent impact weapons?

Post by jor-el » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Which one? Which bulb? They make LED drop ins that are huge improvements over the old wire types.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 pm

I believe there's a company called "Nite Ize" that makes a conversion kit for the big MagLites (I think it's for the D cell battery models).

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:26 pm

+1 on the LED upgrade. I was a big fan of the old D cell mag lights, but I got away from them after the whole small super bright CREE flashlights came out. One thing those D cell mag lights were good for was "Thwacking". Great to have one under the bed at home, or under your seat in the car.

Maybe some of the LEOs in ZS can attest to this. I remember for a short while in the 90's cops carried 4 to 5 D Cell mag lights as nightsticks, I guess until something happened.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 am

Another vote for the LED Maglite. I've only used the conversion, I'm not sure how bright the stock LED ones are that they have now. I keep meaning to buy one just for the hell of it. In my opinion, maglites are the quintessential "thwacker" lights. They have that iconic look that I love as well. For the price and durability, you can't really go wrong. I have a 3D cell, a 4D cell and countless minimags, and they all keep ticking.

I guess it really depends on how much light you feel you need for doing what you need to do. What size cel Maglite are you currently using?
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 am

a smaller thumper (9 1/2" long) could be a streamlight stinger, about the length of a 2D mag light, but much brighter.

there was a gentleman on another forum that used the bodies of mag lights, but replaced the guts with a ridiculously bright bulb, and electronics. i will see if i can dig hos sight up when i get home.

edit - looks like he went out of business, the web sight is gone.
Last edited by emclean on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:28 am

+1 for Maglight. They give a licking and keep on ticking. :D

The new D cell LED maglights work great and are bright, but the light they produce is IMO no better than the LED Mini-maglights. They get better run time since the battery is bigger and they are still great clubs.

I have upgraded older Maglights with these bulbs:

DO NOT expect CREE performance from them but they are a cheap upgrade and do greatly extend the battery life.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MP ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-LRB2-07- ... ZYNF13Z39S

I have likewise installed these bulbs in 3 d cell maglights with good results. Again not as bright as a new LED minimag light but better than the above.
http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EXB ... R4CDSNZ7E2

However for the cost of these you almost buy a new 2 d cell led Maglight...so save your money.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:27 pm

maglight!!!!!! not the brightest, but for me, functional and cheap to maintain.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Musubi

Post by Musubi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:48 pm

If I fashion a cobra weave strap onto the body of a 4+ cell model would it be considered more of a weapon than a flashlight??
RodCornholio wrote:It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes.
The shaking becomes a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm

Led lenser do a 3d job. That is a really good torch.

You can buy bat lights from eBay that run from semi sensible to full on zombie killer.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 pm

drop bear wrote:

That's awesome.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Leif3141
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like fast zombies! I like the infected!

Post by Leif3141 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the conversion kit, or just buying a new maglite. The old one's so bad it barely provides enough light to see where the dog crapped. LOL. Currently its a 3d maglite, but old school.

Some of those baton flashlights look a little more ergonomic with an actual handle tho...heh.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:59 am

My local army surplus guy knows that I hike solo or with my kids a lot, so took a security angle when I went looking for a new flashlight a few months ago. He recommended a Fenix with a bevelled edge around the lens that he said makes it a great impact weapon. The basic idea is that you smash the lens end against any attacker and the little bevels make it hurt more than it would otherwise.

It was WAY out of my price range but thought it might be worth a mention here. Here's a link:

http://www.policesupplies.ca/fenix_tk15.htm
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Surefire E2D defender, and a knife is what I carry when I cannot carry a pistol. Never used it for anything other than a light. It looks like it would really suck to be on the pointy end of. Not a club of any kind but it fits in your pocket.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:47 am

bacpacjac wrote:My local army surplus guy knows that I hike solo or with my kids a lot, so took a security angle when I went looking for a new flashlight a few months ago. He recommended a Fenix with a bevelled edge around the lens that he said makes it a great impact weapon. The basic idea is that you smash the lens end against any attacker and the little bevels make it hurt more than it would otherwise.

