Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 am 

Simple...

A M1 Abrams...

That should be handy in the JP.

dogbane wrote:
It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:11 pm 

AA-12 with grenade shells

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:12 pm 

M-4 chambered in .308. Night vision scope. Grenade launcher. Laser. Armor piercing, incendiary, explosive ammo. I have no doubt a t-Rex will not stand after 30 armor piercing rounds.

If I were to go old school, I'll go with a lever action marlin chambered in 45-70.

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them" - Thomas Paine

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike" - Banksy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 am 

dynomike wrote:
M-4 chambered in .308. Night vision scope. Grenade launcher. Laser. Armor piercing, incendiary, explosive ammo. I have no doubt a t-Rex will not stand after 30 armor piercing rounds.

If I were to go old school, I'll go with a lever action marlin chambered in 45-70.

Dynomike...your avatar is all i need to say..ive talked in length with my buddies about this...wow that sounded sad.

SMoAF wrote:
Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:08 am 

One rifle and one handgun?

Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag with custom magazines (for larger capacity)

Longslide Glock 20 (10mm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:21 am 

Halo plasma rifle

For real:

Mossberg 500 with lots and lots and lots of centurion buck and ball loads.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:12 pm 

My one weapon I would bring would hands down be an army of apes trained to use katanas. :twisted: 8-)

My bov: 1988 dodge w250

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:17 pm 

Definitively agree with bamboo spear on the 12ga. It is the weapon system that offers the greatest versatility.. birdshot, buckshot, slug, sabot, gas, grenade, taser... the list goes on and on.. I would stick with the first 870 I ever owned.. The Remington 870 Wingmaster 20" with 8+1 capacity. I would add a sling, light, and shotshell holder. Tack driving at 65 yards with the iron sights. I am sure there would be no problem hitting a freakin DINOSAUR out over 100 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:15 am 

You know, for all that yummy dino meat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

phractal wrote:

That my friend is a win because we all know a true survivalist make the best out of a bad situation... DINO BBQ oh god now im hungry. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am 

This

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/gallery ... rd?photo=9

It's a 2 gauge, 1-5/16 dia. bore, with a one pound cartridge. Sure you couldn't carry a lot of ammo, but it would be a good bunker gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am 

mough wrote:
Halo plasma rifle

For real:

Mossberg 500 with lots and lots and lots of centurion buck and ball loads.

I load my 12 guage with buck and ball also!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:10 am 

phractal wrote:

Don't forget your cookbook.

Call me anything you need."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

tedbeau wrote:
mough wrote:

I load my 12 guage with buck and ball also!

When that first loaded up on the screen, I thought it looked a lot like a box of a particular brand of condom. :shock:

Of course, who am I to judge if someone wants to take condoms to Jurassic Park. Additionally, I guess they would both be for protection. :?

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:04 am 

.458SOCOM with solids would be my 1st choice, followed by something Saiga or AA12-ish in 12ga. I'd give up the range for the wide deep hole-makin' attributes.

With regards to MBR calibers....the M1 Garand starts to look good in JP-land. Semi-auto, 8 shots, quick loading, and I'll take the advantage in bullet weight/power over the .308 when dealing with heavy game. Garand with -06 220gr JSPs or 200gr bronze solids is much better medicine than a majority of .308 offerings.

I worked at a local zoo for a while, and gave tours to lucky rich bastids who were smart enough to want to know about their quarry before waltzing off to Africa or Alaska for big game. Couple things that many folks may not know, that would apply in spades to some JP foes:

-elephant skull, approx. 4" thick in some places, bone denser than many other animals. (There are shoots on file where an unusually thick human skull stopped a normally deep-penetrating 9mmP; imagine 4-8 inches of bone of any density protecting vitals in some dinos).

-bear tissue can be twice as dense as people-stuff....so the pet tacticool load that does 12-16" in gel probably wouldn't make it to any vitals on a large bear in a charge. Seen bears skulls dressed out that had pockmarks (read ZERO penetration) from .30-30 150gr JSPs.

JP would present the worst of both worlds from modern big game....tough, tiny-brained oddly-shaped skulls like the crocodile, with enough size/weight to make a Cape Buffalo look like a poodle. What we know about many theropod species paints them as relatively thin-skinned and lightly built compared to an elephant or sauropod, but sheer size and angles during a charge would push the limits of handheld firearms below .338LM/.50BMG performance.

I realize it would violate the spirit of the OP's question, but the 25mm XM109 is as 'handheld' as any other Barrett and would do the trick on Grumpy and Alice fo SHO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 am 

I think your Garand would probably die after one or two 200 grain rounds went through it. Even with a properly adjusted Schuster nut, they're not very good with the heavy 200-220 grain loads. You're just asking to bend an op-rod and kill your rifle.

