Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by lailr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am

SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm
lailr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Just don't move South because you like the atmosphere, and then tell us how you used to do something "Up North" :roll:
"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by moab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am

lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm
lailr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Just don't move South because you like the atmosphere, and then tell us how you used to do something "Up North" :roll:
"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am

moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm

"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.
If people didn't come here and try to implement the sorts of services which caused the high CoL in their origin state, I might agree.

But, you know, Austin.

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by lailr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am

moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm

"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.

Most of ours, regionally, are New Englanders, whom retire here for the reduced cost of living. Again, I've met plenty that I get on great with. It's when they want to change what we have going on here that it becomes a problem.....

Don't like a Motorcross track? Don't move in next to one, then try to get the zoning changed. Don't like people shooting in their backyards? Don't move out in the country. Common sense folks aren't so common anymore

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by moab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 am

lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm


This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.

Most of ours, regionally, are New Englanders, whom retire here for the reduced cost of living. Again, I've met plenty that I get on great with. It's when they want to change what we have going on here that it becomes a problem.....

Don't like a Motorcross track? Don't move in next to one, then try to get the zoning changed. Don't like people shooting in their backyards? Don't move out in the country. Common sense folks aren't so common anymore
If I'm not allowed to shoot my guns in my backyard when I move back to WA. I'll be pissed too. ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by lailr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm

I don't think most Rural folks would have a problem with transplants of a ZS mentality

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14250
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:05 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm

"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.
Well, since jumped off the high dive in to politics I will tell you I have met plenty of people from California (and other places) who just love all that stuff. But I have never met anyone from around here who would admit it. Unless they were from somewhere else.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by Langenator » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:13 am

moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am


Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.

Most of ours, regionally, are New Englanders, whom retire here for the reduced cost of living. Again, I've met plenty that I get on great with. It's when they want to change what we have going on here that it becomes a problem.....

Don't like a Motorcross track? Don't move in next to one, then try to get the zoning changed. Don't like people shooting in their backyards? Don't move out in the country. Common sense folks aren't so common anymore
If I'm not allowed to shoot my guns in my backyard when I move back to WA. I'll be pissed too. ;)
Don't count on it in King, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, or Clark counties. At the state level, the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia corridor pretty much runs the state now, and they're working hard to turn it into Kalifornia North (and they're in a race with Portlandia to do it.) My in-laws lived there for almost 60 years - moved to AZ last year.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

User avatar
ZapThyCat
* * *
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Springfield area, MO
Contact:

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by ZapThyCat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 am

When it comes to rural areas, those that sacrificed city life to live there certainly don't want the city to come to them when times get bad in the city. I think it would be self-preservation to blow up bridges and take down the main routes out of cities to keep the urbanites in the cities. Mankind will be the biggest threat to you. Bugging out to the country means that you're stressing the local resources, you may think that there's room for you there, but not in the eyes of the locals that already claim those. They don't want you shooting "their" deer, polluting "their" favorite fishing places, picking "their" berries.

That being said, if you own your own spot on that island, you have a right to be there, and not want others coming to corrupt "your" island...
~Jarrod~
Image

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14250
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:45 am

It's not just for America or Canada. Happy to take their money in good times, European tourist area locals don't want rich city folks during Armageddon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ri ... d=msedgntp
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3227
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:32 pm

So I haven't updated on my end for a bit, but my scenario in the OP has developed a fair bit.

The ringleader in the Facebook posts I shared before got himself a roadblock, approved by the municipal office of the town, which is a native reserve¹. When I first saw this, the person made a boomerang video of him flipping through the stack of records being kept on everyone who came and went along the highway. I laughed to myself and thought, 'well that's a waste of everyone's time', and left it at that.

Today, the roadblock got a little more aggressive, and they've started denying passage to people. I was made aware of this when I saw a FB post from a woman asking ahead if there's a way to ensure passage, as going the long way around the roadblock would add 140km to her trip. Another person commented that they were allowed to travel one way to go to the bank, but denied on their return trip.

