It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am 

Save yourself the heartache, and get both.

Failing that, get whichever you shoot better with, and will train with more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 am 

I, being a former owner of a GP100, sold due to a divorce and a current owner of an sp101, am partial to the ruger. I also own a Glock 22 and love that also but if I had to choose between the two I would keep my sp101. I use it as my home defense weapon and sometimes carry piece. The ruger line of revolvers are just built for toughness and reliability.

Don't take anything said here as gospel, take it for what it is, different points of view. This is an extension of the ak vs. ar , cake vs. pie debate, ad naseum.

You need to take the time do your own research and do what is best for you and your family.

Just sayin'

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If you plan to shoot once a month and are willing to train a little get the glock. If you only shoot
once or twice a year and not much training the revolver will be safer and efective enough. Load
it up with glazers and buy one speadloader or speed strip and load it with glazers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:19 pm 

Paladin1 wrote:
If it's for fighting, get the Glock and live.

In a past life, a wheel gun saved this boys bacon 3 seperate times.
I guess I am to old to know I wasn't suppose to survive!

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 pm 

The .357 can certainly do some things no 9mm can do, and it is this flexibility that makes it such a great gun. The 200 grain hardcast loads are serious firepower against bears and dumptrucks, and the hot 158g rain softpoints make the .357 a legitimate 50 yard deer hunting pistol. However, a 10mm is obviously the way to go if you want heavy slugs and an autoloader.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

crystal river charlie wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:
If it's for fighting, get the Glock and live.

In a past life, a wheel gun saved this boys bacon 3 seperate times.
I guess I am to old to know I wasn't suppose to survive!

Charlie

Not to discount your experience at all (sincerely), but did your revolver do anything that a good semi-auto could have done?

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm 

"Don't take anything said here as gospel, take it for what it is, different points of view. This is an extension of the ak vs. ar , cake vs. pie debate, ad naseum."

And like the AK vs AR debate, it has less to do with points of view as it does with real experience. There are real answers to some of these debates. Many will refuse to pay attention to anything other then what they "feel". Facts will not sway their though process and they will often only pay attention to the part of the story that they like.

"In a past life, a wheel gun saved this boys bacon 3 separate times.
I guess I am to old to know I wasn't suppose to survive!"

Again, no one said you couldn't fight with it. You don't get the by. Jim Cirrillo won many gunfights with an M10 .38, as did a friend of mine and will known instructor. They both would rather have the choices we have today as a primary pistol. This is the reason that both of them, though older, didn't fall into the archives sooner. They stay relevant.

"Not to discount your experience at all (sincerely), but did your revolver do anything that a good semi-auto could have done?"

This is a great point.

"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm 

It might just be because I haven't been here long enough, but does it make sense to carry an XD-45 and a Glock 17, compared to an XD-45 and GP100? I'm not contesting whether or not the Glock is more useful in a defensive situation compared to the GP100, but assuming that space and weight is at least a consideration, wouldn't carrying two types and calibers of handgun magazines for the same purpose be redundant? Whereas the GP-100 has the potential to be used for hunting or other higher-power purposes?

Since the OP has a Rossi snub-nose, I think that it'd probably be logical to get a GP-100 to complement it. We can agree that a med/full size revolver is more useful at equivalent ranges than a snub-nose, right?

Or maybe I should just stick to the ZCT/ZB forum.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm 

Comrade, if you already have an XD-45, why not spend the cash you would invest in Glock 17 instead, as others have suggested, in a complete rig/kit/training package? That pistol is a fine choice and with a few extra mags, a good carry rig (open/concealed/mall ninja) and practice/training, would serve you well.

If, however, you wanted to upgrade your Rossi, a Ruger GP-100 is a fine choice. The caliber and that particular revolver speak for themselves.

Of course if you just want some bad ass handguns, for the hell and fun of it, then by all means buy the one you want more, rock out with your ***k out, and generally enjoy your new purchase(s).

With regard to the pie vs. cake vs. AK vs. AR vs. Superman vs. Kryptonite vs. "Furries" vs. the Chargers....well the answer is simple: Mosin Nagant.

:-D

"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm 

Of course I'm not surprised by some of the rather trite responses. :lol:

But getting down to the bottom line of the subject boys and girls, it's simply not a matter of point of view or once upon a time stories.

It's just math and physics.

In a gunfight you will miss shots at your opponent. The more rounds you have the better your odds-period.

In a gunfight it is entirely conceivable you may have to reload. A semi-auto reloads faster, and with more rounds than a wheelgun-period.

