Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:13 am 

id probably go with an ar10 or an m1a if i wanted a rifle.
or
a Saiga twelve with fletchlette and grenade rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 pm 

Mwinter,

Good point about the Utahraptor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:19 pm 

An AR chambered in 338 Lapua. I saw it on youtube. Is it real? Who knows, but if it was, it would do the job.

http://mormon.org/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:04 am 

I didnt check to see if anyone else has mentioned this but In the book (which is super awesome, you should check it out) Robert Muldoon's character refuses to work on the island unless John Hammond buys rocket launcher's for him.

I'd go with a AA12 shotgun and load it with slugs but I wouldnt really feel decent about my chances unless I could get a M203 launcher attached.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:24 pm 

Browning 1919 belt fed .30 cal machine gun - for a demonstration of using one sans mount watch the HBO series the Pacific. Effective against large single predators or waves of smaller ones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:53 pm 

An SR10 with an 870MCS attached to the bottom...with "Dragons Breath Rounds" to scare the nasty critters off...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This is a great thread.

I used to work at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History here in Pittsburgh and I spent a lot of time thinking about this topic while looking at various fossils (and usually around lunchtime). One of my good friends is an Associate Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology, so I have a resource to reach back to. (He's also pooped on every continent as well). Anyway, on to the subject at hand.

If I had to pick one gun for said situation, I'd want it to have the following characteristics; lethality, range, accuracy, adaptability, ammunition, and high cyclic rate of fire.

-Lethality- this is a function of terminal energy and permanent wound channel: power of the round and the size of the round. Most comments on the thread have gone for large calibers, quite logically, and we are looking at 30+ caliber rounds or the standard 12 gauge.

-Range- this contributes to the terminal energy as well. Here the 12 gauge falls short. I love the 12 gauge as much as the next ZS-er, but I'd like to reach out and touch a critter beyond 100 yards.

-Accuracy- I'd like something that has less than 1 MOA. A lot of the weapons already discussed will do that from the M-82 aka M-107 even to a Mosin. But this would knock out the AK.

-Adaptability- It would be awesome to use the same piece to go from sniping to room clearing (maybe I'd like to go inside to use the bathroom or something). Some of the weapons mentioned are too big to clear a corner. Consider the M-82 aka M-107 here.

-Ammunition- The piece would need to take a variety of rounds for multiple situations. Win for the 12 gauge here as mentioned before. But, next up in ammo is probably the .308. Ranging from say, 150 grain hunting rounds, 168 grain long grain match rounds such as M-118, or the new Mk-319 Barrier Penetrating round. I'd also like something with some high capacity as well, which would knock out a number of 12 gauges including the M-1014.

-High cyclic rate of fire- If needed, I'd like to be able to zing lead fast. 650+ RPM, but less than 1000. This would eliminate the AA and at the opposite end, the Uzi.

So, what have I come up with? My answer is the FN Mk-17 SCAR in .308. The .308 has lethality and adaptability needed. With the SCAR, the barrels can be changed out from a heavy barrel for sniping and a short barrel with a suppressor for indoor work. The rate of fire would meet said requirements.

Now, would a Mk-17 take out a T rex or Spinosaur? It would be a question of shot placement, and here optics would come into play. I haven't made a complete decision here yet, but for the weight, I'd haul around a Aimpoint Comp-M M-68 with the 4x adaptor, Tricon ACOG, and EOTech. Since money doesn't matter, I'd add a Leupold long range scope. At night, I'd add a tube onto the front of the piece. In theory, a .308 could disable a large theropod with a neck or CNS shot (use the Mk-319 there). If that doesn't work, toss on the Mk-13 UGL and thump some forty mike mike downrange. A little HEDP would prolly work.

There's my answer.

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm 

jackal556 wrote:
This is a great thread.

I used to work at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History here in Pittsburgh and I spent a lot of time thinking about this topic while looking at various fossils (and usually around lunchtime). One of my good friends is an Associate Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology, so I have a resource to reach back to. (He's also pooped on every continent as well). Anyway, on to the subject at hand.

If I had to pick one gun for said situation, I'd want it to have the following characteristics; lethality, range, accuracy, adaptability, ammunition, and high cyclic rate of fire.

-Lethality- this is a function of terminal energy and permanent wound channel: power of the round and the size of the round. Most comments on the thread have gone for large calibers, quite logically, and we are looking at 30+ caliber rounds or the standard 12 gauge.

-Range- this contributes to the terminal energy as well. Here the 12 gauge falls short. I love the 12 gauge as much as the next ZS-er, but I'd like to reach out and touch a critter beyond 100 yards.

-Accuracy- I'd like something that has less than 1 MOA. A lot of the weapons already discussed will do that from the M-82 aka M-107 even to a Mosin. But this would knock out the AK.

-Adaptability- It would be awesome to use the same piece to go from sniping to room clearing (maybe I'd like to go inside to use the bathroom or something). Some of the weapons mentioned are too big to clear a corner. Consider the M-82 aka M-107 here.

-Ammunition- The piece would need to take a variety of rounds for multiple situations. Win for the 12 gauge here as mentioned before. But, next up in ammo is probably the .308. Ranging from say, 150 grain hunting rounds, 168 grain long grain match rounds such as M-118, or the new Mk-319 Barrier Penetrating round. I'd also like something with some high capacity as well, which would knock out a number of 12 gauges including the M-1014.

