Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question - Walther P22
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:34 pm 

Hello all, I am going to be upfront and say I have NO experience with Firearms and wanted some opinions from anyone on the Walther P22. I have had my eye on it simply because it's aesthetically pleasing, but I know that that is no reason for me to buy it. Anyone have any comments on it? Is it reliable? Is ammo easily available? For anyone wondering, it would just be a piece for the house, not for the car or anything, strictly home-defense. Thanks in advance.

Oh, here's a link to an online seller: http://www.handgunsforsale.net/walther- ... d-34-black

Finch wrote:
i don't keep sharp things near me when my wiener is out of my pants

-Finch, you are a funny man.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:37 pm 

There are better choices for a HD gun if that’s your intended purpose.

The P22 is a nice ‘plinker’ nothing more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41 pm 

boondoggie wrote:
There are better choices for a HD gun if that’s your intended purpose.

The P22 is a nice ‘plinker’ nothing more.

That sums it up nicely.

+3-2=1

(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm 

Wrecking Ball wrote:
Hello all, I am going to be upfront and say I have NO experience with Firearms and wanted some opinions from anyone on the Walther P22. I have had my eye on it simply because it's aesthetically pleasing, but I know that that is no reason for me to buy it. Anyone have any comments on it? Is it reliable? Is ammo easily available? For anyone wondering, it would just be a piece for the house, not for the car or anything, strictly home-defense. Thanks in advance.

Oh, here's a link to an online seller: http://www.handgunsforsale.net/walther- ... d-34-black

You have that many posts here and NO firearms experience? Wow! Well, I've only ever rented the P22 with my fiancee, but neither of us was too fond of it--it felt like an airsoft gun, to be honest. Fun enough to plink with but the little hollow point .22 rounds didn't feed worth a darn. A .22 is better than a sharp stick for home defense as long as you can hit what you're aiming at, but a shotgun or rifle caliber carbine would be much more effective than any handgun for home defense (seeing as how you don't have to conceal it or carry it around all the time). As for ammo, yes .22 is cheap and available--I just picked up 750 rounds online for under $30 after shipping.

Deadly Vanity - My Zombie Apocalypse Novella

ZSC:018 Member #22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:17 pm 

I had one, and it was lacking in several areas:

Soft screws in the receiver portion were beginning to strip (from tightening them, they tended to back out, even with loctite)
The slide stop spring needed to be replaced twice, and frequently fell out/off.
The slide was showing significant amounts of wear after around 5K suppressed shots.

S&W was good about sending me replacement parts, such as springs and a new floorplate after i busted one.

I will say though that mine shot fine, it was fun, and fit my hand very well. With a viridian green laser, it was a good time. It just clearly was going to wear out with the amount of shooting I did through it so I sold it.

You might look at a Ruger 22/45, similar price, feels good in the hand, a wealth of aftermarket options, and a proven design. However, for HD, both would probably be lacking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 pm 

The P22 is a fun little gun, and I love mine. If you get one, I'd recommend putting a couple hundred higher powered .22's down the pipe to work everything in before you switch to more economical ammo. It needs to be cleaned often, and doesn't like being dirty.

That being said, if your purpose is home defense I'd highly recommend not getting a 22 caliber gun. It just doesn't have the characterisitcs needed to really qualify as a home defense round. If you are looking for one, may I suggest the P99. It looks the same, only it shoots 9mm. While I don't have a P99 (I want one) from what I've read they are good guns.

As always, defending yourself with what you are comfortable with is better than not being able to handle your firearm. But in this situation, I say learn how to use a better caliber.

YMMV

Edit: If you're near Jersey I'll let ya put a couple rounds through mine, and a couple others if you'd like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm 

I have one it's been a great little pistol for me. Good size for small kids and small handed women, my wife and her mother love shooting it. On the other hand they are hit and miss from what I here; I just happened to get a good one I guess. I do clean and lubricate my firearms though, and I can tell you it shoots the remington golden bullets absolutely fine. (cheap walmart ammo) It's a good pistol for me, I justified buying it for critters when I do yard work. Good luck

I also have a Ruger mark II that I have had since a kid, it also has been fine; much bigger though. I did replace the extractor the original was a worn, 19 years old.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:57 pm 

To the OP:
Look upon .22 pistols almost like tools, not so much as weapons. They have an important place as trainers, learning how to shoot, to maintain a weapon, do simple gunsmithing, to accustom yourself to shooting and to considering the responsibility of carrying a gun, etc. Plus, they're always useful for pest elimination and small-scale/survival hunting, or - last ditch - as a weapon. Some people just aren't into carrying, and maybe some who carry wouldn't use it when they need to, sort of treating the carry as if it were a talisman to ward off attackers or some nonsense like that. Maybe thats you, maybe not, but you won't know until you have something to do the training with. A .22 is a good investment for sussing all of that out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:59 pm 

My brother has a P22. Fun little gun, I wouldn't mind owning one. Definately not a home defense gun, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:20 pm 

P22's cost how much? 350 I think I paid for mine NIB. A new Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun costs about the same. Buy that instead.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.
I have a special loathing for P22s, as the placement of the mag release as a part of the trigger guard, results in my being unable to fire the damn things without inadvertently dropping the mag at least fifty percent of the time. I have met one other person that this happens to, and he is a giant burly man, whereas I am a five foot tall woman. To the best of my knowledge there isn't anything I do wrong; it's just a personal idiosyncracy.

What I'm saying is, do your best to rent one for an afternoon and see how you like it.

shrapnel wrote:
Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote:
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:
Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 pm 

shrapnel wrote:
I have a special loathing for P22s, as the placement of the mag release as a part of the trigger guard, results in my being unable to fire the damn things without inadvertently dropping the mag at least fifty percent of the time. I have met one other person that this happens to, and he is a giant burly man, whereas I am a five foot tall woman. To the best of my knowledge there isn't anything I do wrong; it's just a personal idiosyncracy.

What I'm saying is, do your best to rent one for an afternoon and see how you like it.

QFT. I've had a lot of people including myself drop the mag while we were shooting it. I don't have a ton of problems with jamming or anything, but like others said, it's really just a plinker. I got mine when it first came out and only had to pay $215 for it though, which I feel is a much better price than the $350 it is now, that's just too much for not enough gun.

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 pm 

Definetly not a home defense weapon.

I had one for a short bit and it was more of a range toy when it worked.

finicky with ammo
my nephew liked it more then me

If your looking for a HD weapon find a range with rental guns and try a few other the that all I can recommend are either a revolver in .38/.357mag or a 1911 .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:06 am 

I am not fond of these.

The ones I have shot have been rather finicky with ammo/reliability.
I hate the mag release. It just doesn't work for me.

This sucks, cause its nice and compact, and it looks really cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:12 am 

They are fun guns but not very accurate past 30 or so feet. your grouping will be the entire target sheet haha. Other than that they are fun for plinking and just wanting to go shooting for not much money. They are also nice because of how compact it is.