Need info on Knife blade material from china!

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wolverine_173

Need info on Knife blade material from china!

Post by wolverine_173 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:55 pm

So ive been doing some research on blade material. I dont like to spend a lot on knives for various reasons. It seems i can get cheaper knives from china that perform just as well as more expensive knives.

chinese brands such as harnds, enlan, and sanrenmu say they make their knives out of 8cr14mov, 8cr13mov and 8cr13mov. The knives run about 15 bucks and from my research that steel is just as good as asu-8 steel

from what i hear its on par with crkt's, spyderco, kershaw blades that cost $30.

Does anyone have insight or experience? Im also want to hear about 9cr18mov, is it much better than 8cr13 or 14mov? And how about s30v steel?

wolverine_173

Re: Need info on Knife blade material from china!

Post by wolverine_173 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:24 pm

would any of these work to quarter a deer?

wolverine_173

Post by wolverine_173 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:27 pm

or this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-List ... 51298.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:39 pm

wolverine_173 wrote:So ive been doing some research on blade material. I dont like to spend a lot on knives for various reasons. It seems i can get cheaper knives from china that perform just as well as more expensive knives.

chinese brands such as harnds, enlan, and sanrenmu say they make their knives out of 8cr14mov, 8cr13mov and 8cr13mov. The knives run about 15 bucks and from my research that steel is just as good as asu-8 steel

from what i hear its on par with crkt's, spyderco, kershaw blades that cost $30.

Does anyone have insight or experience? Im also want to hear about 9cr18mov, is it much better than 8cr13 or 14mov? And how about s30v steel?
Yes, they say that, but we're talking about a country where making fake products and counterfeits is considered an acceptable business practice.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm

The "Byrd" line from Spyderco is certainly made from 8cr13mov but actual Spyderco's with the round hole tend not to be

My last Spyderco was a bog standard nylon handled $40 late 90's Delica and that was Japanese ATS-34 which was head and shoulders above AUS8 or 440C type steel

Making the leap between basic, servicable but harder to sharpen stainless steel and the really tough but easy to sharpen steels is now a much more expensive business than it was, which is why carbon steels have made such a comeback of late.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Most of the ones the op listed are junk knock offs. They are cheap for a reason, crap steel, crap quality and forget a warranty. They won't hold an edge long enough to quarter a deer or skin one. If you just don't have extra money for a knife go to walmart and get the cheapest kershaw or even a gerber and use that. It would be better to just save your money for a bit more and get a better quality blade. Or get a cheap condor brand knife and use that or a machete. Damn near anything but those knock off pieces of crap.
ZS#4545

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Its been in my experience, that most cheap knives are cheap for a reason. A lot more goes into what makes a knife good or bad than just the grade of steel they claim to make it out of.

The tempering of the steel, the fit and finish, the angles/grinds of the blade, and the overall ergonomics play a big part.

I can understand trying to find a good knife on a budget. But there are plenty of other options made by more reputable makers, that will probably come with a much better warranty.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 pm

If you were telling me you can get a $15 Chinese knockoff of a $100 brand made knife I would say go for it, but your are talking about brand names knives in the $30 range and can even be found even cheaper on sale? I say why bother. Buying online directly from China you could get a decent knife, or you can get a "steaming hot mess" of a knife with rough handle edges, machine marks, and a cockeye blade, that will fall apart in a week. If it does fall apart good luck getting your money back. For $15 more you can a good name brand knife, and if there is a problem you can get your money back or the manufacture can fix it.

Its like watches. If you really wanted a Rolex or a Tag Heuer watch, but didn't have that much money and you can get a knockoff for $25, I would say go for it. However why on earth would you buy a $25 Chinese knockoff of a basic Timex watch?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm

wolverine_173 wrote:or this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-List ... 51298.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why when you can get a USA made Ontario and Ka-bars for around the same price. Even a Cold steel and SOGs prices are better. While it looks "interesting" that Chinese strider handle scales and exposed full tang looks real uncomfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh= ... 1382385727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh= ... 1382385840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:18 pm

^^^ Yeah,buy American

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 pm

get back with you,will do so reading but .... if it sound to good something may be a miss.Personally I am old school the modern metals are not to my liking.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

jackson51
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM!

Post by jackson51 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I second everything said so far and would like to add my suggestion for a good quality budget knife.

Morakniv is a Swedish company that makes excellent sub $20 knives. Most of them are carbon steel so you have to take care of them if you don't want them to rust, but they are incredibly sharp and hold a good edge (to an extent).

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftlin ... 00816PZ8W/

Cold Steel is another good choice.
Giacomo wrote:Ya right, everyone knows that's just an urban legend. Like the easter fairy, tooth bunny and Norway.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Moras are fantastic budget knives, and there are pages and pages of mora love here on the ZS boards. I highly recommend ordering from Ragnar at RagweedForge. Great prices and no nonsense shipping. $6 flat rate to anywhere in the country. I even got mine within just a few days and I'm all the way in Hawaii.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

My current favorite, and current go-to sub 4" knife is the mora robust.

Note that these all have scandi grinds, which need to be sharped a little bit differently than most traditional western grinds we see here in the states.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

buck85

Post by buck85 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:12 pm

wolverine_173 wrote:So ive been doing some research on blade material. I dont like to spend a lot on knives for various reasons. It seems i can get cheaper knives from china that perform just as well as more expensive knives.

