If you could only have one
Kukri for $20-30 48%  48%  [ 26 ]
SP8 for $50 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
SPAX for $70 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Woodman's Pal for $80 28%  28%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 54
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:32 pm 

Hey everybody,

If you could have one, which would it be? I know people in the forum own these suckers, and I'm curious which one you guys would count on. The SP8 has a sawback and can be used as a prybar, the SPAX as a shovel and a kukri like blade, the kukri is dead simple and light, and the Woodman's pal is an odd combination of machete and wood stripper.

Price isn't the issue, but arguing why one is worth the extra cash makes a good argument.

If I've forgotten an alternative, you know the drill.

czechnology wrote:
Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!

tireiron wrote:
I would eat my own brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:00 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well I currently own an SP8 so I voted for it, but I plan on getting a Spax as soon as I can muster the extra discretionary funds. I'm not saying I would choose one over the other, however. I want both and that's it. By the way, I also own a kukri (also made by Ontario), so there. :D

Your boy's not an artist, he's a KILLER! Throw him in the back of your rented VW, drape him in 50 yard of multicam fabric, stick a rifle in his hands, and put him on Jeriah's team. They can talk art in between tactical reloads. - Dannus Maximus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:03 am 

G.I. Jarhead wrote:
Well I currently own an SP8 so I voted for it, but I plan on getting a Spax as soon as I can muster the extra discretionary funds. I'm not saying I would choose one over the other, however. I want both and that's it. By the way, I also own a kukri (also made by Ontario), so there. :D

That's really valuable. Few questions?

You voted for the SP8 for a reason, why? Pry bar ability? Saw blade? does the same thing as a kukri except delicate work?

czechnology wrote:
Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!

tireiron wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Here are my reasons for the SP8:

1. Thick and wide enough to use as a prying device.
2. Heavy enough for serious chopping work on wood or similar materials(or as a meat cleaver for dressing game).
3. The flat side can be used as a makeshift hammer.
4. Saw back.
5. In a pinch it could also make an adequate digging tool due to the flat, squared blade.
6. The flat, but sharpened tip is also good for scraping or gouging work.
7. It costs less than the Spax (even wholesale which is how I get them).

Keep in mind that I have yet to test all these possiblities with my SP8, but fully intend to get maximum use from this particular tool. I also look on it as more of a tool than a weapon, though I'm sure it would be formidable in a fight. I view my kukri as more of a weapon than the SP8 and the Spax to me will simply be a more versatile alternative to a tomahawk (once I actually purchase it).

Your boy's not an artist, he's a KILLER! Throw him in the back of your rented VW, drape him in 50 yard of multicam fabric, stick a rifle in his hands, and put him on Jeriah's team. They can talk art in between tactical reloads. - Dannus Maximus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:32 am 

*Gives pics for those who, like myself, don't know all of these yet.*
That being posted, I think I might rather have just a normal knife and a hatchet. The SPAX looks really cool, but I doubt if it's really good at anything. The woodmans pall is probably a great hacking and cutting tool, but very heavy too, and therefor not too suitable for more delicate work like, let's say, cooking a meal or sharpening a spear. The SP8 looks like a very durable knife, but it lacks a point, which gives it more chopping power for its lenght, but which gives you a less versatile tool, instead of a more versatile one, makes it less suitable for things like skinning an animal and, depending on your style of wielding, self defense. The sawback on it is one improvement I can see the use of, it does partly compensate. The kukri is a proven design, it's been in use as a multitool and weapon for a long time. It doesn't have a lot of fancy improvements like the other tools, but therefor it also doesn't have a lot of "weaknesses". Out of these, I'dd take the kukri, or, second place, the SP8. But I think I would really just prefer a big knife (perhaps one with a partly serrated blade/saw on the back) and a hatchet. I'dd have to carry two tools instead of one, but I'dd have good tools I can use.

