It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:40 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Let's look at WWYD here:

My EDC in the woods is pretty simple - I go 5 Cs (all Dave Cantebury style :lol: ... but pretty standard across the board) (Hell, Cody and the rest of them all got good basic kit "plans").
1C) Cutting - Mora
2C) Container - metal waterbottle and GSI nesting cup
3C) Cover - 8x8 sil-esque tarp
4C) Combustion - ferro rod, matches, lighter, tinder, and "sure fire"
5C) Candle - flashlight (SF E2D), but that is morphing into the handiness of a headlamp

You pack these basic things in a basic bag that goes with you all over the place in the woods. Make sure you've some room for extras like some food, a FAK, and an extra jacket or something. This "5Cs" is layered over my EDC of
1) proper clothing
2) wallet
3) pistol and extra mag
4) multitool
5) keys
6) hanky
7) compass... Which, as Nate can remind us all, I seemed to have left in my truck after taking a berring on or mushroom hunting trip last fall. :oops:
8 )cordage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm 

Damn Czechnology you make it sound like one should bring some rather heavy hardware while hiking up there.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Kommander wrote:
Damn Czechnology you make it sound like one should bring some rather heavy hardware while hiking up there.

We all carry in the woods, and for overnight stuff, we usually have longarms, but I tend to be the paranoid one with at least a PCC, and more often a carbine. I also carry a copy of the state ordinances that clearly explain that the USFS regulations do not supercede my right to carry, and that unless I have other outward signs of violating hunting laws, they have no right to suspect me of poaching simply for carrying a weapons(s).

Bears, illegal growers, cougars, whatever. They're all relatively common where we go, and I'm a ZS'er goddamnit, I'm gonna be prepared. =)

ETA: I'm talking about The Woods here, not some trail outside of town or in a county park. The thing with this area is The Woods are often only about an hour from downtown Portland.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:19 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

It can, and has, get froggy up in them woods. All kinds are up in there messing about and they all know there is no cell service in 95% of the areas. It's give and take though as a lot of "them" go missing as well for many reasons. Woods don't care who or what you are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 pm 

Ad'lan wrote:
Is it bad that the fact I can get lost, really, really lost there, attractive to me about the PNW?

A simple EDC would have made their lives a lot better for those few days, and made their rescue faster. A good knife and means of making fire are essentials.

That's one of the things I like best, living here.
An area like this draws... an unusual type of person.

You have to figure you might get turned around hiking over the hill to pick blackberries, and prepare for it just in case.

Safety isn't a lever on a gun, a guard on a knife or any other mechanical device. Safety is a behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 am 

Sounds a bit like the Coyote problem we have here in AZ. It's pretty bad when the forest rangers unofficially encourage people to carry longarms.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Kommander wrote:
Sounds a bit like the Coyote problem we have here in AZ. It's pretty bad when the forest rangers unofficially encourage people to carry longarms.

Heh. I grew up in Higley and Gold Canyon back before there was anything but cotton/alfalfa fields and desert surrounding. I know exactly what you're talking about, and it wasn't even that bad back then. I wasn't allowed to play outside by myself.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 am 

Why does this thread make me want to move to the boonies in Oregon, like, right now?

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Shaper wrote:
Why does this thread make me want to move to the boonies in Oregon, like, right now?

Easy to do. Oregon is mostly boonies. :lol: I think we have more land designated "forest" than any state except Alaska.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Czechnology wrote:
Shaper wrote:

Easy to do. Oregon is mostly boonies. :lol: I think we have more land designated "forest" than any state except Alaska.

There are a few states that beat us for higher proportions of public land, but we're sitting pretty at right around 50% public.

Kommander wrote:
So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

ninja-elbow wrote:
It can, and has, get froggy up in them woods. All kinds are up in there messing about and they all know there is no cell service in 95% of the areas. It's give and take though as a lot of "them" go missing as well for many reasons. Woods don't care who or what you are.

I'd like to add that my above comment may look all vigilante justice and crap. It is not. Vigilantes and "sheepdogs" get lost up in the woods all the time too. It's like a bunch of wet and cold and lost goodguys and badguys around here. The Woods just don't give a fuck who or what you are.

Half them grows we found in our mushroom picking area were abondoneed I bet, growers could never find them again :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:22 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Quote:
It's like a bunch of wet and cold and lost goodguys and badguys around here. The Woods just don't give a fuck who or what you are.

Exactly.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Speaking of, REI map and compass class before we get into spring? There is one in February but I probably won't make it to that one so I am looking into March. Also a GPS class too - would be nice to have trained people in both in the group.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I've done land nav before, but that was about 8 years ago. I recall the process, but couldn't replicate it now if I tried. Lets do it! I bet Mike could help too.

ETA: the main problem, as you mentioned, with navigating using a map/compass in our area, is shooting a useful azimuth through all those damn trees. Finding a landmark ain't easy unless you do some serious climbing, or area near enough to man-made cleared areas that you're likely standing on a landmark, and probably not that lost.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

It's why GPS is so popular in Western OR. Been thinking of getting one of those too so I can get into more bushwhacking and not ending up in the paper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm 

Could they have ingested the wrong mushrooms that caused the disorientation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Oldpoorman wrote:
Could they have ingested the wrong mushrooms that caused the disorientation.

That's unlikely. Most of the ones that grow around here that aren't used culinarily, tend to kill you rather than introduce you to your spirit guide.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:19 pm 

Off topic, but OR related...How much are smaller parcels of rural top semi-rural land going for in Oregon? Say...no less than 5-10 wooded acres?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Shaper wrote:
Off topic, but OR related...How much are smaller parcels of rural top semi-rural land going for in Oregon? Say...no less than 5-10 wooded acres?

Absurdly cheap, down in the Klamath Area.

http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?c ... 8;268,6843

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:32 pm 

Czechnology wrote:
Shaper wrote:

Thats so cheap i`d consider buying some land just to be able to go all "Ah, you know. Own some land over the "pond" on the west. Yaknow, america" :lol:

Vampire wrote:
Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

A lot of that middle and southern OR Klamath land is really hard to get into though. I know of 4 people, my old roomy and groomsmen Crytal Brandon the most recent, that bought and sold their "Klamath plots" within years of each other. For CB it was an issue of access. Land was cheap but getting:
1) Yourself
2) any kind of hard shelter
3) water

...was pretty expensive. No INCH bag will save you out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 pm 

Czechnology wrote:
Shaper wrote:

I scanned a few of those properties, but as far as I could tell they all seem, a bit...scrubby? I would pay a little more for something closer to the classic "mature pine, cascading water, and mossy trails" Oregon, ya know? ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musiknlaw/2397154895/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

ninja-elbow wrote:
A lot of that middle and southern OR Klamath land is really hard to get into though. I know of 4 people, my old roomy and groomsmen Crytal Brandon the most recent, that bought and sold their "Klamath plots" within years of each other. For CB it was an issue of access. Land was cheap but getting:
1) Yourself
2) any kind of hard shelter
3) water

...was pretty expensive. No INCH bag will save you out there.

Yup. I don't think I'd consider getting any that didn't border a creek at least.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Shaper wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
Shaper wrote:

I scanned a few of those properties, but as far as I could tell they all seem, a bit...scrubby? I would pay a little more for something closer to the classic "mature pine, cascading water, and mossy trails" Oregon, ya know? ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musiknlaw/2397154895/

Probably wanna look more in Tillamook, Columbia, Clatsop, Clackamas, Yamill, or Marion counties then.

Vicarious_Lee wrote: