Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
Figured this would go here.

Gotta admit first off, that Fallout New Vegas is what gave me this idea.

Orginally was planning on going with a more classic "Gas mask and duster" look ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R

But this reminds me of when I was doing the SCA and belonged to a Roman house and sorta brings me back to that.

Main idea behind this, will be for Burning Man (I may do the STALKER look also) and as just a badass costume. It only needs to LOOK functional, plastic over Kevlar (yes yes I know, but YOU know what I mean) but needs to have that scrounged/PAW/home made feeling to it.

This is mainly a thread to record the progress, gather ideas and input y'all may have.

Helmet
This will be based on Imperial Gallic Helmet
Image
Mainly because I can modify the neck down far enough to hook straps up for the goggles and respirator.

-Molon gave me the idea of using an old baseball helmet for this. Cheap, easy to get and pretty much fits the bill.
-Coyote Pelt (or two) in the fashion of the Roman Vexillarius
Image
-Right now I am leaning towards a 3M 6000 Series Half Facepiece Respirator
with the filters removed, and most likely modded with 1 or 2 hoses to a back unit
Image

I do have a couple of surplus gasmasks about I could use
Image
Israeli M15 Adult Gas Mask

and

Image
Russian GP-5 Gas Mask

I do have to say, that thing is so fracking uncomfortable though... Might save it for the STALKER themed one.

For eye protection
I have a pair of ESS Land Ops
Image

and

Some Wiley X CQC's left over
Image

Body Armor

I have a few options here

I could do a chain mail shirt as I know how to make it and have the materials, but won't have that "PAW" feeling I'm going for. See the photo of the Vexillarius above.

So I think I'll go with a set of Lorica Segmentata
Image

But of course, I'm not going to use highly polished steel or anything like that. But what materials could I possibly use?
I've brainstormed
-old tires (damn you Mad Max) cut into strips, but that bitch would be so heavy and uncomfortable
-metal (aluminum or steel) I could most likely age it enough to look PAW, but still seems a little weak
-plastic an old 55gallon PVP drum would net enough to make this I think

Anyone else have suggestions?

A third option is also a Muscled Chest Plate
I can get one in steal, or maybe...MAYBE be able to make one out of leather. But there is only so much I could do with it.
Image
If anyone had any ideas on how to make one, but inline with the goals of this project I'd love to hear them.


More to come!

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Last edited by Sckitzo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:51 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:25 pm
Posts: 1446
Location: Tucson, AZ
This thread is useless with only stock pix!
Can't wait to see what you got!

_________________
Official Meat World Spice Merchant
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:53 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Posts: 6581
LOL

I thought at Burning Man, everyone went nekkid.... Or at least some of the site seem to 'focus' on that aspect.

Have fun, not for me - too many nights spent sleeping in the dirt in NV already......

_________________
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
My books, some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:08 am
Posts: 728
Location: Portland, OR
You were in the SCA, make armor out of pickle-barrels and used mismatched football gear.

_________________
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm just going to surround my house with outward facing treadmills.
I should be fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
EvilTOJ wrote:
You were in the SCA, make armor out of pickle-barrels and used mismatched football gear.


Old football gear came to mind, but while I am using the Legion forces from New Vegas as inspiration, I don't want to totally rip em off ya know?

But.. maybe the shoulder pads..

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:24 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 18412
Location: Chicago, IL
Use old street signs to make your Lorica Segmentata, and leave the paint on them, so people can see what they're made from. You can sometimes buy the old road signs at scrapyards.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 am
Posts: 5335
Location: BC Canada
Mismatched sources for the lorica. I've seen chainmail done with pulltabs which might work well.

Going for a good tunic? Maybe make a utillitunic?

_________________
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
Jeriah wrote:
Use old street signs to make your Lorica Segmentata, and leave the paint on them, so people can see what they're made from. You can sometimes buy the old road signs at scrapyards.


Hmm we used to use old street signs to make our SCA armor, we acquired em legally from the city (Cheyenne, Wyoming) but I'll keep my eyes open, I like that idea

Ad'lan wrote:
Mismatched sources for the lorica. I've seen chainmail done with pulltabs which might work well.

Going for a good tunic? Maybe make a utillitunic?


