Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/valley-center/valley-center-elite-running-family-attacked-by-dogs/article_9e954f6b-e06d-529b-a864-bc5fed7885b9.html

Last weeks local dog attack... These two kids are still hospitalized... Not a place to be. I tend to be the stick carrier when I travel where dogs are loose. When I rode bikes a lot more than now, I always carried a squirt gun full of white vinegar. It's actually very effective. Couple shots in the face and the dog instantly loses interest in you... And it's not permanent like say... Ammonia in a squirt gun...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 pm 

fourway wrote:
jamoni wrote:
I think the point of the knife is to have something better than harsh language once things go to the mat.
My point was that if you go to the mat with a vicious dog (especially a vicious pack of dogs) you have fucked up very badly.
Naturally you should be carrying a knife, everybody should be carrying a knife.
Carrying a knife *because* you might be in a grapple with a vicious pack of feral dogs is a flawed concept.
The vast majority of people are going to forget which end of a knife you are supposed to hold, what a knife is for, that they even have a knife once they are set upon by feral dogs. Fixed action pattern almost as basic and primal as drowning reaction, you curl up in a ball and try to cover your neck and face.
All the joy of experiencing the ancient human genetic memory of being killed by canines can be neatly avoided by not letting them get close to you.

This is why I suggested the tomahawk. "Going to the mat" suggests you've already been hamstrung, and you're about as fucked as most deer once the pack has them down. Don't stop moving, and don't run away. Growl, sound mean, and give the most aggressive/closest beasty a solid 'love tap' to the snout with the side or top of the hawk as you run the fuck through or past them. Show them you're the boss, show them utter contempt, and quickly dispatch any that dispute your dominance.

I know this sounds mean, and it requires a bit of mental prep that some more civilized people will frown upon, but this is a pack of predatory wild animals with no fear of man that your idiot neighbors are feeding. They have essentially placed these dogs above them by paying tribute, like some serf. They think they have every right to chew on the locals who won't pay up, and they do, until you remind them who's on top of the food chain, and why.

I admit this is 'less civilized' behavior than I prefer, but civilized people just shoot nuisance dogs like this, and shouldn't be penalized for it.

It's called "doing your part," just like spanking kids that need it, and society is built upon the notion.

Brawling with wild dogs may not be civilized, but getting victimized/injured/killed by them is uncivilized and dumb.

Kill them quickly and mercifully, and move on with your day knowing you've done some good.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:44 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

fourway wrote:
jamoni wrote:
I think the point of the knife is to have something better than harsh language once things go to the mat.

My point was that if you go to the mat with a vicious dog (especially a vicious pack of dogs) you have fucked up very badly.
Carrying a knife *because* you might be in a grapple with a vicious pack of feral dogs is a flawed concept.
The vast majority of people are going to forget which end of a knife you are supposed to hold, what a knife is for, that they even have a knife once they are set upon by feral dogs. Fixed action pattern almost as basic and primal as drowning reaction, you curl up in a ball and try to cover your neck and face.
All the joy of experiencing the ancient human genetic memory of being killed by canines can be neatly avoided by not letting them get close to you.

Instead of quoting me out of context, look at the context. That's what it's for. You could argue that the best way to avoid a dog attack is to never leave the house. We aren't discussing best case scenarios where everything goes right. Those are actually pretty easy to deal with. We are discussing how to handle it when things go wrong, and the best way to do that is to have a defense in depth:
1. Awareness: Be aware of the threat
2. Avoidance: Avoid the threat
3. Project strength: Show the threat you are not a pushover
4. Deal with the threat at a distance: guns or pepper spray
5. Deal with the threat up close: knives or bare hands

All I said was, (and here's the important part, so pay attention) IF ALL OF YOUR OTHER LEVELS OF DEFENSE HAVE FAILED, THEN IT'S KIND OF FUCKING NICE TO HAVE A KNIFE.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 pm 

WY_Not wrote:
Kinda. The Kimber PepperBlasters are an example I was thinking of.

Jeriah wrote:
WY_Not wrote:
Perhaps also try some of the pepper spray in a stream form rather than the mist?

By "stream" are you referring to pepper foam? There is also something called pepper gel. SABER makes them both, I think Cold Steel's Inferno is a foam, and I've also heard good stuff about Fox.

