The Day of EDC Victory

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Re: The Day of EDC Victory

Post by Smü » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 am

Kids birthday party with BBQ later. Host didn't have enough flatware and instead of becoming desperate using tha plastic knifes, my EDC-knife did well.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Work in an medical office as the only guy. One of the receptionists is complaining about a hair in her chin that she cant get ahold of. And we're not allowed to open the sterile packages of tweezers. Out comes my SA Rescue Knife with those awesome little tweezers. Minute later the chin hair is gone and all is right in the receptionist's world again.
I don't care what you think of me. Unless you think I am awesome. In which case, you are right.

greenear123
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28DL, Sean of the Dead, Sean the Sheep?

Post by greenear123 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 am

Mother in law took my wife and I to lunch at Golden Coral this afternoon. By the end of the meal we had several different items laying on the table (slow staff today) including a cotton candy cone, an uneaten roll, straws, bamboo skewers and shrimp tails. I had a bout of "creative" and used my Gerber Camp Knife out of my EDC bag to slice, cut, sharpen and whittle and built a clowns head out of the roll with pink cotton candy hair and a cone hat with candy for the eyes and nose and a straw blow gun with several skewer darts that I sharpened and trimmed down, using shrimp tail scales for the fletching. Put a dart right between the clowns beady little eyes from two tables away before the Boss Lady put a stop to it. Yes the joint was nearly empty. Yes, the BL is a red head and fearsome and no, she can not take me any ware. But, boredom was averted and proof of found object blowgun concept was ... proofed. So EDC Victory. :awesome:

Interlude
Boss Lady,"Why are you using the BFK from your bag?"
Greenear,"If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."
Shortly thereafter Greenear received a HVJB (High Velocity Jelly Bean) to the forehead. Those suckers hurt!

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 am

This just happened not 5 minutes ago:

Going through the parking garage of my apartment complex, I see an elderly woman with a cane looking pretty distressed. I ask her what's up, and she tells me she's locked out of her apartment and the Locksmith wants to charge her $65.

I tell her I can get her in. 10 seconds with the Bogota lock picks in my wallet, and she's inside. She thanked me profusely, said I was a very nice boy, and gave me a bottle of wine as thanks.

Saved an old lady $65, got a bottle of wine, and got to use some of my favorite toys. Another day of EDC Victory :mrgreen:
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am

Mine is a bag of win every time I get heartburn...Tums inside :)

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 pm

necro post, ARRISE THREAD ARRISE AND SHAMBLE AGAIN

I used my wave the other day to prop a door open
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Nice necro...

I was helping my in-laws put up their Christmas lights the other day. My father-in-law had bought new light strings because the old ones were getting flaky. Problem is, he came up one string short. We re-used one of the old ones, but this meant we had to connect a plug that was polarized (one blade wider than the other) into a socket that was not. Bummer.

I whipped out the file on my Leatherman and all was well. My wife's still waiting for their house to burn down now, though. I don't think she trusts me... :?

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 pm

spyderco monkey wrote:This just happened not 5 minutes ago:

Going through the parking garage of my apartment complex, I see an elderly woman with a cane looking pretty distressed. I ask her what's up, and she tells me she's locked out of her apartment and the Locksmith wants to charge her $65.

I tell her I can get her in. 10 seconds with the Bogota lock picks in my wallet, and she's inside. She thanked me profusely, said I was a very nice boy, and gave me a bottle of wine as thanks.

Saved an old lady $65, got a bottle of wine, and got to use some of my favorite toys. Another day of EDC Victory :mrgreen:

There is no way this is true, no one but criminals carry lock picks

Another fan of the Bogotas :clap: I have a new set after my father stole mine after a demonstration :lol: He had carried around a Rake for years and was amazed by the BOGO design.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 pm

I work in a walk-in clinic. Nurse Practioner was cutting on a guys thumb looking for a broken off cactus spine. It had gone thru his thumb nail and was supposedly lodged in the thumb now. We dont have the best lighting in the room so when she asked for a better light source I pulled out my new Fenix E11. Found the cactus spine real quick after that and once again all is well in my clinic.
I don't care what you think of me. Unless you think I am awesome. In which case, you are right.

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I bought an extra Maglite XL50 for work. I'm doing a project where I'm working with an unusually large number of my coworkers in a small area. They're used to old 2 D-cell lights. All of them are amazed by it and keep "needing" it for other things. The guy I work with regularly bought his own the day after I got mine.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:51 pm

My math professor cut his thumb open today before class. he told me has heading upstairs to get a bandge. i told him i had one already, he was thankful and a little puzzled and askd if i was a boy scout or one of those prepper types...i just said its better to have it then not need it.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 pm

I ran into a buddy of mine standing in line at the theaters. He asked me,

"Hey man do you have like a knife, or a small pair pliers or tweezers or something on you?"

"Yes, yes and yes. Which do you need, and what do need to use it for?"

"I got a hangnail on my thumb I wanna trim back."

