The Official ZS DEBTSQUAD: BODY COUNT thread.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheQuietOne

Re: The Official ZS DEBTSQUAD: BODY COUNT thread.

Post by TheQuietOne » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:24 pm

This is such an awesome thread I just have to post in it. :D

The Vehicle Repair Zombies have been beating me up for the last few months, which has left me dizzy but not yet down for the count. The tide should be turning soon.

Once they are on the mat, I'm going turn my full attention to the big Credit Card Zombie. Most of my tax refund check as well as the leftover money from my Pell Grants will be going to that. (For the next few years.....) It's going to take a lot of ammo to kill, so I'm getting ready to sell some stuff I don't need anymore to help.

I have another small Loan Zombie that is tagging along at my heels, but it's under control. I'm not too worried about that one.
Napalm{WmD} wrote:The longer something is designed to stay edible the less likely you are to want to eat it.

Stealth
Favorite Zombie Movies: Don't watch'em, they are misleading.

Post by Stealth » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:44 pm

I just got my second kredit zombie kill a few days ago. My unit is deploying so i had to take that fucker out with prejudice. It was a small one (approx 2700 worth of zombie) but a great kill non the less. Took it out with a IED (Incometax earned dollars) blast.

I still have the suzuki piece going, but i refused to drop another 4xxx worth of Z bills right now so i'll just keep cuttng away at it month by month till its dead. I got Autopay on that so it will be exterminated when i come back later this year.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 am

SkullGirl wrote: I DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS FOR ANYTHING! If I do not have the money in the bank or cash on hand, I do not buy it. I am slowly learning how to be more frugal and how to find other means of getting things I need (legally of course) without using CC or borrowing.
There are some things you just can't do without a credit card (or the use of someone else's credit card), like make hotel reservations in another city over the phone, schedule some travel arrangements, or (in my wife's case) secure a seat to take a test for a correspndence course.

It won't hurt you just to have one. You've just got to have the self control not to run yourself up-to-your-eyeballs in debt with it. I subscribe to the "If I don't have the money it doesn't get bought" theory as well. I don't care if it's ammo, a new scope, or one of my wife's tests- if we don't have the money for it, we aren't doing it.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Welp, the debt-zombies clambored over my defences and have claimed me once again. Back into the red for a while.

Still, come tax time I should be able to clear the picquet lines, but until then I'm snowed under.

Weddings and honeymoons are expensive beasties.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:32 am

I've had about $3000 in credit card debt lingering from my divorce awhile back. I'm down to about $400 and that'll be paid off in the next month. Now to go to town on the car loan zombies.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

yale

Post by yale » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 am

The mission had looked simple when we deployed our forces so long ago. We knew the enemy and had set up regular ammo resupplies (paychecks) to kick them down.
Our biggest threat was from the Visa Credit Forces (VCF) which had been allowed to grow unchecked for too long. We sent out massed forces regularly against the VCF and they started suffering from our concentrated fire.
Just as we were making progress we were flanked by the stealthy and unforseen allies of the VCF know as the Veterinarian Bill Militia (VBM). The VBM, like Vet Cong irregulars, drew our fire from the VCF and we split our forces and returned fire as best we could. Soon the VCF and VBM joined their forces. We were holding our own against the combined VCF and VBM onslaught when we were blindsided by the Uninsured Motorest Kamakazi which took a heavy toll on our transportation divison. We had to restructure and were forced to defend our selves from a small homegrown element of the Car Loan Mafia (CLM).
Fighting in someone's back yard was bad enough but when the CLM hit us in our homeland we had to act swiftly. We were faced with an almost impossible situation. Public opinion insisted on our quick and decisive action against the CLM but we were stretched thin and resupplies had also been cut due to a change in administration (employement).
With less supplies and more enemies than we had ever fought we were getting desperate. We needed a win. We had been barely holding our own for too long. The VCF/VBM was large and it's new recruits (charges and interest) were replacing nearly half the troops we were killing each month. We just didn't have the resorces to do much more damage to them.
The month of Febuary brought good news and bad. The CLM was decimated. Down to just a small payoff payment they would soon fall. Morale was high and it finally looked like we could get a break.
Then we turned on the news and realized that we were still not out of the woods yet. There on the screen was the latest bombing by the radical group known as the Hospital Bill Revolutionary Front (HBRF). We were tired, dirty and funding and supplies were tight. Too tight.
We couldn't go against the HBRF with our heavy weapons. They were holding the VCF/VBM at bay and were committed to that battle. It was decided to used small unit tactics against the HBRF. We called up a small crack commando team to deal with them. We weren't sure how the commandos would work against this new terror so we decided to use them first on the reminants of the CLM.
The CLM raid was swift and deadly. The commandos went in, cut the head off the snake and walked away with the car title in hand. When word reached the media, and eventually the public, morale soared. We had won a small victory but one which was long in coming.
The commandos could now turn their attention on the HBRF and begin clearing them from our cities.
Meanwhile our forces in battle against the VCF/VBM were reenergised by our recent victory and the increase in the ammo supply didn't hurt either.
Today we are faced with multiple enemies. The CLM is gone but we still but fight here and over there to secure our homeland. The war will not be easy and it will not end soon but we are united and we will prevail.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Banka87

Post by Banka87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 pm

This is now %100 mine
JamesCannon wrote:So how much did you pay for those women?