I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:58 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've always liked the SP8, but I already carry a cold steel kukri, so there you have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:06 am 

I only have experience with the kukri, but it does well enough for me that

I've never really considered buying any of the others. But it all depends

on everyone's own taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 am 

You can get a kukhri for $20-30?? If thats for reals, I'd think that'd be your best bang for your buck. But I'm not sure what you're talking about a khukri being light, in my experience they've been pretty damn heavy for a knife, cause the blade is so thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 am 

Squirrley wrote:
You can get a kukhri for $20-30?? If thats for reals, I'd think that'd be your best bang for your buck. But I'm not sure what you're talking about a khukri being light, in my experience they've been pretty damn heavy for a knife, cause the blade is so thick.

Well it's smaller than a woodman's or an sp8, eh?

Which one you own Squirr?

czechnology wrote:

tireiron wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:14 am 

The SPAX is a "crash axe". That is, it's designed for extrication- busting through wallboard or even hacking through the aluminum skin of a an aircraft or automobile. That's why the cutting edge extends on the bottom all the way back to the handle. You chop, then drag or jerk the blade downwards to tear material as you pull the blade free for another chop.

The pentagonal hole in the blade is a hydrant wrench, for turning on/ opening fire hydrants. The other little notch is a natural gas valve shut off tool.

Have no idea how good they are for cutting or limbing trees or small camp chores.

We have a few crash axes around the department made TOPS but the same ideas apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:23 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have an Ebay kukri that I got for $20, that looks much like th eone pictured above, and once I put an edge on it, it works quite nicely for chopping and hacking...

I also have an SP-8, which has a much more comfortable grip, came with a very nice edge on it, feels more "solid" to me, and that I feel chops and hack a bit better than my kukri...ymmv

nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:37 pm 

canuck wrote:
Squirrley wrote:

Well it's smaller than a woodman's or an sp8, eh?

Which one you own Squirr?

I have a kukri. No woodman's pal or sp8. And I'd imagine they'd be about the same size, and a kukri has a pretty damn thick blade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:06 am 

You guys are slanting my way in the direction of the SP8. Although the Kukri is good for woodsy stuff, I'll be using this for the woods and prying shit open. I guess that knocked the woodman's pal out early on. The more comfortable grip was the icing on the cake...

Thanks for the educated info on the SPAX -crash axe ness. That really does make a whole bunch of sense, but doesn't necessarily cater for what I'm lookin for. Worse comes to worse I think I could use my glass breaker and LMF II to do the same job (or so I hope)

SP8 it is.

czechnology wrote:

tireiron wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 am 

I have a 20 dollar kukri that I'm very disappointed in--it came from Nepal, like all the good ones should--but either the heat treat is spotty or the steel sucks because it deforms easily while chopping softwood.

I'm not talking edge rolling--edge rolling is ok, but this thing blows chunks out of its edge if you look at it wrong.

I voted SP8, its made of 1095 which is respectable enough to keep a decent edge, and it retains enough mass to hack at limbs and down small trees (with patience). I doubt it would make a good machete though, being as heavy as it is, you'd be hard press to get it moving fast enough to clear brush.

All depends on what you want to use it for..

The woodsman's pal however, seems as though it would clear brush like no other, but again, since its light enough to clear brush, de-limbing trees and chopping wood ability is likely to suffer..

AP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:43 pm 

I'm from the big knife/machete school of thought. So I go with the SP-8, I've had mine a number of years and it's done right by me. Ontario also has a heavy duty .125 thick machete with a 12 inch blade you might want to consider. The RTAK is another good chopping blade from them. I used the RAT-7 for a few months but sold it since I felt it was too light for a chopper and too large for most of my knife chores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 pm 

SavageArcher wrote:
I'm from the big knife/machete school of thought. So I go with the SP-8, I've had mine a number of years and it's done right by me. Ontario also has a heavy duty .125 thick machete with a 12 inch blade you might want to consider. The RTAK is another good chopping blade from them. I used the RAT-7 for a few months but sold it since I felt it was too light for a chopper and too large for most of my knife chores.

Good to hear she works as a chopper. Not surprised about the RAT7.