How would the locals feel about your using a bow + arrow, or a slingshot, to scare away or kill the dogs?

cold steel spray is a foam, but it turns to liquid on contact so that an attacker can't just wipe it off. there are some demostrations of it on youtube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

nowadays, i just take my dog when i go running. she tends to scare off the biters. i still carry the pepperspray, because i don't want her to get into a tussle on my account.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm 

I live in a rural area where the dogs tend to run wild. I ride a bike for excercise and have frequent run-ins. Don't count on pepper spray. I have had some dogs that are not even phased by it.

My 9mm is easily accesible now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 pm 

jamoni wrote:
fourway wrote:
jamoni wrote:
The vast majority of people are going to forget which end of a knife you are supposed to hold, what a knife is for, that they even have a knife once they are set upon by feral dogs... All the joy of experiencing the ancient human genetic memory of being killed by canines can be neatly avoided by not letting them get close to you.

All I said was, (and here's the important part, so pay attention) IF ALL OF YOUR OTHER LEVELS OF DEFENSE HAVE FAILED, THEN IT'S KIND OF FUCKING NICE TO HAVE A KNIFE.

It is always nice to have a knife. No one carries a knife *just because* it might come in handy in a fight for your life, usually it's for minor things like cutting 550 cord, opening MRE's, cutting up the kids' chicken nuggets, prying stuff open, whatever. Of course, it flies out of my pocket in a flash for those things, so I've no doubt it will be at hand in times of duress. As it is, any time the hairs on the back of my neck start going up, my hand starts feeling for whatever my primary weapon is at the moment, which is usually my knife.

Of course, I don't muck about where packs of dogs do, or I'd open carry a lot more!

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:48 am 

jamoni wrote:
fourway wrote:
jamoni wrote:

Instead of quoting me out of context, look at the context. That's what it's for. You could argue that the best way to avoid a dog attack is to never leave the house. We aren't discussing best case scenarios where everything goes right. Those are actually pretty easy to deal with. We are discussing how to handle it when things go wrong, and the best way to do that is to have a defense in depth:
1. Awareness: Be aware of the threat
2. Avoidance: Avoid the threat
3. Project strength: Show the threat you are not a pushover
4. Deal with the threat at a distance: guns or pepper spray
5. Deal with the threat up close: knives or bare hands

Didn't mean to be appearing to take you out of context.
You left out *stick*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 pm 

i used to teach an mma class. one day, just for kicks i used a training knife and asked the members of the class to attack me. needless to say, using no skill at all, just stabbing and slashing.....nobody could really lay a hand on me. if they did, it was a fatal mistake.

i've seen some martial arts that deal with disarming an attacker with a knife. i wouldn't put any stock in those fancy moves. the ones that i've seen actually work are the bare bones moves that just try to grab ahold of the knife hand. actually, i believe mma fighter jon fitch has a video on his website where he demonstrates. it's not pretty at all...it's just survival.

regardless, if you've got a good knife in a fight. it's an excellent weapon and very easy to use.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:44 pm 

Anything under 50 lbs can be handled with a swift foot and a soft underbelly. I had a mutt attack me as a kid, I was half my current size and I must have broke it's ribs and caused internal damage because it was dead the next day. Over 50lbs and you're in a fight for your life - Belgian Malinois (military and police dogs) are around 65-80 lbs and can really fuck you up. You'll need something to put that dog down.

DO YOU CARRY FIRE? http://forum.CARRYFIRE.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:55 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Kutter, I agree with everything you said. Spot on.
Fourway, sorry I lost my cool. I just didn't want it to sound like I was advocating dog-rasslin' as an ideal option. As for the stick, I don't usually have a stick on me, unless hiking, but I ALWAYS have a knife. Like Kutter, mine spends a lot of time jumping in and out of my hand, so I'm fairly sure I could index it and use it under stress. Also, I've done so, so there's that.
HKTackdriver, most healthy adults could handle a dog about 1/2 their weight, with minor injuries. The real issue isn't heavy dogs, it's multiple dogs. Packing up and killing things bigger than themselves is what dogs do.
So, yeah, avoidance. :)

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.