Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Product: Velveeta Shells & Cheese
Best By: 21 DEC 2017
Consumed: 09 JAN 2019

Appearance: The macaroni portion seemed fine but did have a distinct "stale" aroma. The cheese sauce showed marked oil separation and some slight clumping/curdling but smelled and tasted fine.
How Prepared: Per package directions

Result: The finished dish had a slightly "off" taste to it but otherwise looked and smelled close to normal.

After Effects: Mild case of loose bowels for two days after consumption.

Note to self: dump the other two boxes in the pantry and restock with fresh
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 pm
Product: Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Best by: 22 OCT 2015
Consumed: 4 JAN 2019

Appearance: More separation of mixture than is normal. Smell and everything else was normal.
How Prepared: 8 hours in slow cooker over pot roast with potatoes, carrots, dehydrated red and green peppers and a few herbs and spices.

Result: Delicious. No ill effects by anyone. Everyone asked for more until it was all gone.

That was not a fair test...everyone knows slow cooking a pot roast acts like a filter and renders any toxins delicious. :clap:

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 am

manacheck: Sorry so late responding.

The grease ants didn't seem to affect the flavor at all. My wife thought I was nuts.
Undercooked brats bring out the wurst in people.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

I"m slowly cleaning out my MRE emergency snacks which have traveled with me over many a hill and vale. I had MRE crackers and peanut butter from c. 2003-2005. The crackers were stale, very broken, and tasted like old flour. The peanut butter smelled like those Asian beetles which look like lady bugs, and was orange. I tossed it. I have eaten enough of those beetles to last me a lifetime. The crackers were also fed to my 14 month old daughter, who was not especially impressed, but accepted the offering. The outer clear plastic of the peanut butter was seperating from the brown plastic underneath , so that might have been a clue about quality & age.

So...the peanut butter really does have an expiration date.

I"m learning one needs to clean out their MREs from time to time. People can say "I have an MRE from the 80's and I"ll eat it when I'm hungry" but I have to say there are some real limits on that stuff.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Survival Experiences”