The steel is almost the same.Why are the cheaper?
1 the overall workmanship is poor
2the value of the dollar verse yen
3 cheaper labor
4 they are lying about the materials used
All I can say is buy it and try it and let us know what you think
Last edited by buck85 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

buck85

Post by buck85 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Trust is an important factor in any purchase,that is why I trust the brands that I do.

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:Moras are fantastic budget knives, and there are pages and pages of mora love here on the ZS boards. I highly recommend ordering from Ragnar at RagweedForge. Great prices and no nonsense shipping. $6 flat rate to anywhere in the country. I even got mine within just a few days and I'm all the way in Hawaii.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

My current favorite, and current go-to sub 4" knife is the mora robust.

Note that these all have scandi grinds, which need to be sharped a little bit differently than most traditional western grinds we see here in the states.

Amazon has a good selection as well, if that's your cup of tea. I personally have a Prime membership and I get free 2 day shipping on most things...so it's generally my first place to look for stuff.
Giacomo wrote:Ya right, everyone knows that's just an urban legend. Like the easter fairy, tooth bunny and Norway.

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Why buy from someone you know is lying to you? They're representing that as a Strider/TAD collaboration (a limited production run of a model, which means the price is most likely *higher*), ripped off the trademarked logo, etc. What in the nine circles of Hell makes you think they won't feed you a line of crap about the steel they're using?

If you're going to get a cheap knife, at least get one that's honest about it.

Strider's least expensive fixed blade on their website is $120, and most are above $300. Customers buy everything they make at those prices for a reason. Whatever that thing on the Ali Express website is, it's not going to be remotely in the same league.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Going from the data on the chart provided by buck85, it looks like a good alloy. I call into question whether that knife linked to on Ali Express is made of that steel, heat treated right, or any other aspect of construction on it done right. Something made from it by a maker/company that doesn't lie to you about their product is probably a good choice.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I'll speak from personal experience here. A while back I found a "SOG Flash Tanto" on ebay for $6 with free shipping from China. I bought it knowing that it was a forgery simply out of curiosity to see how it compared to other SOG knives that I own. In short, it doesn't. It looks like a SOG, kind of feels like a SOG, but most certainly isn't a SOG. While the fit and finish on it are surprisingly decent, the steel is what kills it. It has a very cheap 440 blade and holds an edge right up to the point that you actually need to use it.

Point being, cheap knives from China are crap...especially ones passing themselves off as top dollar blades. They might make a good show piece, but when it comes down to it they just aren't good enough to be very useful.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:23 am

wolverine_173 wrote:would any of these work to quarter a deer?
To Quarter and butchering a deer I like a knife with a 4" to 6" blade, not too thick or big. There are so many options, but usually most people I know use a kitchen boning knife. That and you would need a saw.

Flip side is gutting a deer you don't want too long of a blade because you can cut the bowels and have crap leak out all over and spoil the meat. Some say that you shouldn't go over a 3.5" blade, but you can gut a deer with a longer blade if you are careful.

So if you want a do it all knife, for say under $60, there are plenty options out there. Look at the Buck Woodman, Omni hunter and ranger (USA made), SOG Field Pup, Kabar Gamestalker (USA made), among others

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 pm

The above posters know what they are talking about. But if you are in need of a knife, I have a few never used to lightly used folders and fixed blades that are properly cared for. So depending on what exactly you are looking for, maybe I could just mail one to you for nothing, just take it off my hands. I have a brand new Cold Steel Bushman (SK5 steel), or my previous EDC folder: SOG Trident (AUS8 Steel), a never used SOG SEAL Pup (AUS8), a new SOG Fixation dagger (8CR13MOV, pretty cool actually), never used Gerber Big Rock (440A stainless). I have too much, I am looking to downsize...

For those in this thread, I will list these and more and what I'm looking for in trade in Bartertown.
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:30 pm

OK, I will make the post to Bartertown when my membership gets fixed. Check Bartertown in a few days.
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 pm

BJMadden85 wrote:The above posters know what they are talking about. But if you are in need of a knife, I have a few never used to lightly used folders and fixed blades that are properly cared for. So depending on what exactly you are looking for, maybe I could just mail one to you for nothing, just take it off my hands. I have a brand new Cold Steel Bushman (SK5 steel), or my previous EDC folder: SOG Trident (AUS8 Steel), a never used SOG SEAL Pup (AUS8), a new SOG Fixation dagger (8CR13MOV, pretty cool actually), never used Gerber Big Rock (440A stainless). I have too much, I am looking to downsize...

For those in this thread, I will list these and more and what I'm looking for in trade in Bartertown.

Up to that last line I was thinking "Is this offer only open to the OP?" :lol:

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
wolverine_173 wrote:or this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-List ... 51298.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why when you can get a USA made Ontario and Ka-bars for around the same price. Even a Cold steel and SOGs prices are better. While it looks "interesting" that Chinese strider handle scales and exposed full tang looks real uncomfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh= ... 1382385727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh= ... 1382385840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To be fair, ka-bars are almost universally made with (by modern standards) crap steel. The only reason to buy one is tradition. They've got plenty of leaf springs in China so I know they have tons of 1095 there too.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Other Weapons”