Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safety at the atm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:03 pm 

I work nights, I usually deposit my checks at night/early in the morning after work. I've thought about the different ways people could try to rob me while at the atm and checking out a movie at a Redbox machine-I usually rent a movie after work. This is to help prevent being robbed, I'm not a self-punishment whore......Soo, back on thread. Here are some of the things I do while at each for safety. Feel free to add in your vulnerable situation and what you do to make it safer.

At the Redbox machine-
I take only my debit card with me and leave my wallet in my glove box. This way, if any person gets angry or violent, I can say something like-Look, all I've got with me is my debit card, no wallet.
I make sure to have my knife with me, and ready to use-blade lock is off, etc. Also, I look around me periodically to make it harder to sneak up on me.

At the bank atm-The bank's always closed when I deposit checks or use it in general. It's a drive-up type.
I drive up as close as possible-to leave a bad guy less room to try to get near me.
I get my card out, and stash my wallet in my center console until I'm done-it has an armrest-lid. I do this so that if I do get robbed, it's hopefully a minimal loss.
As soon as the machine's done, I get my card, sometimes money, and roll the window up. THEN, I count it quickly.
My knife is out and ready.
Lastly, as I'm leaving, I make sure no one's following me.

Recently, I was in a rough part of town, there was an atm there. I decided to skip that one, and go to the one closer to home.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject: Re: Safety at the atm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:07 pm 

I look for the best possible place to wait to rob someone. Then I look to see if someone is standing there... 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Tips when using ATMs.

Be aware of who is standing around.

Make sure the ATM is well-lit.

When using the drive-up type, lock your passenger doors and roll up all their windows.

Cover the number pad with the other hand when typing in your PIN.

Count your money elsewhere, and as soon as it comes out, stick it out of sight. Don't flash your money around.

Honestly, I prefer the swipe-type of ATM, so I can just swipe and put my card back in my wallet. The kind that keeps your card during the transaction makes you stick around longer than you should once you get your money.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:31 pm 

Yes, it does. I once drove up to an atm that still had someone else's card in it! I called it in to the bank for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Wait till afternoon to deposit check and go into the bank, or get direct deposit.

Get Netflix and have them delivered directly to your residence or plan ahead and get the movie before work when it's more likely that there are people around and go to a 24 hour store that has the machine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:37 pm 

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:45 pm 

ATM STRATEGY with Tony Blauer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpEQICb-9Sg

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:30 pm 

+1 on the Direct Deposit (assuming it's your check as opposed to nightly receipts).

As for the ATM, planning ahead really has helped me avoid using ATMs, unless I know I can do this in daytime. When at the grocer's, Wally Mart, wherever, if I need cash, I'll select the "Cash Back"option. We really try to combine trips as much as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

AzCat wrote:
When at the grocer's, Wally Mart, wherever, if I need cash, I'll select the "Cash Back"option. We really try to combine trips as much as possible.

Made me remember something. Every Wal-Mart store and Kroger I've been in has an ATM inside close to the registers. Using them vs. outdoor ATMs at night makes more sense if all you are doing is withdrawing money. Some of the Super Wal-Marts even have local banks inside them, so it may even be possible to make deposits there after banking hours.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 pm 

Years ago I was living in a pretty marginal neighborhood of a major american city. This was before free standing kiosk atms started appearing in delis and grocery stores. When I first moved to the area there were no banks at all... you had to walk to the adjacent slightly less marginal "gentrified" area (ten or twelve blocks) to get to the nearest atm.
The first atm to appear in the area was a major bank branded walk up wall kiosk outside of the area's only supermarket.
I was walking with a friend the first time I used the machine and he went to duck into store for something while I hit the atm.
As the machine dispensed my money I heard/felt my friend come up behind me and as I grabbed the bills a hand reached around me and grabbed at them.
I tugged the bills free and tightened my grip as I removed my card from the machine, but before I had turned around the hand shot back and tried again.
this time I swatted the hand the way you would to keep someone out of the cake batter and turned around saying "That's not even funny." thinking still that I was talking to my friend.
I managed to conceal my surprise that I was looking at a skinny junky who's eyes were still fixed on my cash.
I shoved the money in my pocket and said "are you trying to get your arm broken?".
the kid said "I'm sorry, I didn't know it was you." and sprinted away up the block and around the corner.

