Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rifle Caliber Pistols?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:52 pm 

I thought I knew a decent amount about guns, but i was wondering do these exist, if so are they legal in the U.S. does anyone have pictures or links or experiences with them? I did see an earlier post about a pistol using the same rounds as the FN90. So I'd like to know more anyone want to help out with this?

"Our dog is a good hunter/ killer too. He has taken ground hogs before and could likely land something much larger if he could get a hold of it. The difference is that he is doesn't play psychological games with his prey. He kills it, eats it and rolls around in the remains. Just like people" - Blacksmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:08 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

There's some.

Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:
BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)

But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html - Errors in English Usage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 pm 

There are, or were several manufacturers who produced rifle caliber pistols. Thompson Center, Remington, Savage, and I think that even IMI was making one for a while. They have been pretty popular for big game hunting in the past, but I really have not heard much about these kind of firearms lately. I never really had any interest in them myself.

Here is one made by ultralight arms in .308

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm 

Mind if you answer a few questions to better help direct the discussion?

1.) Are you interested in a pistol that shoots rifle cartridges? If so, for what purpose? Fun and recreation, hunting, self defense?
2.) How much do you enjoy having your ears ring? If you don't enjoy it, pass on getting one.

The shorter the barrel, the more accurate. This is generally the case because shorter barrels have less harmonic vibration. However, after 300 yards or so the environment and gravity can effect the path of a bullet to a greater extent than one travelling a few hundred FPS faster. Secondly, modern barrels with flutting, 4150 steel, etc are often just as accurate as their shorter cousins.

Take a looking and Thompson Encore pistols, you can find a single shot model in virtually any rifle caliber, but with a 14" barrel I don't know if that's really what you had in mind. YMMV

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:21 pm 

The Kel-Tec PLR-16 is an interesting piece in that it can be fired one-handed or in a standard pistol grip easily without needing a sling to brace it like you would with an AK pistol or a SIG-556 pistol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:32 pm 

I have an Automag III that fires .30 Carbine. Does that count?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:33 pm 

OpelBlitz wrote:
There's some.

oh alright

donjulio wrote:
There are, or were several manufacturers who produced rifle caliber pistols. Thompson Center, Remington, Savage, and I think that even IMI was making one for a while. They have been pretty popular for big game hunting in the past, but I really have not heard much about these kind of firearms lately. I never really had any interest in them myself.

Here is one made by ultralight arms in .308

oh thats pretty cool ill look into all of those thanks

Sig_Ocelot wrote:
Mind if you answer a few questions to better help direct the discussion?

1.) Are you interested in a pistol that shoots rifle cartridges? If so, for what purpose? Fun and recreation, hunting, self defense?
2.) How much do you enjoy having your ears ring? If you don't enjoy it, pass on getting one.

The shorter the barrel, the more accurate. This is generally the case because shorter barrels have less harmonic vibration. However, after 300 yards or so the environment and gravity can effect the path of a bullet to a greater extent than one travelling a few hundred FPS faster. Secondly, modern barrels with flutting, 4150 steel, etc are often just as accurate as their shorter cousins.

Take a looking and Thompson Encore pistols, you can find a single shot model in virtually any rifle caliber, but with a 14" barrel I don't know if that's really what you had in mind. YMMV

Fun and recreation (funsies is the best reason to buy guns im assuming) and self defence
The ear ringing doesnt bother me
Redsaber75 wrote:
The Kel-Tec PLR-16 is an interesting piece in that it can be fired one-handed or in a standard pistol grip easily without needing a sling to brace it like you would with an AK pistol or a SIG-556 pistol.

Sig 556 is something im going to look into but im also going to look inti the Kel tec

"Our dog is a good hunter/ killer too. He has taken ground hogs before and could likely land something much larger if he could get a hold of it. The difference is that he is doesn't play psychological games with his prey. He kills it, eats it and rolls around in the remains. Just like people" - Blacksmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:39 pm 

The Kel Tec and Sig 556 just look like carbines minus stocks
I meant like semi autos Pistols like that automag
Salem wrote:
I have an Automag III that fires .30 Carbine. Does that count?

can i have more info on this gun
My idea was if i could find a pistol that fired rifle caliber rounds then i could save a little money as far as Ammo goes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:54 pm 

Garyedge wrote:
can i have more info on this gun

Sure thing. Anything specific?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMT_AutoMag_III

I haven't seen that many for sale but the ones that were could be had for around $500-$700.

My experiences with this particular one has been wonderful. It's fairly big but not too heavy or unbalanced. It has also been pretty accurate as I can routinely pop cans around at around 25-30 yards. I've never had one single hiccup.

And I love the fact that it shares ammo with my M1 Carbine.

*edited...don't think it was that far lol

Last edited by Salem on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:01 pm 

ultralight arms in .308 i couldnt find an actual link to it on the first 3 pages of google, so does this gun have an internal magazine or does it have to be load each time its fired

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:08 pm 

I'm a big fan of the M1 carbine and that might influence my decision.
I was gunna ask about the length, does it make it hard to draw or inconveint to carry in your experience?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:09 pm 

Warning: SBR measure twice cut once but call the ATF first

my blog: GarandThumb.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:17 pm 

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of them. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

There's the Weatherby CFP

There's the Thompson Contender

The Savage Arms Striker 516FSAK

Rem XP-100

Magnum Research Lone Eagle

My father was a real nut when it came to these kind of guns and he used to love his Contender. To me there were always kind of a neither 'Fish Nor Fowl' kind of gun, but I guess when handgun hunting season comes they really give you an edge on someone using a S.A. .44 Mag with iron sights.