I'm curious where to go to own some women, myself.

tim7585

Post by tim7585 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 pm

I just got a contingent job offer for $4.00 per hour better than I make now. I'm in my BOL surrounded by 7000+ starving student loan zombies ...in radio contact with my air support as I lase the target for a slew of danger close JDAMs to come slamming into the horde. I already took out that one huge fucker, the car loan zombie, with a booby trapped claymore rigged to detonate an old fuel air bomb that was left sitting in the Burmese jungle for no apparent reason. Rambo and I barely made it out of the blast radius. I was so sneaky about it that they were never able to film my part of it.
Go ahead ... make my day

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:58 am

TravisM.1 wrote:
SkullGirl wrote: I DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS FOR ANYTHING! If I do not have the money in the bank or cash on hand, I do not buy it. I am slowly learning how to be more frugal and how to find other means of getting things I need (legally of course) without using CC or borrowing.
There are some things you just can't do without a credit card (or the use of someone else's credit card), like make hotel reservations in another city over the phone, schedule some travel arrangements, or (in my wife's case) secure a seat to take a test for a correspndence course.

It won't hurt you just to have one. You've just got to have the self control not to run yourself up-to-your-eyeballs in debt with it. I subscribe to the "If I don't have the money it doesn't get bought" theory as well. I don't care if it's ammo, a new scope, or one of my wife's tests- if we don't have the money for it, we aren't doing it.
My husband kept his CC. He uses it for gas purchases only and pays it off each month. I chose not to keep mine. I understand some places require a CC to purchase or reserve things.
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 am

SkullGirl wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:

My husband kept his CC. He uses it for gas purchases only and pays it off each month. I chose not to keep mine. I understand some places require a CC to purchase or reserve things.
Don't misunderstand, I wasn't trying to talk down to you or put you down. I wsa just chucking in my .02.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Looking for a mortgage right now... I have two 'paid more than 30 days late' on my credit reports from over 5 years ago; Both instances were from times when I was in situ homeless, between a college dorm and living with my parents. Those two late payments hit my credit score pretty hard when I'm trying to shop around for a $200k loan. They'll be there for at least two years and possibly longer, and me and my fiancee are looking to buy a house in the next year.

What can I do about this? They are legit late payments but they came from circumstances beyond my control (statements were sent to addresses where I wasn't getting my mail anymore), and each time I found that I owed a late payment I paid it off immediately and in overabundance.

Anyone have a story about getting these types of things off your hard-pull?

Emberfox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by Emberfox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Status Report:

Thanks to some unforeseen expenses, the CC zombies are back. :(
I'm very disappointed as I had one of them down (for good, I thought)

Student Loan Zombies made a rush at the defenses recently as well as accidentally going below half-time student status made the 'in school deferment' electric fence go down.
A payment grenade kept them at bay while I quickly erected a 'forbearance' barbed wire fence while the electric one was in repair. Looks like the in-school deferment is back though, so they'll be at bay for awhile yet.

A Medical Bill Zombie surfaced under a new name: "Collections" - took that one out right away. 0.0;

Several other small Med Bill Zombies are off in the distance, though I've lost sight of some behind the Student Loan Zombie lines. Not too worried about those. Main focus is the CC Zombies and the Car Payment Zombie. Taking turns sending payment shots between all three.
-Emberfox

ozwyn

Post by ozwyn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 am

Tax refund, yearly bonus has allowed me to put a hit or three on the last remaining source of debt stress - this old 2nd mortagage/debt solidation stupidity.

On the bright side, I have it down nearly 25% in one year.

Its not about the smack talk, most people here can fill that role better than I can. Its about results: consistent, determined results, with no slowing down and no time for mercy.

Freedom from debt is the first line of defense against disaster - because it allows budget for preps, and the ability to rebuild afterwards without financial apocalypse.
CLEAR CUT wrote:I eat hot food because I dig pain and it's far cheaper than paying a dominatrix to kick me in the balls repeatedly.
Necrodamus wrote:Dont put yourself in a situation that is going to put you in a situation.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:16 pm

I only have one left! I just have one student loan left. And when I finish my military training I will get a bonus and pay off that one. Booyah
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Sold my old house today.