Secondly, on bears, the issue is not so much that the skull is dense, as the shape of it, and the fact that people who try to head shoot bears, often aim too damn high.

Bears do not have an increadibly tough skull, what they do have, is a fatty cap that sits ontop of the skull, they have no skull above the eyebrows. The problem comes when people try to shoot them between the eyes, and the bullet catches only the very top of the rounded skull. Most of the time, this will not kill the bear.

If you have to shoot a bear in the head, aim low, between the eyes and the nose, or try and put a bullet up his nose, or into the open mouth. Any of those will stop a bear in fairly short order.

Lastly, I'm not sure about dino's but here in AK, its fairly uncommon to have much time in a bear charge. Typically, you don't realize they're coming for you until they're close. There's no emptying the mag, you're lucky or good to get off 2 maybe 3 shots with a handgun or 1 maybe 2 with a rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:12 am 

I defer to any Alaskan with regards to bruins; I've only dealt with black bears down here in the field and even they scare me stoopid (which is worse than 'stupid'). An acquaintance took a good B&C blackie in NC with a .41Mag, and I hear his brass rattling as he walks. The zoo had a few .375+ guns on hand.

Admittedly, I have not run any of the Federal 220gr JSPs (my boltgun hog load) in a Garand, but I did put about 60rds of Lapua 200gr (Naturalis I think?) through a CMP gun brought on a trip by a friend with no problems. I assume his gun is stock as he is not a tinkerer but I could be wrong. It felt like a good heavier-game piece.

The old joke .22 pistol also comes to mind.... shoot someone else in the leg and run like hell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm 

Arsenal SGL21-73 AK-47 with a drum mag would be my weapon of choice

The greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and shelter - B. Mollison

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm 

Jesus 200 grain sold brass would murder a garand

my blog: GarandThumb.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:33 pm 

Mwinter wrote:
I defer to any Alaskan with regards to bruins; I've only dealt with black bears down here in the field and even they scare me stoopid (which is worse than 'stupid'). An acquaintance took a good B&C blackie in NC with a .41Mag, and I hear his brass rattling as he walks. The zoo had a few .375+ guns on hand.

Admittedly, I have not run any of the Federal 220gr JSPs (my boltgun hog load) in a Garand, but I did put about 60rds of Lapua 200gr (Naturalis I think?) through a CMP gun brought on a trip by a friend with no problems. I assume his gun is stock as he is not a tinkerer but I could be wrong. It felt like a good heavier-game piece.

The old joke .22 pistol also comes to mind.... shoot someone else in the leg and run like hell.

If he didn't have a schuster nut, he's just shooting a ticking time bomb. Any of the heavier than mil-standard loads, will eventually kill that gun. Its not an if, simply a when. Too much stress. Now you could go through the work of getting a schuster nut and adjusting it, but the problem with that is, you wouldn't be able to just grab some 160 grain rounds and start shooting after you adjusted it for the 200, or vise versa. The garand was a fine gun, but its not really a hunting gun.

<---blew a SA USGI op-rod shooting 180 grain hunting loads, back before I knew better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Mwinter wrote:
I realize it would violate the spirit of the OP's question, but the 25mm XM109 is as 'handheld' as any other Barrett and would do the trick on Grumpy and Alice fo SHO.

You...you and me...we're pissing through the same straw. That was my choice of weapon, too, but more to the point, those are the particular theropods I had in mind when selecting it. (Of course, smart money is always on making them fight each other.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:53 pm 

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
That's fine, but the scenario said Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park said velociraptors.

The "raptors" in Jurassic park were more like Deinonychus than Velociraptor. Also the Tyrannosaurus was more likely Nevadensis not Rex.

Now that's out of the way I return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:44 am 

Either an AR-15 with M855 penetrator ooooorrrrrr

An LMT MWS loaded with 145gr SSA AP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:51 am 

1. AK, duly noted. He is OCONUS but the next time I talk with him I'll pick his brain and/or warn him.

2. ParaB, Gregory Paul was one of the consultants to the JP series, and his cladistics give genus Velociraptor (sp Antirrhopus) for the JP critters (what you I and Ostrom would call Deinonychus), and sp Mongoliensis for the original species. I found it interesting that the outsized JP raptors were kinda sorta validated by Kirkland's Utahraptor (I worked at the traveling JP exhibit for a bit and corresponded with Paul for a while on size estimates and production concepts, etc.) during the film's first works.

3. Jeriah, I was pleasantly surprised at the dinos in the remake (movie). I DVRd some of the series right before I went to see it for nostalgia (Kroft shows were a fav when I was much younger and slightly more foolish).....GAWD that was some sobaditsgood television. I am liking what I am seeing in load development for several of the USMIL 25mm cartridges, but that 'PayLoad' concept has brontosaurus-burgers written ALL over it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next