It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 135
Location: FTCKY/RC-E
Not trying to sound like a mall ninja, just curious. I was watching a movie with a friend last night and the subject came up. I have my hands full with other projects right now but I would like to own a suppressor somewhere down the road. I'm not interested in BATFE stuff, that's a long ways off. But what (centerfire) pistol would be the easiest or most effective to suppress, and why? And not to start a 9mm vs. .45 thread, but what caliber would be best suited for use with a suppressor?

_________________
Overkill never fails.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:21 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:04 am
Posts: 595
Location: Wichita, KS
The smaller the caliber, the more gases are trapped. With 9mm, 147 grn non +P ammo would help as well.
Edit: here's some more info from Dave.
DavePAL84 wrote:
When you're talking about the, "best" suppressed weapon, a lot of factors come into play.

No matter what caliber, you're fighting several factors:
-Velocity: supersonic or subsonic

-Bore Diameter: the larger the bore diameter, the harder it is to suppress since more gas will exit the bore (and not go into the can). Path of least resistance and all. This is why a good suppressed 9mm is invariably quieter than a .45ACP with a can of similar quality

-Rifle v. Pistol: Rifle rounds, in general, expel more gas than pistol rounds. This means you need a larger suppressor to capture the gas. This is also why a lot of subgun (FA rated) suppressors are twice the size of their semi-auto designed brethren.

-Action of the weapon itself: Blow-back firearms don't suppress very well, since the gas not only escapes from the bore but also from the action. I wish there were better options in .22lr (compare a suppressed 10/22 and a suppressed bolt action .22lr and you'll immediately hear the difference). Same goes for open-bolt guns. Course' I'll take the trade of slightly higher noise for a semi-auto in .22lr. Kalashnikov's don't suppress very well because of the very open gas system. You get gas blowing out of the gas block like crazy. Rapid expansion of gases in open air = more noise.

-Barrel length: A unsuppressed .22lr 6" pistol is louder than an unsuppressed .22lr 16" rifle because of the relative rates of gas expansion. Ergo, a shorter barrel = a louder suppressed gun.

and damn, we haven't even gotten into suppressor design yet

I'm gonna say: Far too many factors involved to say what configuration is, "best". Especially since what's important to me may not be important to you (hence why I'll take the blow-back .semi-auto 22lr system over a boltly, even though it's louder).

_________________
crypto wrote:
Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.

Lionheart wrote:
Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 1329
For center fire pistol, subsonic 9mm. I run cans on a G17, G21, HK MK23, G33, and G35 with a 357 SIG barrel. (Subsonic 9mm is subsonic 9mm whether it is fired out of a 357 sig or a 9mm luger.)

You live in Tempe, want to go shooting sometime in March on the north side of Phoenix when I have my next free weekend off and hear for yourself?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:12 pm
Posts: 1146
You have 3 different sounds coming from a semiauto.
1: the boom of the powder burning
2: the crack of a supersonic projectile
3: the mechanical sounds of the action working
That being said, The suppressor only takes care of the boom. If you use subsonic ammo, that takes care of the sonic crack. If you have a slide locking device, that takes care of the mechanical noise. The last item will be costly and turn you gun into a single shot whenever you use the slide lock.
The slower the round, the easier to suppress the sound.

_________________
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 pm
Posts: 3584
Location: Arizonastan
Liff wrote:
For center fire pistol, subsonic 9mm. I run cans on a G17, G21, HK MK23, G33, and G35 with a 357 SIG barrel. (Subsonic 9mm is subsonic 9mm whether it is fired out of a 357 sig or a 9mm luger.)

You live in Tempe, want to go shooting sometime in March on the north side of Phoenix when I have my next free weekend off and hear for yourself?



Yup. Oh, did you not invite the rest of the folks in Arizona?

_________________
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 15490
Location: Ohio
Aside from what's already been posted (of which I agree with, especially sammage's post :mrgreen: ), I have more to add:

Check out the size and weight of pistol suppressors. They're huge and heavy. Shooting suppressed pistols (with the exception of a .22lr) isn't really all that much fun. Now, for a pistol caliber carbine (like a 9mm AR, if you want to deal with that PITA) they make much more sense.

_________________
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 pm
Posts: 3584
Location: Arizonastan
What is the lifespan of a suppressor like? For some reason I have the impression they wear out quickly.

_________________
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Posts: 9308
Location: Seattle, WA
I plan on getting a .22lr supressor. I am probably going to get my Savage Mk2 threaded and stick a can on there. Bolt-action .22lr 16" barrel FTMFW. Shoot jack rabbits all day without them scrambling all over the place.

_________________
Thanks Anianna!
Image

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 am 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 15490
Location: Ohio
Caenus wrote:
What is the lifespan of a suppressor like? For some reason I have the impression they wear out quickly.


You (and most people) won't shoot-out a quality can. Seriously.

_________________
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 am 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 135
Location: FTCKY/RC-E
Liff, PM sent.

DavePAL: What would you define as a "quality" can? I don't know much about the subject and just started looking at some AAC models. And you're right, they certainly do look big, even on a Mk. 23.

I'm at minimum a year out from taking a serious look at buying one, but I'd like to start learning as much as I can.

_________________
Overkill never fails.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 am 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 15490
Location: Ohio
Ebby wrote:
Liff, PM sent.

DavePAL: What would you define as a "quality" can?


Name brand. Known quantity. Not some, 'mom & pop' company.

_________________
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 am 
Offline
*

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:16 am
Posts: 33
If I could only have one, I would choose a Ruger MKII, packlite upper with a quality .22 can. Mine sounds like a stapler.