It's not a matter of opinion or even really debatable.

Personally, after training with military & Swat personnel, competing in various organizations, and shooting both wheelguns and semi-auto for the last 30+years or so I feel pretty comfortable saying that I would want to maximize my odds of surviving a gunfight by having a semi-auto.

If you choose to minimize the odds of surviving a gunfight by choosing a wheelgun for some nostalgic reasons-well, good luck I hope things go your way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:25 pm 

Dont you know you are supposed to buy things for OTHER people during christmas :roll: . Ok that being said I say the ruger.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 pm 

Should have known this was going to turn into a revolver hate thread... :x

I don't think you can really debate that the Glock 17 would be a better combat pistol than the Ruger GP-100. This has literlly been beat into the ground on these gun boards. That said, having ample trigger time with thousands of rounds through both my Glock 19 and Ruger GP-100 I can honestly say that the Ruger is defiantely adequate for self-defense use but the Glock is what I personally conisider optimal for self-defense. The revolver has proven itself more than capable as long as the user is willing to deal with reloads. Hell, Clint Smith doesn't feel undergunned with one so why would you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVWwOahGf8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm 

Domino wrote:
Should have known this was going to turn into a revolver hate thread... :x

I don't think you can really debate that the Glock 17 would be a better combat pistol than the Ruger GP-100. This has literlly been beat into the ground on these gun boards. That said, having ample trigger time with thousands of rounds through both my Glock 19 and Ruger GP-100 I can honestly say that the Ruger is defiantely adequate for self-defense use but the Glock is what I personally conisider optimal for self-defense. The revolver has proven itself more than capable as long as the user is willing to deal with reloads. Hell, Clint Smith doesn't feel undergunned with one so why would you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVWwOahGf8

There's no hate, just facts :roll: You must have missed the part where I stated that I ran a Ruger Security-Six for years as my primary sidearm. But that was years ago, I evolved.

I'm not Clint Smith and neither are you.

(Wow, did I call it or what?, I said people would roll out the "well its been good enough for decades" old geezer card. And I called that people would post the tried and true "Well (fill in well known gun guy) says their cool, see how good he is with it!" )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm 

Paladin1 wrote:
There's no hate, just facts :roll: You must have missed the part where I stated that I ran a Ruger Security-Six for years as my primary sidearm. But that was years ago, I evolved.

And you must have missed the part where I agreed that the semi-automatic is better for combat than the revolver. I said so right in the god damned quote on your last post. You are debating just to debate and to do so is just really fucking lame.

Paladin1 wrote:
(Wow, did I call it or what?, I said people would roll out the "well its been good enough for decades" old geezer card. And I called that people would post the tried and true "Well (fill in well known gun guy) says their cool, see how good he is with it!" )

What do you want a cookie bro? :wink: But seriously did you even watch the video? Clint Smith teaches simple practical methods for average people. He does not teach trick shooting are any other bullshit like that, just self-defense tactics for people who want to learn. And yes, a revolver is plenty enough for those who decide they are comfortable with them. They have worked and will continue to work despite all of the new wiz bang auto's out there. The fact remains that not everyone feels that they must have the latest and greatest and in most cases having a gun alone and knowing how to use it will be all it takes to save your ass.

That said I prefer the semi-automatic for SD and I even said so in my last post. Nuff said, this is getting gay...

Why is this even bieng depated? Didn't the OP just ask which one to buy and not which is better for SD? He's already got a perfectly good SD pistol, its not like the only use for a pistol is SD?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 pm 

I don't want to violate any rules. Besides, Paladin1's got this one.

"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Last edited by Matt E. on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm 

Domino wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:

And you must have missed the part where I agreed that the semi-automatic is better for combat than the revolver. I said so right in the god damned quote on your last post. You are debating just to debate and to do so is just really fucking lame.

No, I got that part, you started your post with "You guys are hating on revolvers :x " I noted that I wasn't hating anything. I don't know why you're so pissed. it was stated that revolvers were just as good for gunfighting and I disagree and stated my reasons why. You jumped in with the "hating" part. you think discussion on the subject is "fucking lame"?

Paladin1 wrote:

What do you want a cookie bro? :wink: But seriously did you even watch the video? Clint Smith teaches simple practical methods for average people. He does not teach trick shooting are any other bullshit like that, just self-defense tactics for people who want to learn. And yes, a revolver is plenty enough for those who decide they are comfortable with them. They have worked and will continue to work despite all of the new wiz bang auto's out there. The fact remains that not everyone feels that they must have the latest and greatest and in most cases having a gun alone and knowing how to use it will be all it takes to save your ass.

