It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 pm 

I will write up what I learned ... what the - "damn, wish I would of know how to better of done that to save an hour..." lessons learned.
First off:
It will turn out perfect if you take your time.

Not one part of this requires any advanved skills beyond having tools, trigger control on a variable speed drill and patience.
Like most everything in life (unless your McGiver) doesn't require you to get a bigger hammer or requires are sawzaw / hacking skills.

Total time required. 3 hours.
Almost all of it was spent on taking off the tang (part on that sticks over the orginal stock).
I spent close to 5 hours over two evenings. More on the reason later... this is the part that is a lesson learned.

Please ...
Standby...
Basic "sporting" configuration 19" Barrel. $500 cost in NOV

Field Stripped + *Stock removal
Removing the stock with ease seems to be hit and miss from the people I have talked to and read. Mine was pretty easy, took a couple love taps at an angle to get it to show signs of coming off.
Reminder... there are 3 screws.

This photo shows the layout of all the parts that were ordered.
Everything (not the shotgun) was purchased from http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/ Fast, simple shopping exprience. I found that he had everything in-stock, fast shipping.
Everything in the picture for this conversion:
RECEIVER BLOCK- SAIGA INTERNAL STOCK ADAPTER $45.00
TAP SAW GRIP-SAIGA, AK47 SAW-STYLE PISTOL $18.95
10-10/32 RECEIVER BLOCK- SAIGA INTERNAL STOCK ADAPTER HARDWARE $4.00
ACE-FSM-PB STOCK-FOLDING MECHANISM PUSH BUTTON SAIGA -AK47 $89.95
2-10/32 STOCK-FOLDING MECHANISM SAIGA- AK47 SPARE SCREWS $1.00
TRIGGER GROUP-TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP $49.00
TRIGGER GUARD-SAIGA 12 TROMIX D-I-Y $45.00
ACE-STOCK-ORIG STOCK-ACE FOR ALL SAIGA'S AND AK47'S 8.5" $65
Total: $319 +shipping (about $15 I think)

Below you see the neck that sits right in front of the "j" part of the stock. I saved this part of the fun to the last part (cutting it off...) You will also be removing the trigger guard and the plate that is below it.
I used a variable speed Dewalt drill with the shogun turn on it's top and secured in a gun cleaning vice.
I first used a $3 spring loaded punch from Harbor Fright to make sure the drill bit to roll off the rivit (2 round way front way back, 1 on the front side of the trigger guard, 1 under side of the trigger guard).
You can see what looks like white dots - this is after I used the punch about 5 -10 times on each.

I decided to remove the trigger group so it was damaged and easier cleanup of the metal fillings.
I used a slightly larger drill bit to take off the edges of the flared out edges - then I used two of the semi matching sized punches from Brownells to remove the two rear trigger pins. Took a couple VERY LIGHT taps. If it doesn't move at all... drill a bit more. Again... it will turn out perfect if you take your time.
No you don't need Brownell puches :)

This is close up of the new trigger group from TAPCO modified by Tromix to make it easier (less mods required).
Along with the removed orginal trigger group, safety, Bolt hold open and springs.
Grab a bowl / small box and everything you drill / punch removed into the bowl. You'll thank me later for not losing anything that will be needed.

Below is the cleaned out recevier. I wiped it out with Hopps to help again with metal sticking to the oil / sticky crap in there.

Here is where I started drilling out the rivits. I used Bullet Drill bits from Black and Decker. These have a nub that keeps the bit lined up and doesn't jump out /slide as your drilling. Priceless!
I drilled until I could pull off the trigger guard off, don't get crazy and do high speed RPMS with your drill. Go slow. blow off or vacum the metal off as you drill a little more until the rivit rounded head is removed to the point of using a punch to "TAP" it out (through). Again... nothing requires brute force in this conversion.

With the trigger guard removed, you can see the "sporting" configuration trigger hole and the cover plate - which is covering
the trigger hole that you'll be using in the conversion. Drill out the final rivit (use the spring loaded punch again!)

