Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:15 pm 

Okay, I've always wanted a US COLT 1911, the GI issued kind. I carried it in the Infantry back in the 80's and want it for sentimental reasons. I am not looking for better tactical 1911's, I have them. Anyway, when I look for them on Gunbroker, they are in the $1,000 plus range, Im sentimental but not that sentimental.

I just saw in Cheaper Than Dirt the INTERSTATE ARMS CORP 1911. It is basically a turkish clone of what I want. There were only 3 customer reviews, one said the finish scratched easily and marked easily. The price is about $400 bucks. Yes I know you get what you pay for. But does anyone have any experience with this brand of handgun. I am very interested in getting it, but would like to hear from other owners as to its quality or lack thereof. :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30558

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm 

In that price range.... why not go for a RIA 1911 GI? It looks really close, and should run you $360-ish new if I recall correctly.
Or maybe an Auto Ordnance? They make a pretty convincing GI replica as well. A little more than the Turk gun in cost (I think around $500). Or you could always opt for the Springer GI. There are lots of options for this style 1911, and they don't all break the bank, and I would bet that some of them are probably of better build than the Turk model, as I have heard some not so positive things about them, but most were in regards to the finish being weaksauce. I think I heard some anecdotal comments about the steel, but I could be mistaking that for a different model/maker.

I know these aren't the brand you were posting about, but they are options, if you were unaware of them previously. I can't comment on the Turk model, as I have not seen or handled one. But I have handled the above mentioned ones. I own a RIA, though not the GI...I opted for the Tactical, and it has served me quite well to this point, and probably will for a long time to come.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:48 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I haven't dicked around with them, but must say that the Phillipine 1911 clones do strike me as the way to go right now.

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man that dies."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm 

I've shot on of the RIA guns, and it would be hard to beat for the price. For a basic GI gun, it would be a great choice.

"We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 am 

Agreed with the above posters...the folks in the Philippines know how to make the 1911. Armscorp/RIA have a solid rep...you can buy their GI versions for under $400 and their customer service in NV is top notch. You can send it to them to have custom work done. I believe the one smith's name is Arnel.

There are other companies from the Philippines offering 1911s as well...American Classic and I forget the other company.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 am 

RIA all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 am 

I absolutely love my RIA 1911.

Sig_Ocelot wrote:
Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:38 am 

+ 1 on the Armscor customer service. Good guys to deal with. Arnel is a pretty damned good smith too. Seen some of his custom jobs on 1911forum. The guys at the office in NV have also been very nice on the phone when I talked to them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 am 

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check into the RIA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:40 pm 

The one thing with the RAI is that large company logo on the slide, it doesnt really fit with the look Im going for.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:04 pm 

Be careful with that style over substance ;) The stamping on that logo is actually surprisingly shallow on mine.

Sig_Ocelot wrote:
Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:23 pm 

Kabong30 wrote:
Be careful with that style over substance ;) The stamping on that logo is actually surprisingly shallow on mine.

I'm one of those that given the choice between two roughly equal weapons, will choose the one with the less obnoxious logo every time. I just don't know why some companies go way overboard on logo sizing. I foresee weapons in the future that will have glowing logos on the frame of the laser pistols.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:32 pm 

If it's that big of a deal...sand blast it and refinish the slide. You cannot have it all for a sub $500 1911.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:17 pm 

I would save up the extra $100 and get a Springfield GI 1911. The life time warranty is great and they are true to form if you want the look and feel of an issue 1911. I have handled my buddies a ton of times and is the reason I bought a Springfield 1911.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm 

The post is asking about the Interstate Arms Corp 1911. As I had stated, I have a good quality 1911, Im looking for one which looks like the US COLT GI issued to military personnel. Looking for the similiar looking grips, and finish- such as on the IAC 1911. Thanks for the info on the better fancier 1911's but thats not what Im looking for, as I have it already. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 pm 

So, Speed bump sights, GI grips, parkerized finish, non-lowered and non-flared ejection port, spur hammer, no beaver tail, were you after A-1 style with the scallops behind the trigger? You can find a lot of these features in some of entry level guns... but you won't find all of them. At least I don't think so. There are always seems to be minor variations with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 pm 

Well when I was shopping for my 1911, they had both the Springfield and the Interstate Arms Corps 1911 in the same gun case. The Interstate Arms Corps brand new at the store already had scratches and the finish didn't look great. For $100 more the Springfield GI 1911 was right next to it and looked and felt a ton better. Everything about it beat out the Interstate Arms Corp pistol.

Not saying you should buy a Springfield, just saying that the Interstate Arms Corps 1911 is not worth it IMHO. I hope that little review helps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am 

Well I went gun shopping with a friend ( he was buying I was just riding shotgun) and happened to see one of those RIA 1911s. This one was not like the one I saw online, its logo was much more discreet. At $427.00 I couldn't help myself and made an impulse buy, getting it on the spot. It was the first of 3 gun stores we planned to visit. All in all, very pleased with the purchase. 8)