That video is really freaking old and I've watched it many times. Perhaps if you really watch it again you'll hear his opening statement about "There was an age of men, when they fought with real guns, and those were wheelguns made out of steel!!" That's exactly the old geezer, nostalgic mentality I referenced. We used to fight with bolt action rifles too.

Latest and greatest Wiz bang autos? You know they have been out for awhile now right? I've priced new wheel guns and new semiauto's are not more expensive so it's not some sort of arms race if that's what your implying.

That said I prefer the semi-automatic for SD and I even said so in my last post. Nuff said, this is getting gay...

Why is this even bieng depated? Didn't the OP just ask which one to buy and not which is better for SD? He's already got a perfectly good SD pistol, its not like the only use for a pistol is SD?

Well thanks for stopping by and representing for revolvers. If you read the thread, my very first post just was about defining needs, get a revolver and be happy-unless you want a fighting gun then the clear choice is a semi-auto. THEN the hardcore revolver guys leaped to the defense all jacked out of shape, sorta like you just did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Domino wrote:

Please, tone it down with the "gay" remark. It is offensive to many folks here and there are other ways of getting your point across.

"One of my best buddies put it this way about his older style gun that he shot for 20 years and/or his stripper girlfriend- "Sometimes you just gotta say 'screw the bitch' and move on."

This ^ is also bordering on violating the forum rules.

This is a warning to all: Keep this a civil discussion or I will lock this down.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies.
And when the catch you, they will kill you.
But first they must catch you."
-Richard Adams, Watership Down

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Paladin1 wrote:
Well thanks for stopping by and representing for revolvers. If you read the thread, my very first post just was about defining needs, get a revolver and be happy-unless you want a fighting gun then the clear choice is a semi-auto. THEN the hardcore revolver guys leaped to the defense all jacked out of shape, sorta like you just did.

NO! You shut up! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:45 pm 

lulz

ah hell, team plastic vs team stainless steel. Seriously now, to the OP, buy what you want/need. Both weapons are proven, both calibers have a long and easily researched history.

Or you could just saw "screw it!" and buy yourself a couple of TT-33's and a big ol' span can o' ammo, and shoot until your range becomes a Superfund Toxic cleanup site due to the sudden concentration of ComBloc Cold War awesome deposited there! :-D

"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am 

fattycakes wrote:
Dont you know you are supposed to buy things for OTHER people during christmas :roll: . Ok that being said I say the ruger.

got the wife a $2000 dollar diamond ring with some bonus money so I think I'm authorized to get myself something =P

RedArmyCommissar wrote:
Comrade, if you already have an XD-45, why not spend the cash you would invest in Glock 17 instead, as others have suggested, in a complete rig/kit/training package? That pistol is a fine choice and with a few extra mags, a good carry rig (open/concealed/mall ninja) and practice/training, would serve you well.

for the XD i have 7 mags, around 500 rounds of ammo, a thigh rig for the range, I have a crossbreed supertuck for concealed carry..... also have means to carry 6 mags in decent pounches.

And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:00 am 

Comrade...awesome move on the ring :-D

Seriously, very good call.

Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 am 

RedArmyCommissar wrote:

+ 1! Sleeping on the couch has been avoided!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 pm 

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
RedArmyCommissar wrote:

and i have no laundry duty for a week plus a few foot rubs :)

And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 am 

jeremy1391 wrote:
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
RedArmyCommissar wrote:

and i have no laundry duty for a week plus a few foot rubs :)

Well played sir.... :D

As far as the debate, For the OP I think the semiauto is a better buy..

But;
Reasons to buy a revolver instead of a semiauto...
1: Simplicity, pull and shoot, reliability. All are common pros in buying a wheel gun over semiauto
2: If the person isn't going to shoot consistently, or has no real skill in firearms, a revolver is a great first gun.
3: If, like my wife, the person suffers from carpal tunnel, or arthritis, then even the act of racking a slide, or engaging disengaging safeties can be very difficult. A DA revolver is much easier on a weaker hand, or where both hands aren't the best for manipulating the action.
4: Cool factor. Revolver trumps Glock in appearance 9 times outta 10...

Okay, the last one was personal opinion, but the other three are valid.

That being said, I have a semiauto.

Let's not hate on the revolver, I still want my Vaquero in .45 longcolt, dammit. Aaaaaaand the Colt Dragoon cartridge conversions in .45 longcolt, one for each hip, the richard mason conversion cut down and in a cross draw holster... Etc, etc....

But yeah, my 1911 is top pick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next