"So you need nail clippers then? I have those too."

"Of course you fucking do, youre YOU. I don't know why I didn't just asked that from the start."
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

loki_
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1978 Dawn of the Dead

Post by loki_ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm

i love when people question why you are carrying something after you use that item to help them :awesome:

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 am

Last week I went boar hunting. We finally saw one in a field about 700 yards out super long ways out, but wanted to check the wind to see if it was in our favor to move up. Since it was midnight, throwing a little dirt in the air wouldn't work, so out came my Zippo! We were able to find the wind direction and sneak up on that 300lb beast, saving the local peanut farmer from unneeded crop destruction. 8-)
Last edited by Brotherbadger on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm

700 yards at midnight?
barring more details I raise my eyebrow to that

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:31 am

Rebel Pariah wrote:700 yards at midnight?
barring more details I raise my eyebrow to that
700 is probably extremely inaccurate, but it sounded much better than "Super long ways away". :lol: We were using 3rd Gen Night vision(IIRC), with infrared lights. Probably closer to 400, but sneaking around that field for an hour, it felt like 700.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 am

Nightvision and 400ish, eyebrow lowered

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:Nightvision and 400ish, eyebrow lowered
*pout* Stupid Americans and their stupid non-exportable to Canada awesome Gen III Nightvision.

Sounds like fun!
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

I work in Dearborn michigan, (look up the immigration stats)

I get customers in trying to buy night-vision and send it overseas to the middle east,
My favorite was because the womans father had trouble seeing at night, :roll:

... "I suggest a decent flashlight that costs like 30$ , instead of 800-3000$ nightvision... which we don't sell anyways ma'am, and if we did that would be a MAJOR felony which I will have no part of"

this is why its illegal to export night vision

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm

So the other day went out after some good rains to walk about for some quail and get some mud time in and make it interesting in my friends 2wd 1980 ford courier... bob and asst gear always go with and we were off... no birds to be found so we take the long way back to the house through a VERY unmaintained road, hilarity ensues.
1. going through a large puddle rather 'briskly' the boot around the shifter is blown off from the water pressure and shoots a column of water in the cab of the truck, startled us but all laughs...
2. V-ditch ahead and he goes to back up to take one side or the other, stalls it and batt is flat and alt is weak(of course)... push it back up the slope and get it roll started. He takes the right side which is slightly more technical and yay street tires we get stuck(its a little muddy). Hi lift comes out and we get it out.
3. Before we get back underway(its pretty dark at this point) I get my TLR-1s out of my BOB and hold it on the roof since it is waaaaay better output than the headlights! WIN!!!
4. Small puddles ahead and we need to get back to the house due to the poor headlights so we are cooking along and one of the puddles is a hole or ditch of some sort and... since I was holding the light and reveling in my inventive use of my gear I didnt use my seat belt and bashed my head on the roof lol saw stars for a sec but didnt drop my light...

Anyhow good times and yay for EDC TLR-1s!!!!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:58 pm

This past Thursday I ahd a fail/win. About five of my co-workers asked me if I had my SAK on me. I usually cary in my purse but have been carrying it quit a bit in my pants pocket. I wnet back upstairs to my desk to find I didn't have my SAK at all. FAIL. BAD. But I did have my benchmade! Not sure if they needed to cut or open a can I brought it down anyway. Well a coworker had forgotten to bring his can opener and his soup can wasn't a pop top. So I learned how to use my benchmade in a pinch to open a can and he didn't starve - double win. Though my benchmade survived without much damage next time I remember think to pull out the P38 so my benchmade can avoid metal!

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 pm

At the family Christmas Party, someone used packing tape instead of scotch tape to close up a present box. My sister in law got the paper off but couldn't get the box open. Out came the pocket knife and viola!
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

kika21

Post by kika21 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Just the other day, I was working out at the gym and the whole building lost power. And I learned one thing: You know those emergency lights mounted on the walls and charging all the time and are supposed to come on when there is a power outage? Well, DO NOT depend on those! Not one of those so-called emergency lights worked, and the one that tried to come on, sputtered, and then went out after a few seconds. Fortunately, I was able to use my flashlight app on my cell phone and use the flash as a flashlight until I made it up to the second floor locker room and get to my EDC flashlight (Fenix LD20), get dressed, and leave the building. It was complete and total darkness, and only the gym staff and of course myself, had flashlights, allowing people to get dressed and leave the building. More than a few people mentioned to me "Good thing you have a flashlight".

I really don't know how often these emergency lights that you see in many public buildings are maintained. I think they just mount them and forget about them. Then when the power really does go out, they don't work.

Catshooter

Post by Catshooter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:30 pm

As an industrial/commercial electrician with 34 years in the trade I am here to tell you that it is extremly rare for any company to service their emergancy egress lighting. They most often contain battieries, and as we all know batteries have shelf lifes.

Don't count on them.

Cat

Return to “Survival Experiences”