Second choice would be a Beretta 92f with a Gemtech or AAC can. The 92's barrel doesn't move up and down that much. It makes for a very reliable platform.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:37 am
Posts: 799
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
I guess getting a can for my FNP-45 would kinda suck eh Dave?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:28 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 am
Posts: 4959
Location: Somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard
Ebby wrote:
What would you define as a "quality" can? I don't know much about the subject and just started looking at some AAC models. And you're right, they certainly do look big, even on a Mk. 23.


Gemtech. Gemtech. Gemtech. Gemtech. Early (when "John" still worked there) John's Guns .22lr. AWC (not "AAC", there's a difference). Gemtech.

Did I mention Gemtech?

Seriously. It's really hard to go wrong with Gemtech. I say this as a former 01/03 FFL/SOT. Since I gave up my license and started having to pay transfer taxes on cans again, EVERY can I've bought has been a Gemtech. When I was selling professionally, I was NOT a stocking Gemtech dealer. I should have been.

If you see a company offering to give you a free can if you get a tattoo of their logo, you might want to pass. It's not that they're lying to you. It's that lots of serious people who see said tattoo will think you're an idiot.

Hope this helps.

_________________
"Betrayed by the land that bore us, forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the World is a World full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man that dies."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:31 am 
Offline
* * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 894
Location: Aurora, CO
I'm gonna be a smartass and say a revolver is the best handgun for a supressor. :D

_________________
Idiocracy was a documentary.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 am 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 1329
Caenus wrote:
Yup. Oh, did you not invite the rest of the folks in Arizona?
Didn't know we had a chapter going.

Well then, lets take us all to the best place for us all then. I'll start a thread over there.

Another Gemtech plug. It seems the old guys like Gemtech better because they were around and making the best suppressor way back before the internet happened. It seems the younger guys like AAC. I have Gemtech cans (mostly). Everyone is good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:04 am
Posts: 595
Location: Wichita, KS
DavePAL84 wrote:
Aside from what's already been posted (of which I agree with, especially sammage's post :mrgreen: ), I have more to add:

Check out the size and weight of pistol suppressors. They're huge and heavy. Shooting suppressed pistols (with the exception of a .22lr) isn't really all that much fun. Now, for a pistol caliber carbine (like a 9mm AR, if you want to deal with that PITA) they make much more sense.

It was either post that, or say the USP 45 since it works for me in Call of Duty. :lol:

_________________
crypto wrote:
Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.

Lionheart wrote:
Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Posts: 9308
Location: Seattle, WA
sammage wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:
Aside from what's already been posted (of which I agree with, especially sammage's post :mrgreen: ), I have more to add:

Check out the size and weight of pistol suppressors. They're huge and heavy. Shooting suppressed pistols (with the exception of a .22lr) isn't really all that much fun. Now, for a pistol caliber carbine (like a 9mm AR, if you want to deal with that PITA) they make much more sense.

It was either post that, or say the USP 45 since it works for me in Call of Duty. :lol:

Nah. Best supressed weapon is an AA-12 with a supressor and extended mags, or just extended mags and scavenger pro. People get so pissed when you run around with a shotgun. That is why I do it lmao.

_________________
Thanks Anianna!
Image

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:53 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Oregon City, OR
Image

I personally prefer this one (I'm biased though) :D

_________________
You'll never survive 3005


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:37 am
Posts: 799
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Honestly though, I would really like to see how effective my FNP-45 would perform with a can since most 45 ACP is subsonic anyhoo.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Toeson, MD
I vote for my HK45Tac with SWR HEMSII can. Sounds like a nail gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm
Posts: 574
Ebby wrote:
Not trying to sound like a mall ninja, just curious. I was watching a movie with a friend last night and the subject came up. I have my hands full with other projects right now but I would like to own a suppressor somewhere down the road. I'm not interested in BATFE stuff, that's a long ways off. But what (centerfire) pistol would be the easiest or most effective to suppress, and why? And not to start a 9mm vs. .45 thread, but what caliber would be best suited for use with a suppressor?


Aftermarket threaded barrels can be purchased for just about any pistol.

To my knowledge only 3 companies sell pistols with factory threaded barrels: H&K, Sig, and FN.

FN offers just one in .45.
H&K offers several in .45 and one in .40.
Sig offers several in 9mm and .45 and one in .22.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:12 pm
Posts: 129
Now correct me if I am wrong (like I needed to say that on this forum :D ) but isn't a floating barrel a bad thing for a suppressor? I thought a fixed barrel was necessary because the action on the handgun when shot would cause the barrel to angle back slightly. Because the suppressor is attached to the barrel, it will also tilt upwards.

Now, is this just a misconception of mine that a super fast action causing the barrel to tilt upwards could cause a collision of the bullet to the suppressor? Or does the bullet exit the barrel and the suppressor way to quickly for that to be a factor unless you've got a foot long suppressor?

_________________
-Andy
A high post count does not equal high intelligence


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:04 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 am
Posts: 4959
Location: Somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard
ChatWithaNinja wrote:
Now correct me if I am wrong (like I needed to say that on this forum :D ) but isn't a floating barrel a bad thing for a suppressor? I thought a fixed barrel was necessary because the action on the handgun when shot would cause the barrel to angle back slightly. Because the suppressor is attached to the barrel, it will also tilt upwards.

Now, is this just a misconception of mine that a super fast action causing the barrel to tilt upwards could cause a collision of the bullet to the suppressor? Or does the bullet exit the barrel and the suppressor way to quickly for that to be a factor unless you've got a foot long suppressor?



Well, I've got a suppressed Glock 21, and never had a baffle strike with it. I HAVE had a baffle strike on a FA M11/9mm smg, which has a fixed barrel.

_________________
"Betrayed by the land that bore us, forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the World is a World full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man that dies."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group