The grocery store in the same town is not allowing non-residents (of the town, not the island) to shop there, since about a week ago.

I just told my wife that we will not be returning to this town. We've been to the grocery store. We looked around a little auto parts shop and made note of the hardware store there in case the local store was out of something we needed. But if this is how they react during times of trouble, they don't need my business when I'm on the island next.

Since this roadblock has escalated today, I'm predicting this might pick up some broader news circuit if someone challenges the legalities.

¹ footnote because I don't mean to sound like a racial or political post. I simply don't know what kind of laws are exempt or superceded by being on a native reserve in Ontario, but I'm sure many things being done here are illegal and definitely put more people at risk.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 am

The roadblock ringleader doesn't happen to look like this does he ?

Image


:lol:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3227
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 am

So here's an article from the island paper a few weeks ago about why the swing bridge cannot be closed.

https://www.manitoulin.ca/swing-bridge- ... nd-access/

Here's an article on the escalated restrictions.

https://www.manitoulin.ca/effective-sat ... community/

And while I won't name the person who I shared screenshots of, here's an article from the local paper singing the praises of a young man who is an active volunteer in the community and a leading force in the organization of the check point.

https://www.manitoulin.ca/andrew-corbie ... tion-home/




So, tldr; the band chief claims this is an effort to make their community safer, even at the expense of the rest of the community.

There was a call on the Facebook page I follow for non-residents of the town to ask their municipal offices to try and talk down the community directors of M'chigeeng.

While the province is expected to announce their plan of how and when to reopen early this week, if there is not a deescalation soon, I'm wondering how long until the volunteers at the check point decide to arm themselves while on ... "Duty"? While we have lousy self defense laws in Canada, the way our firearm laws are written, there's very little stopping someone from carrying a firearm in public that is deemed "non-restricted", these include your average hunting rifles and shotguns, but also a fair number of black rifles or things which are even difficult to access in the states.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by raptor2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm

I am not familiar with Canadian laws regarding indiginous tribes but in the US, a recognized indian tribe is in many cases considered a sovereign state. They have the same power as a state government.

If the tribe decides to close off thier borders they basically have that right. Property ownership within tribal boundaries are subject to tribal laws and rules.

If your BOL requires acess through yeibal property you have 2 choices.
1. Make friends and get support of several tribal members.
2. Reasess the desirability of that property as BOL.

This reaction BTW is not localized to that area. We had the same thing happen in a LA fishing "resort area". It is a city and under LA law they had the right under a declared emergency to basically do what they want.

It sucks, but better to find out now than to find out when you have no other options.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

User avatar
BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3227
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:50 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm
I am not familiar with Canadian laws regarding indiginous tribes but in the US, a recognized indian tribe is in many cases considered a sovereign state. They have the same power as a state government.

If the tribe decides to close off thier borders they basically have that right. Property ownership within tribal boundaries are subject to tribal laws and rules.

If your BOL requires acess through yeibal property you have 2 choices.
1. Make friends and get support of several tribal members.
2. Reasess the desirability of that property as BOL.

This reaction BTW is not localized to that area. We had the same thing happen in a LA fishing "resort area". It is a city and under LA law they had the right under a declared emergency to basically do what they want.

It sucks, but better to find out now than to find out when you have no other options.
I don't know what exactly the laws state here either. It is definitely a unique spin on an issue many rural areas are experiencing these days. There are other reservations on the island, at least two which I know of, which have restricted access to their territory without impeding the roads that pass.

My wife and I have talked about our long term use of this property. Currently, it's not a useable BOL, we don't have the infrastructure there to be self sufficient for more than a few days. But if that were the goal, knowing what we know now, would we want to use it as such. Approaching the island by water or waiting for an ice road to freeze may not be an option in the zombie apocalypse.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

Javelineer
BANNED
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by Javelineer » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:06 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:50 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm
I am not familiar with Canadian laws regarding indiginous tribes but in the US, a recognized indian tribe is in many cases considered a sovereign state. They have the same power as a state government.

