It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm 

Not trying to sound like a mall ninja, just curious. I was watching a movie with a friend last night and the subject came up. I have my hands full with other projects right now but I would like to own a suppressor somewhere down the road. I'm not interested in BATFE stuff, that's a long ways off. But what (centerfire) pistol would be the easiest or most effective to suppress, and why? And not to start a 9mm vs. .45 thread, but what caliber would be best suited for use with a suppressor?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:21 pm 

The smaller the caliber, the more gases are trapped. With 9mm, 147 grn non +P ammo would help as well.
Edit: here's some more info from Dave.
DavePAL84 wrote:
When you're talking about the, "best" suppressed weapon, a lot of factors come into play.

No matter what caliber, you're fighting several factors:
-Velocity: supersonic or subsonic

-Bore Diameter: the larger the bore diameter, the harder it is to suppress since more gas will exit the bore (and not go into the can). Path of least resistance and all. This is why a good suppressed 9mm is invariably quieter than a .45ACP with a can of similar quality

-Rifle v. Pistol: Rifle rounds, in general, expel more gas than pistol rounds. This means you need a larger suppressor to capture the gas. This is also why a lot of subgun (FA rated) suppressors are twice the size of their semi-auto designed brethren.

-Action of the weapon itself: Blow-back firearms don't suppress very well, since the gas not only escapes from the bore but also from the action. I wish there were better options in .22lr (compare a suppressed 10/22 and a suppressed bolt action .22lr and you'll immediately hear the difference). Same goes for open-bolt guns. Course' I'll take the trade of slightly higher noise for a semi-auto in .22lr. Kalashnikov's don't suppress very well because of the very open gas system. You get gas blowing out of the gas block like crazy. Rapid expansion of gases in open air = more noise.

-Barrel length: A unsuppressed .22lr 6" pistol is louder than an unsuppressed .22lr 16" rifle because of the relative rates of gas expansion. Ergo, a shorter barrel = a louder suppressed gun.

and damn, we haven't even gotten into suppressor design yet

I'm gonna say: Far too many factors involved to say what configuration is, "best". Especially since what's important to me may not be important to you (hence why I'll take the blow-back .semi-auto 22lr system over a boltly, even though it's louder).

Lionheart wrote:
Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm 

For center fire pistol, subsonic 9mm. I run cans on a G17, G21, HK MK23, G33, and G35 with a 357 SIG barrel. (Subsonic 9mm is subsonic 9mm whether it is fired out of a 357 sig or a 9mm luger.)

You live in Tempe, want to go shooting sometime in March on the north side of Phoenix when I have my next free weekend off and hear for yourself?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 pm 

You have 3 different sounds coming from a semiauto.
1: the boom of the powder burning
2: the crack of a supersonic projectile
3: the mechanical sounds of the action working
That being said, The suppressor only takes care of the boom. If you use subsonic ammo, that takes care of the sonic crack. If you have a slide locking device, that takes care of the mechanical noise. The last item will be costly and turn you gun into a single shot whenever you use the slide lock.
The slower the round, the easier to suppress the sound.

Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Liff wrote:
For center fire pistol, subsonic 9mm. I run cans on a G17, G21, HK MK23, G33, and G35 with a 357 SIG barrel. (Subsonic 9mm is subsonic 9mm whether it is fired out of a 357 sig or a 9mm luger.)

You live in Tempe, want to go shooting sometime in March on the north side of Phoenix when I have my next free weekend off and hear for yourself?

Yup. Oh, did you not invite the rest of the folks in Arizona?

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Aside from what's already been posted (of which I agree with, especially sammage's post :mrgreen: ), I have more to add:

Check out the size and weight of pistol suppressors. They're huge and heavy. Shooting suppressed pistols (with the exception of a .22lr) isn't really all that much fun. Now, for a pistol caliber carbine (like a 9mm AR, if you want to deal with that PITA) they make much more sense.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

What is the lifespan of a suppressor like? For some reason I have the impression they wear out quickly.

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 pm 

I plan on getting a .22lr supressor. I am probably going to get my Savage Mk2 threaded and stick a can on there. Bolt-action .22lr 16" barrel FTMFW. Shoot jack rabbits all day without them scrambling all over the place.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Caenus wrote:
What is the lifespan of a suppressor like? For some reason I have the impression they wear out quickly.

You (and most people) won't shoot-out a quality can. Seriously.

Civilian Scout wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 am 

Liff, PM sent.

DavePAL: What would you define as a "quality" can? I don't know much about the subject and just started looking at some AAC models. And you're right, they certainly do look big, even on a Mk. 23.

I'm at minimum a year out from taking a serious look at buying one, but I'd like to start learning as much as I can.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Ebby wrote:
Liff, PM sent.

DavePAL: What would you define as a "quality" can?

Name brand. Known quantity. Not some, 'mom & pop' company.