Ever used the SP8 for prying? has anyone taken this thing to a door?

czechnology wrote:

tireiron wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:19 pm 

Hi guys,

Well, if you don't mind a little input from a FNG to the group, I have everything listed but the SPAX. I've had the SP8 for about 3 years, the woodsmans pal (standard, leather handle) for 5, and 8 Kuks: 6 from Nepal ranging from 8" to a custom designed 16", one of the Cold Steel "bolo" kuks, and one from Smith & Wesson for 16 years in total. If I had to pick one... it would be a 12" Kuk from Nepal that I have. Thick, heavy forward balance, not too long, and lateral scalops along the blade length so things don't seem to "stick" to the blade as easily. It has a good working point, and I can hold the blade spine near the tip and the handle and use the whole thing as a draw-knife to do fine shaving type work. The other advantage of course with Kukris are they come with a burnishing tool and a small utility knife. I know they say you can sharpen with the burnishing tool, but it's best used to take burs and edge irregularities out between honing or sharpening. The blade shape of the 12" Kuk that I like is refered to as a Angkhola style, which is broader at the head than other regional styles. If you are ever looking to get a Kuk, look for something called a Panawal handle. It is a full tang handle, unlike allot of their handles, and originally from the Panawal region. It's also cross pinned. Very strong, never gets lose whether it's dry or wet. I also recommend lightly sanding off the high polish usually put on the handles for better grip. As for the other Kuks, I don't rate them in the same class at all as the Nepalese ones. The Cold Steel one is decent, though it chips and the point is completely rounded away from touching it up. It's still sharp on it's edge, just not much of a point to it. More time on the grinding wheel than I'm interested in with it. The Smith and Wesson was very disappointing. With the exception of the custom designed one, all of the ones from Nepal were equal price or less than the brand name ones. The custom was still under $100 US. Shipping to Canada took 5 days. Each are hand made too.

Sorry for the rant, I am a bit of a convert...

Second choice would be the SP8. It has a certain "bashability" to it, and the chiseling option is nice with the end. I did tame down the bottom curl of the grip to more of a nub. I found it was in the way of some grip positions, or at least made them awkward. The saw back works well, but does not self clean in green sappy wood very well, especially soft wood. It does cut, and make nice clean notches though for bushcraft that just can't be done as clean shouldered or quickly with any other tool I've tried short of a folding pruning saw, or a leatherman saw. It can also be used as a splitting wedge rather than an axe or hatchet by placing it on a piece of wood, and striking the top of it with another pice. Not as efficient as something substantial enough to chop with (I'm speaking of Birch, Maple, etc.), but can do in a pinch so long as your log length isn't too long. That would require another tool to block your logs to a reasonable length though. I will say that in an overhead stabbinb motion, blade-edge out, it does have more puncturing ability than I would have given it credit for. Just be aware that it will tend to want to follow the spine, rather than your angle of strike if the 2 are not in line. It can also be used for prying, but it's length is a limiting factor on how much prying you can really do. Then again, so long as you don't start adding pipes etc. to lengthen the handle, you won't hurt the SP8 by prying with it either.

Last would be the woodsmans pal. I took it on one camping trip and soon left it in the canoe. It does a few of the tasks reasonably well. Nothing great, and don't attack hardwood for any length of time with it. The blade edge just won't hold. It is completely designed for swinging, and does so comfortably. Don't ask for more or get creative with it. It doesn't like it, and you will become frustrated.

The SPAX would be an ideal tool to keep in a bug-out bag. It has a definite urban lean to it as a tool. Maybe even something to keep in your vehicle, but it is too short and too light to be a useful hatchet, plus the head is too narrow. It wasn't designed to do what most people envision it to, which is some sort of do-all survival tool. Though it would be to an air crew or as an egress tool for an emergency worker. It does have it's general uses, but it's limits. Think of it along the lines of a mini halligan tool or other egress tool, and it is now more in the right family than it is with the other knives and tools listed here. I'd consider this to be the orange among the apples compared here.

OK, well, that's my 2 cents worth. I guess I would definitely go with a kuk, but make sure you get the length, shape and weight that best suits you. I think that is the key, and also the nice option that aside from the woodsmans pal (2 sizes, 2 handle options, + and "extra long"), none of the others offer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:29 pm 

I agree that there is no one blade for everything. I have a Ontario TAK that is probably my favorite carry knife when "in the !@#$" type situations but do own a SPAX and a couple of kukri style blades.