Hm utillitunic sounds interesting, as does the pull tab chainmail, which might work well for the "skirt" portion

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:15 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm
Posts: 449
I would avoid using old tires just because they are difficult to cut!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:34 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 3207
Location: Texas
Pop tab chain mail: http://www.instructables.com/id/Genuine-chainmaille-from-pop-tabs/

Football pads sounds like a good idea, maybe a duster/dustmop for the helmet's crest?

_________________

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:10 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:34 am
Posts: 540
Location: Texas
I have nothing useful to add, but I'm totally looking forward to pictures :D

_________________
Taf's EDC
No longer in California but still a Cali boy at heart.
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:09 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 3207
Location: Texas
I was browsing the sale/closeout items on Museum Replicas, and they've got their Roman Trooper Helmet on sale:
https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-645-roman-troopers-helmet.aspx

_________________

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
KentsOkay wrote:
Pop tab chain mail: http://www.instructables.com/id/Genuine-chainmaille-from-pop-tabs/

Football pads sounds like a good idea, maybe a duster/dustmop for the helmet's crest?


Thanks for that link, Ill start saving my pop tops and try and small batch.

fungusmunkey wrote:
I would avoid using old tires just because they are difficult to cut!

I was wondering how the hell I was going to cut it...

KentsOkay wrote:
I was browsing the sale/closeout items on Museum Replicas, and they've got their Roman Trooper Helmet on sale:
https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-645-roman-troopers-helmet.aspx


Ohh pretty, to pretty for Burning Man though, would use it if I was still doing SCA.


Also, if anyone has or stumbles upon plans for building a Lorica, please hook a brother up!

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:34 am
Posts: 540
Location: Texas
Sckitzo wrote:
Also, if anyone has or stumbles upon plans for building a Lorica, please hook a brother up!


Not that this required heavy google fu or anything, but this site looked pretty in-depth.

Linky to the Goodness

_________________
Taf's EDC
No longer in California but still a Cali boy at heart.
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:01 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
TafkanX wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:
Also, if anyone has or stumbles upon plans for building a Lorica, please hook a brother up!


Not that this required heavy google fu or anything, but this site looked pretty in-depth.

Linky to the Goodness


See look you are helping!

I haven't had time to sit and start digging up recources yet, just what I get done at work when not on patrol. Quick glance this should work fine.

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
Well, I actually got the parts to start working on it a little bit, need to cut the jaw piece off the helmet still, then paint it, I'll be running tubes off each side of the respirator to a tank attached to the back of the helmet. Of course I'll be sanding off the logos from the mask.

Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:37 am
Posts: 1341
Location: Austria
Quote:
I was wondering how the hell I was going to cut it...


IIRC i´ve read that angle grinders work well as they have no problems cutting through the steel belt.

It´ll probably stink like hell from the hot rubber so do it outside....! or use the gas mask


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:55 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
Cut the jaw off today, and though the pictures don't show it, ground off the 3M and other crap on the mask. I cut a bit to much off the helmet off I think, so that is going to take some figuring out, as well as how I plan on hooking it to the helmet but at least it's progress!

Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05
Image
By sckitzo at 2011-06-05

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:00 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 16027
Location: City of Saint Louis
Last year when 001 went to Dragoncon with the National Board to do our Zomie Survival Seminar, we made post-apoc costumes. One of the guys made armor out of old license plates.

I had pauldrons made out of aluminum treadplate.

They both looked outstanding.


I also had a drink-dispensing flamethrower made out of an ALICE frame, a bike pump, and old fire extinguisher, and a bug sprayer.

_________________
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:41 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm
Posts: 449
I have old license plates and some road signs in my metal junk pile if you want them for metal armor or some such.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 pm 
Offline
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 am
Posts: 5335
Location: BC Canada
Sckitzo wrote:
Cut the jaw off today, and though the pictures don't show it, ground off the 3M and other crap on the mask. I cut a bit to much off the helmet off I think, so that is going to take some figuring out, as well as how I plan on hooking it to the helmet but at least it's progress!


Do it the way everything will be done in the PAW.

Duct Tape and hope.