Civilian Scout wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 am 

If I could only have one, I would choose a Ruger MKII, packlite upper with a quality .22 can. Mine sounds like a stapler.

Second choice would be a Beretta 92f with a Gemtech or AAC can. The 92's barrel doesn't move up and down that much. It makes for a very reliable platform.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 am 

I guess getting a can for my FNP-45 would kinda suck eh Dave?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:28 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Ebby wrote:
What would you define as a "quality" can? I don't know much about the subject and just started looking at some AAC models. And you're right, they certainly do look big, even on a Mk. 23.

Gemtech. Gemtech. Gemtech. Gemtech. Early (when "John" still worked there) John's Guns .22lr. AWC (not "AAC", there's a difference). Gemtech.

Did I mention Gemtech?

Seriously. It's really hard to go wrong with Gemtech. I say this as a former 01/03 FFL/SOT. Since I gave up my license and started having to pay transfer taxes on cans again, EVERY can I've bought has been a Gemtech. When I was selling professionally, I was NOT a stocking Gemtech dealer. I should have been.

If you see a company offering to give you a free can if you get a tattoo of their logo, you might want to pass. It's not that they're lying to you. It's that lots of serious people who see said tattoo will think you're an idiot.

Hope this helps.

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man that dies."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:31 am 

I'm gonna be a smartass and say a revolver is the best handgun for a supressor. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 am 

Caenus wrote:
Yup. Oh, did you not invite the rest of the folks in Arizona?
Didn't know we had a chapter going.

Well then, lets take us all to the best place for us all then. I'll start a thread over there.

Another Gemtech plug. It seems the old guys like Gemtech better because they were around and making the best suppressor way back before the internet happened. It seems the younger guys like AAC. I have Gemtech cans (mostly). Everyone is good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm 

DavePAL84 wrote:
Aside from what's already been posted (of which I agree with, especially sammage's post :mrgreen: ), I have more to add:

Check out the size and weight of pistol suppressors. They're huge and heavy. Shooting suppressed pistols (with the exception of a .22lr) isn't really all that much fun. Now, for a pistol caliber carbine (like a 9mm AR, if you want to deal with that PITA) they make much more sense.

It was either post that, or say the USP 45 since it works for me in Call of Duty. :lol:

Lionheart wrote:
Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:07 pm 

sammage wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:

It was either post that, or say the USP 45 since it works for me in Call of Duty. :lol:

Nah. Best supressed weapon is an AA-12 with a supressor and extended mags, or just extended mags and scavenger pro. People get so pissed when you run around with a shotgun. That is why I do it lmao.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:53 pm 

I personally prefer this one (I'm biased though) :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm 

Honestly though, I would really like to see how effective my FNP-45 would perform with a can since most 45 ACP is subsonic anyhoo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm 

I vote for my HK45Tac with SWR HEMSII can. Sounds like a nail gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm 

Ebby wrote:
Not trying to sound like a mall ninja, just curious. I was watching a movie with a friend last night and the subject came up. I have my hands full with other projects right now but I would like to own a suppressor somewhere down the road. I'm not interested in BATFE stuff, that's a long ways off. But what (centerfire) pistol would be the easiest or most effective to suppress, and why? And not to start a 9mm vs. .45 thread, but what caliber would be best suited for use with a suppressor?

Aftermarket threaded barrels can be purchased for just about any pistol.

To my knowledge only 3 companies sell pistols with factory threaded barrels: H&K, Sig, and FN.

FN offers just one in .45.
H&K offers several in .45 and one in .40.
Sig offers several in 9mm and .45 and one in .22.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm 

Now correct me if I am wrong (like I needed to say that on this forum :D ) but isn't a floating barrel a bad thing for a suppressor? I thought a fixed barrel was necessary because the action on the handgun when shot would cause the barrel to angle back slightly. Because the suppressor is attached to the barrel, it will also tilt upwards.

Now, is this just a misconception of mine that a super fast action causing the barrel to tilt upwards could cause a collision of the bullet to the suppressor? Or does the bullet exit the barrel and the suppressor way to quickly for that to be a factor unless you've got a foot long suppressor?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

ChatWithaNinja wrote:
Now correct me if I am wrong (like I needed to say that on this forum :D ) but isn't a floating barrel a bad thing for a suppressor? I thought a fixed barrel was necessary because the action on the handgun when shot would cause the barrel to angle back slightly. Because the suppressor is attached to the barrel, it will also tilt upwards.

Now, is this just a misconception of mine that a super fast action causing the barrel to tilt upwards could cause a collision of the bullet to the suppressor? Or does the bullet exit the barrel and the suppressor way to quickly for that to be a factor unless you've got a foot long suppressor?

Well, I've got a suppressed Glock 21, and never had a baffle strike with it. I HAVE had a baffle strike on a FA M11/9mm smg, which has a fixed barrel.

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man that dies."