Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Figured this would go here.

Gotta admit first off, that Fallout New Vegas is what gave me this idea.

Orginally was planning on going with a more classic "Gas mask and duster" look ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R

But this reminds me of when I was doing the SCA and belonged to a Roman house and sorta brings me back to that.

Main idea behind this, will be for Burning Man (I may do the STALKER look also) and as just a badass costume. It only needs to LOOK functional, plastic over Kevlar (yes yes I know, but YOU know what I mean) but needs to have that scrounged/PAW/home made feeling to it.

This is mainly a thread to record the progress, gather ideas and input y'all may have.

Helmet
This will be based on Imperial Gallic Helmet
Mainly because I can modify the neck down far enough to hook straps up for the goggles and respirator.

-Molon gave me the idea of using an old baseball helmet for this. Cheap, easy to get and pretty much fits the bill.
-Coyote Pelt (or two) in the fashion of the Roman Vexillarius
-Right now I am leaning towards a 3M 6000 Series Half Facepiece Respirator
with the filters removed, and most likely modded with 1 or 2 hoses to a back unit

I do have a couple of surplus gasmasks about I could use
Israeli M15 Adult Gas Mask

and

Russian GP-5 Gas Mask

I do have to say, that thing is so fracking uncomfortable though... Might save it for the STALKER themed one.

For eye protection
I have a pair of ESS Land Ops

and

Some Wiley X CQC's left over

Body Armor

I have a few options here

I could do a chain mail shirt as I know how to make it and have the materials, but won't have that "PAW" feeling I'm going for. See the photo of the Vexillarius above.

So I think I'll go with a set of Lorica Segmentata

But of course, I'm not going to use highly polished steel or anything like that. But what materials could I possibly use?
I've brainstormed
-old tires (damn you Mad Max) cut into strips, but that bitch would be so heavy and uncomfortable
-metal (aluminum or steel) I could most likely age it enough to look PAW, but still seems a little weak
-plastic an old 55gallon PVP drum would net enough to make this I think

Anyone else have suggestions?

A third option is also a Muscled Chest Plate
I can get one in steal, or maybe...MAYBE be able to make one out of leather. But there is only so much I could do with it.
If anyone had any ideas on how to make one, but inline with the goals of this project I'd love to hear them.

More to come!

Last edited by Sckitzo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:51 am 

This thread is useless with only stock pix!
Can't wait to see what you got!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:53 am 

LOL

I thought at Burning Man, everyone went nekkid.... Or at least some of the site seem to 'focus' on that aspect.

Have fun, not for me - too many nights spent sleeping in the dirt in NV already......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 am 

You were in the SCA, make armor out of pickle-barrels and used mismatched football gear.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

EvilTOJ wrote:
You were in the SCA, make armor out of pickle-barrels and used mismatched football gear.

Old football gear came to mind, but while I am using the Legion forces from New Vegas as inspiration, I don't want to totally rip em off ya know?

But.. maybe the shoulder pads..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:24 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Use old street signs to make your Lorica Segmentata, and leave the paint on them, so people can see what they're made from. You can sometimes buy the old road signs at scrapyards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:00 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Mismatched sources for the lorica. I've seen chainmail done with pulltabs which might work well.

Going for a good tunic? Maybe make a utillitunic?

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Jeriah wrote:
Use old street signs to make your Lorica Segmentata, and leave the paint on them, so people can see what they're made from. You can sometimes buy the old road signs at scrapyards.

Hmm we used to use old street signs to make our SCA armor, we acquired em legally from the city (Cheyenne, Wyoming) but I'll keep my eyes open, I like that idea

Ad'lan wrote:
Mismatched sources for the lorica. I've seen chainmail done with pulltabs which might work well.

Going for a good tunic? Maybe make a utillitunic?

Hm utillitunic sounds interesting, as does the pull tab chainmail, which might work well for the "skirt" portion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:15 pm 

I would avoid using old tires just because they are difficult to cut!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:34 pm 

Pop tab chain mail: http://www.instructables.com/id/Genuine-chainmaille-from-pop-tabs/

Football pads sounds like a good idea, maybe a duster/dustmop for the helmet's crest?

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:10 pm 

I have nothing useful to add, but I'm totally looking forward to pictures :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:09 pm 

I was browsing the sale/closeout items on Museum Replicas, and they've got their Roman Trooper Helmet on sale:
https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-645-roman-troopers-helmet.aspx

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

KentsOkay wrote:
Pop tab chain mail: http://www.instructables.com/id/Genuine-chainmaille-from-pop-tabs/

Football pads sounds like a good idea, maybe a duster/dustmop for the helmet's crest?

Thanks for that link, Ill start saving my pop tops and try and small batch.

fungusmunkey wrote:
I would avoid using old tires just because they are difficult to cut!

I was wondering how the hell I was going to cut it...

KentsOkay wrote:
I was browsing the sale/closeout items on Museum Replicas, and they've got their Roman Trooper Helmet on sale:
https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-645-roman-troopers-helmet.aspx

Ohh pretty, to pretty for Burning Man though, would use it if I was still doing SCA.

Also, if anyone has or stumbles upon plans for building a Lorica, please hook a brother up!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 pm 

Sckitzo wrote:
Also, if anyone has or stumbles upon plans for building a Lorica, please hook a brother up!

Not that this required heavy google fu or anything, but this site looked pretty in-depth.

Linky to the Goodness

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:01 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

TafkanX wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:

Not that this required heavy google fu or anything, but this site looked pretty in-depth.

Linky to the Goodness

See look you are helping!

