Are you fit enough?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

L1Z4RD

Re: Are you fit enough?

Post by L1Z4RD » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:51 am

I don't know how to swim :-(

On another note, I have a physical scheduled on monday. I hope to find out if I'm fit enough to be a firefighter. :roll:
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Manovv

Post by Manovv » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm ashamed to admit, but I'm not nearly fit enough... :(

Malleolus

Post by Malleolus » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Depending on the speed of the zombie(s) I'll be good up to a point. If we're talking at full gallop maybe 3-5mph zombie(s) I'm good because I can chug all day long with a load. If we're talking consistently moving 8+ mph zombies (28 days/weeks) heck no, but at the same time there'll be few people out there who can sustain that speed. Now, with that said, I can sprint like the devil's after me, but I can't sustain a run worth a crap. I'm a stand my ground type anyway, and if I'm going to do something to attract a hoard of zombie's, you bet I'm gonna have a secure means of getting my tail outta dodge. I'm a blacksmith, so I can smash heads all day long, but you won't see me running save the most dire circumstances.

Basically, I can stand my ground but I'm about as fit as a hippo when it comes to running.
Dare you not mettle
in the affairs of dragons...
for you are crunchy and taste like chicken...
and come prepackaged with ketchup.

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Got my fitness stats checked today. (I'm sure they're approximations since it was done at a nutrition shop)

Total weight: 293 lbs
Body Fat: 32%
Muscle mass: 190 lbs
Bone mass: 9.8 lbs

Not great, but not bad. I definitely need to increase my cardio. I do it everyday, but I guess I'll up the ante. I'm thinking of cutting back on the weights a tad.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Sooo... I'm down from 325 to 275...... been running at least 2 mile a day... so in response, I feel like I'm fitter than anytime since I've been in the service

EChryst

Post by EChryst » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 pm

This is good to see fellas.

Bigger, faster, stronger.

Zombies. Tangos.

Whatever your motivation... keep it going! Progress or death.... you know?

MandoMan7

Post by MandoMan7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 am

fun fact: you lose weight in Afganistan. PERFECT DIET!!!
Semper Fi and all that moto shit..................................

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 am

lailr wrote:Sooo... I'm down from 325 to 275...... been running at least 2 mile a day... so in response, I feel like I'm fitter than anytime since I've been in the service

50# is no joke! Good for you, keep it up!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Freak

Post by Freak » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm fat, I can't run worth a shiz, and I'm lazy to boot. I'm a professinal driver, not runner. I have a bob that will be powered by propane or natural gas, in remote areas this should be easier to come by than diesel or gasoline in the paw. I have plans to keep my vehicles mobile, gaskits, synthetic oil and even a spare motor kept in a tempature controlled environment. I'll be armed to the teeth and I have ammo stockpiled, I'll be alright. Now I just need a bunker.

FYI I'm 6' and 290 lbs, lots of fat, lots of muscle.
I will ask your advice... Ill even take it into careful consideration... but as we all know, in the end I will go my own stubborn way.

Sorry, being a smartass is my nature...
The Ghoul wrote: Oh, god. I can smell the Chuck Norris jokes coming.....

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Let's not forget RULE # 1!

I'm encouraged to see all the forum participants that have lost weight and/or are now in great shape. I've also found that it is harder to loose those pounds as I age. Don't know where to start? Start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

Charra

Post by Charra » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:26 pm

I should be, I run every day, my legs are pretty muscular and I can carry more weight further than most people with far less fatigue.

Not so much on the arms, but I just don't have the time to work on them.

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Charra wrote:I should be, I run every day, my legs are pretty muscular and I can carry more weight further than most people with far less fatigue.

Not so much on the arms, but I just don't have the time to work on them.
Push ups and pullups will help with the arms, chest and back strength. Just a few minutes every other day.

Keep up the good work.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.

HatchetSurvivalist15
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead, and the complete season 1 of The Walking Dead.

