It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAK-90 furniture
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 pm 

OK, so I purchased the MAK-90, I've noticed a posts about the difficultly getting furniture for this thing. I Hate the thumb hole stock, I'd like something polymer synthetic. I also want to put a red dot on this thing, bayonet, and a muzzle break. I'd like some links to some quality stuff. here's a pic I bought this two days ago, and it looks like its been fired twice :) :)

Post subject: Re: MAK-90 furniture
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:10 pm 

Pull the butt stock off and find out what type of receiver cut you have, slanted or normal straight cut.

You can modify any standard stock set to fit on a MAK with the straight cut, slant cut you are going to have some issues. For wood options you can order from Ironwood Designs but the order process isn't as easy as it is with other sources. I purchased the TimberSmith set made by Tapco (counts as 3 US parts) - it required some fitting of the lower hand guard and butt stock to fit right but it came together nicely I believe. Another option are the Choate sets but they have a skeleton type butt stock, but I believe they make a set specifically for MAK-90's.

This is mine;

Good luck and post some pics when you get her done ;)

As far as the muzzle brake issue - best option is to get a Bulgarian 24mm threaded front sight block and replace the current on with that. Only get a good one like from KVAR as the 20 buck specials do NOT fit on the barrel. That will allow you to use a bayonet if using an AK-74 type brake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:20 pm 

Sprout47 wrote:
Pull the butt stock off and find out what type of receiver cut you have, slanted or normal straight cut.

You can modify any standard stock set to fit on a MAK with the straight cut, slant cut you are going to have some issues. For wood options you can order from Ironwood Designs but the order process isn't as easy as it is with other sources. I purchased the TimberSmith set made by Tapco (counts as 3 US parts) - it required some fitting of the lower hand guard and butt stock to fit right but it came together nicely I believe. Another option are the Choate sets but they have a skeleton type butt stock, but I believe they make a set specifically for MAK-90's.

This is mine;

Good luck and post some pics when you get her done ;)

As far as the muzzle brake issue - best option is to get a Bulgarian 24mm threaded front sight block and replace the current on with that. Only get a good one like from KVAR as the 20 buck specials do NOT fit on the barrel. That will allow you to use a bayonet if using an AK-74 type brake.

Thanks sprout, you've been most helpful throughout this whole purchase process, I'm disassembling as we speak to find out if its slanted or not :) shot off a few boxes this weekend and I love this gun, its awesome. I picked her up for about $450 out the door, and for the condition its Really nice! Tell me more about this "US parts stuff" I live in MI, if that helps. Whats the laws regarding conversion and parts etc. I looked but I've found nothing so far.

saint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:36 pm 

This is the end of the receiver. Not slanted eh?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:07 am 

wow that was a bit of a pain in the ass getting the bolt thought the pistol grip back in, (nothing motor oil couldn't fix) :) The bolt inside the receiver is slanted slightly is this what you mean? or are you talking the receiver itself?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:14 am 

saintslaughter wrote:
wow that was a bit of a pain in the ass getting the bolt thought the pistol grip back in, (nothing motor oil couldn't fix) :) The bolt inside the receiver is slanted slightly is this what you mean? or are you talking the receiver itself?

It's the receiver end itself. From what I have seen you do not have a slant cut.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:24 am 

Kommander wrote:
saintslaughter wrote:

It's the receiver end itself. From what I have seen you do not have a slant cut.

Excellent thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:19 am 

saintslaughter wrote:
This is the end of the receiver. Not slanted eh?

Beautiful!!! Consider yourself lucky, you can now use any AK furniture out there with slight modification.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 am 

As far as the muzzle brake goes, when I had my MAK-90 (many years ago,) all they did to make it compliant with the assault weapons ban was to tack weld a threaded cap on the end of the barrel. I was able to use my trusty dremel tool and cut the spot weld off. I then put a proper slanted cut muzzle brake on. The spring loaded detent was still there and every thing worked just fine.

I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

saintslaughter wrote:
Tell me more about this "US parts stuff" I live in MI, if that helps. Whats the laws regarding conversion and parts etc. I looked but I've found nothing so far.

saint

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

This should help you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:24 am 

How about just getting creative with a jigsaw and sander. Looks like you could eliminate the thumbhole and trim the stick down somewhat, retaining a "pistol grip". Might look kinda cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 am 

Jaybow wrote:
How about just getting creative with a jigsaw and sander. Looks like you could eliminate the thumbhole and trim the stick down somewhat, retaining a "pistol grip". Might look kinda cool.

I thought about this, but if I screw up, I'm left with no stock. :shock: I like to have a back up; before I potentially destroy what I have. Its also a really well done stock, it looks like someone took the time to refinish it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

[quote="saintslaughter I thought about this, but if I screw up, I'm left with no stock.[/quote]

You'd be Iraqi tacticool. Those knuckle heads take the stock off their rifles and run them w/o stocks.

I got my check.

I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:39 pm 

mickeydown wrote:
[quote="saintslaughter I thought about this, but if I screw up, I'm left with no stock.

