It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Different Type Of Zombie
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:13 am 

Hello all,
I may have missed this in previous listings but I was wondering of the creation of zombies. I know most tv shows and movies have their little spat. But raised in the county out in the mountains of North Carolina Rabies was one of the worst things contracted to my coon hunting dogs.
I just wanted to see if anyone might be like minded as me on that a zombie out break might be a massive epidemic of human rabies. Now I know that I am not doctor or scientist, just a dumb country boy but just maybe it could happen...

As always, welcome to any and all response

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/1001027-rabies-influenza-zombie-virus-science/

Quote:
"If a rabies virus can mutate fast enough, it could cause infection within an hour or a few hours. That's entirely plausible," Andreansky said.

But for the rabies virus to trigger a zombie pandemic like in the movies, it would also have to be much more contagious.

Humans typically catch rabies after being bitten by an infected animal, usually a dog—and the infection usually stops there.

. . . . . . .

A faster mode of transmission would be through the air, which is how the influenza virus spreads.

"All rabies has to do is go airborne, and you have the rage virus" like in 28 Days Later, Max Mogk, head of the Zombie Research Society, says in the documentary. The international nonprofit is devoted to "raising the level of zombie scholarship in the Arts and Sciences," according to their website.

To be transmitted by air, rabies would have to "borrow" traits from another virus, such as influenza.

Different forms, or strains, of the same virus can swap pieces of genetic code through processes called reassortment or recombination, said Elankumaran Subbiah, a virologist at Virginia Tech who was not involved in the documentary.

But unrelated viruses simply do not hybridize in nature, Subbiah told National Geographic News.

Likewise, it's scientifically unheard of for two radically different viruses such as rabies and influenza to borrow traits, he said.

"They're too different. They cannot share genetic information. Viruses assemble only parts that belong to them, and they don't mix and match from different families."

Engineered Zombie Virus Possible?

It's theoretically possible—though extremely difficult—to create a hybrid rabies-influenza virus using modern genetic-engineering techniques, the University of Miami's Andreansky said.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:27 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:32 am 

besides 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later, the Quarantine movies were about a genetically engineered strain of rabies that created zombies.

(not as good as the info proivided by majorhavoc but worth a watch)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:42 am 

Or they could even be like the Zombies on Poultrygeist.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2