Yes I paid better attention after that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:22 am 

I like your idea of only carrying the atm card with you,
BUT...
It is wiser to have an extra wallet with only like 5 bucks in $1 to give up to the robber.
They wont be happy if you hand them nothing, but they'll probably take your wallet and run!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:30 am 

The safest thing you can do at an ATM is to leave the guys with the guns and big white money truck alone. Yes the ATM is down. No you can't just use it real quick. No I can't help you with problem X call the bank.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 am 

Quote:
...I decided to skip that one, and go to the one closer to home.

I think you've answered your own question my friend! Go do your business inside or during daylight hours in a very public area. We can't plan/prep for the end of the world and fail to plan on pulling the $40 for the night shift...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Screw deposting the check during the day, I worked nights, I know how bad that fucks your sleep schedule.

Do you have any 24hr Walmart's or grocery stores? I know Walmart had my bank, and while I wouldn't call Walmart safe, it at least has more cameras and is well lit. Just be extra cautious heading back through the parking lot.

As for Redbox, again look for 24hr stores, but I know some gas stations have em as well as Walgreens if it's open late.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:34 am 

The bank branch I use has a little indoor ATM area, open 24 hrs, with lights all over it inside and out - with the door to your left. They also have mirrors in both corners so you can see the entire room with ease.

I like it when a bank actually helps keep me safe. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 am 

Many hotels have ATMs in their lobby. It's hard to tell what's safe sometimes. Hotels ATM might also be one of the last places to run out of cash in case there's a run at your local bank ATM. If you're not in your element or worried about location, try a nice hotel for a safe ATM.

Post subject: Safety at the atm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If I need to use an ATM what I'll do is look to see if there are people standing at it. If there are I will wait till its not in use.

When I do use it I take a look around me to see who is nearby & what they are doing. I'll then cover the keypad with my hand whilst I key in my pin.

After this stage I'll again check my surroundings & then quickly put the cash in my wallet, take the slip & walk away.

Once when my husband used an ATM I saw a guy cross over the street & walk directly towards him.
I walked to the edge of the pavement & stood staring directly at his face, making eye contact. He got the hint and changed course.
I watched him walk away & then told my husband.

That was a lesson on the usefulness of watching around me.

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:14 pm 
BANNED

I JUST dont use them anymore. People still use cash?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:50 pm 
BANNED

if the atm deposit is such a big deal ..... no direct deposit available ..... you must be working for a small company ...... give the payroll department a handful of deposit-by-mail bank envelopes and deposit slips ..... take an extra day to get it deposited .....

forget about using cash for stuff ..... start using your credit card /atm for everything

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:39 pm 

Phoenix David wrote:
Wait till afternoon to deposit check and go into the bank, or get direct deposit.

Get Netflix and have them delivered directly to your residence or plan ahead and get the movie before work when it's more likely that there are people around and go to a 24 hour store that has the machine.

Agreed, A tiny bit of Mom's common sense is sometimes better than elite SWAT/SOCOM/NINJA training. Just drop off your check at the bank the next day. In relatively sketchy areas I get money from ATM's in big stores during the day. To the best of my knowledge nobody has every gotten mugged at the ATM inside a Safeway or Barnes and Noble at 4 in the afternoon.

http://tslrf.blogspot.de/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

theotherryan wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

Agreed, A tiny bit of Mom's common sense is sometimes better than elite SWAT/SOCOM/NINJA training. Just drop off your check at the bank the next day. In relatively sketchy areas I get money from ATM's in big stores during the day. To the best of my knowledge nobody has every gotten mugged at the ATM inside a Safeway or Barnes and Noble at 4 in the afternoon.

Honestly you're in far more danger of entering your pin into a false-front swiper/keypad than you are being physically assaulted and robbed.

If you have anything approaching decent situational awareness, you should be fine avoiding guys in striped shirts with big sacks with $ on them, but everyone should learn how to check ATMs for skimmers/false-front keypads.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:15 pm 

I no longer use ATM's - i get whatever cash I think i may need at my bank when I make my deposits ,typically every 2-3 days.