You'd be Iraqi tacticool. Those knuckle heads take the stock off their rifles and run them w/o stocks.[/quote]

:lol: indeed but I'll still need a pistol grip... maybe ... if I'm going iraqi tacticool, I guess I can bust out the 2x4's, and I'm talking just a block of wood, I am by no means skilled at woodcraft. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:46 pm 

BigRix wrote:
As far as the muzzle brake goes, when I had my MAK-90 (many years ago,) all they did to make it compliant with the assault weapons ban was to tack weld a threaded cap on the end of the barrel. I was able to use my trusty dremel tool and cut the spot weld off. I then put a proper slanted cut muzzle brake on. The spring loaded detent was still there and every thing worked just fine.

Where exactly should I look for the tack weld? If you need pics I can post some tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm 

It's my understanding that early MAK-90's had this cap screwed onto the end of the barrel. The tack weld would be where this cap touches the sight base. Later models had the threads turned down so the diameter is too small to take stock muzzle brakes.

I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm 

I have the same weapon, this is what I have put on mine

Handguard/rails
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS502-6.html

Colaspable stock (m4 type)
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS507-6.html

Pistol grip
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS495-6.html

Its a great setup for a mak90, and for a decent price (95 dollars total plus shipping which is about 11-12$ so you looking at 107$ for a "tactical" ak with lots of versatility.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

BigRix wrote:
It's my understanding that early MAK-90's had this cap screwed onto the end of the barrel. The tack weld would be where this cap touches the sight base. Later models had the threads turned down so the diameter is too small to take stock muzzle brakes.

I'll need to take another look at mine, but it appears to be full diameter all the way to the end, no threads, no turned down section, no cap, no nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:27 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

saintslaughter wrote:
Jaybow wrote:

I thought about this, but if I screw up, I'm left with no stock. :shock: I like to have a back up; before I potentially destroy what I have. Its also a really well done stock, it looks like someone took the time to refinish it.

At ZCON, someone not with our group (the guy who was bump firing, causing Crypto to yell, "GODDAMN IT WHEN I TOLD YOU NO BUMP FIRING I MEANT THAT! :lol: ) had a MAK-90 with the stock modded like that. It was comfortable to fire, and kind of neat looking. Personally, though, I wouldn't do it. I would spend some time soul-searching about whether I wanted:

a.) super traditional, wood stock, at most add a muzzle device and bayonet setup,
b.) super tacitcool with rails and lights and a folding stock and all that,
c.) tactical-practical, fixed synthetic stock, red dot on Ultimak rail, light, and a sling,
d.) some combination of the above.

Personally I'm leaning towards a b-c hybrid, getting an Ironwood stock (since mine's an angle cut, that's all that fits easily) and then maybe adding Ultimak rails and a compact red dot optic and a tac light and a VTAC sling down the road. If done right, it'll basically look like a traditional wood stocked AK, with some small, low profile black stuff on top of the front handguard.

But I might or might not add that stuff; I might just keep it classic. Once I get the Ironwood stock on there. Which I can't do til I get some compliance parts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:49 pm 

Some info about the barrel diameters of MAK-90's.

The threads were in fact turned down on any MAK-90 that came into country after the 1989 import ban. The turned down barrel is at least .51" so it CAN be threaded to 14x1mm LH for standard AK adaptors.

There were NO MAK-90's imported after May of 1994 so they are all pre-AWB and the AWB never applied for them, important now only to people still living in AWB states.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:19 pm 

Sprout47 wrote:
Some info about the barrel diameters of MAK-90's.

The threads were in fact turned down on any MAK-90 that came into country after the 1989 import ban. The turned down barrel is at least .51" so it CAN be threaded to 14x1mm LH for standard AK adaptors.

There were NO MAK-90's imported after May of 1994 so they are all pre-AWB and the AWB never applied for them, important now only to people still living in AWB states.

Turned down? as in the treads are smaller ya? I don't quite follow,(first purchase remember :D first ak, and at this point i'd own no other gun hahah) so ill post some pics of the end of my rifle, from what I can tell, there is no "end cap"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 am 

Turned down as in removed by lathe - those are machine marks, they removed the threads thus 'turning-down' the barrel diameter. As hinted above, the MAK-90 has a larger than standard barrel diameter so even with the threads lathed off you can thread the remaining barrel to 14x1mm LH; it is the same diameter as a Saiga barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:51 am 

https://www.apexgunparts.com/
Lost of great parts, never had a problem with them. great stock options I have the polly Bulgarian AK 74 stock set on my Romanian AK 47 currently, theres some fitting to the lower front hand guard where it enters the receiver for my Romy, but its easy to do with a file, or a dremel if your careful and the sets about 50 bucks shipped. They should work on your MAC, just about all AK parts are interchangeable, except the Yugo's, they just had to be different. The stock set is here, https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_in ... ts_id/1040

http://dpharms.com/
Ive used many times, great parts source.

http://riflestocks.com/index2.htm
Expensive, but cool selection.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com
not as good but figured Id throw it in.

k-var.com
Yea, arm and leg but great selection of stocks

Don't for get the aforementioned parts count, an easy way around it is to get the US made followers, and floor plates for your steel foreign mags, there way better than the crapco and thromag option and give you 2 more parts, throw in a US made pistol grip and the trigger group and you've got a lot of the necessary parts covered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 am 

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDAK.html

I got my stock set from ironwood designs for my mak90. Some minor fitting on the handguard, stock dropped right in. I did a quick stain and it looks real nice.