I haven't had time to sit and start digging up recources yet, just what I get done at work when not on patrol. Quick glance this should work fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Well, I actually got the parts to start working on it a little bit, need to cut the jaw piece off the helmet still, then paint it, I'll be running tubes off each side of the respirator to a tank attached to the back of the helmet. Of course I'll be sanding off the logos from the mask.

By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 am 

Quote:
I was wondering how the hell I was going to cut it...

IIRC i´ve read that angle grinders work well as they have no problems cutting through the steel belt.

It´ll probably stink like hell from the hot rubber so do it outside....! or use the gas mask

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:55 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Cut the jaw off today, and though the pictures don't show it, ground off the 3M and other crap on the mask. I cut a bit to much off the helmet off I think, so that is going to take some figuring out, as well as how I plan on hooking it to the helmet but at least it's progress!

By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:00 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Last year when 001 went to Dragoncon with the National Board to do our Zomie Survival Seminar, we made post-apoc costumes. One of the guys made armor out of old license plates.

I had pauldrons made out of aluminum treadplate.

They both looked outstanding.

I also had a drink-dispensing flamethrower made out of an ALICE frame, a bike pump, and old fire extinguisher, and a bug sprayer.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:41 am 

I have old license plates and some road signs in my metal junk pile if you want them for metal armor or some such.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Sckitzo wrote:
Cut the jaw off today, and though the pictures don't show it, ground off the 3M and other crap on the mask. I cut a bit to much off the helmet off I think, so that is going to take some figuring out, as well as how I plan on hooking it to the helmet but at least it's progress!

Do it the way everything will be done in the PAW.

Duct Tape and hope.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm 

This is a very cool idea!

For the chest plate, figured anything out? You would only need to have the look of metal or leather, not actually have it. So you should think in terms of what's light and easy to mould or sculpt, sand down, paint, etc. What about sintra/forex? I haev seen that used a lot in the armor and costuming community. I myself have never made a costume and don't know much about it but I used to have a bunch of friends that made Darth Vader armor. If memory serves that used PVC and sintra/forex stuff and cardboard and could get away with it with painting and polishing the heck out of the stuff. You could not tell it even close up that it was not a huge, heavy chunk of chest armor and helmet. Also, it not being heavy and bulky meant they didn't melt so fast while out in the summer doing children's events and movie premieres.

You should go to the hobby store and see what they have. Look up the sintra and forex stuff, you need some tools to sculpt and cut the stuff but lorica segmentata should not be too difficult to put together even if you were just using heavy duty card stock you wet and remoulded. You could do the same with some heavy card stock and some of that leather-looking cover stuff from the hobby place, maybe? Just get some dark brow shoe polish and some brass fasteners to make "the look".

This Squidoo how-to tells you how to do it with card stock and gives a link to Armour Archive that has templates you can print and put together.

Neat project!

ETA: Just ran across a tip that says heavy card stock/foam board can be used with felt soaked in glue to "hold" and keep a shape when it dries. Might not be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

fungusmunkey wrote:
I have old license plates and some road signs in my metal junk pile if you want them for metal armor or some such.

Very much so! I'll be coming down to Phx next week, later this week it looks like. BTW those shoes fit, but dear god are they uncomfortable :lol:
crypto wrote:
Last year when 001 went to Dragoncon with the National Board to do our Zomie Survival Seminar, we made post-apoc costumes. One of the guys made armor out of old license plates.

I had pauldrons made out of aluminum treadplate.

They both looked outstanding.

I also had a drink-dispensing flamethrower made out of an ALICE frame, a bike pump, and old fire extinguisher, and a bug sprayer.

I may have to steal that flamethrower idea, and use it to give out water to people.

Ad'lan wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:

Thought about duct tape, but it gets so ungodful hot here it would melt within a day or two, thinking about plasti card.

basm wrote:
This is a very cool idea!

For the chest plate, figured anything out? You would only need to have the look of metal or leather, not actually have it. So you should think in terms of what's light and easy to mould or sculpt, sand down, paint, etc. What about sintra/forex? I haev seen that used a lot in the armor and costuming community. I myself have never made a costume and don't know much about it but I used to have a bunch of friends that made Darth Vader armor. If memory serves that used PVC and sintra/forex stuff and cardboard and could get away with it with painting and polishing the heck out of the stuff. You could not tell it even close up that it was not a huge, heavy chunk of chest armor and helmet. Also, it not being heavy and bulky meant they didn't melt so fast while out in the summer doing children's events and movie premieres.

You should go to the hobby store and see what they have. Look up the sintra and forex stuff, you need some tools to sculpt and cut the stuff but lorica segmentata should not be too difficult to put together even if you were just using heavy duty card stock you wet and remoulded. You could do the same with some heavy card stock and some of that leather-looking cover stuff from the hobby place, maybe? Just get some dark brow shoe polish and some brass fasteners to make "the look".

This Squidoo how-to tells you how to do it with card stock and gives a link to Armour Archive that has templates you can print and put together.

Neat project!

ETA: Just ran across a tip that says heavy card stock/foam board can be used with felt soaked in glue to "hold" and keep a shape when it dries. Might not be a bad idea.

Some damn good info thanks man, right now leaning towards using the old road signs and license plates (thanks to crypto) but that forex stuff may be perfect for the underpieces.

Do it the way everything will be done in the PAW.

Duct Tape and hope.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I did some painting and hooked the mask up, the clips don't want to stay glued, even using a shit ton of both Guerrilla Glue and super glue. Nor does the rubber on the mask stay painted, it was black but it all wiped off, maybe to use sharpie on it or something.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next