Post by HatchetSurvivalist15 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Im still in highschool and im very small lol... im 5'3"... 110 lbs... can bench max at 135 lbs... can max at squat at 175 lbs... 8% body fat... can run two miles in 11:15... and i have grown up in the sticks so i know how to somewhat fight and i am very stubborn so ill probably stay and fight.
BLADES DONT NEED RELOADING

nill

Post by nill » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:39 am

I don't have any chronic problems or such, so that's a start. My only problem is being out of shape, but if i can survive the couple of first weeks to a month, i would have been lost quite much fat and developed some muscles working all day, everyday just to stay alive. At least i could ration food to much smaller rations at the very beginning.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Post by CarlosSpiceyWeiner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 am

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/getfit%5C ... rwoman.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dustytomes

Post by dustytomes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:29 pm

I've lost 10 lbs shooting for 30 lbs. At my current rate of weight loss should take about another 4 weeks. Every time I think about cheeseburgers or pizza, I just tell myself "4 more weeks, 4 more weeks, I can do this."

pascalywood
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead
Dawn of the Dead
28 Days later
28 weeks later
Zombie Strippers

Post by pascalywood » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:16 am

I run on the threadmill from time to time, take kung-fu classes twice a week and practice almost every day, do my best to do my circuit training or crossfit 3 days a week. Problem is, the beer tastes just so good. Had a drink too many last night, now I feel like Im out of breath. Tonights training is going to be rough.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 am

This could be your test to see if you're fit enough to evade the Zombie horde

http://runforyourlives.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe recruit some new members too.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Kitsune
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's Dawn, Dawn remake, Shaun, Romero's Night, 28 Days later.

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 am

I like to think of myself as fit.I am one of those light weight guys, 6'1 and 150 something. I am 24 and have to have a knee surgery, and suspect that when I get my shoulder checked out it will not have cartilage either. I get a 286 on the APFT (that is in the 17-21 bracket), so I score a generally higher score than my soldiers. I work out doing weight training 3-4 times a week. I am a decent runner despite my knee injury (it has no cartilage and I tore my ACL right before coming to Afghanistan.) Back home I run the on post three mile track with a 30 lbs pack and my dog 3 times a week.

But am I fit enough? I am never fit enough. The minute I start thinking I am good enough is the minute I stop training and eating right.

NO-ONE

Post by NO-ONE » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:39 pm

yes. i do MMA as a Hobie so im in ok shape and my hand 2 hand skills or above average but that being said i am currently training for my first fight it has 2 min rounds now that doesnt sound like much but u would be surpized when the adrenalin gets going and ur moveing ur whole body at full speed.that being sad my plan is trips and head stomps then jog away not runing i can jog all day and if there shamblers a jog should do it
There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I've lost 20lbs. since the beginning of summer (from 280 to 260). Honestly I feel pretty good about myself when I look in the mirror right now.

But, I need to lose another 24lbs. to make weight (max. 236lbs at my height, 6'5") to join the National Guard, which I may or may not decide to do, but I'd rather not have the decision be made for me by my body. So that's my next near-term goal.

And another 11lbs from there, 35lbs from here, down to 225lbs, if I want to be able to rent horses in Yosemite. Personally I think they cap it at 225lbs because their horses are probably fine at 300lbs but they don't want 350 pounders lowballing their weight...anyway, that's not super important to me, and honestly I think I'm not sure I want to get that low, but it's out there as a reference point.

But, weight isn't really the most important part of fitness, at least not to me. It's activity. I've been really good about riding my bike anywhere I can, 30 miles per day at least a couple times per week, sometimes even more, and shorter rides almost every day. And I really tested myself hiking in Yosemite last month, even though nobody else wanted to come with me, I did a couple solo day hikes, up to the top of Nevada Falls one day, and Upper Yosemite Falls the next. It was tough going but a great workout, and reminded me that, while I've got plenty of room for improvement, I can move when I've got to.

Steph and I are taking a medieval swordfighting fitness class at a gym in our neighborhood, so that should help as well.

So that's where we're at right now.

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Jeriah: Congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.

Privateer73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead, Resident Evil

Post by Privateer73 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am

Im up for sustained fast hiking with massive loads any day and can sprint better than most 18yr olds but ill need a oxygen bottle to run more than a mile lol these damn cigarettes are going to be my downfall. But at 40yrs 6' and 180lbs of mostly muscle weight im fairly fit i think.
jamoni wrote:
Privateer73 wrote:The most prepared man in the zpaw.
"I don't always kill zombies in the apocalypse, but when I do, I wear a Zombie Squad T-shirt."
My bob (bugout bike) on a budget project.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 45&t=88262

Valpo Hawkeye

Are you fit enough?

Post by Valpo Hawkeye » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 am

I'm 6'3", 180 lbs. I run distance races for fun. And no, I'm not fit enough. Too much sustained upper-body activity in that situation. I would tire quickly and I have a resting heart-rate in the low 50's. I doubt there are many people who are truly fit enough to fight for their lives for days on end.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”