OMG (rust).
Cover plate removed. There is rust. Great.

Quick 'rough in' on how the new Tromix D-Y-I trigger guard will look - With the new trigger staged.

Quick 'rough in' on how the new Tromix D-Y-I trigger guard & "SAW" grip. Saw grip requried me to remove the plastic burs to fit over the back part of the new trigger guard.

To take care of the rust: I used Naval Jelly ($4 Home Depot) to remove the rust, then wiped it down after a few minutes.
Used Acetone for a quick no grease clean(VERY BAD STUFF KIDS! Use it OUTDOORS!) I then used Krylon Camo Flat black after doing a tape off.

After painting / drying. It's time to install the DIY Tromix trigger guard.
Blue Loctite - $6 Home Depot

Another quick 'rough in view' of future of this Saiga 12 Conversion

Here is a view from above to show you the 3 bolts installed. Remember: slow is fast :)
Shake the loctite before using it on the threads.

Here is the part that took the longest.
I setup a rough workstation in the garage so no sees a crazy guy cutting up a perfectly good shotgun. :P
Vice with duct tape to keep from scratch up the shotgun - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! Yes, the shotgun is tough, tough 'sheet metal' :|
Crafstman Dremel, gloves, safety glasses (VERY Important - saved me).

I had to buy a cutoff kit, Sears $12 Buy the kit $12 or buy only 5 cutoffs wheels for $8 - you choose :)

Here I already started cutting off the tang.

My cutting skills in action. Shortly after my daughter took this great action shot, the cermic / stone disk shattered.
Safety glasses are a good thing. Lesson learned!!! Use saftey glasses AND use the fiberglass cutoff wheels - NOT the stone cutoff wheels.

The tang is gone. (see the shattered cutoff disk to the left) I was attempting to be very careful by not cutting off the too much metal. Well... you can't glue the metal back on. I should of cut off more then the tang in the first cut - this is one reason it took me so long. Hours longer. Grind away. Cut grind. repeat.

Well it's done. Lesson Learned: The back of the receiver is NOT squared off. You need to do this and make the bottom filed off - only if the it's not squared. I didn't notice until I spent too much time filing.
Next: see those two holes (each side of the receiver) these are too small to accept the receiver stock adapter (internal). Drill then open just enough to take the receiver stock screws. Loctite them after making sure everything fits together.
Make sure you finish your conversion by painting any metal in the white (silver). Don't let rushing the job make you forget.

FINISHED FOLDED

FINISHED OPEN

The final photo of it looks great. But it folds way too close to the charging handle. I'll be flipping the folding block so the Ace stock will flip to the other (left side).
I chose to use the push button locked folding block. I wanted the stock to lock up solid. It was $24 more then the other very nice spring loaded stock folder block. *It's your choice.

I would do this again anytime.

Be happy to answer any questions best I can.

I'm planning on having it bead blasted - then re-powder coated. Don't know if I'll put black on it again. Maybe tan powder coating - there are so many black ones out there already - hehe

I'll post with an update after this weekend test run.

UPDATED:
It goes bang. Added the CHAOS tri-rail and Chaos gas check thing

UPDATED DEC 2009
After 2009 Christmas

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Last edited by FriedCheese on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:58 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I like it :D

Those Surefire mags are certainly fucking massive though

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
+1 on massive fucking magazine...looks totally awesome, though. Just the sight of that thing with it's massive banana-mag would scare the shit out of most people, much less seeing it firing a string of 00 Buck.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 pm 

Oh man that looks sweet, I'm pretty sure you could use those magazines to beat someone to death when you run out of ammo. Nice work.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm 

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:14 pm 

Man, that looks really good. Makes me realize that I really need to do the conversion on mine.

When the economy stops sucking and construction starts up again that is.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:58 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Oh my that is nice!

