Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cancelling Membership
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:17 am 

How does one delete one's profile? I'm leaving Zombie Squad, but I don't know how to erase my profile.

Ponyboy314

"If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and there's a straw, there it is, that's a straw...and my straw reaches...acrosssssssss the room, and begins to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! SLURRRP! I DRINK IT UP!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Fare thee well, Ponyboy. We hardly knew ye.....

Last edited by majorhavoc on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I have chosen to leave other sites before. Typically, you just quit logging on. You become a dormant account.

If you feel the need to do more, remove whatever personal information you have from your profile, change the password to something long, complex, and impossible to remember, then throw away any copies of the password.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

cv66er wrote:
remove whatever personal information you have from your profile, change the password to something long, complex, and impossible to remember, then throw away any copies of the password.

I think we just defined cyber-suicide.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

If you want to really get hard core, you can edit every post you ever made and set it to "." or something.

But, most people just don't come back.

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Your leaving?

Fuck.

Good luck and thanks for the story's.

MOD wrote:
The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Quote:
Official warning for posting a picture of himself, wearing a unicorn mask, while being blown by two naked women. You can't technically see any Parts, but it's pretty obvious what's going on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

majorhavoc wrote:
cv66er wrote:
remove whatever personal information you have from your profile, change the password to something long, complex, and impossible to remember, then throw away any copies of the password.

I think we just defined cyber-suicide.

Pretty much. I used that method at a site that really makes me appreciate the no religion/politics rule here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:56 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:
If you want to really get hard core, you can edit every post you ever made and set it to "." or something.

But, most people just don't come back.

Change 834 posts (835, as of this one...)? Now THAT'S hardcore...

"If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and there's a straw, there it is, that's a straw...and my straw reaches...acrosssssssss the room, and begins to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! SLURRRP! I DRINK IT UP!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 pm 

is nobody going to ask "why are you leaving"?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

universal_exports wrote:

No because in these kind of threads either
1. He already has or doesn't want to
or
2. That's exactly the kind of attention they're looking for.

I'm assuming the former in the OP's case. He's been here too long to be the latter.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 pm 

You were great in the outsiders.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:18 am 

Czechnology wrote:
universal_exports wrote:

No because in these kind of threads either
1. He already has or doesn't want to
or
2. That's exactly the kind of attention they're looking for.

I'm assuming the former in the OP's case. He's been here too long to be the latter.

Actually, it's because for the last few years, my presence here has been more or less defined by my fiction, and it got to the point where I rarely ever posted anything apart from a story. I've pretty much shot my bolt with that. I don't think I have anything else that could bloom into another full length story, so...

I guess if we want to be dramatic about it..."My work here is done..."

But what I was essentially doing on Zombie Squad was spinning yarns about zombies, and I think I'm done doing that.

And after that, it might be time to bow out and move on, or at least that's how it seems to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Sorry to hear that man, I appreciated your yarns. I hope you have success wherever you end up writing.

Kommander wrote:
So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:46 am 

Usually people leave online forums by just fading off.
They stop posting, stop logging in...
Their posts sink away into the obscurity of archives if they haven't been stickied.

Eventually years down the line and a sufficient number of major upgrades to the forum software or a migration to some other forum architecture will cause their account to be purged or archived.

The interest at that point is that the ex-member's writings, their contribution to past conversations and discussions, the body of their work on the forum becomes part of a sort of historical record.
One day, if the forum survives long enough, there will be people very interested in pouring over what was said years, perhaps even decades earlier.
When people leaving a community choose to erase the record of their time within that community, it destroys a little bit of that history, it leaves only the void of people responding to posts that are no longer there.

As someone who has been participating in online communities for the better part of 30 years I believe quite strongly that erasing forum data detracts just a little bit from the sum total knowledge of humanity. It is akin to destroying books.

I have not yet read any of the Fiction section of this forum as I am relatively new here, but I hope to get to it at some point and I would be sad to find your work here gone.
I don't know if it was your intention to remove all trace of yourself from this place, but if that was your plan I would urge you to reconsider.

After such a long time here, why not simply leave your account active and take a break? Who knows? After a few years you may have new zombies to write about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 am 

I almost never visit ZS anymore. For the past year or whatever I came back solely for your fiction so I don't know what I'll do now. :(

You haven't logged on in two weeks so I don't know if you'll ever see this post or these forums ever again, but your stories meant a great deal to me. I hope you will come back to write here one day or maybe even to post if you plan to have any more books published :)

You will be missed, sir.

Finch wrote:
i don't keep sharp things near me when my wiener is out of my pants

-Finch, you are a funny man.

Post subject: Cancelling Membership
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 am 

I'm sad to see you go, your stories ( and I know that's why you want to leave) have been a great read. I hope you pop up eventually and give us some more great reads!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm 

I will be sad to see you go. I have very much enjoyed your stories. I just got my wife to start reading your stuff. Best of luck to you.