Several years ago I pulled into a nearby drive thru atm - this particular atm is on the side of a building, with another building next to it. Being well lit, I had always considered it a safer place to stop - the only approaches being directly in front or behind.
There was a car in front of me so as I waited I got my card out etc. The car pulled up and so did I - the drive through ended on a somewhat busy street, I figured the car was waiting for clear traffic to pull out so I began my transaction when another car pulled in behind me. At about the same time, doors on both cars opened and a couple guys got out - the passenger in the fron car, not sure about the one behind. I hit the cancel button and rolled my windows up.
Guy in front is walking down the middle of the drive through.
My pistol comes out of the console and I put my truck in gear and start rolling forward. Guy in front stops, standing directly in front of a one ton chevy dully, I keep rolling. A few inches maybe less and the guy side steps and kicks my truck - I pull out, raking the side of his car, which is partially blocking the exit with the side of my bed and haul ass down the street. Thankfully the guys were either not armed or not in the mood to play show n tell, I stopped at the McFunkys down the street and called the cops - they showed up fairly quickly and told me that they had heard of a couple guys doing this in other areas but this was the first report locally. With the nice hip-high gouge down the side of their honda wagon - guy in front was quickly caught. Guy in back was identified but never caught.

Cops did remark that it takes a special kind of stupid to go nose to nose with a fully rigged out welding truck weighing in at 12,400 in nothing but your sagging shorts and teenyboppers.

I am conscious of my surroundings, I am armed, I am trained, I am human and I make mistakes. It was less than a seconds decision to pull up and wait at that ATM, and it could have turned out very differently. I was fortunate - I had a little blue paint on my welding bed, thats already a dozen different shades of black, and a couple hours of reports and testimony to sit through.
Millions of people use atms everyday I guess - I have no reason to be one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

SRO1911 wrote:
I no longer use ATM's - i get whatever cash I think i may need at my bank when I make my deposits ,typically every 2-3 days.

Several years ago I pulled into a nearby drive thru atm - this particular atm is on the side of a building, with another building next to it. Being well lit, I had always considered it a safer place to stop - the only approaches being directly in front or behind.
There was a car in front of me so as I waited I got my card out etc. The car pulled up and so did I - the drive through ended on a somewhat busy street, I figured the car was waiting for clear traffic to pull out so I began my transaction when another car pulled in behind me. At about the same time, doors on both cars opened and a couple guys got out - the passenger in the fron car, not sure about the one behind. I hit the cancel button and rolled my windows up.
Guy in front is walking down the middle of the drive through.
My pistol comes out of the console and I put my truck in gear and start rolling forward. Guy in front stops, standing directly in front of a one ton chevy dully, I keep rolling. A few inches maybe less and the guy side steps and kicks my truck - I pull out, raking the side of his car, which is partially blocking the exit with the side of my bed and haul ass down the street. Thankfully the guys were either not armed or not in the mood to play show n tell, I stopped at the McFunkys down the street and called the cops - they showed up fairly quickly and told me that they had heard of a couple guys doing this in other areas but this was the first report locally. With the nice hip-high gouge down the side of their honda wagon - guy in front was quickly caught. Guy in back was identified but never caught.

Cops did remark that it takes a special kind of stupid to go nose to nose with a fully rigged out welding truck weighing in at 12,400 in nothing but your sagging shorts and teenyboppers.

I am conscious of my surroundings, I am armed, I am trained, I am human and I make mistakes. It was less than a seconds decision to pull up and wait at that ATM, and it could have turned out very differently. I was fortunate - I had a little blue paint on my welding bed, thats already a dozen different shades of black, and a couple hours of reports and testimony to sit through.
Millions of people use atms everyday I guess - I have no reason to be one of them.

Sounds like you handled it appropriately and helped the police stop them. Excellent job, maybe you should go hang out @ ATMs, liquor stores etc more? :awesome:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:42 am 

A little PSA.

On top of everything else, one more thing crooks are doing to get your money is to overlay a scanner and keyboard over the scanning port where you dip your ATM card. The overlay scans and records the data in your ATM card. The keyboard relays the data but records the PIN. The crooks later clone your ATM card with PIN and start making withdrawls.

Make the time to carefully examine the ATM for "alterations". They frequently set this up at night when bank employees aren't around, then pull it out in the early AM before employees arrive.