Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XDm .40: Race Gun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:17 pm 

For awhile now I've been thinking about turning my XDm into a full-blown race gun, red dot included. I won't be using it for official matches yet, just some matches a few of us put together to have fun. I know there are tons of items for sale to upgrade the gun. Magwells, oversized controls, etc. I am on a slim budget right now, considering my son was just born, and so I just want some opinions on what parts I should buy first for the pistol. Extended magazines or anything like that.

So I'm asking for you guys help because I am very new to pistol matches and such. So, what first? Thanks ahead of time.

Post subject: Re: XDm .40: Race Gun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

First thing to aid in speed and accuracy is going to be a red dot system, I would recommend the Burris Fastfire. This wiull allow you to shoot much faster with practice than the irons and with better accuracy as well. The Burris Fastfire doesn't require a bulky mount and you will be able to use a standard holster.

Last edited by Absintheur on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm 

IAmKalashnikov wrote:
For awhile now I've been thinking about turning my XDm into a full-blown race gun, red dot included. I won't be using it for official matches yet, just some matches a few of us put together to have fun. I know there are tons of items for sale to upgrade the gun. Magwells, oversized controls, etc. I am on a slim budget right now, considering my son was just born, and so I just want some opinions on what parts I should buy first for the pistol. Extended magazines or anything like that.

So I'm asking for you guys help because I am very new to pistol matches and such. So, what first? Thanks ahead of time.

You have to decide which shooting sport you are going to do, which division that you are getting into and then how much you want to spend. What are you going to be competing in? USPSA? IDPA? ISPCA?

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm 

I may be incorrect, but it sounds like you have not shot a real match before? Personally, I would go out, and shoot ssp or production and get a feel for it. I feel that the open class guns are really for those guys who have mastered the other classes and want something new. I would put your money toward a good belt/holster and match fees and ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 pm 

You're right. I've never shot a -real- match. I want to use the pistol for open class but it could work just aswell as a fun gun.

Regarding the Burris fastfire, how much am I looking at for optic and installation? If I'm right, I won't have a rear sight anymore either and I'd much prefer to keep a rear sight, but if I use a cmore sight mount I won't be able to use normal holsters.

I'm on a strict budget so that's why I wad considering investing in the more cheaper parts. Would it help putting a magwell on the gun? Also, any other less expensive parts suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 pm 

I would recommend shooting some matches first especially considering your gun is fine as is for the stock classes. Given budget is an issue, why start by going to a more expensive class? If I am going to compete in anything other than .22 my first buy will be a press and loading components. Otherwise all the upgrades won't mean anything without practice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well, this won't be the answer you want to hear, but the first thing is practise, with some practise between your practise practising the practises you practise.

See the pattern there?

Practise until you absolutely cannot get any better without changing your weapon. Hold off and use your modifications as an enhancement to existing skill, not as a crutch to substitute for skill.

Unless of course, you just want gun bling without improving your technique. In that case, ignore everything I just said.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 pm 

IAmKalashnikov wrote:
You're right. I've never shot a -real- match. I want to use the pistol for open class but it could work just aswell as a fun gun.

Regarding the Burris fastfire, how much am I looking at for optic and installation? If I'm right, I won't have a rear sight anymore either and I'd much prefer to keep a rear sight, but if I use a cmore sight mount I won't be able to use normal holsters.

I'm on a strict budget so that's why I wad considering investing in the more cheaper parts. Would it help putting a magwell on the gun? Also, any other less expensive parts suggestions?

Everybody in open uses a ghost holster anyways, and I certainly hope you aren't planning in using your open class race gun as a carry gun.

Again, I would strongly recommend you go shoot some IDPA and USPSA with your current setup, and see what others are using before you go spending all this money on an open gun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:28 am 

Abacus wrote:
Well, this won't be the answer you want to hear, but the first thing is practise, with some practise between your practise practising the practises you practise.

See the pattern there?

Practise until you absolutely cannot get any better without changing your weapon. Hold off and use your modifications as an enhancement to existing skill, not as a crutch to substitute for skill.

Unless of course, you just want gun bling without improving your technique. In that case, ignore everything I just said.

i see a pattern of misspelling the same word 7 times in one post

PRACTICE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 am 

^I think he was joking with that.

Your XD will work fine for production. Or hell if you want shoot limited with it as is. USPSA matches are full of good people. Go to a local match, and don't worry if you may suck or not. Someone will tell you what to work on. Just focus on going slow through the courses and minding the safety rules first.

Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:46 am 

txKingfisher wrote:
Abacus wrote:

See the pattern there?

i see a pattern of misspelling the same word 7 times in one post

PRACTICE

I think he is from across the pond, and that's how they spell it over there. Just a guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hoot Harrington wrote:

I think he is from across the pond, and that's how they spell it over there. Just a guess.

Quite. Thank you Hoot.