If the tribe decides to close off thier borders they basically have that right. Property ownership within tribal boundaries are subject to tribal laws and rules.

If your BOL requires acess through yeibal property you have 2 choices.
1. Make friends and get support of several tribal members.
2. Reasess the desirability of that property as BOL.

This reaction BTW is not localized to that area. We had the same thing happen in a LA fishing "resort area". It is a city and under LA law they had the right under a declared emergency to basically do what they want.

It sucks, but better to find out now than to find out when you have no other options.
I don't know what exactly the laws state here either. It is definitely a unique spin on an issue many rural areas are experiencing these days. There are other reservations on the island, at least two which I know of, which have restricted access to their territory without impeding the roads that pass.

My wife and I have talked about our long term use of this property. Currently, it's not a useable BOL, we don't have the infrastructure there to be self sufficient for more than a few days. But if that were the goal, knowing what we know now, would we want to use it as such. Approaching the island by water or waiting for an ice road to freeze may not be an option in the zombie apocalypse.
It's Canada, man. The law there states that the Natives can do whatever the Hell they want to do and the rest of the peasantry can suck their redacteds.

Having grown up in Alberta, it was always taken as a given in my family that any major social breakdown was going to have the First Nations going full-warlord at best and full-marauder at worst. That's probably a good idea on their part, but then it won't be so good for anyone around them who isn't valued by or useful to them, or who isn't part of a warlord/marauder group of equal or superior power.

(Not entirely sure if I can blame them. They tried being nice to the newcomers last time around, and look where it got them. :lol: )

Anyway, what would I do?

1. Is there any chance of marrying into a locally-important family?
2. Can I make myself objectively useful to the community?
(i.e. doctor/midwife, mechanic, farmer/veterinarian, architect/engineer)
3. Do I have the time and social skills to schmooze/ingratiate myself with local leadership?

If the answer to any of those is "no," then I would cut my losses and pick somewhere where I can more easily blend in.
Technomancer of the Vernal Wood
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 3&t=125226

10,322/48,000 words
21.5% finished

Javelineer
BANNED
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by Javelineer » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:37 pm

lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm
lailr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Just don't move South because you like the atmosphere, and then tell us how you used to do something "Up North" :roll:
"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
Well, there is a certain logic to it, if you look at it from their perspective. It's the logic of a plague of locusts, but it is a logic...

I mean, sure, they'll eventually destroy anything that makes the place they moved to any better than the place they came from, but it'll take time and they'll live well in whatever time it takes. And most of them are rich enough to move elsewhere once they've completely devastated their current location, so why shouldn't they?

Also, I think there's a lot more settler colonialism going on with some of these people than anyone wants to admit. You now have New Yorkers and Californians openly bragging about how their diasporas are working to liberalize states where large concentrations of them end up going, like Georgia and Texas. They actually think they have a duty to go forth and civilize the unenlightened savages, whether or not the savages want it.
Technomancer of the Vernal Wood
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 3&t=125226

10,322/48,000 words
21.5% finished

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by lailr » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:05 am

Javelineer wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:37 pm
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm

"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
Well, there is a certain logic to it, if you look at it from their perspective. It's the logic of a plague of locusts, but it is a logic...

I mean, sure, they'll eventually destroy anything that makes the place they moved to any better than the place they came from, but it'll take time and they'll live well in whatever time it takes. And most of them are rich enough to move elsewhere once they've completely devastated their current location, so why shouldn't they?

Also, I think there's a lot more settler colonialism going on with some of these people than anyone wants to admit. You now have New Yorkers and Californians openly bragging about how their diasporas are working to liberalize states where large concentrations of them end up going, like Georgia and Texas. They actually think they have a duty to go forth and civilize the unenlightened savages, whether or not the savages want it.
That's elitism of the worst kind, without the political words that come in front of it. The question is how to retain the regional values? How to combat the urban creep?