It was WAY out of my price range but thought it might be worth a mention here. Here's a link:

http://www.policesupplies.ca/fenix_tk15.htm
Using a flashlight as an improvised fist load, kubotan, yawara stick etc... seems to be a pretty popular technique. I've preached it to a few friends in the past. An aggressive bevel, as well as a high lumen output is a winning combo in that regard. I'm a huge fan of Fenix lights as well.

But give me a good cudgel any day of the week :D .
drop bear wrote:Led lenser do a 3d job. That is a really good torch.

You can buy bat lights from eBay that run from semi sensible to full on zombie killer.

My problem with these are that they well... look to much like you are carrying around a dang club. I guess it really depends on your location, but I'd rather not be drawing eyes looking like some guy strolling around with a billy club in their hands.

At least mag-lites have that iconic profile that everyone instantly recognizes. Hmm, I wonder if there is a place for a thread concerning modifications to a standard mag-lite that improve its capability as a defensive weapon without drastically altering its appearance. That'd be a fun little project.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:54 am

Put a smaller, more efficient flashlight like a Fenix inside a big maglite body. Fill the rest of the body with something to give it weight and rigidity. You now have LED/CREE power, AA batteries, more shockproofitivity, and the length of a maglite.

Or carry a Fenix and a whatever impact weapon. ASP, knife, gat, etc. If you need the light to see, you need the light to see what you're swinging at. If you don't need the light to see, then you'll be no more out of place carryign a big maglite in your hand than you carrying a umbrella.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:22 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Put a smaller, more efficient flashlight like a Fenix inside a big maglite body. Fill the rest of the body with something to give it weight and rigidity. You now have LED/CREE power, AA batteries, more shockproofitivity, and the length of a maglite.

Or carry a Fenix and a whatever impact weapon. ASP, knife, gat, etc. If you need the light to see, you need the light to see what you're swinging at. If you don't need the light to see, then you'll be no more out of place carryign a big maglite in your hand than you carrying a umbrella.

Here I was, thinking low tech. Just something along the lines of an improved grip and lanyard. You had to go ahead and drop an actual idea on top of all that. That would be interesting to see though.

I actually have a small bit of gaffers tape wrapped around the shaft near the bulb end of my Maglite. I didn't do it for grip, I actually did it because I keep losing those damn rubber button covers. It does help with grip I suppose, but I've never done more than play swing at the air with a Maglite before. As you said, they make real items meant for that.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:58 pm

I personally carry a Klarus XT11 Upgrade.
www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=63

Malkoff drop-ins are always good. Elzetta also uses Malkoff modules for their bodies.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-in-m ... 4d-maglite

Another option is Terra Lux.
terraluxportable.com/products/led-conversion-kits/
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 am

I currently run four 4C maglites (2 in cars, others in the house) with LED drop in upgrades. And a bit of hockey grip tape.

Just be aware I bought another the other day to upgrade and send to a friend, they've changed the bulb- it now has two pins on the back like in the minimags. So the LED drop in I've got isn't compatible.
It's a Xenon bulb in the 4C, whereas the older ones were just plain.

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:40 pm

http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EXB ... pd_cp_hi_1

I just bought this for my 3D Maglite. Works like a charm.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:32 pm

grennels wrote:http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EXB ... pd_cp_hi_1

That's nice. Thanks for sharing
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:12 pm

I have an old 4D without any modifications. I guess when the bulb dies I might upgrade, how many lumins is the upgrade?
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 pm

manowar1313 wrote:I have an old 4D without any modifications. I guess when the bulb dies I might upgrade, how many lumins is the upgrade?
Read the reviews at this link. It provides good information
grennels wrote:http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EXB ... pd_cp_hi_1

This is the bulb for 4-6 d cell lights.
http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EX- ... y_hi_img_z

Return to “Other Weapons”