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:18 pm 

FN Five-seven was the pistol i was looking for specifically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-Seven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:24 pm 

Browning 35 wrote:
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of them. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

There's the Weatherby CFP

There's the Thompson Contender

The Savage Arms Striker 516FSAK

Rem XP-100

Magnum Research Lone Eagle

My father was a real nut when it came to these kind of guns and he used to love his Contender. To me there were always kind of a neither 'Fish Nor Fowl' kind of gun, but I guess when handgun hunting season comes they really give you an edge on someone using a S.A. .44 Mag with iron sights.

Now these hunting and target type pistols that are Rifle caliber are extremely intresting to me. Like when i first look at them i compeltely wrote them off, but now i wonder what its like to shoot them as far as target shooting goes, have you fired these and whats it like

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:28 pm 

Garyedge wrote:
I was gunna ask about the length, does it make it hard to draw or inconveint to carry in your experience?

I've never holstered it so I can't accurately comment.

Totally length is about 10", so it might not be the quickest draw lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:34 pm 

Garyedge wrote:
FN Five-seven was the pistol i was looking for specifically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-Seven

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.

I must have one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Magnum Research BFR 45-70 5 shot revolver.

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 pm 

Garyedge wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:

Now these hunting and target type pistols that are Rifle caliber are extremely intresting to me. Like when i first look at them i compeltely wrote them off, but now i wonder what its like to shoot them as far as target shooting goes, have you fired these and whats it like

Out of those the one I have the most experience with is the Thompson Contender (because my father owned one and he had 6-7 barrels for various calibers with his) and the Savage Striker (a varmint hunting obsessed friend of mine owns one in 22-250 that's a varmint killing machine). I've never fired any of the others listed above, just heard and read about them.

To be honest the first time I fired a Thompson Contender was when I was about 12-13 and I was actually a little apprehensive about firing a pistol and that was chambered in a rifle cartridge. Just because my father could handle it (he was 6'5 and 240 lbs) didn't mean that I wasn't going to break my wrists if I tried it (I was kind of tall and skinny at that time). In all reality it really wasn't that bad just so long as you took a proper stance with the Contender (I think he took it easy on me the first time and I ended up using the .30 Herrett-eventually I ended up graduating to the .35 Rem and later the 45/70).

Now days with the newer bolt action pistols complete with muzzle breaks you now longer have to worry about a great deal of recoil while using full house loads. They maybe louder than all hell, but it does a great deal to cut down on the recoil. The newer offerings in this class also seem a whole lot more accurate than the Contenders of old (maybe it was just me, but shooting a .30 Herrett and then a .35 Rem and then a 45/70 at 12-13 while worried about banging the thing off my forehead from the recoil compared to shooting a 22-250 at 37 yrs old is quite a bit of difference in age, weight and experience and a huge decrease in caliber).

From what I understand there are even competition shoots with this class of pistols where they're turning in sub-moa groups (I don't have any experience with that kind of thing at all, just heard that they had them and watched a couple of those shoots on cable before). So they are very accurate. I've thought about buying one now and then (probably in .223 Rem or 22-250), but it's just one of those kinds of guns that I've never gotten around to buying or getting into. Maybe someday.

That's the best I can do, but other than those two particular guns the only experience I have with them is reading about them inside the pages of various gun rags.

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:29 pm 

A couple of years ago when I was spending more time behind the gun shop counter than in front, a guy came in and was telling me about his .308 pistol. I want to say it was made by Pachmayr but I'm not certain. (It was a name that you'd associate with accessories rather than guns at any rate). He said that he could get 3-4 shots off before his hand went numb :shock: . Not really my kind of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:03 am 

You know, the CZ-52 and Tokarev almost fit this category.

7.62x25 is roughly the same power as 5.7x27mm, and there are several tests that show it will penetrate vests even out of a pistol barrel. Granted, you don't see many rifles chambered in 7.62x25 (or many pistols nowadays), but you can still find CZ's and Toks if you look, and you can also find semi-auto only PPSH carbines online PPSh-41 and PPSh-43 and even the PPSh-43 pistol here at Military Gun Supply. I've seen them other places, but usually with much higher prices.

The CZ-52 and Tokarev can be found starting at $250 (and up, up, up! for Tok's with collector value). They have the old-style mag releases (at the bottom of the pistol grip, not where modern pistols put them) and single-stack magazines, but they're still effective, and they're fun to shoot.

I'm sure I'll get some disagreement about this qualifying as a rifle-caliber pistol, but I think that if the 5.7mm counts, the 7.62x25 should, too. They both have more speed, range, and anti-armor ability than other handgun rounds by a long shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:09 am 

1911 in .308 :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:41 am 

Friend's AK pistol 7.62x39.. Can do 2inch groups @ 50 yards w/o a problem with IRONS!!!
He uses Yugo ammo (corrosive) and there is NO flash at all. Like the others said this is beyond F'in LOUD.
Lots of fun plinking w/. He uses BHO Yugo mags that stay open w/o the mag and release when he nudges the safety..

Krink SBR'ed, but you dont have to SBR yours :D
5.45x39 AKS-74u = LOVE IT Cheap enough to plink, but too expensive to buy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:58 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Garyedge wrote:

Since the AutoMag was mentioned...

If you like revolvers, also check out the Ruger Blackhawk, which can also be found in .30 Carbine.

Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:
BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)

But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html - Errors in English Usage