-High cyclic rate of fire- If needed, I'd like to be able to zing lead fast. 650+ RPM, but less than 1000. This would eliminate the AA and at the opposite end, the Uzi.

So, what have I come up with? My answer is the FN Mk-17 SCAR in .308. The .308 has lethality and adaptability needed. With the SCAR, the barrels can be changed out from a heavy barrel for sniping and a short barrel with a suppressor for indoor work. The rate of fire would meet said requirements.

Now, would a Mk-17 take out a T rex or Spinosaur? It would be a question of shot placement, and here optics would come into play. I haven't made a complete decision here yet, but for the weight, I'd haul around a Aimpoint Comp-M M-68 with the 4x adaptor, Tricon ACOG, and EOTech. Since money doesn't matter, I'd add a Leupold long range scope. At night, I'd add a tube onto the front of the piece. In theory, a .308 could disable a large theropod with a neck or CNS shot (use the Mk-319 there). If that doesn't work, toss on the Mk-13 UGL and thump some forty mike mike downrange. A little HEDP would prolly work.

There's my answer.

^^^This just ended the thread lol

SMoAF wrote:
Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:03 pm 

If it is something that I have to hump, then I want something that is light enough to carry and swing around, quick enough to cycle and have enough power to take down most of what I would run into. So I choose my Winchester 71 converted to .50 Alaskan.

If its good enough for kodiaks then it should be fine for just about everything. Still wouldn't want to get caught out in the open against a T-rex....hell even raptors can come at you from different angles very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 am 

gelgoog wrote:
If it is something that I have to hump, then I want something that is light enough to carry and swing around, quick enough to cycle and have enough power to take down most of what I would run into. So I choose my Winchester 71 converted to .50 Alaskan.

If its good enough for kodiaks then it should be fine for just about everything. Still wouldn't want to get caught out in the open against a T-rex....hell even raptors can come at you from different angles very quickly.

do want....50 alaskan, never heard of it.

SMoAF wrote:
Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm 

gelgoog wrote:

The tyrannosaurs are definitely in the dangerous game category. A full grown specimen will weigh in the neighborhood of 8,000 lbs. (Some estimates are higher but I am firmly in the theropods were more like birds than mammals camp) If, in fact, the breathing mechanism was bird like then they probably also shared the four chambered heart and complex circulatory system. That means a tyrannosaur would have a high metabolic rate and be active and quick.

Combining that with the physiology of the legs and feet I would hazard a guess that the tyrannosaur was a cursorial hunter and/or used a shark like strategy of bite from ambush and wait for the victim to bleed to death before coming back to eat. That could imply some packlike behavior analogous to that found in modern canines.

Nevertheless, they would, most likely, be just as vulnerable to small arms fire as a modern elephant or rhinoceros . As you may know, modern poachers commonly empty a magazine or two from a AK-47 into an elephant and then just wait for it finish dieing. Since this thread seems to center more on killing dinosaurs than hunting them, that strategy would probably work on a tyrannosaurus, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 pm 

a FN fal with FMJ and a masterkey under.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 pm 

I would probably go with something like a Barret M107 or possibly a AA-12 as it host a wide range of ammo that can be useful in all types of situations. Using the AA-12 would probably be better in case of fast moving predators like some of the larger animals in the raptor family and the smaller therapods. I can definately see how the Barret would prove useful for keeping at range and taking out those large nasty therapods like a T-rex.

It all depends on what dinosaurs you encounter and as i complete nerd when it comes to Palaeontology its hard to wrap my mind around a weapon that could handle all those damn dinosaurs well... (bear in mind that im no gun expert). It also depends on what time period/dinosaurs are around.

Last edited by thatguy91 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:22 pm 

Saiga 12 with buck and slug.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:06 pm 

If a Browning .30 cal machine gun is too much to hump around - then fall back would be a BAR - 20 round mags of 30-06.

Semi-auto - M1A with 20 round mags of .308 - accurate - portable - powerful - long range

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 pm 

sons of guns made a shoulder fired version of the .30 cal M1919. it was pretty big and heavy but the man who it was made for is quite a big man himself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 am 

sticking with the enfield .303

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 am 

Niblick wrote:
HK G3 with sniper scope. First I'd climb a tree, then I'd bait the dinos...and here's where the plan gets masterful. You gotta SNIPE the t-rexs through the eye. Jurassic Park tree sniper FTW!

First of all, when you climbed the tree....you became the bait for the dino's. Which is where OUR plan became masterful :lol:

I second the BAR!! But if not I'd stick with my mag fed .308 and lots of DU rds :wink:

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140

brothaman wrote:
you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.

ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 pm 

Everyone here seems worried about the big T-Rex, but you should be more worried about the raptors. They are extremely smart from what we can tell, very agile and would be a severe threat to humans if they existed in this age.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:57 pm 
BANNED

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Last edited by dancenbear on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 pm 

M4 with M203.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:35 pm 
BANNED

Last edited by dancenbear on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:52 pm 

0122358 wrote:
gelgoog wrote:

do want....50 alaskan, never heard of it.

That is a absolutely gorgeous gun!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:47 pm 

I take mine back.

.22 rimfire or a 12 gauge with birdshot. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next