I've had my SPAX for a couple of years but first used it this weekend camping. It cut through saplings (I'm always on the lookout for the perfect walking stick) like butter! I was amazed at how deeply it sunk into live wood; I didn't try it on dry wood. Something about the blade shape just drove it into the wood without any handle vibration and no obvious damage to the blade. I too pictured it as a urban tool but have to admit it worked great for limbing and chopping down saplings. I wouldn't use it to chop logs in half for a fire but I'm sure it would do it. I like it and found it easy to carry on the belt in the manufacturer provided sheath.

ultimately, no knife will be an axe and so on. Decide which few tools will cover the full range of what you need to do and find a convenient way to carry them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:47 am 

Kukri for sure. They're bad f-ing ass. I've got one and I love it. Handy tool. I could take the whole head off a zombie fairly easily with it.

Hey, just started a new blog. Updates 3 times a week. I'd love feedback. Plus it should be pretty entertaining.
http://superboxsix.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:30 am 

If I had to pick one of the above and had no other choice, I'd take a kukri (sp?).

If I did have a choice, I'd stick with my Mora knife and Estwing hatchet.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:24 am 

Feel the urge for a small hijacking, any comments on SP14 versus SP8? Same length and handle but different blade? (I think SP14 look so much cooler :roll: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:33 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If you're chopping down trees, splitting firewood, or doing anything else that involves turning big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood, get yourself a real axe or hatchet. I have a Gerber Sport Axe and it splits kindling like nobody's business. The Woodman's Pal, which I also own, was decidedly inferior at this task. It could be done, but it was frustrating, involved a lot more baton work.

If you're cleaning game, making spears, whittling, cutting soft materials, etc., get yourself a normal, fixed blade knife. I have a Cold Steel SRK and it's ideal; a Ka-Bar is good, too.

Ask Mr. Right Wing what Khukris are good for; I hear they're good at everything and he swears by them, but the only one I own is a piece of tourist shit and doesn't really do much well.

The Woodman's Pal is probably best suited to clearing brush. It can chop through small branches way better than a machete, and can tackle light brush in a way a hatchet cannot. You CAN split wood, carve spears, etc., with it, but there are better tools for those jobs.

I have no experience with the SPAX or the SP8, but typically my experiece has been that tools that try to do too many jobs well, end up doing all of them badly.

Exception: the Leatherman Wave can do many, many tasks very well. But you can't chop with it, nor should you use it as a hammer. So, multitool + hatchet?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:13 pm 

I went with an Ontario SP-5 for just under $50 (shipped off the Ebay). For the poll I picked the SP-8 'cuz it was closest.

Funny thing was, as soon as I bid on it I couldn't really think WHY I did it. It's cool I guess. Sort of like an SP-8 you can stabby with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:14 pm 

I'm gonna be the outcast and side with the Woodman's Pal. Everyone has rightly pointed out the each of these, including the Woodman's Pal, has their strengths and weaknesses. So none are exactly a miracle omni-use tool by any stretch of the imagination. Jeriah hit the nail on the head in his review of the Woodsman's Pal... both the good and the bad. But one thing is for sure, it is built like a damned rock. I can easily see mine being passed down through multiple generations even with heavy use. And there just so many things the darn thing can do, even if it doesn't do it perfectly. For example, I have used mine to successfully dig very shallow holes with only mild frustration setting in. Would an E-Tool be better for this? No doubt. But I don't own an E-Tool (yet) and so the Pal has to make do... and it does. Is it a fighting blade? Absolutely not. But I'll admit that if someone threatened me with one I would: 1. shit my pants 2. run the other direction 3. scream like the pansy I am. Because anyone who has ever held a Woodman's Pal knows that it is a mean looking son of a bitch that can do some serious damage. It'd cut off a zed arm like nothing...

Being 100% Made in the USA is cool too. Nice to know we can still make some shit better than anyone else.

"A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on BOBs