_________________
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 479
Location: Boston
This is a very cool idea!

For the chest plate, figured anything out? You would only need to have the look of metal or leather, not actually have it. So you should think in terms of what's light and easy to mould or sculpt, sand down, paint, etc. What about sintra/forex? I haev seen that used a lot in the armor and costuming community. I myself have never made a costume and don't know much about it but I used to have a bunch of friends that made Darth Vader armor. If memory serves that used PVC and sintra/forex stuff and cardboard and could get away with it with painting and polishing the heck out of the stuff. You could not tell it even close up that it was not a huge, heavy chunk of chest armor and helmet. Also, it not being heavy and bulky meant they didn't melt so fast while out in the summer doing children's events and movie premieres.

You should go to the hobby store and see what they have. Look up the sintra and forex stuff, you need some tools to sculpt and cut the stuff but lorica segmentata should not be too difficult to put together even if you were just using heavy duty card stock you wet and remoulded. You could do the same with some heavy card stock and some of that leather-looking cover stuff from the hobby place, maybe? Just get some dark brow shoe polish and some brass fasteners to make "the look".

This Squidoo how-to tells you how to do it with card stock and gives a link to Armour Archive that has templates you can print and put together.

Neat project!

ETA: Just ran across a tip that says heavy card stock/foam board can be used with felt soaked in glue to "hold" and keep a shape when it dries. Might not be a bad idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
fungusmunkey wrote:
I have old license plates and some road signs in my metal junk pile if you want them for metal armor or some such.


Very much so! I'll be coming down to Phx next week, later this week it looks like. BTW those shoes fit, but dear god are they uncomfortable :lol:
crypto wrote:
Last year when 001 went to Dragoncon with the National Board to do our Zomie Survival Seminar, we made post-apoc costumes. One of the guys made armor out of old license plates.

I had pauldrons made out of aluminum treadplate.

They both looked outstanding.


I also had a drink-dispensing flamethrower made out of an ALICE frame, a bike pump, and old fire extinguisher, and a bug sprayer.


I may have to steal that flamethrower idea, and use it to give out water to people.

Ad'lan wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:
Cut the jaw off today, and though the pictures don't show it, ground off the 3M and other crap on the mask. I cut a bit to much off the helmet off I think, so that is going to take some figuring out, as well as how I plan on hooking it to the helmet but at least it's progress!


Thought about duct tape, but it gets so ungodful hot here it would melt within a day or two, thinking about plasti card.

basm wrote:
This is a very cool idea!

For the chest plate, figured anything out? You would only need to have the look of metal or leather, not actually have it. So you should think in terms of what's light and easy to mould or sculpt, sand down, paint, etc. What about sintra/forex? I haev seen that used a lot in the armor and costuming community. I myself have never made a costume and don't know much about it but I used to have a bunch of friends that made Darth Vader armor. If memory serves that used PVC and sintra/forex stuff and cardboard and could get away with it with painting and polishing the heck out of the stuff. You could not tell it even close up that it was not a huge, heavy chunk of chest armor and helmet. Also, it not being heavy and bulky meant they didn't melt so fast while out in the summer doing children's events and movie premieres.

You should go to the hobby store and see what they have. Look up the sintra and forex stuff, you need some tools to sculpt and cut the stuff but lorica segmentata should not be too difficult to put together even if you were just using heavy duty card stock you wet and remoulded. You could do the same with some heavy card stock and some of that leather-looking cover stuff from the hobby place, maybe? Just get some dark brow shoe polish and some brass fasteners to make "the look".

This Squidoo how-to tells you how to do it with card stock and gives a link to Armour Archive that has templates you can print and put together.

Neat project!

ETA: Just ran across a tip that says heavy card stock/foam board can be used with felt soaked in glue to "hold" and keep a shape when it dries. Might not be a bad idea.


Some damn good info thanks man, right now leaning towards using the old road signs and license plates (thanks to crypto) but that forex stuff may be perfect for the underpieces.

Do it the way everything will be done in the PAW.

Duct Tape and hope.[/quote]

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 5567
Location: Tucson, AZ
I did some painting and hooked the mask up, the clips don't want to stay glued, even using a shit ton of both Guerrilla Glue and super glue. Nor does the rubber on the mask stay painted, it was black but it all wiped off, maybe to use sharpie on it or something.

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

_________________
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Arizona Chapter Board | Arizona Chapter Google Map |Arizona Chapter Distro List
BOB | Iron Dog Armory - Etsy (Post Apocalyptic Costumes & Props)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group