AH SAAAAAID......AH SOLD MY OLD HOUSE TODAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This young couple reminded me so much of my wife and I when we bought it 5 years ago. I hope they can afford it, and don't grow to hate it because it takes so much of their money. Oh well, at least they got the Monopoly Money Tax Credit while the getting was still good. Godspeed to the noobs. I'm up out of that place.

BODY COUNT thread needs more hyperbole and exclamation points, but the narratives are good. Long live the DEBTSQUAD!!!
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm

SITREP:

Car loan zombie: Pounding it with 155mm. Anti-Armor shells at regular intervals, it's at about 50%, expecting to bring it down within 1 year.

CC Zombie: Small, but damn annoying. looking to free some funds and bring down the rain on this fucker within 3-4months.

Then TSHF, the BOV broke down, wich attracted some emergency repair zombies.

I was certain all was doomed, the mechanic zombies can't find the problem. But of course I have to pay them for tearing my car apart even though they failed completely at their job.

At this point it's looking dark, no transport, no ammo to fight the zeds and I'm gonna have to ride a bike for the rest of my life when suddenly... mom decides to step in and act as a decoy, luring the zombies away from her only son. A heroic and desperate act as she doesn't run much faster than I do, or so I think... when suddenly she stops, turns around, stares the massive zombie horde in their rotting eyes and says: "Here son, you can borrow this until your ammo is restocked." Turns out she had a nice little backup stored away for occasions like this. BOOOM... all zombies defeated. The only problem now is that I owe my mom an orbital nuke. Hopefully she won't need it for a while.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm dealing with Debt Zeds here too. They have beat me down and beat me back but then, back to the wall, I slew the mightiest of them with help from friends. I have people that help me manage my money and I've learned to trust them with it and make do with my wants and preps from a newspaper route I have.

What happened? Grab a beer, warm yourself by the fire and let me tell you just exactly how the shit went down.

He was huge and I had never seen him before. I could see by the moonlight that he was no ordinary zed. At seven or 8 feet tall, massive, his best suit and briefcase in hand. I knew this one would get me. He was from the _____ State Department of Revenue. I did my best to run and hide but this beast just kept coming.

I got to my bug out location, my lawyer. He asked for intel and I told him what I knew, which wasn't much. This monster had rattled me badly but the worst was to come. He asked if I had seen his larger companion, the one who usually travels with him, the IRS. I hadn't and my blood ran cold, knowing my doom was at hand. Mr. G, my brother-in-arms, told me things would get worse but to stay strong and helped me lay out some defenses. Armed with some knowledge from an expert I did as I was told and returned to my home, bracing myself for the onslaught.

And what an onslaught it was. I would erect a defense, talk to my lawyer, and it would be countered, “We have no information of your friend. Has he sent form ____?” Faxes were sent, illuminating the dark night like tracer rounds, and then they finally turned away, seeking the prey known as legal council. My defense perimeter had held. At this point I was a wreck but with them gone I began pulling myself together.

Remember there’s no shame in cryin’ kid. You can’t let it get in the way of doin’ what needs doin’.

With motions and pleadings, using every trick he could, Mr. G whittled away at the zeds, both of them. He got the limbs as penalties were forgiven due to the circumstances surrounding my error which had unleashed these unholy terrors. My financial angel came to us when called and the three of us then unleashed our big guns, wiping these creatures from the landscape with a massive infusion of cash. My cash, carefully stockpiled against the future and burned through in just a moment due to past indiscretions.

Cash is king. Long live the king.

My finances took a body blow during this, being reduced to a shadow of what they were but they are alive and ready to do battle. I’ve taken my hits too - I’m beaten and battered but not broken. My eye is on the prize, to purchase property in about 3 years along with a vehicle more suitable to my needs and ready to take care of myself without nearby family, just in case.

There are more zombies out there kid, and they ain’t all alike.

I suppose that could be firelight in my eyes as we sit here under the stars, warmed by the fire and booze and companionship in this desolate wasteland. It might be me wanting to take the battle to those zombies though.

Yeah. I’m taking my battle to them. Mrs. W and Mr. G got my back and I’m a better man for it.

I’ll see you around here again sometime. Mind what I told you though. Sometimes the enemy seen isn’t the one to worry about, and help from friends doesn’t always come in the form of a handout but rather a hand up.

Good luck in battle and I’ll catch you another time kid. Maybe you can tell you your tale next time I come ‘round here while I drink your beer. In fact, I look forward to it.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:26 pm

The collection zeds are cleared. Some of them went easy but some were downright nasty. All collections are gone now. No more phone calls ... which is wierd to me (but I kniow it is common for others).

