Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 am 

I just recently purchased a Mossy and I was wondering if anyone could link me some quality examples of these items:

Stock with pistol grip
Sling
Side saddle
"Tacticool" sighting system (something better than standard bead)
Light and mounting system

Anything else that you could recommend.

I'm aware that I could Google these products but I just wanted to know if any of you had personal experience with any if these items that you wanted to share.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:24 am 

you have more toys on yours than I have...
did you get a riffled barrel for it ?

ammo is really my favorite accessory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:26 am 

I haven't put these things on my gun yet. I'm looking for advice etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 am 

SteamPunk wrote:
I haven't put these things on my gun yet. I'm looking for advice etc.
yes, I reread your first post,
I misread it,
I have no idea where to get quality versions of things...
this is my shotgun light
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5611
and mount
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10761
but they do work well

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:06 am 

Hahn Precision makes a pretty cool top rail/ safety. I'd mount a Primary Arms Micro Dot on the rail. A TruGlo TFO front sight is not only fiber optic but has a tritium insert for visibility in total darkness.

Command Arms Accessories makes a quality tri-rail forend. You can mount a good LED flashlight to it. Tac-Star's Sidesaddle is a classic must have.

If you want to get really tacticool it's tough to beat the Aimtech Warhammer, it's a tri-rail system that mounts on the receiver. You wont be able to use the Sidesaddle, though. Dont forget a good sling swivel and sling.

***keep in mind that the slide release button is hard to manipulate with a pistol grip installed.***

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:35 am 

Rather than the pistol grip it might be worth looking into a traditional stock that reduces recoil, like the compstock. Also one of the first mods I will want to make to my mossberg when I have the cash is an enhanced safety button. Last two additional mods you might want to look into are a high visibility follower and improved magazine springs.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel

DaJoker wrote:
In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm 

I love my Mossy 500 but instead of a side saddle I use one of these.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/spmastformo5.html

Can't beat an extra 4 rounds with nothing hanging off the sides.

I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:32 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

SteamPunk wrote:
I just recently purchased a Mossy and I was wondering if anyone could link me some quality examples of these items:

Stock with pistol grip
Sling
Side saddle

I'm aware that I could Google these products but I just wanted to know if any of you had personal experience with any if these items that you wanted to share.

pyratemime wrote:
Rather than the pistol grip it might be worth looking into a traditional stock that reduces recoil, like the compstock. Also one of the first mods I will want to make to my mossberg when I have the cash is an enhanced safety button. Last two additional mods you might want to look into are a high visibility follower and improved magazine springs.

I agree with Pyratemine on all points.

Here's my 500 that I've added some stuff to. It started as a plain jane 18" with 5 round capacity.

I started off by adding the Tacstar sidesaddle many years ago. Then I got hold of a package with a 1st gen Surefire forend and a Speedfeed stock on Ebay(cost me 200$). Added a Dealextreme LED-dropin to the light, and now it's plenty bright.
Then I bought the safety that Pyratemine linked to(great stuff, but do know that you have to disassemble the whole action to mount it), and a MI singlepoint slingmount(The sling is a cheap nylonsling I had lying around). Lastly I got hold of the Brownells Mossberg 500 high capacity kit.

I like the setup, but I think the Speedfeed stock is a bit overrated. So, I'd drop that and rather mount a normal stock of some kind. As I mentioned the Brownells safety is the bees knees. The Tacstar sidesaddle is ok, but there are several company who makes these now, so I dunno what brand to suggest.(Don't go for the type who use elastic hoops though, these are really hard to load).
For a flashlight I'd go with something that's railmountable, and buy one of the cheaper plastic rail handguards. The Streamlight TLR1 is a really nice weaponslight that can take the abuse.
The sling is harder to recommend, as your personal preferences has to come into play(singlepoint, 2-point etc), but there are several reputable companies that make good slings.
On the sights: I recommend buying the HiCap kit instead, cause just adding sights to your existing barrel will cost you 50-60$ at least.
You get a new barrel with good sights from Williams, a 7 shot tube(They say it's 8 but that ain't so :() and a new spring. For that price I think it's the best upgrade you can do on a 500(If you don't already have a long magazine), as it has great value for the $ spent.

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm 

What is your purpose for the scattergun? Is it the 7+1 or the 5+1?

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:13 pm 

Thanks you all so much for the advice! Great stuff there.

