Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:07 am 
Offline
* *

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 211
Location: The Deep, Dark Hills of Eastern Kentucky
Ore. mushroom pickers found alive after 6 days

Wow. Talk about unprepared.

Let's see. What would I do....hmmmm...MAYBE BRING A PACK WITH SOMETHING IN IT!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 1471
Location: Ft. Campbell, KY
Aonghus wrote:
Ore. mushroom pickers found alive after 6 days

Wow. Talk about unprepared.

Let's see. What would I do....hmmmm...MAYBE BRING A PACK WITH SOMETHING IN IT!


But packs are, like, heavy, and stuff.

Plus, if you eat enough mushrooms, Daddy Sasquatch will find you and take care of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6wulpj1Xto

_________________
______________________

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Image
Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 1991
Location: Greater Clear Lake Area, Texas
Left their jackets and dogs at the jeep.. left the jeep.. it's amazing how turned off your brain can become when you decide you're lost. It surprises me every time. One of them needs to take up smoking, they'd have been saved in no time.. or just carry a lighter and a mirror in a pack.. maybe a map or gps.

_________________
Image

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
I have seen many people up in the woods hunting mushrooms at the same time as me. Some of them are in full foul weather gear, and are obviously prepared for the rapid changes in weather @ those altitudes, and some of them look like a light rain would do them in.

My biggest concern is always the weed farms, or rather the people who guard them, and the... ornery asian immigrants who defend "their" patch like they would in their home country. (sometimes with more than words!)

Lots of people don't take nature seriously, and there's a lot of it up here for them to get into trouble with. Even I had to completely change my mindset about outdoor preparedness when I moved here, because I'd grown accustomed to Appalachian conditions. I had never even considered the utility, let alone damn near necessity of rain pants until moving here. I now live in a temperate rainforest, and I found that I need a lot less wool, and a lot more fleece and waterproofing. (yes, wool keeps you warm when wet, I said that too at first. It also chafes like a motherfucker, and I'd rather be warm and dry, thank you very much!)

Mushrooms grow @ a decent altitude here, and conditions can change rapidly. Lots of people think they can take the family sedan up the mountain in jeans and cotton hoodies and roam around in the woods for half an hour with a general description of what they're looking for and go home with a bushel of shrooms. Maybe they can once or twice, but eventually they're going to hit bad weather, bad mushrooms, or bad people, and they'll pay for it.

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Posts: 6632
Thanks for the follow - up.

_________________
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
My books, some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Posts: 14985
Location: st louis
Left a Pepsi can on the trail? Jerks.

_________________
JoergS wrote:
Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm
Posts: 2051
At what point did it make sense to leave the car? I'm missing that, completely. Holed up with nothing but clothes on my back in car, vs. hollow log? No question. Also, car is on a road, which seems to increase the odds someone will find it (which they did...) Every time I read/watch one of these, leaving the car seems to make things worse for folks. Not that staying with it guarantees survival, but that leaving the car makes the chances a lot worse...

_________________
"Everybody's got dead people. It's no excuse to get other people dead along the way." Rocket Raccoon, Guardians of the Galaxy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:52 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Posts: 14985
Location: st louis
duodecima wrote:
At what point did it make sense to leave the car? I'm missing that, completely. Holed up with nothing but clothes on my back in car, vs. hollow log? No question. Also, car is on a road, which seems to increase the odds someone will find it (which they did...) Every time I read/watch one of these, leaving the car seems to make things worse for folks. Not that staying with it guarantees survival, but that leaving the car makes the chances a lot worse...

They lost the car while hunting mushrooms. That's what precipitated the emergency.

_________________
JoergS wrote:
Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:26 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am
Posts: 1388
Location: The mountains of Kansas, USA
No way to make fire and no whistle? Easily could have fit in a pocket and saved them a lot of trouble. Fail. They even had a dog and didn't eat it, double fail. Glad they were found, hope they learned.

_________________
Image ..... Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
jamoni wrote:
duodecima wrote:
At what point did it make sense to leave the car? I'm missing that, completely. Holed up with nothing but clothes on my back in car, vs. hollow log? No question. Also, car is on a road, which seems to increase the odds someone will find it (which they did...) Every time I read/watch one of these, leaving the car seems to make things worse for folks. Not that staying with it guarantees survival, but that leaving the car makes the chances a lot worse...

They lost the car while hunting mushrooms. That's what precipitated the emergency.


Mushrooms don't generally grow on vehicle-passable trails. Too much sun. You do find SOME, but they're usually an indicator of where to look deeper in the woods. We park on USFS roads and hike into the woods, either up or downslope to make direction-finding easier.

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm
Posts: 2051
Czechnology wrote:
jamoni wrote:
duodecima wrote:
At what point did it make sense to leave the car? I'm missing that, completely. Holed up with nothing but clothes on my back in car, vs. hollow log? No question. Also, car is on a road, which seems to increase the odds someone will find it (which they did...) Every time I read/watch one of these, leaving the car seems to make things worse for folks. Not that staying with it guarantees survival, but that leaving the car makes the chances a lot worse...

