49 Days At Sea

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

49 Days At Sea

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 pm

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: 49 Days At Sea

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 am

That is a remarkable story. I'm at work right now, but I'm going to see if I can more details tonight.

So many questions but I'll start with just one: how did that ramshackle hut survive 49 days out at open sea? He must have been extraordinarily lucky not to have encountered any serious storms.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:10 pm

What I do not understand is where/how he got freshwater. That and the need to build a cooking fire.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:18 am

raptor wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:10 pm
What I do not understand is where/how he got freshwater. That and the need to build a cooking fire.
The articles I read say that they don't know how he got water. And he was using raft pieces for fire fuel.

Crazy... It reminds me of my Raft Builder crafting Ipad game but in real life...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm

From the NPR piece: "He drank by sipping water from his clothes that had been wetted by sea water."

Yeah, that makes no sense to me either. The only thing I could come up with is that's what came out after being passed through an uninformed reporter's factual distortion filter. Maybe what went in was "he extracted fresh water from seawater-damped clothing using a solar still".

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Since the "craft" was made to stay at anchor "77 miles offshore" it is safe to assume it had a large water tank and likely a rain catchment system of some kind. Still the one thing that would kill him in ~3 days is no water. If he is cooking and needs a fire to do so we can also assume he caught fish which can provide liquids.

But yes there are a lot of questions in my mind. He drifted 1200 miles in 49 days so that is about right @ ~ 1 knot (x 24hrs x 49days)

Return to “Survival Experiences”