Well, actually one is in dispute. I'm not sure if it is a zed or not. I got a letter from the zed's master saying that it is not a zed but it's coming at me like it is. Dispute. We'll let this one waddle around for another 30 days or so and then re- assess and fight from there.

Only debts left are ones in good standing, student loan (<$6000) and truck (<$7000). Some education and coaching, some OT at the main job and picking up some extra shifts at my PT comicbook store job and picking up a few high-profile bouncer/doorman jobs, writing letters and knowing the laws all helped me beat back about $9000 in dirty, mean and stinking collection zombies. Been at it since October and got it done in May.

Re credit card late payments? IDK. My card was the first zombie I dealt with in October and I just paid it off and closed it as I cannot handle one of those. It's on my report though (late payments and over the limit) so I am just hoping "never late" on my student loans and truck payments outshine the little Visa card I had.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

yale

Post by yale » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:11 am

The Hospital Bill Revolutionary Front is nearly destroyed. Only a few straglers left.
Visa Credit Forces (VCF) were losing ground but regained some this week when they sent Car Repair Commandos to flank us. The war rages on.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:34 am

First engagements were reported last year and skirmishes continued. Having had enough of the enemy constantly encroaching on my territory, I decided at the beginning of this year to send out several batallions. After five months of constant battering of the enemy, reinforcements arrived. With those, I opened the black briefcase, entered the übersecret launch code and sent ICBMs towards the enemy's HQ. With those, the vast majority of enemy combatants were instantly destroyed. Currently, the enemy is only one batallion strong, and a small one, at that. Current plans call for V-Day in August. I could give the kill command sooner, but I think my soldiers deserve a little bit of a summer vacation before going on their final turkey shoot.

In other words: College loan almost paid off, after which I'll be debt free... 8)
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

jclaudii

Post by jclaudii » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Ahh...I might as well post since we are slowly picking away at the horde that surrounds us!

First thing...baby two came..we had our beloved 05 Jeep Wrangler, and we were surrounded by debt, but we were managing it. After trying every which way to put two car seats rear facing EASILY in the Jeep, and knowing that the little extra we had was going to be used up by the new lil guy...we sold our "Lil Jeepy" to some guy in a suite who asked "are those tires bigger than stock?" and wanted to know if he could put the "factory wheels" back on... I feel that Jeepy will never see a dirt road again!

So with the jeep sold it freed up some, but we were also smart enough to have bought a bigger jeep with uncle Sam's Extra he gave us in April. The '99 Grand cherokee fit the bill...and here's the kicker....WE OWN THAT SUCKER!!!! No full coverage insurance...and no one to call to take it back!

With this years Gov. Extra, and a child tax credit WooT! We knocked out 3 of those fly infested plastic zombie with headshots.....for less than we owed...Cash talks!!!!

We only got the biggest few left...but have them wrapped up in a zombie management program so we at least get the benefit of low interest! We moved what we were throwing at each of the zombies we knocked out and directed those forces to the next closet shambler! So far we are still looking good.

The biggest one that we don't see an end in sight is the "student loan" zombie. Our life plan didn't involve kids when my wife and I got married....but now we can't imagine our lives without the little buggers. So at the moment she's a stay at home mom who has a WHAM (work at home mom) business selling all natural soap/soy candles/etc on the net! I still work my so far solid paycheck job after surviving several layoffs and even taking a paycut!

Knowing if we had kids in daycare with what her job would pay at the moment it would almost be a wash. So, here's to making ends meet and slowly climbing the hill to VICTORY!!!! I love all these storeis and I hope to sit down again some evening and go through the ones I skimmed over!

razi

Post by razi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:28 pm

$5k credit card zombie just got it's last payment headshot. Onto the student loans!

*fanfare*

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Banka87 wrote:Image

This is now %100 mine
Nicely done.

Thanks to a nice tax return,

this is paid for, as well. :)

The only debt my wife and I have remaining is the mortgage, and that's going to take some years to pay off.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:BODY COUNT thread needs more hyperbole and exclamation points, but the narratives are good. Long live the DEBTSQUAD!!!
Okay.

The hordes are vanquished! All that remains facing the evil monkey household is:

The mortgage.

We have a cunning, but long-term plan to isolate and eliminate the beast. It is resistant to head shots, so we have to saturate it with well-aimed fire to slowly immobilize and incapacitate the beast.

We have to take care to ensure that it doesn't spawn more debt-zombies while we are focused on destroying it, as well. But someday, the battle will be won. We will be victorious. And I'll climb up onto a fighter jet and give a speech like Bill Pullman.

Until then, the battle rages.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Return to “Survival Experiences”