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by SCBrian » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:25 pm

lailr wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:05 am
Javelineer wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:37 pm
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm


This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours
Well, there is a certain logic to it, if you look at it from their perspective. It's the logic of a plague of locusts, but it is a logic...

I mean, sure, they'll eventually destroy anything that makes the place they moved to any better than the place they came from, but it'll take time and they'll live well in whatever time it takes. And most of them are rich enough to move elsewhere once they've completely devastated their current location, so why shouldn't they?

Also, I think there's a lot more settler colonialism going on with some of these people than anyone wants to admit. You now have New Yorkers and Californians openly bragging about how their diasporas are working to liberalize states where large concentrations of them end up going, like Georgia and Texas. They actually think they have a duty to go forth and civilize the unenlightened savages, whether or not the savages want it.
That's elitism of the worst kind, without the political words that come in front of it. The question is how to retain the regional values? How to combat the urban creep?
Well, we deep fry everything in order to up the odds of a heart attack on systems not adapted to the high fat content. ;)
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 pm

We sold our rural property in Utah last summer. Our rural property in KS has just been sold.

We got tired of our 'good neighbors' stealing everything not set in concrete, quite literally soon after each visit.

You leave preps at a site unattended, count on them being gone - sooner or later.

The book "Lucifer's Hammer' explores this theft/appropriation in some depth.

Not that I'm a Debbie Downer, just someone who has sen this (and taken the loss) more than once.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6472
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:13 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 pm
We sold our rural property in Utah last summer. Our rural property in KS has just been sold.

We got tired of our 'good neighbors' stealing everything not set in concrete, quite literally soon after each visit.

You leave preps at a site unattended, count on them being gone - sooner or later.

The book "Lucifer's Hammer' explores this theft/appropriation in some depth.

Not that I'm a Debbie Downer, just someone who has sen this (and taken the loss) more than once.
So, just leave the cabin (what-have) empty then?

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by raptor2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:23 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:13 pm
TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 pm
We sold our rural property in Utah last summer. Our rural property in KS has just been sold.

We got tired of our 'good neighbors' stealing everything not set in concrete, quite literally soon after each visit.

You leave preps at a site unattended, count on them being gone - sooner or later.

The book "Lucifer's Hammer' explores this theft/appropriation in some depth.

Not that I'm a Debbie Downer, just someone who has sen this (and taken the loss) more than once.
So, just leave the cabin (what-have) empty then?
I had a similar problem with property. I sold it. I found another location and bought it. I made a point of making contact with the nearby neighbors and going to the local church. I made a point of not being the deep pocket guy, but rather I worked with the local guys painting, cleaning up, mowing lawns with them in their pro - bono good deeds. I usually asked to do the grunt work the skilled folks did not want to do saying I had no skills but did have strong back.

I am still the outsider and will always be that but they do watch out for my place when I am not there and I have not had the theft problem.

It is not fast but if you develop a relationship and try to fit in it can work. Now this may not work if you have meth and crack dealers as neighbors. Druggies are everywhere.

That said you also need to spend time there to establish yourself.

BTW with the right property you can cache supplies easily out of sight.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 pm
We sold our rural property in Utah last summer. Our rural property in KS has just been sold.

We got tired of our 'good neighbors' stealing everything not set in concrete, quite literally soon after each visit.

You leave preps at a site unattended, count on them being gone - sooner or later.

The book "Lucifer's Hammer' explores this theft/appropriation in some depth.

Not that I'm a Debbie Downer, just someone who has sen this (and taken the loss) more than once.
You probably make a good case for an empty shelter with a hidden cellar, where such are possible. Or at least a shelter with only a few 'decoy goods'.

Certainly unfortunate that people can't just keep their hands to themselves.

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”