They lost the car while hunting mushrooms. That's what precipitated the emergency.


Mushrooms don't generally grow on vehicle-passable trails. Too much sun. You do find SOME, but they're usually an indicator of where to look deeper in the woods. We park on USFS roads and hike into the woods, either up or downslope to make direction-finding easier.

Nah, I just misunderstood the article - I thought they got back to the car and THEN got lost. And I have heard/read some bits about people for whatever reasons leaving their cars to walk, and assumed this was yet another of those stories.

This is more like the family that went for a Xmas tree, lost their way back as it was snowing over their tracks, and were missed on Monday when kids didn't get to school. Also somewhere in the Pacific NW, iirc.

_________________
"Everybody's got dead people. It's no excuse to get other people dead along the way." Rocket Raccoon, Guardians of the Galaxy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:08 pm
Posts: 1062
Location: Portland, OR
Yah, I thought this group was lost for good. It's good to hear they found 'em. They were blessed by unseasonably awesome weather the last week. I did not expect a good outcome from this story.

_________________
Raptor wrote:
Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.

Kommander wrote:
So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:06 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Posts: 14985
Location: st louis
Fire, water, shelter, food, first aid, comms.
And they had....
None of it, unless you count shrooms.

_________________
JoergS wrote:
Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 am 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 14171
Location: Portland, OR
Not MY personal experience, but one none-the-less.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... r_six.html

They got lucky and survived. Again, Oregon - so nice and tranquil. So easy to get lost and killed in.

_________________
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Posts: 6021
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI
Quote:
A similar search and rescue mission did not fare as well for another family. The pilot who spotted the Connes, John Rachor, also found a San Francisco family who disappeared near Gold Beach in 2006 while he was flying alone. Kati Kim, 30, and her daughters were rescued from their car after being stuck in a snowstorm for nine days with few supplies. James Kim, 35, was found dead two days later in a creek.

Don't be that guy...

_________________
JAYNE COBB wrote:
Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 am
Posts: 5372
Location: BC Canada
Is it bad that the fact I can get lost, really, really lost there, attractive to me about the PNW?

A simple EDC would have made their lives a lot better for those few days, and made their rescue faster. A good knife and means of making fire are essentials.

_________________
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:21 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Posts: 9340
Location: PDX-ish
Ad'lan wrote:
Is it bad that the fact I can get lost, really, really lost there, attractive to me about the PNW?

A simple EDC would have made their lives a lot better for those few days, and made their rescue faster. A good knife and means of making fire are essentials.



Not just really really lost, but really really lost, really really fast.

_________________
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 14171
Location: Portland, OR
Hell, hate to admit it, but me and Nate got "sorta lost" mushroom hunting with Czech and crew last November. It was on a slope, all downhill lead to the road. Still got miscombobulated. Thick underbrush, mud groves, fallen timber - fuck your day up around here and all within a few hundred yards off the road. I had a compass bearing too.

_________________
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 14171
Location: Portland, OR
Ad'Lan is correct - 10 essentials, 5 Cs, 10 Cs ... whatever you want to call them. Would have made life way easier for them folks 6 days out in the wild.

That dude that died in the creek a few years ago? He was fucked. No EDC that was not "full 80 litre pack for sub zero outing and Les Stroud and 4 years of experience" would've helped him. Too bad. He sounded like a cool guy.

Another family got stuck out in the area of Mt. Hood National Forest that I play in, I even recognized the fork in the road they were stuck in, last December. A Dad and his 2 kids went out to play in snow and he got stuck turning his van around as it was getting dicey. They had food and gear and walked out the next day after the van's gas ran out (he kept it running all night for the heat). For those that have been out there with me, they walked some miles back to Ripplebrook where they were able to make some calls.

_________________
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 317
Location: La Grande OR
Out here in the east side of the state I normally run into one or two people that are lost in the mountains. During elk season I found a lost hunter who came over the wrong side of a ridge and got lost. Normally when we find someone they are from some other area and aren't even carrying a map for the region. Heck one time we ran into one guy trying to find his camp then later we found his camp in the opposite direction he was going.

_________________
Hawkeye
Sole member of the East Oregon Independent Contingent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:57 pm
Posts: 98
Location: Oregon City, OR
this could of been another fine example of thinning the herd.

_________________
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
when unsure what to do, do the most violent thing possible


Last edited by Ruppism on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 1991
Location: Greater Clear Lake Area, Texas
Dupe:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 31&t=89976

NE Edit - Thanks TX - merged 'em.

_________________
Image

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:36 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:08 pm
Posts: 1062
Location: Portland, OR
Ruppism wrote:
this could of been another fine example of thinning the heard.


I didn't realize tympanic membrane ablation was a common problem.

Unless you meant "herd", in which case I might suggest more sympathy for your fellow man.

_________________
Raptor wrote:
Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.

Kommander wrote:
So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 14171
Location: Portland, OR
When you are in the trees and bush you can't even take visual bearring via landmark as your visibility is down to "them trees right in front of me".

_________________
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group