It's a 7+1 for home defense/zombie slaying purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 pm 

hmmmm ok...
leave the mag tube as is...
3 gun gear side saddle it holds 7 instead of 5 or 6 and its easier to load than some have mentioned...
TFO or at least FO if you cant find a TFO for it...
lots of ammo to practice with...
shoot it til its instinctive for you!

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 pm 

I thought a pistol grip on the 500's was a no no, cause of the location of the safety.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:00 pm 

ninja steve wrote:
I thought a pistol grip on the 500's was a no no, cause of the location of the safety.

I don't think it is an absolute no no but it sure is difficult.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel

DaJoker wrote:
In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 pm 

pyratemime wrote:
ninja steve wrote:

I don't think it is an absolute no no but it sure is difficult.

difficult? yes. still easier to manipulate than the safety on the L1A1? yes. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 pm 

ninja steve wrote:

It has a safety????

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:24 pm 

ninja steve wrote:

get a "birdhead" style pistol grip you will be fine and they are easier to shoot too

Foolish are those who fear nothing, yet claim to know everything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 pm 

Thanks for the hicap link at brownells.
I've been wanting to do that to mine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Speedfeed stock will get you the pistol grip + 4 rounds on the stock as seen below, for sights just look at what Truglo has to offer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:18 am 

SteamPunk wrote:
Stock with pistol grip

Pistols grips SUCK to actually use on a shotgun. If you MUST have one, the ATI top-folding pistolgrip stock is ok and looks tacti-awesome, but can hurt your cheek a bit.
If you want high-quality, look into the Knoxx (now Blackhawk!!!!) recoil compensator stocks. There's a pistol-grip version. I have the collapsible-stock version and am very happy with it.

Quote:
Sling

I've been pleased with the UTG deluxe universal non-slip two point sling. It's inexpensive.
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Univer ... B001WJ6R9G

Quote:
Side saddle

I have the PowerPak attachment on my Knoxx stock.

Quote:

As said above, look into Truglo for simplicity.
The Mossberg ghost ring sight is pretty nice, too.

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10761

That one suggested would work, but I am extremely happy with this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5819
Advantage is you can take off the light when you're not using it, because cheap lights will not hold up to a shotgun.

Quote:

The Mossberg comes drilled and tapped to accept a sling swivel mount that screws into the front of the magazine cap. Buy one.

You can replace the safety switch with a metal one or a better one, but be aware that newer Mossbergs have the safety switch installed with a one-way screw that is a bitch to remove. They actually don't want you taking that off for some reason, which is pretty same-sex-oriented because the plastic safety switches are about the only things known to break commonly.

You should have a spare firing pin for every gun you own.

Here's a pic of my 590. You can't see it well, but there's a light mounted on the left side with a tailcap button that I can press with my thumb when my hand is on the forearm.

painiac's Essential Guide to Concealed Carry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:43 am 

I've got an ATI topfolder on mine. I just saw that Tapco makes a pistol grip with a sling attachment and they also make a 1 point sling too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:29 pm 

If you plan on shooting a lot of 3" slugs I recommend replacing the stock (reinforced plastic) trigger group with this part from Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2436 ... r_Assembly

I ran about 15 slugs through my 500 when I noticed the slide was failing to lock into the forward position upon inspecting the weapon I found the front edge of the trigger group hanging down about 1/2" thus you could cycle the action without pressing the slide release. I did repair it with a strip of duct tape and fired another 10 rnds of slugs and 00 buck shot.

Musubi

The hands acquire shakes.
The shaking becomes a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:55 pm 

How 'bout something like this????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:32 am 

I always figured that the less distracting stuff hanging off a weapon I'd be using in the middle of the night, 1/2 asleep, 1/2 adrenaline, while trying to make the right descisions at the time, the better. Although there's a sling in the pic, it doesn't stay on, and I've added an LED light with a tail cap on the left side, just forward of the forearm that I activate with my left thumb.

The only mods have been to put on a Hogue fore end and an ATI PG buttstock. I tried a side saddle on the stock, but it was a huge PITA and just got in the way, so off it came, the same thing with a receiver mounted shell holder I tried next, even worse.

Besides, if I haven't taken care of the problem after 8rds of OO, then I failed, not the gun. Either I picked the wrong gun to begin with, or I sucked ass and should've hid in the closet until the cops showed up.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:00 am 

I've always wanted to get a Mesa Tactical high tube adapter for my 590, so I could run a red-dot with a good cheek weld, but I never bought it, it's expensive and I've never held one in person to see if I like the feel.

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55

Jeriah wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
I feel like hugging the Constitution now :mrgreen:

Just don't get it sticky. We're going to need that later.