Mass Blackouts in California

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Mass Blackouts in California

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 am

Survival Lessons From A California Fire Evacuee

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/surviv ... re-evacuee

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:10 am

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm
Please don't shoot the linemen....

CNN - PG&E is asking customers frustrated by power shutoffs not to target its employees

As California utility Pacific Gas and Electric continues to face criticism for multiple planned power shutoffs that left thousands of customers in the dark last month, the company is asking the public not to take their frustration out on PG&E employees.

Some PG&E employees have received death threats in response to the shutoffs, PG&E CEO Bill Johnson said Wednesday.

"Our employees in the field have repeatedly been the targets of misguided attacks. Not just verbal abuse, but threats on their lives," Johnson said. "One was assaulted after being cornered in his vehicle. Several have been shot at."

"They are there to help turn (power) back on. And if you do something that makes them feel unsafe, they are instructed to stop what they are doing and stand down," Johnson said.
After a storm the linemen in my area are welcomed and cheered. But then i guess if they are there to turn off power whether at a home or for 10,000 people the reception may be different.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:10 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:10 am
After a storm the linemen in my area are welcomed and cheered. But then i guess if they are there to turn off power whether at a home or for 10,000 people the reception may be different.
We do get cussed, threatened with ass whoopins', and have the occasional gun brandished....especially the Right-Of-Way crews who trim the tree limbs back from the lines and the maintenance & inspection Line crews.

But so far, the only time I've ever had to call a LEO was back during Hurricane Ivan. Late one night a bunch of us, along with several out-of-town crews, were working down on the bay, when several National Guardsmen showed up and said we had to leave because there was a 7pm curfew. I had to get our dispatcher to call the Sheriff's dept. and send a Deputy down there to explain to the young Butterbar that power crews were exempt from the curfew, and to expect to see us out working from 6AM to midnight.

ETA: I've worked a couple of storms in Acadiana, where the people were super cool and feed us well. I've also worked in the Florida parishes, where the locals stole the chainsaws and ice chests off of our trucks. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:03 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:17 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:06 pm
For instance my house in town is elevated and the lowest sewer cleanout is near the street. My plan to deal with this is to simply remove the cover and allow the sewerage to drain there if there is a lift pump failure and problem.
That was certainly the solution in Iraq.

That and Cholera.
Yep. But short term it beats having the neighborhood sewerage back up into the house. That is what happens when lift stations fail. Sewerage finds its own level and if you are low point in the system. All that sewerage comes to visit.
Nearly everything in that article angers me . If ignorance is bliss , then stupidity is a virtue
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:51 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am
More to the point of this board - 100s of thousands have been forced to evacuate - and many of the hotels used in the past for temporary refuge are behind the 'red (evacuation) line.'

I've not seen any stories of shelters being set up - perhaps owing to he fear that the massive "homeless' population living in the AO would gravitate to better pickings?

Economic losses from lost wages of the evacuees are going to have a massive impact in both the near term and future.

And so - the question arises for board members - have you thought of this? Have you considered a Plan B in case your primary place to take refuge is suddenly unavailable? What plans do you have for short term loss of wages owing to not being able to work from fire, power/utility loss or other workplace disruption?

I have to wonder on the impact of feeding these 100s of thousands displaced by the fires.

Also - If PG&E tanks, the impact outside of SoCal will be significant
https://www.nationwide.com/loss-of-income-insurance.jsp

https://www.iii.org/article/how-can-i-i ... oss-income

FEMA has "assistance" ($), if you don't die of old age before it arrives. A look at commercial insurance offering costs nothing and may be affordable - take the time to research - it's your life that will be put in the tank otherwise...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:51 pm
TacAir wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am
More to the point of this board - 100s of thousands have been forced to evacuate - and many of the hotels used in the past for temporary refuge are behind the 'red (evacuation) line.'

I've not seen any stories of shelters being set up - perhaps owing to he fear that the massive "homeless' population living in the AO would gravitate to better pickings?

Economic losses from lost wages of the evacuees are going to have a massive impact in both the near term and future.

And so - the question arises for board members - have you thought of this? Have you considered a Plan B in case your primary place to take refuge is suddenly unavailable? What plans do you have for short term loss of wages owing to not being able to work from fire, power/utility loss or other workplace disruption?

I have to wonder on the impact of feeding these 100s of thousands displaced by the fires.

Also - If PG&E tanks, the impact outside of SoCal will be significant
https://www.nationwide.com/loss-of-income-insurance.jsp

https://www.iii.org/article/how-can-i-i ... oss-income

FEMA has "assistance" ($), if you don't die of old age before it arrives. A look at commercial insurance offering costs nothing and may be affordable - take the time to research - it's your life that will be put in the tank otherwise...
@ nationwide.com: This product is for business owners.

@ iii.com - various forms of disability coverages. It's estimated that 25% of working adult become disabled before age 65.

All of these coverages are good ideas, if they will work for you as you need them to. Remember - only you can prevent forest.. know your situation.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”