My Saiga is still in dork configuration. It's got the Tapco stock with pistol grip, but the trigger is still in the "shoulder thing that goes up" location.

How do those SureFire mags handle? I've got the AGP 10-rounders, and an MD 20-round drum. Those SureFire mags seem really ungainly.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 pm 

Nice build!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 pm 

I held my first S12 today and felt its pure awesomeness. Your conversion seems to make me head in that direction. After I finish my AR and a few other gadgits I want anyways...

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Looks like someone's trying to talk me into the ACE internal receiver block for my MAK90... :lol:

(Okay, not really. But I've been nervous about taking a cut off wheel to the tang of my rifle, and seeing someone else do it kind of makes the thought easier.)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 pm 

Outstanding pics. Build = Win.

I need to hunt me up a Saiga 12... It could be a duck gun.... yeah thats it - ducks.

Will that take 3" shells?

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

northernxposure wrote:

Indeed it will sir

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:35 pm 

I haven't used the Surfire Mag yet. I purchased it only cause it's different then all my AGP. It really is big. I think I like the AGP's better, but I'll run 100 rds - if it runs smooth it'll be worth buying one more.

Good times!

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 pm 

DavePAL84 wrote:
northernxposure wrote:

Indeed it will sir

Thank you, Dave.

NXP

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 pm 

Thanks a lot, ASS

I just traded my 11-87 in on a SAIGA 12 today.The price was a little steep ($630 and I still owe on it), but I got a a total boner over it. I'm not interested in the pistol grip or folding stock at once, but just the cheapest way to make it legal for the 12ers. Your SAIGA is most indubitably kick ass.
And the "ASS" part was sarcasm.

Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:43 am 

Very fine work!
I'm interested in how that stock holds up. Please do a follow up after you've banged some rounds thru it.

BTW, I really like the Surefire mag. Load it with only 10 and you can actually change mags without the bolt being open. (mag changes are the boogeroo on the Saiga 12, IMO)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:57 am 

where did you purchase your conversion kit from? did it come with everything needed? thanks in advance :) 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:43 pm 

What has not been mentioned here is keeping the Saiga 922r compliant. If simply change to a 10 round mag the weapon is illegal (counts as 3 922r parts). you must keep the foreign parts count under 10 to keep it legal. The Saiga 12 has 14 parts that fall under 922r., so to put an after market mag in it you must change at least two more parts, but then you can't use the stock 5 round mag. Changing the FCG out like the op did will fix this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:01 pm 

Very cool! Great tutorial!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Very nice post. I am going to get around to converting mine one of these days, and this will be a big help. I'm nominating this one for the hall of fame.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:02 pm 

Thanks very much for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:48 pm 

fart_plume wrote:
What has not been mentioned here is keeping the Saiga 922r compliant. If simply change to a 10 round mag the weapon is illegal (counts as 3 922r parts). you must keep the foreign parts count under 10 to keep it legal. The Saiga 12 has 14 parts that fall under 922r., so to put an after market mag in it you must change at least two more parts, but then you can't use the stock 5 round mag. Changing the FCG out like the op did will fix this.

Whoops... Stay 922r compliant kids. If you do the above - you'll be compliant :)

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:52 pm 

Location: Homebrewing.... Disguise your drinking problem as a hobby!
WOW. Thanks for the write up and pics.

Your ass.
squinty wrote:

Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:54 pm 

HighwayStarPP wrote:
where did you purchase your conversion kit from? did it come with everything needed? thanks in advance :) 8)

I purchased from I think 3 places due to some being out of stock and I am not one who enjoys waiting for back logged parts to show up.
Most of the parts came from arolina Shooters Supply http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront The stock and stock parts came from ACE http://www.riflestocks.com/index2.htm

I haven't seen a "complete kits" as people seem to have different ideas on how and what parts they want where...

When I build another - I will buy the $15 part to have tig welded in place in place of the trunion adapter ($45) for the stock and do the tig welded trigger guard in place of the DIY trigger guard.

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